Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Fantastic update once again! Glad to see more of the world!

The Canadians seem to be enjoying their peace and quiet. Other than a negatively-viewed speech by de Gaulle, which did happen IOTL, Canada is just prospering along. Of course, there’s much to be said about how the concerns with the UK’s current handling of Rhodesia, but I think we’ll see the ramnifications of that later. For now, with Lester B. Pearson retiring from PM, the question will be who’ll take over in the elections. I suspect that the Linerals will be highly supported, and a Trudeau might take the torch.

Ahh, those Russians. With Khrushchev retiring from leadership of a stronger giant, there must always be politics to muck things up. Specifically, the conservatives wanted a conservative head piece to counter Kosygin’s liberalism, so they placed Yuri, as IOTL, as head of the KGB. This will be an interesting dynamic, especially with the Prague Spring coming up in Czechoslovakia. While Yuri favored an invasion to intervene, Kosygin did initially resist IOTL. Now, as the General Secretary, I think he’s going to stand by his words.

In Cuba, I can see Che and Fidel concerned with the state of affairs. With the change of power occurring, and the upcoming elections, Cuba needs another ally to protect itself. And they decided to slowly become closer to China, which will involve them into probable genocide. I think that while Che might justify these murders, Castro will be horrified and might rethink it.

All in all, another fantastic update!

Thank you as always, ImperialTheorist! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed the update. :) Your analysis is spot on and the situation between Kosygin and Andropov once the Prague Spring hits will most certainly get an update of its own. I'm glad you all are liking the more global lens for TTL. American Politics and History has always been my favorite and forte, of course, but I really enjoy expanding things to get more perspective and potential storylines going. Can't let the U.S. have all the fun! ;)

@President_Lincoln have you watched RFK's speech on the death of MLK?

I have. The speech is beautiful and cements for me why RFK is a personal hero of mine IRL. :) Dude had so much empathy and compassion, not to mention oratorical skills.

Glad to hear Pearson goes down in the history books as one of Canada's greatest PMs. As for Kosygin...well, good luck, comrade. You're going to need it.

Is Cuba attempting to pull a Yugoslavia between China and the Soviet Union (as opposed to East and West)? If so, I hope it's successful for Castro.

This timeline is getting pretty darn interesting, if I do say so myself! We all thought 1967 was hectic, I imagine it'll be nothing compared to 1968 (as per OTL, but at the same time, not really).

Keep it up!

Thank you, Aero! :D I really appreciate it. :) Here's hoping TTL's 1968 lives up to the hype (and chaos) that we've been building toward. ;)

That's great! Keep up the good work!

I'm panning on taking my TL to the 60's, and a spinoff beyond that, so I know the feeling. All that constant excitement in your brain; a mixture of angst, thrill and bliss :winkytongue:.

You've captured that feeling exactly, IntellectuallyHonestRhino. I always have a giddy bit of nervousness when it's time to post a new update. Thankfully, you guys are the best audience a writer could ever ask for. Thank you all so much!

Good update, @President_Lincoln. I like the snapshots of various countries (wonder who'll become leader in the Soviet Union)...

BTW, Cuba is going to sorely regret getting involved in Cambodia, I can just see it...

As for the title, Up, Up, and Away was a song sung originally by the 5th Dimension and released in July of 1967, so congrats for continuing the pattern...

Waiting for more, and looking forward to 1968...

BTW, did the Six-Day War occur ITTL?

Good update, @President_Lincoln. I like the snapshots of various countries (wonder who'll become leader in the Soviet Union)...

BTW, Cuba is going to sorely regret getting involved in Cambodia, I can just see it...

As for the title, Up, Up, and Away was a song sung originally by the 5th Dimension and released in July of 1967, so congrats for continuing the pattern...

BTW, did the Six-Day War occur ITTL?

Thank you, Unknown! Glad you enjoyed the update. :) The Six Day War did happen ITTL as per OTL.

Cuba getting involved in Cambodia will certainly have it's consequences...

Man, Pearson is PISSED at de Gaulle!XD

Some thanks Semichastny got from his country, but at least his retirement package didn't include a bullet to the back of the head.

I was hoping Cambodia would be spared the 'Democratic' Kampuchea regime of the Khmer Rouge, knowing the maelstrom of seemingly endless, brutal, psychotic murder it was OTL. Here's hoping it's significantly abridged by the international community ATL.

Great update over all! :biggrin:

Man, Pearson is PISSED at de Gaulle!XD

Some thanks Semichastny got from his country, but at least his retirement package didn't include a bullet to the back of the head.

I was hoping Cambodia would be spared the 'Democratic' Kampuchea regime of the Khmer Rouge, knowing the maelstrom of seemingly endless, brutal, psychotic murder it was OTL. Here's hoping it's significantly abridged by the international community ATL.

Great update over all! :biggrin:

Thank you very much! :)

Pop Culture 1967
Pop Culture in 1967: Peace, Love, and Rock & Roll

ADLStI7AcbSYMqyI8iFF3zmQh8U1T6upTUIQ8Acj3S4eYZwn-NVAZ1UjRQPUffdF5mgaSr4Y3coV6ZLzDXBQIb8u7hdjPtHAgF15zFPNiPWLeWXi_vMITkfSX0l5P2SIykUzVJfQ

Billboard’s Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1967 (Top 10)

1. “To Sir with Love” - Lulu

2. “The Letter” - The Box Tops

3. “I’m a Believer” - The Monkees

4. “Light My Fire” - The Doors

5. “I Think We’re Alone Now” - Tommy James and the Shondells

6. “Respect” - Aretha Franklin

7. “Happy Together” - The Turtles

8. “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” - Frankie Valli

9. “Ruby Tuesday” - Elvis Presley (Rolling Stones Cover)

10. “All You Need is Love” - The Beatles

News in Music, Through the Year

January 4th - The Doors release their eponymous debut album.

January 14th - At the Human Be-In in San Francisco, live music is provided by Big Brother and the Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, and several other groups.

NjomxIc4v1GbLDM8rQ8XuK6OI8xqaqX3l75_5RlW54Lh3RsqIG7SUmSa3FSwWcbXL8BnAivfOpHieAMpLA_A2SSR7FPaeLiowfe9hpIExYA9C5jb42uP_Er4d1qbh2mZ05CnIrUu

February 16th - “Aretha Franklin Day” is declared in Detroit, Michigan.

March 11th - The Beatles appear on American Bandstand and announce work on a new album. This will become Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

March 25th - The Who perform their first concert in the United States in New York City.

March 31st - Kicking off a UK tour with Cat Stevens in London, England, Jimi Hendrix of Buster and the Battery finishes his band’s set by lighting his guitar on fire. A Rock tradition is born.

99KufoEo79NUMOu3JTIZzqrnJqI9yCOh3VnN8vDz7Q2h0ikI2nW3Zf9P4xCxhDxYT0FDs1NXHfvHa-aCnSGi2LgC4Qsi9rxEbaw9CAGU3uwZvIH674QJZXa_YfMzMl1z9xxjw1Vi

May 1st - Paul McCartney reveals that all four of the Beatles have “dropped acid”. On the same day, Elvis Presley makes a statement announcing his “disappointment” that the Beatles have taken to using psychedelic drugs.

May 2nd - After begging with Capitol Records for more time, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys release Smile to widespread commercial and critical acclaim. The leading single, “Good Vibrations” quickly goes platinum.

June 1st - Sgt. Pepper’s, widely seen as the most influential Rock album of all time is released by the Beatles.

June 16th - 18th - The Monterey Pop Festival, one of the first of its kind, is held, with over 55,000 in attendance.

June 25th - In the first ever worldwide television broadcast, the Beatles perform “All You Need is Love” with Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones, and members of the Who singing backup vocals. Elvis Presley was invited to attend, but was undergoing rehab at the time and so was forced to pass.

August 23rd - Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein is saved from a potentially fatal overdose of carbitral, a form of barbiturate, when Paul McCartney follows him home after a recording session at Abbey Road, suspecting that something was up with him. McCartney rushes Epstein to the hospital and the doctors there manage to save his life, much to the relief of the band.

JQ6btpKaNMhHq75lHu4bTSiwCoaNrZ-fWBjPReVN-SNDiYlYbDHEJO-BeM_6PepmFLkiLS0LblB78oAMMcVKH_hlee6f6ZVLiJXuwNNNLOMpotgGfz2Fb7i9Km3VYsdwH_adGrAW

September 17th - The Doors are banned from the Ed Sullivan Show after Jim Morrison refuses to change the line “Girl we couldn’t get much higher” from “Light My Fire”.

October 14th - Tammi Terrell faints and collapses into duet partner Marvin Gaye’s arms onstage during a performance at the Hampton University Homecoming in Virginia. She was later diagnosed with a brain tumor, and die from brain cancer in 1970 at the age of 24.

October 18th - The first issue of Rolling Stone rolls off the presses in San Francisco, California. The inaugural cover features John Lennon biting his lip and winking at the camera.

November 22nd - Otis Redding records “Sittin’ On the Dock of the Bay”.

December 5th - George Harrison begins recording tracks for Wonderwall Music, what will ultimately become his first solo album.

December 10th - Otis Redding and his backing band, the Bar-Keys survive a crash landing of their plane outside of Madison, Wisconsin. Considered a “very close call” by the injured pilot, the plane nearly crashed into Lake Monona, which would surely have been fatal. Besides scrapes, bruises, and a few broken bones, no one is seriously hurt.

3wphGabC5rXBny8trUDxV9JT8QLjBVFqL1tvRhs7eM46gVNZ7937AKSG1CWzt2iNvzZC09iXKCD4qfmbRBU99W6aIdW8nfV3oP4oJFG3weggW8EQJdB82rK-y9uJ2C9FPyw19SCG

1967 in Film: The Year’s Biggest

The Graduate - Romantic comedy-drama. Directed by Mike Nichols and starring Dustin Hoffman (in his film acting debut), Marilyn Monroe, and Ann-Margret Presley. By far the highest grossing film of the year, The Graduate won an Academy Award for Best Director for Nichols and was nominated for six other categories as well. The performances of the three stars were widely praised, and Monroe was said to give “the finest performance of her career”. The film would go on to be iconic of the era, a bona fide classic.

The Jungle Book - Animated musical-comedy. Directed by Wolfgang Reitherman and produced by Walt Disney. The Jungle Book would be the last film to be personally approved by Disney before his passing the year before. This, combined with beautiful animation, fantastic voicework, and a superb score catapulted the film into massive critical and commercial success.

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner - Comedy-drama. Directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Sidney Poitier, Spencer Tracy, and Katharine Hepburn. Massively influential for its rarely positive depiction of interracial marriage, the film became a box office smash as well.

Bonnie and Clyde - Biographical/Action. Directed by Arthur Penn and starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Incredibly successful and controversial at the time for its graphic on screen depictions of violence and sexuality, Bonnie and Clyde would be pointed to as a major influence on the start of the “New Hollywood” era to follow. To the millions of young Americans involved with the counterculture, the film became a rallying cry to attack the establishment and was very popular.

8EraOaCRY6NOL4ctzYfC1rcLhuSbTNgTjSqdvpnax3tq7vKiYPNG7uJVbubmttF-5GWeD4nco8bZjsU6XmBHkvMdg11IfeOjkz4B1re5qzzoYEx6Jkp7PLBiKTax5GC5YDH-dJvg

Everyone’s Favorite Television Programs in 1967

Star Trek - Starring William Shatner, DeForest Kelley, and Leonard Nimoy.

Batman - Starring Adam West, Burt Ward, and Ceser Romero.

Bewitched - Starring Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York.

Green Acres - Starring Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor.

The Andy Griffith Show - Starring Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, and Ronnie Howard.

1967 in Sport

January 15th - The first “Super Bowl” is held between the AFL Champion Kansas City Chiefs and the NFL Champion Green Bay Packers. The Packers win 35 - 24.

UaAy5b315SgygL8QyPk4qliX3-UmIrCT5DJYexLynUK-28W28HEHU7gbbqIgq9LZmAZwGtXCypfIu6rTvaj--ryFQSStAdG-zOhk8Px1Fs_jkZpz6adnnB6xRcevwXzw49-eSMa-

The World Series: The St. Louis Cardinals continue the “Curse of the Bambino”, defeating the Boston Red Sox 4 games to 3. Cardinal Pitcher Bob Gibson is declared World Series MVP.

yTDKaBXUSNeN5CBtO2j2EhWBRuskqBHGpTT4ZLM3LRc4nJsgqzV4pemMbmR_7NQocd8yYTFxAqD6dJguVgzO9zK4BwVO6XV-n5ZeZCSccUr9L06xMvOU96-YIw1VPXdLV-QulrJ2

NBA Finals: The Philadelphia 76er’s go 4 games to 2 over the San Francisco Warriors.

B6wrMTnWJ9kAc8Bv0tHYknSPtvjeBFSE3Hnpux3PZ0hvb7yfd3s0O6E7UoXUt787aJMa9uFPq_0H8jsjTuWZfrDCWxAkKRnLf4NAFIRr41S6jdhuKouWe_6_N_NWSiQm6WBYPhgR

Stanley Cup: Toronto Maple Leafs win 4 games to 2 over the Montreal Canadiens during Canada’s centennial year.

8MW8suTMAJhBQTk7qLE7rOWUvms_WRt8mypzsJhs3w6qcQ0tx1CI9_lsEA6BaFQa9iHGDP3tL9I18R-z1CHv1TKUr-eRCF4c5E8XECCOkAcelMeiYO5ZkM7DF8tj7ct_4julFSQ6

Time Magazine’s Person of the Year: British Prime Minister Harold Wilson for his management of the War in Rhodesia.​

Q_PI83rpJhROnjJd0e2LaRv4x7AXmqgBPTE8peaG7wbPtrpcwmLyxNNY3TY6FcxuhlW7W2OJocXxY01TB_cAyYlM2A5-sAHzNTjIKO9D-BMdbUkJwpgaWhOkMV6Dl5OKmqeQOIue

Other Headlines from the Year

Throughout - Activist Ralph Nader’s book “Unsafe at Any Speed” helps raise the alarm about unsafe automotive designs in U.S. cars. In response, President Kennedy orders the foundation of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The board’s foundation will shortly thereafter lead to new safety standards including head rests, energy-absorbing steering wheels, shatter-resistant windshields, and safety belts.

December - The first successful human to human heart transplant is carried out by Dr. Christiaan Barnard in South Africa.

April - In Loving v. Virginia, the United States Supreme Court rules 6 - 3 that state bans on interracial marriage are unconstitutional under the 14th amendment’s “equal protection” promise.

Throughout - The People’s Republic of China tests its first Hydrogen bomb.

rbbJ0iqhwk8NKE1dh5p9K8fOILYoyAP7mzJoRvilz2sevyFbuBGhey3OhTiJKhcCcBwh7hXDyXQTTK5Eq2oGFaCq3SAsLsA6OJBovYAGfO_gL6G-csgJTWb71HwFEMOW8h-F8WfI

Throughout - The United Kingdom and Ireland officially apply once more for admission into the European Economic Community (EEC). Again, French President Charles de Gaulle blocks their admission, fearing that their membership would be a “trojan horse” for American influence into the organization.

qsa1_edEmVvLSw1DcN20yYEw1eOPo4kKDn_Wip57hZwJTSHwNSF9_L31_qqrnu0xeZcGnx7B1F4hO4akiU1IYwfCoD4voI8NtLgSjIg5l5tEHSYCkxvlM3YRB3M5fQvobrMhgnd_

Summer - Late in the summer of 67', Ann Margret, having finished filming for her role as Helga Brand in the latest James Bond film You Only Live Twice, found herself once again offered the role of Catwoman by ABC for their Batman television series, following the departure of actress Julie Newmar. Still intrigued by the prospect of joining the show, Margret would nonetheless surprise the producers after she instead began expressing more interest in playing as a relatively new Batman villianess from the comics instead, that of Poison Ivy, who premiered in the comics the year before. Excited at the prospect of bringing in the wife of Elvis Presley into the show, the character of Poison Ivy was quickly written into the new season with a large role, as the new love interest as well as enemy of the caped crusader; a character who's introduction would inadvertently also later on would give the Eco-Environment movement one of it's most prominent symbols and icons.

One major and important contribution to the Batman comic book lore resulting from the introduction of Poison Ivy into the show would be in giving a clearly defined origin story for the the comic book villianess, who lacked one at that point in time in the comics. This new origin, created by the shows executive producer William Dozier, would reveal that the character of Poison Ivy, born Pamela Isley, would have been a young childhood friend of Bruce Wayne, whose path of villainy as a eco-terrorist later in life would put the Batman at odds with his great sense of justice, and his heart. With a new origin and a major role in the new season, Margret's addition to the cast, alongside that of Yvonne Craig's casting as Batgirl, would help breathe new life into the shows declining ratings, allowing it to live beyond a third season and be green lite for a fourth season, scheduled for 1968.

Y82FOUckKYBYXaqlW32Y-ZRR_4iE8AEAi51dLNb5-io1RFsKzu1wBEz2AaLaUPuMm29RzodAlCLpTAthpl9iahE1Xb3brK_Fih_IpmhZbwhQIGa6d-z29BXicAHn_QB_VXrN2zB_

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: Politics as Usual?

Last edited:
Good update. Both Brian Epstein and Otis Redding live? This TL gets better and better (though I wonder when the butterflies are going to take away various stars)...

And Ann-Margaret as Poison Ivy is good, very good, especially if she's allowed to play her over-the-top...

Another smashing pop culture update! Interesting to hear Epstein and Redding live. It’s also interesting to hear that Batman has Poison Ivy and will have a fourth season. With ABC continuing having a strong show, I think the campiness might permeate themselves in the titular character.

Awesome update. Elvis's wife is getting some awesome acting chops.
Ooh, this is a good one!

Good update. Both Brian Epstein and Otis Redding live? This TL gets better and better (though I wonder when the butterflies are going to take away various stars)...

And Ann-Margaret as Poison Ivy is good, very good, especially if she's allowed to play her over-the-top...

Another smashing pop culture update! Interesting to hear Epstein and Redding live. It’s also interesting to hear that Batman has Poison Ivy and will have a fourth season. With ABC continuing having a strong show, I think the campiness might permeate themselves in the titular character.

Awesome update. Elvis's wife is getting some awesome acting chops.

Thank you all so much! :D I'm really glad you all enjoyed the update. :) Are there any Pop Culture vignettes you guys would like to see in the near future? I'm thinking of having one focus on the Beatles, seeing as we haven't had much of a chance to go into detail about them yet.

Thank you all so much! :D I'm really glad you all enjoyed the update. :) Are there any Pop Culture vignettes you guys would like to see in the near future? I'm thinking of having one focus on the Beatles, seeing as we haven't had much of a chance to go into detail about them yet.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Beatles will change. With Yoko Ona out of the picture and Epstein still alive, I expect the Beatles to be much closer. It’ll also be interesting to hear about PBS and it’s early years as NET, as well as some comedy shows across the Pond.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Beatles will change. With Yoko Ona out of the picture and Epstein still alive, I expect the Beatles to be much closer. It’ll also be interesting to hear about PBS and it’s early years as NET, as well as some comedy shows across the Pond.

You're definitely right about the Beatles, ImperialTheorist. There will still be creative clashes, of course, and they may very well take breaks from the band to pursue their own interests and solo careers, but Brian is a great unifying figure, and a lot of the stress that caused OTL's breakup will be different, if present at all.