Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

Spaceballs exists largely as like OTL (since Star Wars came out), so Colonel Sandurz still exists. Unlike OTL, it has two sequels which are criticized for not having the same spirit as the original.
My main reason for questioning whether that joke would still be made is largely due to unintended implications. In OTL, Colonel Sanders is largely just a fast food mascot (as well is having been dead for 7 years by that point), whereas ITTL, he's a beloved public figure and former President. I might be overthinking it, but with that in mind, I do question whether studio executives would be okay with the movie having a character who is named after the Colonel, and aligned with the space fascists (or rather the parodies of the space fascists).

Last edited:
Find main reason for questioning whether that joke would still be made is largely due to unintended implications. In OTL, Colonel Sanders is largely just a fast food mascot (as well is having been dead for 7 years by that point), whereas ITTL, he's a beloved public figure and former President. I might be overthinking it, but with that in mind, I do question whether studio executives would be okay with the movie having a character who is named after the Colonel, and aligned with the space fascists (or rather the parodies of the space fascists).
Perhaps Mel Brooks wanted a Colonel Sandurz character, but the studio executives said absolutely not so they named him after Ronald McDonald instead.

Hey @gap80, I love this timeline and will definitely read it again and again (I’m currently on either my 5th or 6th read-through - I’ve lost track). That being said, I have noticed a minor inconsistency - it shows the first KFC in the Netherlands as having opened in both 1961 and 1972. Would you mind clearing up that matter in some way? Thanks.

By the way, @gap80 what are the fates of the
five fatalities on the Titan submersible in the KFP universe? I would probably say the 19 year old doesn’t exist and the other four have different lives, but you might surprise me.
I'm not sure, tbh.

@gap80 I apologise if this has already been answered before, and if this isn’t even a question I need to ask, but I presume that Colonel Sanders doesn’t denounce KFC later on in his life?

From Wikipedia: “In his later years, he became highly critical of the food served by KFC restaurants, as he believed they had cut costs and allowed quality to deteriorate.”
He does not.

Created some fanon about Anders Breivik. Curious about your thoughts, @gap80

TREATY ON GIBRALTAR SOVEREIGNITY SIGNED

Today, the Lennon ministry and the Kingdom of Spain signed a landmark treaty resolving the territorial status of Gibraltar. The treaty’s terms include dual citizenship for British citizens born in Gibraltar, small territorial concessions in favor of Spain, open borders and freedom of movement between Gibraltar and Spain, and twice per decade referendums on Gibraltar’s status overseen by election observers from both the UK and Spanish governments. In return, both sides would normalize relations and renounce any territorial claims over Gibraltar. The treaty, brokered by Norwegian diplomat Anders Behring Breivik [1], serves as a product of détente between the governments of the UK and Spain, and as an example of growing Norwegian diplomatic prowess. The treaty has been sharply denounced by Conservative MPs as a timid capitulation towards Spanish interests, whereas the general public appears to be more approving of its nature.

BBC News Segment, January 16, 2001

[1] Anders Behring Breivik is born like OTL. However, unlike OTL, Her Majesty’s Court places him in the custody of his father after the divorce of their parents, as her mother is deemed unfit to raise the child. Thus, instead of being an infamous mass-murdering white supremacist, he follows in his father’s footsteps and becomes a long-time ambassador of Norway to the UK.
Fair points, more on the fanon:

During the negotiations for the Treaty of Oslo, which normalized relations between Spain and the United Kingdom, the Spanish delegation asserted without evidence that the people of Gibraltar overwhelmingly wanted to rejoin their so-called brethren in Spain. That is why they insisted on having referendums supervised by election observers sent from the Spanish government. Out of a desire to make historical amends, the Lennon government largely agreed to the terms of the Spaniards, pushing against public backlash in the process.

The first referendum held in 2006. While 95 percent of the populace voted against unification with Spain, the low voter turnout of just 26 percent and unfounded allegations of voter fraud made the Spanish delegation demand a second referendum be held as soon as possible. Not wanting to risk compromising the status of their vacation homes in Córdoba, the Heseltine government agreed to hold a second referendum on Gibraltan sovereignty. This time around, a 2008 referendum saw 86 percent of the populace voted in favor of annexation with the UK with a turnout of 52 percent, with the increase in turnout due to angry voters wanting the Spanish government to stop complaining about the status of Gibraltar. The Spanish delegation was still unsatisfied, arguing that voter intimidation from pro-union activists caused the increase in turnout.

When UN election observers failed to substantiate Spanish allegations, the right-wing Acebes government threatened to renege the Treaty of Oslo entirely. However, this saber-rattling with the United Kingdom caused considerable controversy at home, as the PP's coalition partners threatened to withdraw from the government if PM Acebes continued compromising UK-Spanish relations any further. Facing the threat of a fallen government, Prime Minister Acebes relented, announcing that the Spanish government would no longer object to the results of the referendum. A second treaty signed with the UK under the Blanco government announced that Spain would drop any objections towards British control over Gibraltar, and relations between the two countries has only grown warmer since. While Spanish and British nationalists continue to complain about the status of Gibraltar online, the majority of the public in both countries sees the status of Gibraltar as a dead issue not worthy of risking economic and political ties over.

- Excerpt from "History of Gibraltar", uploaded to ourvids.co.can on August 18, 2012 (The video's comments section was locked soon after being uploaded due to fighting between Spanish and British nationalists)
Fun worldbuilding! Thanks for the contribution - consider it canon!

He doesn't.

Also, I'm thinking Eric Bauza could create a cartoon ITTL, since IOTL he was an animator before moving to voice acting. His studio could be called "Bauzilla Productions".
Sure! Unless it contradicts something in the TL that I've overlooked, consider it canon!

Perhaps Mel Brooks wanted a Colonel Sandurz character, but the studio executives said absolutely not so they named him after Ronald McDonald instead.
Sure! Clowns...in...Space! (maybe a at some point, Lieutenant Ronald McDonald remarks he'd be a better leader than President Screw and Dark Helmet scoff, "you'll never be a President, you'll never even be a Colonel!" or something like that)

Hey @gap80, I love this timeline and will definitely read it again and again (I’m currently on either my 5th or 6th read-through - I’ve lost track). That being said, I have noticed a minor inconsistency - it shows the first KFC in the Netherlands as having opened in both 1961 and 1972. Would you mind clearing up that matter in some way? Thanks.
Thank you for pointing out that continuity error. Good eye! I changed the 1972 headline from "The Netherlands" to "Belgium."

Last edited:
CALIFORNIA STATE SUPREME COURT OK’S SAME-SEX MARRIAGE IN SAN FRANCISCO

…The state’s Supreme Court ruled 5-to-2 that the City and County of San Francisco did not exceed its authority in issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. “You can thank Governors Brown, Kennedy, Christopher and the late Governor Burton for their appointees ruling to uphold equality,” says San Francisco Board of Education member Tom Ammiano. Indeed, liberal Democrats have won every state gubernatorial election since Burton won in 1978, and that has lead to all but two state supreme court judges hailing from the political left... According to former US Attorney General J’Ada Finch-Sheen, opponents of Mayor Agnos’ “radical shift in public policy” will likely take their case to the Supreme Court. “They will want to make their voices heard on a less biased playing field,” Finch-Sheen suggested in a T.O.N. interview earlier today…

– The Spokesman-Review, Washington state newspaper, 10/21/1993

“A MAJOR VICTORY FOR BLUTAGS!” Massachusetts Becomes The First U.S. State to Grant Same-Sex Marriages

TT0Dslb.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/TT0Dslb ]
Above: a variation of the “blu rainbow” flag representing the BLUTAG community; lavender and lavender-and-blue variations are also common

[snip] …Meanwhile, another victory for the BLUTAG community occurred in Washington, D.C., where the Supreme Court has declined to hear a city-level marriage license case concerning San Francisco’s marriage licenses. This means that the definition of marriage will stay at the state level unless the judges change their minds and agree to hear the case, or a similar case, and rule on it…

The New York Times, 3/14/1995

CANADA LEGALIZES BLUTAG MARRIAGE!

…first legalized in Ontario in 1995 following a provincial court of appeal ruling, same-sex marriage was subsequently recognized in several additional provinces in 1996 and 1997. Prime Minister Margaret Mitchell approved of the enactment of “The Civil Marriage Act” in January, and it received “royal assent” from Queen Elizabeth soon after…

The Boston Globe, 5/19/1998

PARLIAMENT SET TO LEGALIZE BLUTAG MARRIAGE!

London, ENGLAND – More than two years after a formal consultation was launched to determine how to best introduce civil marriage for British BLUTAGs into the United Kingdom, parliament’s Marriage Couple’s Act was been granted royal assent – a major stepping stone that will ease the passing of this landmark piece of legislation. In effect repealing the Matrimonial Causes Act passed under PM Powell in 1972, and reversing the Civil Partnership Act and Gender Recognition Acts passed under PM Goodlad in 1989 and 1991, respectively, the Marriage Couple’s Act may very well lead to same-sex marriage being legal in the UK in the very near future. The bill was introduced by Conservative MP Matthew Parris and was sponsored by members of the Labour, LD, and Intrepid Progressive parties. Citing “no credible reason, morally, ethically, mathematically, religiously or logically, to oppose this bill,” PM Lennon approved the draft penned by the House of Commons in January. “Letting people who love one another marry will strengthen, not weaken, the institution of marriage.” The bill also includes wording that is meant to ensure that religious organizations will not be forced to conduct same-sex marriages – wording which may have been a contributing factor in the crown assenting to its passing. “This is a legal matter before it is a faith matter,” explains MP Gordon Marsden (Labour)…

The Guardian, UK newspaper, 15/2/2000

WASHINGTON STATE PASSES SAME-SEX MARRIAGE!

The Los Angeles Times, 3/10/2000

SPAIN GRANTS SAME-SEX MARRIAGE TO CITIZENS!

…the nation becomes the eleventh country in Europe to legalize same-sex marriage...

The Boston Globe, 8/24/2002

On September 15, the Supreme Court made its landmark “Brill v. Cohen” decision. Associated Justices Schroeder, Lord, Nealon, Bacon, and Sandel, and Chief Justice Page in positioning themselves on the one side; Associate Justices Sneed, Garza, and Thompson found themselves on the other side.

Thus, the Supreme Court ruled 6-to-3 that the fundamental right to marry is guaranteed to same-sex couples by both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the US Constitution, which was adopted all the way back in 1868. The ruling thus required all 50 US states and the federal district of Washington, DC, plus all US territories, commonwealths and other “Insular Areas,” to recognize and allow the performance of same-sex marriages and issue marriage licenses, certificates, and/or other required documentation, on the same terms and conditions used for opposite-sex marriages, and with the same rights and responsibilities that come with marriage.

At the time of the court decision, either same-sex marriage or “civil unions” were already legal in 26 states (starting with Massachusetts in 1995) and in Washington, D.C., with several state legislatures already in the process of legalizing it.

The Supreme Court case actually stemmed from seven lower-court cases from five states culminating in a multi-state class-action lawsuit being filed in 2001 over discrimination after two lower-courts ruled against the plaintiffs arguing for same-sex marriage legalization. One of the cases began all the way back in 1997 over a funeral director refusing to host services for a widower and his deceased husband, upon learning that “Michelle” was a French man, not a woman, despite the director having already been paid for said services. A second central case centered on Indiana’s Health Commissioner Dr. Neal L. Cohen, who had denied a marriage license to community organizers David P. Brill and Matt Foreman. Nearly a year after oral arguments and briefings were made for both sides (with Brill received legal assistance from Mark Leno, Fred Karger, and other prominent individuals), and with the Supreme Court consolidating focus on the most pressing and prominent case – the one concerning Indiana’s Health Commissioner, hence “Brill v. Cohen” – the judges’ ruling essentially reversed the Indiana circuit court ruling, on the aforementioned grounds of violating the 14th Amendment.

rCpwMda.png

Above: the Supreme Court building

– Brandon Teena’s The Rise of BLUTAG Rights: The Story of the Bi-Lesbian-Undefined-Trans-Asexual-Gay Movement, Scholastic, 2019

For example, when Australia passed the Marriage Equality Act of 2009, which legalized same-sex marriage throughout Australia, Varvaris was part of the Band of Seven, a group of MPs who protested in front of the office of then-PM Ignatieff over their opposition to his support of the Act…

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE TO BE LEGAL IN CHILE

…the National Congress’ narrow vote will make Chile the 30th nation to legalize same-sex marriage…

The Guardian, UK newspaper, 9/22/2018

What are some other countries and places that legalised Same-Sex marriage and BLUTAGO rights ITTL? IOTL The Netherlands was the first place to legalise same-sex marriage in 2000, does the nation legalise Same-Sex Marriage earlier here ITTL?

What are BLUTAGO rights like in Latin America, Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East ITTL? Are there any noticeable differences from IOTL? I presume that due to the West legalising BLUTAGO right earlier during the 1990s and 2000s there would at the very least a small trickle of more positive influences in places where human rights for non-cishet are more neutral or negative, and that would start up more conversations and activism in those countries, and with countries like Afghanistan or Iraq not being plunged into civil war and totalitarianism it would be easier for BLUTAGO people to organise and do things, unless those places are just like Iran or Saudi Arabia IOTL/ITTL.

I know, I've mentioned the BBA before @gap80, but I really don't see how America could afford a more expansive welfare state, better healthcare, better infrastructure, and a Mars mission all while maintaining a balanced budget since the early 90s.

federal budget.png

Pie Chart of federal expenditures, 2015. The US spent around 3.7 trillion in federal expenditures during 2015.

Simply put, a BBA would enforce permanent austerity, in which the government would have to choose between funding healthcare and Social Security, improving infrastructure, giving subsidies to state governments, or maintaining a functional military. It can't do all of the above, which is what you need for an industrialized country like the United States. Any reduction in administrative costs for healthcare will be offset by the enormous costs of giving 300+ million Americans UHC. It simply wouldn't work.

We can see the results of permanent austerity through a balanced budget amendment in Germany, and the results include crumbling infrastructure, a gutted welfare state, a military in which for many years had only a handful of operational fighter aircraft and missed opportunities for economic growth during the days of low-interest debt during COVID.

The US would certainly be feeling the pinch from the BBA, unless the Jackson-Wellstone Administrations created sufficient workarounds that the Grammer Administration refused to close.

Last edited:
I just read through this timeline and I'll say gap80 that you made a unique, interesting timeline focusing on the Colonel as President of the United States of all people. You incorporated some what might have beens in the narrative whether its Lee Iacocca and Jesse Jackson as Presidents, Matt Groening getting to adapt Life in Hell, Seth MacFarlane doing Larry and Steve, George W. Bush as MLB Commissioner or Stephen Hillenburg becoming a fast food tycoon after serving as a fry cook. I wished you won at least a Turtledove for your efforts because the results were fascinating to watch it unfold.

Last edited:
I just read through this timeline and I'll say gap80 that you made a unique, interesting timeline focusing on the Colonel as President of the United States of all people. You incorporated some what might have beens in the narrative whether its Lee Iacocca and Jesse Jackson as Presidents, Matt Groening getting to adapt Life in Hell, Seth MacFarlane doing Larry and Steve, George W. Bush as MLB Commissioner or Stephen Hillenburg becoming a fast food tycoon after serving as a fry cook. I wished you won at least a Turtledove for your efforts because the results were fascinating to watch it unfold.
I'm going to end up wondering what got this guy banned for the rest of my life.

One thing I’ve thought about this timeline: because of the earlier end to Vietnam, the music of the late 60’s and early 70’s will look a lot different, thanks to many of the Vietnam protest songs from OTL presumably being butterflied away. As far as some bands, like CCR, go - do they even get off the ground in this timeline?