沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

so I assume that Chinese invasion of Afghanistan is next
And somehow this TL would be the second (edit: Oops, the other poster has not created the thread update, just an announcement for an update on April 10th) won't be the only currently active TL where Lien Chan reputation is definitely dragged through the mud due to circumstances related to internal affairs in the mid 2000s (both currently set within the same period (like a year or two TL wise)

P/s: Yeah, I didn't know there is actually an ex-council member from HK posting in this website...which shows what an absolute newbie I still am...

Last edited:
so I assume that Chinese invasion of Afghanistan is next
Yes
Hmm, you said something divides the US and China, so I'm assuming we're not going to be supporting them in whatever retaliation they take because we're not the ones kicked into patriotic madness ITTL?
Correct
And somehow this TL would be the second (edit: Oops, the other poster has not created the thread update, just an announcement for an update on April 10th) won't be the only currently active TL where Lien Chan reputation is definitely dragged through the mud due to circumstances related to internal affairs in the mid 2000s (both currently set within the same period (like a year or two TL wise)

P/s: Yeah, I didn't know there is actually an ex-council member from HK posting in this website...which shows what an absolute newbie I still am...
I also didn't know, because in 2013 my interest in East Asia was mostly limited to Genghis Khan.

In this TL, will there be a rise of anti-China sentiment in the 2010s and 2020s, once China has become a serious threat to Western dominance? I could see China gaining a upper-hand in the space sector, when the US fell back in space due to bureacracy and the decline of spending in space.
There will be something that divides China and the US in the 2000s. It won't completely ruin Sino-American relations but it will cause a rift.
Will there be talk of a Second Cold War between the US and China ITTL or not really?
Looks like in all Sino-centric timelines, there's always a Sino-American split that's going to happen. Whether ROC, PRC, or some other regime.

But everyone is mostly interested with a Sino-American split. I've read timelines where the ROC wins the Civil War in the mainland but would eventually be hostile towards the United States.
Well China would want to assert herself and the US would want to maintain its position and check Chinese power. Also if they grow more nationalistic then US particpation in the century of humilation would be a sore spot combined with the whole protecting Japanese war criminals thing as well.

There will be something that divides China and the US in the 2000s. It won't completely ruin Sino-American relations but it will cause a rift.
I fear some ultranationalistic American will try to slander China at any way, in the 2010s-2020s. Once China is about to overtake America as the world's economic powerhouse. Someone in America will try to spew some bs to their fellow Americans that China is a threat in social media. I fear that some members in the Republican Party might adopt this sentence.

The statement that China is a threat, could easily pave it's way to White Supremacists, Far-Right and Neo-Nazi groups in America. Then spread it in social media, I hope America will not have its relations deteriorate due to this.

I fear some ultranationalistic American will try to slander China at any way, in the 2010s-2020s. Once China is about to overtake America as the world's economic powerhouse. Someone in America will try to spew some bs to their fellow Americans that China is a threat in social media. I fear that some members in the Republican Party might adopt this sentence.

The statement that China is a threat, could easily pave it's way to White Supremacists, Far-Right and Neo-Nazi groups in America. Then spread it in social media, I hope America will not have its relations deteriorate due to this.
I mean, we're assuming that's gonna happen in the first place...

It's going to happen just look at PRC China and the reaction (I want to clarify clearly that I'm not defending the PRC and the atrocities the nation committed in any way) and in many ways the PRC would be less of a threat than the ROC of TTL. Although the one interesting thing in TTL is if such backlash develops and see more racism and bigotry Chinese-Americans, likely those fairly well off and educated, have an escape hatch in moving to China and contributing their skills there. China being a democracy means that it won't be completely cut off from western powers sympathy who if America does foolish things might not join in.

Quite frankly ROC democratic China has infinitely more soft power than the PRC does and that will help it keep allies. Without Taiwan there’s also no possible justification for war either so all the US can do is bitch.

Frankly I’m unsure if they even would bitch because without human rights abuses and a softer claim pushing by China, the US elites will just shut up and make money in China.

Quite frankly ROC democratic China has infinitely more soft power than the PRC does and that will help it keep allies. Without Taiwan there’s also no possible justification for war either so all the US can do is bitch.

Frankly I’m unsure if they even would bitch because without human rights abuses and a softer claim pushing by China, the US elites will just shut up and make money in China.
Maybe but as mentioned the thucydides trap is a thing and there still remains enough bigotry present that it could rear its ugly head at being overtaken by a non-white nation.

Maybe but as mentioned the thucydides trap is a thing and there still remains enough bigotry present that it could rear its ugly head at being overtaken by a non-white nation.
Maybe but given how ITTL we had a literally Communist regime in place committing countless atrocities and human rights abuses that still had apologists in the US financial elites until last year to this year's meltdown of China's economy and crackdown on foreign businesses, I really wonder.

Apologies if I've strayed too close to IRL politics.

Maybe but given how ITTL we had a literally Communist regime in place committing countless atrocities and human rights abuses that still had apologists in the US financial elites until last year to this year's meltdown of China's economy and crackdown on foreign businesses, I really wonder.

Apologies if I've strayed too close to IRL politics.
I acknowledge your point, but I think the tension would remain and given that due to the Covid thing there has been a ugly flare up in bigotry even though it's the 2020s, it will remain a sad fact that the same thing could happen in TTL.

I acknowledge your point, but I think the tension would remain and given that due to the Covid thing there has been a ugly flare up in bigotry even though it's the 2020s, it will remain a sad fact that the same thing could happen in TTL.
The US government and even populace may cool to China but without a Taiwan issue or any human rights abuses or business crackdowns etc, the business elites will maintain a powerful China lobby that prevents any hostile actions.

The US government and even populace may cool to China but without a Taiwan issue or any human rights abuses or business crackdowns etc, the business elites will maintain a powerful China lobby that prevents any hostile actions.
True but still if enough people are convinced it's in the national security of the US to be hostile no amount of lobbying will prevent that.

True but still if enough people are convinced it's in the national security of the US to be hostile no amount of lobbying will prevent that.
Maybe but I doubt they'll be permanently hostile or that war is possible. The US simply stands to gain too much money in China, same reason Britain did not fight the US surpassing them economically.

Maybe but I doubt they'll be permanently hostile or that war is possible. The US simply stands to gain too much money in China, same reason Britain did not fight the US surpassing them economically.
I think some kind of Sinophobia starting in the 2000s is likely, but it’s probably much more alike the Japanophobia of the late 1980s/early 1990s OTL