Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VII (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

I
Why Don't You Have a Seat...in the Senate?
View attachment 898679

Chris Hansen was the host of the wildly popular To Catch a Predator segment of Dateline on NBC. The show featured Chris and the online watchdog group Perverted Justice, luring in adults attempting to solicit inappropriate relationships with minors. Hansen's interviews with the predators on the show would show not only his dedication to justice, but also his intelligence and quick wit as well.

In 2006, Hansen would, to the surprise of nearly everyone, step down from his role as host of TCaP, announcing his intentions to run for a Senate seat in his home state of Michigan.

On the campaign trail, he ran on the platform most everybody expected him to; that being his credentials as a bulwark against online child predation, which was quite obviously agreeable to almost all voters regardless of party affiliation. Outside of this, he made no overt overtures to the right or the left, though indicated his disapproval of the handling of the War on Terror, which went over well with Michigan voters.

When push came to shove, Hansen ended his campaign with an impressive majority of votes, mostly chalked up by observers to his sheer name recognition. His victory made him one of the few independents in the Senate, and reporting speculated whether this indicated a growing trend, considering Joe Lieberman's successful third party run, and Bernie Sanders's independent victory the same year.
I had no idea Chris Hansen was a fellow Michigander

Truman 52.png

If Truman and Barkley won in 1952, who ran against them? I'm pretty sure that Eisenhower would have defeated them by a wide margin.
The scenario I have in mind is basically that basically the Eisenhower campaign goes pretty similarly to OTL right up to the Checkers speech - in its immediate aftermath it took a few minutes for people to realize how resoundingly successful it was, and Eisenhower vacillated on the matter even after it was blatantly obvious Nixon could stay on the ticket. Supposedly, according to Wikipedia (so grain of salt right there), this vacillation pissed off Nixon, who, in a state of anger, dictated a letter resigning his position on the ticket to his secretary and ordered it sent to Ike. An aide of his ripped it up and by the time Eisenhower asked Nixon to stay on the ticket, the anger had passed and so Dick chose to stay on the ticket. Here, the letter is not stopped and Nixon resigns the ticket despite the wild success of the Checkers speech; combined with Nixon deliberately releasing a curated revelation of the series of events that led to his leaving the ticket (which, again per Wikipedia, Nixon planned as a contingency in case he was booted off the ticket) that makes Eisenhower look really bad and reinforces a lot of Eisenhower's perceived issues (such as indecisiveness), as well as specifically making William Knowland (who replaces him on the ticket) look like an opportunistic ass, the massive hole this tears in the Republican coalition (since Nixon very deliberately writes it in a way makes the Taft conservatives be furious at Ike), a lot of uncomfortable questions about Knowland, plus the fact that Truman was a fiery campaigner in contrast to the very wooden Stevenson, allows Truman to just barely pull ahead of Ike and win.

Of course, it may be simpler to just have the GOP nominate some other candidate, but opening up a gaping hole in the Republican coalition is much more interesting, I think. And in any case, given how unpopular Truman was at that point, you really need to the GOP to drop the ball regardless of who they nominate. (Although being a scenario where Truman is renominated, this may be a lesser point because for Truman to be renominated you'd really need to figure out how to keep Kefauver from not just winning, but from even coming close to winning in New Hampshire. Which, to be clear, I haven't).

Last edited:
Houston-Everett 1860

View attachment 898596

Apparently, Texas Governor Sam Houston came in second place on the Constitutional Union presidential ballot during the 1860 US presidential election. This infobox is basically a what if of Sam Houston getting the Constitutional Union Party nomination instead of John Bell. I wonder how this ticket would have done compared to the OTL John Bell-Edward Everett ticket.
Here's my best guess:
AehZPlF.png

I'm going to say that the best Houston would do would be to flip the closest states that the Constitutional Union Party almost one. Otherwise, I think OTL would occur afterwards. Maybe Houston would gain more in Texas, but I think that even with Houston being a hero of Texas, it wouldn't really improve the Constitutional Union's chances in Texas any. I only changed the closest states of Missouri, North Carolina, and Maryland.

Kelaism is an ethnoreligion that emerged from the Judiastic Christian movement centered in Jerusalem and championed by Peter and James the Just, and railed against by the Letters of Paul. Forced East by the Roman-Jewish Wars and the Orthodoxy of later Christian Rome, Kelaism emerged as its own distinctive religion, tied to its core of believers. Kelaism forcefully rejected the Rabbinic Movement, while interactions with the Church of the East also led to an aversion for mainstream Christianity, Kelaist thought firmly rejects the Trinity. Kelaism uses a modified version of the Old Testament, and still considers itself bound by most of the law therein. However millennia of divergence means little is shared with Jewish law as of modern day. The Gospels of the Hebrews is centered around the book of the same name with additional letters, mainly attributed to James. The Book of Trials is a series of tales and decisions compiled over the centuries by Kelaists.

Certain sacred ceremonies and sacrifices are maintained in Hebrew, but after the Muslim Conquests, Arabic became the prominent language used by members of “The Way,” as they call themselves. They were considered People of the Book (indeed “Kela” supposedly comes from the Arabic word for “both,” a reference to their alleged response to being asked if they followed the New or Old Testament) and generally tolerated, although less so as time went on. Even the old Greek Title, Desposnyi, has come to be replaced by Alakh, a corruption of the Arabic turn of phrase for Nephew. The Alakh of the Kelaists is said to be a direct male line descendent of James the Just, and so in some way a nephew to Jesus. The Alakh is responsible for the upkeep of the Book of Trials, and certain key ceremonies claimed to be descended from the time of James and the Temple. Since the mid-20th century, the Kelaists have been gradually forced out of their now traditional homes in Mesopotamia and into a wider diaspora. They have consistently refused relations with “Jews for Jesus” and “Messianic Jews” and other novel Christian ideas. Instead they maintain a distinct character within their small communities.

IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg

In this timeline, the Soviets are unable to obtain enough information about the Concorde program in time to be able to take the title of first passenger SST to fly. Having been beaten, the Soviets would put their SST plans on standby before eventually cancelling the program, largely diverting resources from the program to the new Il-86 program. The Il-86 program was started in 1969 when it was commissioned for the Ilyushin design bureau to build. Instead of lingering in pre-development for some years, it hit the ground running and relatively soon thereafter, round-the-clock work began. The allocation of most of the SST resources to the Il-86 program was due to program manager who was forceful enough to convince the authorities to do so.
From the get-go, engineers realized that to make this plane, it needed technology that the Soviets didn't have. As such, Ilyushin would in turn, de facto commission the creation of the necessary parts from other engineers in the USSR. In particular, the development of the USSR's first high bypass turbofan engine, at the request of Ilyushin, was to occur in parallel to the Il-86 development. Soloviev was given the task of doing that.

In 1974, the first Il-86 took flight. The plane met its design criteria. It was designed to be a long ranged plane, with about 10,050km; a slight improvement on the Il-62. This was enabled by the new Soloviev D-8F6 engine which met the required fuel burn, power output and noise levels. Despite quite a few issues, elsewhere, the Ilyushin took it and ran with it to avoid a delay. After some further tests, the final product was ready. The engineers were also at work simultaneously creating a variant of the plane, the Il-86B, a model with less fuel tanks to make it into a medium range model. Both the original(Il-86A) and the variant models were made available for delivery on the same day. On February 7, 1976, Aeroflot inaugurated the first commercial Il-86 flight on a route from Moscow to Vladivostok.

The immediate years afterwards, the Il-86B did better, since Aeroflot as the main customer, wanted to alleviate the more heavily trafficked shorter routes and exit controls limited the number of long routes where the Il-86 was definitely needed. In addition, many communist airlines still operated relatively new Il-62's. But the exit controls couldn't restrain passenger numbers and the Il-62s started to age. The type which had seen slightly subpar sales started to really take off in the mid-80s. Even the Chinese would place a massive order for some Il-86s. 1988 represented the height of Il-86 sales and usage. It had become the workhorse of the communist world's long range fleet.
Then 1989 happened.
As the communist world disintegrated, it no longer had to use Soviet planes. The Il-86 by then was outdated. But many of them still had practically brand new Il-86s. As such, the Il-86 continued on, in usage, but its end was near. In 1994, its production was discontinued after 2 decades after it started with 312 planes built.
1712271735684.png

Last edited:
Here's my best guess:
AehZPlF.png

I'm going to say that the best Houston would do would be to flip the closest states that the Constitutional Union Party almost one. Otherwise, I think OTL would occur afterwards. Maybe Houston would gain more in Texas, but I think that even with Houston being a hero of Texas, it wouldn't really improve the Constitutional Union's chances in Texas any. I only changed the closest states of Missouri, North Carolina, and Maryland.
Wiping out the Northern Democrats in the electoral college completely might have consequences.

Wiping out the Northern Democrats in the electoral college completely might have consequences.
I mean, this is still pretty close to OTL. The only states I flipped or even really changed the votes for were Missouri (Douglas win in OTL), North Carolina, and Maryland (Breckenridge wins). The civil war breaks out not long after the election. The only real difference is maybe the Democrats just completely dissolve during or after the civil war. I don't think the butterflies would really affect much of anything other than historical footnote. Plus, the Northern Democrats are still the more popular group. Like, Jersey is still a close state ITTL, Douglas is still getting second place on a state level.

Though, I am always curious to see what other people think. How do you think TTL would diverge compared to the OTL as a result of this election going this way?

I mean, this is still pretty close to OTL. The only states I flipped or even really changed the votes for were Missouri (Douglas win in OTL), North Carolina, and Maryland (Breckenridge wins). The civil war breaks out not long after the election. The only real difference is maybe the Democrats just completely dissolve during or after the civil war. I don't think the butterflies would really affect much of anything other than historical footnote. Plus, the Northern Democrats are still the more popular group. Like, Jersey is still a close state ITTL, Douglas is still getting second place on a state level.

Though, I am always curious to see what other people think. How do you think TTL would diverge compared to the OTL as a result of this election going this way?
Well, it would be interesting to see this develop in the direction of a postwar Republican/Constitutional Union duopoly with the latter propped up by the OTL Anti-Grant Liberal Republicans in the 1870's. That will change at minimum candidates, conventions, and nominations, but might sink the "Lost Cause" earlier if both postwar parties were ostensibly Unionist and one was content to not interfere in 'state institutions' thereby replacing the "party of secession" in the former confederacy. In the near term though, it might actually help Reconstruction and postwar Republican governments in the South with a divided opposition in the first decade or two after the war. This in turn might impact civil rights for Freedmen after the war.

Well, it would be interesting to see this develop in the direction of a postwar Republican/Constitutional Union duopoly with the latter propped up by the OTL Anti-Grant Liberal Republicans in the 1870's. That will change at minimum candidates, conventions, and nominations, but might sink the "Lost Cause" earlier if both postwar parties were ostensibly Unionist and one was content to not interfere in 'state institutions' thereby replacing the "party of secession" in the former confederacy. In the near term though, it might actually help Reconstruction and postwar Republican governments in the South with a divided opposition in the first decade or two after the war. This in turn might impact civil rights for Freedmen after the war.
I think this could work! You would need to significantly weaken the Democratic Party as a whole for it though. I think you would need the Democratic Party to lose much worse in the 1864 election (probably losing New Jersey and Delaware to Lincoln.)

The POD might need to be further back, keeping the Constitutional Union party alive past 1861 and working on the local level to displace Democrats in office. Supporting Lincoln in 1864 to better than OTL results.

If Lincoln still takes Johnson as his Vice President in 1864. After Lincoln's assassination, Johnson would still become president, but you could have him be fully impeached during his term. This would then leave President Pro-Tempore of the Senate Benjamin Wade as president. Wade was a Radical Republican so it could be possible for him to drastically change the course of reconstruction. For the 1868 election, you would have two different ways to you take it. Wade could decide not to run and Grant wins the Nomination as per OTL or...

We Want Wade!
President Benjamin Wade wins the nomination for the Republican Party in the election in 1868. The best course of action for the party would be to have the popular war hero General Ulysses S. Grant as their Vice Presidential nominee. This is where the Constitutional Union Party could come into the picture. Essentially becoming the Liberal Republican Party 4 years earlier. You could have them call for the maintaining of Johnson's Reconstruction policy instead of ending it. Then the Democratic Party would maintain the Bourbon/Copperhead platform similar to OTL, weakening their own position nationally.

8ms5XSa.png

Wade would probably continue more radicial reconstruction policies. This entire thing is a little bit slapdash putting together, but I read that Wade was pro-labor union somewhere so we'll say that he pushes for policies relating to that too. Wade dies in 1878 in OTL, but the stress of the Presidency could cause him to either die, resign, or just not run for another term. This leaves the way open for...

General Grant the Great!
General Grant wins the nomination for the Republican Party in the election of 1872. Grant is still pretty well liked and is a war hero still. Easily gets the nom. The Constitutional Union Party would need to nominate literally anyone by Greeley. I also think that by this point, the Constitutional Union Party would just rename itself the Constitutionalist Party. Due to a different Reconstruction, the results in Arkansas are not disputed. Louisiana still is though.
qt8TgAe.png

(The numbers here are probably off, but it is late and I don't feel like checking numbers.)

Grant would become president right before the Panic of 1873. With money on the brain and how to back it, I would make the argument that each of the Big Three Parties in this system would attach itself to a different ideology.

Republican Party
The Republican Party would back a Gold Standard as per OTL. Still running the old political machines with elements of the spoils system firmly in place. This is the political party of Lincoln, of Wade, of Grant. The progressive streak of Reconstruction (which probably wouldn't end until the late 1890s) would cause the Republican Party of take on issues like labor relations, woman's sufferage, and big business. This will become the party of men like Taft, like Borah, like Hiram Johnson.

Constitutionalist Party
The Constitutionalist Party would back Gold, but would start to grow to support bimetallism near the end of the 1890s. This would be entirely in the Western States like Nevada and California. This was not their only ideological change. The Constitutionalist Party was the opposition party and had always been that. They became the party of Big Business. Taking bribes from billionaires and millionaire regularly. While they did push for a slightly more democratic system in government, their morals could be bought and sold to the highest bidder.

Democratic Party
The Democratic Party would decide to rebrand and renew itself. It could no longer bank on the support of the south so had to find new avenues. This came in 1876 when the Democratic Party would absorb the nascent Greenback Party alongside the growing Free Silver Movement. It would also remain conservative in its values, even getting itself involved in the fundamentalist–modernist controversy. They would become the party of the Farmers, the Miner, and the Mine Owner. Support is almost entirely in the South and the Midwest.

Sorry if things are in a bit of a jumble. I am up much later than I normally am and might have left some typos or broken sentences. I'm also significantly less sure on anything past 1872.

How do you calculate the area for something like this?
You can use a variety of methods, from reprojecting the shape in QGIS, approximating it with smaller existing units like counties, or drawing the shape of the state with the measuring tool in Google Maps, which will yield an area measure when the shape is almost closed.