Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Will look forward to those updates, the Vatican in particular, to see if Pope John Paul I, if he's elected in this TL, lives longer than he did in OTL.

I can't wait for the 1980 election!
Me too! I’m not sure if Nixon will win, but like I said before, I just feel like there has been too much foreshadowing and build-up for him just to die without ever getting the chance to become President at some point, or something like that. Maybe some other infamous guy will take up the reigns instead of him if he fails again?

Thank you for all of your kind words! :D It is always a splendid homecoming whenever I get a chance to return here to AH.com.

I am happy to announce that the update on Stephen King's works and their adaptations (1974 - 1980) is done! I will be posting it sometime this week. In the meantime, I thought I would try to keep interest up with a look at my planned schedule of updates...
Chapter 123 - Stephen King stuff (1974 - 1980)
Chapter 124 - World Affairs in 1979 (specifically, the Philippines, East & West Germany, South Korea, and the Vatican)
Chapter 125 - More World Affairs! (The Lebanese Civil War, Shiite uprising in Iraq, Egypt-Libya War, Sino-Vietnamese War, Salvadoran Civil War, etc)
Chapter 126 - Latin America Update (Mid to Late 70s ---> 1980)
Chapter 127 - Two HUGE Announcements to start the 1980 Presidential Election Cycle. One public. One private.
I've been reading for 2 years and I'm very excited that it's back after a hiatus!

Honestly with Bernie becoming Mayor early I could see Burlington becoming one of if not the best American city to reside in. Probably the first city to fully transition away from cars.

Got to have your back, Mr. President but I was wondering if you were going to return to northern Ireland because I was wondering how’s things going over there

Thank you! Yes, I do plan on returning to Northern Ireland soon. In fact, I should be able to add a section on it to the upcoming "World Affairs" updates. :)

Will look forward to those updates, the Vatican in particular, to see if Pope John Paul I, if he's elected in this TL, lives longer than he did in OTL.
I believe I mentioned in an earlier chapter that Karol Józef Wojtyła, OTL's Pope John Paul II, was elected Pope ITTL in 1978. ITTL, he uses the Polish Saint name that he originally wanted to use, as a statement of Polish pride, becoming Pope Stanislaus.

Thank you! Yes, I do plan on returning to Northern Ireland soon. In fact, I should be able to add a section on it to the upcoming "World Affairs" updates. :)

I believe I mentioned in an earlier chapter that Karol Józef Wojtyła, OTL's Pope John Paul II, was elected Pope ITTL in 1978. ITTL, he uses the Polish Saint name that he originally wanted to use, as a statement of Polish pride, becoming Pope Stanislaus.
Ah, forgot about that. Am thinking for a later Soviet update, Andropov, and who his successor will be, depending on his health situation.

Thank you for all of your kind words! :D It is always a splendid homecoming whenever I get a chance to return here to AH.com.

I am happy to announce that the update on Stephen King's works and their adaptations (1974 - 1980) is done! I will be posting it sometime this week. In the meantime, I thought I would try to keep interest up with a look at my planned schedule of updates...
Chapter 123 - Stephen King stuff (1974 - 1980)
Chapter 124 - World Affairs in 1979 (specifically, the Philippines, East & West Germany, South Korea, and the Vatican)
Chapter 125 - More World Affairs! (The Lebanese Civil War, Shiite uprising in Iraq, Egypt-Libya War, Sino-Vietnamese War, Salvadoran Civil War, etc)
Chapter 126 - Latin America Update (Mid to Late 70s ---> 1980)
Chapter 127 - Two HUGE Announcements to start the 1980 Presidential Election Cycle. One public. One private.
We'll be waiting for your upcoming chapters genius!
I forgot to ask you another question genius:
1. What happened between Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen? IOTL, Vicious killed Spungen while doing drugs. ITTL, what happened to them? Did they went on rehab to clean up their act and so does their band, The Clash to have a healthier and better life?
2. Does Barbara Walters still gonna be the famous journalist and newsanchor now that President Kennedy survived his assassination attempt in 1963? Because IOTL, that was her big break in the news. Would she will be at NBC co-hosting to hosting The Today Show ITTL? Or still gonna move to ABC and follow her same path IOTL?
3. Would the child stars of Different Strokes gonna have a healthier and better life in the 80's ITTL?
4. Would Nelson Mandela going to be a free man early in the 80's or still going to follow his same path IOTL?
5. Does United Arab Republic still exists or dissolves ITTL?
6. What's happening to the countries under The Warsaw Pact ITTL?
7. Would The Carpenters continue their music career if Karen continue to live beyond the 80's ITTL?
8. Would Steve McQueen, Natalie Wood, Marvin Gaye, Andy Kaufman, and Grace Kelly also continue to live ITTL throughout the 80's and beyond.
9. Does the War on Drugs continue or ended ITTL?
10. If PanAm continues to be a successful airlines beyond the 80's, then The Golden Age of Aviation is still happening ITTL. Does that mean that the Boeing 747 and Concorde also continue beyond the 80's ITTL? I also want to add about The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 of which President Carter signed that cause the decline of The Golden Age of Aviation IOTL. I hope President Udall extend the law again or make it permanent to not deregulate ITTL.
11. Is Harvey Milk going to live throughout the 80's and beyond ITTL now that he wasn't assassinated like IOTL?
12. Does all countries of Africa still continue having civil wars and other conflicts; or having a progress and prosperity towards a better future ITTL?
13. Does Kodak continue to be the successful photography business ITTL? Would Polaroid have a earlier success ITTL?
14. Would the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb continue to be successful singers/songwriters in the 80's?
15. Is Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton already divorced or still married ITTL?
Excuse me geniuses, I have another question to ask: What is Farrah Fawcett doing ITTL? Is she just following her OTL path or she's having a different path ITTL. I just want her to have a better life than it was IOTL. Did she leave Charlie's Angels like IOTL, or did she stay until the show ends ITTL?
Geniuses, I want to ask a question. The timeline forgot about on who will be the winners from the Miss Universe, Miss International, Miss World, and Miss Earth from 1963-Onwards ITTL? Is it going to be same like IOTL or there would be a lot of changes ITTL?
Geniuses, I have a question. What and where is Bobby Fischer ITTL? One of the greatest and complicated chess player of all time, and I don't know if he's still playing or went into recluse?
Forgive me genius for asking too many questions and hope for your answer because I'm just curious and anxious on what's going on to other situations while still in The Udall Administration.

LordYam

Banned
I'd really like to see a major post on the Polanski trial; I kinda imagine it being a MAJOR watershed moment for feminism.

Basically Polanski tries to plead out for lesser crimes; however, Samantha Geimer goes public about what happened. Marilyn Monroe however isn't having any of it and writes in defense of the victim; other feminists also come forwards to describe how they encounter that kind of predation on a daily basis. Shirley Temple talks about her own experiences publicly. This causes even otherwise conservative people to go "okay, maybe there really is something too this."

It could be mentioned that George Lucas and his wife had a discussion; George was surprised to hear that Marcia believed that Polanski was guilty, and she mentions some of the things she's seen or endured. George admits that this got him to somewhat rethink things.

The Trial itself is the trial of the century, but ultimately Polanski is given the maximum sentence. In later years people who defended Polanski will apologize, admitting that what they did was stupid and unethical.

I'd really like to see a major post on the Polanski trial; I kinda imagine it being a MAJOR watershed moment for feminism.

Basically Polanski tries to plead out for lesser crimes; however, Samantha Geimer goes public about what happened. Marilyn Monroe however isn't having any of it and writes in defense of the victim; other feminists also come forwards to describe how they encounter that kind of predation on a daily basis. Shirley Temple talks about her own experiences publicly. This causes even otherwise conservative people to go "okay, maybe there really is something too this."

It could be mentioned that George Lucas and his wife had a discussion; George was surprised to hear that Marcia believed that Polanski was guilty, and she mentions some of the things she's seen or endured. George admits that this got him to somewhat rethink things.

The Trial itself is the trial of the century, but ultimately Polanski is given the maximum sentence. In later years people who defended Polanski will apologize, admitting that what they did was stupid and unethical.
That sounds like a great idea.

LordYam

Banned
I think Shirley talking about the sexual harassment she endured would be a game changer; she's well liked among conservatives and a lot of people have fond memories of her as a child star. Knowing she endured that bullshit would anger people, and since the conservatives like her they'll probably be more willing to hear HER out.

I'm reminded of a wrongful conviction case; Joe D'Ambrosio was convicted largely on the word of Stoney Lewis. Thing is...the victim was supposed to testify against Stoney in a rape case and the prosecutor buried it. When this was uncovered they not only raised that issue on appeal they tracked down the rape victim and got him to testify about how Lewis raped him. While most of D'Ambrosio's claims were rejected, the prosecutor concealing that the victim was supposed to testify the star witness for a brutal sexual assault WAS upheld and ultimately secured a new trial (D'Ambrosio was ultimately exonerated). I honestly think that the victim's testimony was one of the things that moved the Judge in this case.

Could also lead to an early Metoo movement not just in Hollywood but other industries too

I think Shirley talking about the sexual harassment she endured would be a game changer; she's well liked among conservatives and a lot of people have fond memories of her as a child star. Knowing she endured that bullshit would anger people, and since the conservatives like her they'll probably be more willing to hear HER out.

I'm reminded of a wrongful conviction case; Joe D'Ambrosio was convicted largely on the word of Stoney Lewis. Thing is...the victim was supposed to testify against Stoney in a rape case and the prosecutor buried it. When this was uncovered they not only raised that issue on appeal they tracked down the rape victim and got him to testify about how Lewis raped him. While most of D'Ambrosio's claims were rejected, the prosecutor concealing that the victim was supposed to testify the star witness for a brutal sexual assault WAS upheld and ultimately secured a new trial (D'Ambrosio was ultimately exonerated). I honestly think that the victim's testimony was one of the things that moved the Judge in this case.

Could also lead to an early Metoo movement not just in Hollywood but other industries too
An earlier #MeToo movement sounds like exactly the sort of hopeful, better alternative that I want this timeline to represent. :) I agree that if this movement can attract women from both sides of the political spectrum to open up and share stories about their experiences, then this could indeed be a landmark moment for feminism in general, and awareness of sexual abuse and harassment in particular. In a similar, intersectional vein, I am also interested in writing a major post about the experience of African-American culture and history ITTL.

It's great to finally have you back! I'm very glad Mo Udall is taking America in a greener, less car dependent direction. Not only in weakening the oil companies, but also in pursuing nuclear power. Hopefully, the switch from uranium to thorium reactors can be made down the line (seriously, thorium reactors are better in almost every way, especially in terms of safety.) More walkable cities also give Americans more chances to exercise, and that could affect a potential obesity epidemic.

Even though I haven't read or watched any Stephen King stuff, I'm still interested in what you might do with his works in this timeline. You do a great job at piquing the interests of me (and likely others) even when it's something I don't usually care for! Hoping we might get to see a tech update come 1981 or '82 once video games start taking off and the PC hits the market...
That said lots of new Nuclear plants providing jobs where traditional industry has died off? Anybody getting Springfield vibes?
Haha, yeah, my mind went straight to that too! Though the Springfield in The Simpsons is seemingly based on the one in Oregon since Matt Groening grew up in that state. Speaking of Matt, does he still start his comic Life in Hell in 1978? Apparently it was based on his experiences now living in LA after moving there a year prior.
An earlier #MeToo movement sounds like exactly the sort of hopeful, better alternative that I want this timeline to represent. :) I agree that if this movement can attract women from both sides of the political spectrum to open up and share stories about their experiences, then this could indeed be a landmark moment for feminism in general, and awareness of sexual abuse and harassment in particular. In a similar, intersectional vein, I am also interested in writing a major post about the experience of African-American culture and history ITTL.
Oh hey, didn't realize you posted while I was typing this up! I second the notion of an update focused on African-American culture ITTL down the line.

I'd be all for an update about African-American culture, and an earlier form of the Me Too movement, if you can use those ideas. Once you reach the 80's, will be curious how your version of that decade will effect the show Stranger Things, if some form of Netflix exists in your world's 2010's, given that that show is set in the 80's.

I'd be all for an update about African-American culture, and an earlier form of the Me Too movement, if you can use those ideas. Once you reach the 80's, will be curious how your version of that decade will effect the show Stranger Things, if some form of Netflix exists in your world's 2010's, given that that show is set in the 80's.
Definitely an interesting question! :) Trust me when I say that TTL's 80s will be similar in some ways to our own and very, very different in others!
Also, Winona Ryder is my favorite actress (and more than a bit of a celebrity crush...), so definitely expect updates on her career as it begins. :D

Is this going to be a part of the chapter? If so, I second it as well genius! African-Americans also deserve their respect, recognition, and impact in the history of the United States. All of their blood, sweat, and tears have finally paid off ITTL, and you made a lot of impact on it genius!

I’d like to know how are things progressing in countries like South Vietnam as we enter the 1980s. Will for example Saigon become a rival to Tokyo and go through a similar economic boom like Japan did in OTL? What is happening in Latin America while the Udall presidency chugs along?