La Reina Loca: A Juana I of Castile Timeline

The Infanta Juana has all the benefits of her sister without her erratic nature. She is bound to be clever and well-educated, a capable and respectable consort to have at your side.”
Or was Portugal destined to have a mad queen?
Well, it seems like we are going there anyway.
There seems to have been at least something problematic about her mentally. She was ill treated by those she loved, but her reaction to Philip’s death and afterwards does seem to be quite out of the ordinary to me
Being married to a domestic abuser and being gaslit will do that for you.
Except well, this story is my attempt at, unfortunately, writing a mad queen after my small attempt with Infanta Isabel in An Imperial Match. The only problem is that Manuel doesn't know that Juana is a 10000000% more intense and dramatic than her older sister.
Wouldn't she be less unstable without Philip? He seemed like the main reason Juana turned out so bad. That Hapsburg marriage was a effing disaster.
Isabel was the worst between them… Juana was more manageable than her elder sister in my opinion…
Portugal still escaped a totally insane and suicidal Queen.
Poor Isabel. She always gets screwed over. And given the title of this story, we seems to get a mad queen regardless.

Poor Isabel. She always gets screwed over. And given the title of this story, we seems to get a mad queen regardless.
Well, here she will get exactly what she wanted. And I would reserve my pity for someone who deserve it, not for a person who has done exactly what she wanted (seeing Isabella living longer married to Manuel would be pretty much ASB considering her character as she was far from being dutiful and obedient). I would feel far sorry in seeing her alive, against all her efforts for dying and be reunited to her love, and unhappily married to the uncle of her beloved.

Last edited:
Juana was never mad. She was labeled such after being driven to a nerve crisis by an unsufferable husband, to the advantage of a power grabbing father and an ingrateful son.

Juana was never mad. She was labeled such after being driven to a nerve crisis by an unsufferable husband, to the advantage of a power grabbing father and an ingrateful son.
I don't think Juana was crazy. I just think that the way she acted and will act will be seen as crazy by many people. I also think that even if she was, she had a pretty good reason to.

A lot of what we see as her going crazy over Philip can also be seen as her having breakdowns over losing her children. The mental breakdown that allowed Ferdinand to imprison her in Tordesillas was because he took away little Fernando from her (When Juana and Philip arrived in Castile, one of the first things she did as queen even while her husband was alive was to bring Fernando back to her custody). In fact, Fernando was with her probably through the travels she made with Philip's corpse and he was present when she had little Catherine. When Ferdinand arrived though, he took Fernando away from her (he was around 4-5) but left Catherine, so we can see another reason why she was so attached to her youngest child.

Unpopular opinion: but I prefer Isabel Jr as queen (of Castile atleast) than Juana..... Both girls were mentally unstable to a point (both obsessed with their respective husbands) but somehow it feels that Isabel Jr would have made a better queen than Juana, cause end of the day she was trained to become queen once and was 2nd in line to the throne..... compared to Juana, Isabel was better equipped to rule and I always think that Isabel might have done a better job keeping private life away from work life..... i agree that Juana had forces (those close to her sadly) working against her but Revolt of the Comuneros say a strong point against her rule....

Unpopular opinion: but I prefer Isabel Jr as queen (of Castile atleast) than Juana..... Both girls were mentally unstable to a point (both obsessed with their respective husbands) but somehow it feels that Isabel Jr would have made a better queen than Juana, cause end of the day she was trained to become queen once and was 2nd in line to the throne..... compared to Juana, Isabel was better equipped to rule and I always think that Isabel might have done a better job keeping private life away from work life..... i agree that Juana had forces (those close to her sadly) working against her but Revolt of the Comuneros say a strong point against her rule....
The Jews of Portugal beg to disagree.

The Jews of Portugal beg to disagree.
The Portuguese jews i assume? Cause the Alhambra decree has already thrown them out of Spain. But what guarantee that future kings of Portugal aren't going to be as zealous as their Castillian grandmother? And yes from the perspective of Goan Hindus and South Indian Hindus even I would disagree.