Excellent. Yet another psychological blow to the Confederacy.
🎶 the wheels on the bus come off and off, off and off, off and off… 🎵
This functionally means that the Battle of Los Pasos in its many forms took more than a year and a half? Not doubting that, but *wow*.
And here come the Zapatistas, as another annoyance...
Correct. It’s Mexico’s line in the sand, or at least it has been. Big deal for Texas, too, now that the railheads towards Dallas, Austin and San Antonio are all in US hands…

🎶 the wheels on the bus come off and off, off and off, off and off… 🎵
I know you've mentioned it a bit in the past but the winter of 1915-16 is shaping up to be a perfect storm of suck for Dixie.

No fertilizers to grow crops, no laborers to pick the ones that do grow, and a ravaged infrastructure to try and move the crops to what's left of the cities and towns.

It could be a combo of the Turnip Winter in Germany and the mass urban starvation of Japan late in WWII.

I know you've mentioned it a bit in the past but the winter of 1915-16 is shaping up to be a perfect storm of suck for Dixie.

No fertilizers to grow crops, no laborers to pick the ones that do grow, and a ravaged infrastructure to try and move the crops to what's left of the cities and towns.

It could be a combo of the Turnip Winter in Germany and the mass urban starvation of Japan late in WWII.
Nailed it.

Not to get ahead of myself but I believe my notes contains the term “pre-industrial” for the update regarding winter of 1915-16 in Dixie

Sort of an odd question, but the Los Pasos has been a bi-national city since 1836, but will now functionally be a tri-national city, with the southeast corner of the Arizona Territory being only about twice as far from El Paso City hall as Mexico is. iOTL, that isn't used for much (other than Mount Cristo Rey). But maybe iTTL...

Sort of an odd question, but the Los Pasos has been a bi-national city since 1836, but will now functionally be a tri-national city, with the southeast corner of the Arizona Territory being only about twice as far from El Paso City hall as Mexico is. iOTL, that isn't used for much (other than Mount Cristo Rey). But maybe iTTL...
What if the Union takes West Texas?

What if the Union takes West Texas?
I'm guessing no. I believe that we've gotten signs that Texas will try to leave before the end of 1915 while the Confederacy is still going to be in until mid-1916. I think the USA won't particularly hurt a country that is headed out the door. :)

I'm guessing no. I believe that we've gotten signs that Texas will try to leave before the end of 1915 while the Confederacy is still going to be in until mid-1916. I think the USA won't particularly hurt a country that is headed out the door. :)
Surely they won't let Texas get off Scott-free?

Would make for an interesting trade corridor that could given TTL El Paso TX a very different economic profile?
Oh I'm certain they'll ask for certain business rights and guarantees but otherwise try and appear magnanimous
US forces TX to sell them X% of their oil for 25ish years? Seems like a decent way for Texas to buy their freedom.
Right. It’s also worth mentioning that in 1915ish the Texas oilfield plays were largely in the Beaumont area; the Permian hadn’t become the bonanza it would later

What are people's predictions of what date the CSA will officially surrender? Let's make a bit of a game out of it.

Pick a date and whoever is closest to the actual date without going over (like how "the Price is Right" works) wins a prize! Well, not a real prize, just bragging rights. But still!

I'll start: I was originally going to say 11/11/1916 but thought that would be a bit too on the nose. Instead, I'll say 10/16/1916 for a few reasons.

1 - That's my birthday so why not?
2 - This update mentions how Nashville was "a preview for further battles in Tennessee and Georgia over the following year and a half." Nashville ended 5/15 so 18 months means the war won't end before roughly late October/early Nov, so IMO a surrender date in August or thereabouts is out.
3 - American generalship has been quite frankly pretty poor lately. There's an update about how a Confederate general used cavalry of all things to stop an American offensive post-Nashville for example. That's a pretty damning indictment of American leadership that they lost to horses in a trench warfare setting. But, American political leadership (loathe as I am to admit it) has rounded into form while Dixie's leadership is quite bad and will only get worse. So what's the point? My point is the CSA is far more likely to fire a general for "defeatism" or "cowardice" when he "only" inflicts 2x as many casualties and withdraws to the next set of trenches. So the American generals can learn from their defeats and improve while the CSA will keep firing guys which is a recipe for disaster in the medium and long terms. Eventually the CSA will run out of good or even mediocre generals and only the bad or the craven will be around to lead Dixie's armies.
4 - The Confederate economy is probably hanging by a thread. Home front stability and cohesion are also falling apart. Once that stuff goes, it causes cascading effects. It is like a boulder rolling down a hill - it starts slowly at first then goes faster and faster. I predict that we won't really start to see the effects until summer 1916.

If you are interested, post your date and I'll keep track and when we get to Armistice Day (which I can for sure see being a holiday in the USA a al Veterans Day) we can circle back.

Last edited:
What are people's predictions of what date the CSA will officially surrender? Let's make a bit of a game out of it.

Pick a date and whoever is closest to the actual date without going over (like how "the Price is Right" works) wins a prize! Well, not a real prize, just bragging rights. But still!

I'll start: I was originally going to say 11/11/1916 but thought that would be a bit too on the nose. Instead, I'll say 10/16/1916 for a few reasons.

1 - That's my birthday so why not?
2 - This update mentions how Nashville was "a preview for further battles in Tennessee and Georgia over the following year and a half." Nashville ended 5/15 so 18 months means the war won't end before roughly late October/early Nov, so IMO a surrender date in August or thereabouts is out.
3 - American generalship has been quite frankly pretty poor lately. There's an update about how a Confederate general used cavalry of all things to stop an American offensive post-Nashville for example. That's a pretty damning indictment of American leadership that they lost to horses in a trench warfare setting. But, American political leadership (loathe as I am to admit it) has rounded into form while Dixie's leadership is quite bad and will only get worse. So what's the point? My point is the CSA is far more likely to fire a general for "defeatism" or "cowardice" when he "only" inflicts 2x as many casualties and withdraws to the next set of trenches. So the American generals can learn from their defeats and improve while the CSA will keep firing guys which is a recipe for disaster in the medium and long terms. Eventually the CSA will run out of good or even mediocre generals and only the bad or the craven will be around to lead Dixie's armies.
4 - The Confederate economy is probably hanging by a thread. Home front stability and cohesion are also falling apart. Once that stuff goes, it causes cascading effects. It is like a boulder rolling down a hill - it starts slowly at first then goes faster and faster. I predict that we won't really start to see the effects until summer 1916.

If you are interested, post your date and I'll keep track and when we get to Armistice Day (which I can for sure see being a holiday in the USA a al Veterans Day) we can circle back.
I think May 5 would be too on-the-nose given Nashville and Hilton Head (also, the timing just doesn't work) ;)

Instead, in true Turtledove fashion I'm going to say November 4 (date on which the the Civil War concludes in How Few Remain), as alternate history rhymes more than OTL.