Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Ah, it's always nice to see my home state of Virginia in one of these updates! Though I did notice a mistake with this update that I'd like to bring to your attention, Mr. President.
By 1981, much of the Old Dominion’s burgeoning growth and prosperity was centered in the northern part of the state, particularly the Hampton Roads region.
Hampton Roads is in the  southern part of the state, not the north. It's the region of the state with Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Williamsburg, and some other cities. The Northern Virginia region by DC is often called NoVa. Hampton Roads' growth is largely due to military stuff as you said - we have the largest naval base in the world with Naval Station Norfolk, after all, as well as Oceana Air Force Base and shipbuilding in both Norfolk and Newport News. Though its location on the Chesapeake Bay makes it an important port, and Virginia Beach has a growing tourism industry at this time (they've got great... well, beaches!)

Additionally, Virginia governors aren't term limited in the traditional sense. One person can be governor multiple times; however, you can't have consecutive terms as a governor.

Other than that, this was a fantastic update!

Ah, it's always nice to see my home state of Virginia in one of these updates! Though I did notice a mistake with this update that I'd like to bring to your attention, Mr. President.

Hampton Roads is in the  southern part of the state, not the north. It's the region of the state with Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Williamsburg, and some other cities. The Northern Virginia region by DC is often called NoVa. Hampton Roads' growth is largely due to military stuff as you said - we have the largest naval base in the world with Naval Station Norfolk, after all, as well as Oceana Air Force Base and shipbuilding in both Norfolk and Newport News. Though its location on the Chesapeake Bay makes it an important port, and Virginia Beach has a growing tourism industry at this time (they've got great... well, beaches!)

Additionally, Virginia governors aren't term limited in the traditional sense. One person can be governor multiple times; however, you can't have consecutive terms as a governor.

Other than that, this was a fantastic update!
Whoops. Gaffe on my part. Thank you for the correction! I will be sure to fix those mistakes.

Great chapter. I like the changes you made, New Jersey has it's first African American governor and Virginia is becoming more progressive than people originally thought. GOP is battling for it's soul, hopefully the moderate wing comes out on top. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the pop culture.
I sure hope so. Perhaps an alliance between Romney-Republican moderates, Nixonian-Rumfeldian conservatives, and libertarians could work together to sideline the Buckleyites and Reaganites within the great party of Lincoin and Eisenhower? Who knows.

Of course, if the evangelicals and Reaganites won the struggle, there's always Anderson's National Unity to jump ship to, reminiscing about the OTL split of the UK's Labour Party when parts of their party quit and form the SDP.

Mr. President, you've done another impressive chapter on The 1981 US Off-Year Elections ITTL. With President RFK leading the country, the Democrats are in full control. With Kenneth Gibson of New Jersey and Chuck Robb of Virginia, both were also Democrats, have won the election for Governor in their states. With the US are moving towards liberal and progressive policies thanks to the Democrats, the Republicans are going to need to change their views and return to what Presidents Eisenhower, Romney, and Bush stood for during their times in office. To the Republicans, if you want to stay relevant to the changing world, you must also change your views to keep up with the Democrats. With 1981 ITTL wrapping up, we're all looking forward on what 1982 ITTL could be for the world they're living in.

Forgive me again for replying at this late time due to me being busy schedule throughout morning and afternoon. Well Mr. President, looks like we're looking forward now for The Pop Culture of 1981 ITTL. With Jim Henson being in The Walt Disney Company, they're on for their Renaissance Age of Disney Animation. For Television, Norman Lear would continue to dominate the industry now that he's going to make more sitcoms that reflects the decade ITTL. The arrival of MTV is here geniuses, but hoping they keep showing music videos and not move towards reality shows as we move into the 90's ITTL.

In Movies, would Halloween and Friday the 13th continue making sequels and franchises that define the horror genre or not ITTL? It's already mentioned in the previous chapter that Wonder Woman was going to make a sequel after the 1975 Original and TV Series ITTL. The Shining was also going to be premiered this year with the direction of David Lynch, Stephen King being the author of the book and later adapt it into film, and with the performances of Jack Nance, Meryl Streep, and Sean Astin ITTL. We already know now geniuses that Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark was still be directed by Steven Spielberg, with the help of George Lucas, and Tom Selleck as the titular hero ITTL. I have a question for all of you, would you keep Selleck's mustache in this movie or shave it? Personally, I would like to see him clean-shaven. Geoffrey Rush was still the leading actor in Mad Max 2, which was said to be one of the best movie sequels ever made. I'm assuming that Julian Glover is definitely going to return as James Bond in For Your Eyes Only, I don't know when he's going to end and who could replace him after that, but we're looking forward who could be the next Bond. Does Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate would still be a flop that MGM later acquired United Artists or would be a successful movie ITTL? I didn't even know that John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd made another movie together in Neighbors? Hoping for Belushi to get into rehabilitation after surviving from his near-death experience by the time we arrived in 1982 ITTL. I'm also going to assume that Chariots of Fire, Arthur, Endless Love, and On Golden Pond would remain the same just as IOTL. Still looking forward for Farrah Fawcett to get her career comeback and avoid drug addictions to live a healthy lifestyle and maybe befriends Marilyn Monroe ITTL.

In Music, with The Beatles on hiatus once again to focus their solo careers, would their solo albums be more successful ITTL? Joy Division, U2, Styx, The Police, Van Halen, and ACDC continues to lead the music charts that define the decade as well. Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash went on hiatus for a while. Hoping that the Bee Gees and their album Living Eyes be a successful one, also their younger sibling Andy Gibb to avoid also drug abuse. I'm assuming ABBA and Donna Summer were out of the picture just as IOTL. While Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Phil Collins, and Queen would dominate the music of the decade just as IOTL, but in their better place ITTL.

For Sports, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were dominating basketball, Muhammad Ali did a heroic act of preventing the person to jump off the window in the building, and Mr. T and Hulk Hogan were still unknown but about to make their way in wrestling in the following years to come. Whoever Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 1981 ITTL may be, it's going to be President RFK again after surviving and recovering from the assassination attempt that continues to have an impressive first year in office. We'll see more of this information in the next pop culture updates geniuses!

It seems that the GOP has fallen into a civil war and it's beginning to hurt them it seems.

I wonder if that would lead to 1982 being a good year for Dems and 1984 being a Democrat landslide before the GOP course corrects for 86 and 88

It seems that the GOP has fallen into a civil war and it's beginning to hurt them it seems.

I wonder if that would lead to 1982 being a good year for Dems and 1984 being a Democrat landslide before the GOP course corrects for 86 and 88
Indeed. I also concurred with your assessment. It looks like the 80s are shaping into the GOP's decade in the wilderness. My prediction is that RFK would be succeeded by Bentsen, but he would only be a one-term president due to blue fatigue, ala OTL HW Bush.

Last edited:
Indeed. I also concurred with your assessment. It looks like the 80s are shaping into the GOP's decade in the wilderness. My prediction is that RFK would be succeeded by Bentsen, but he would only be a one-term president due to blue fatigue, ala OTL HW Bush.
There will already be blue fatigue, considering Kennedy the Younger is succeeding Mo Udall, also a progressive democrat.
My predictions for the future of the presidency are as follows:

40. Howard Baker (or Dick Thornburgh) (R) - (1989-1997)
41. Shirley Temple (R) - (1997-2001)
42. Some Johnson Wing Democrat (D) - (2001-2009)
43. Hillary Bush (R) - (2009-2017)
44. Barack Obama (D) - (2017-2025)

There will already be blue fatigue, considering Kennedy the Younger is succeeding Mo Udall, also a progressive democrat.

All excellent suggestions.

I think Temple will actually be before Baker if at all

small steps, buddy. Temple will be Baker's/Thornburgh's VP before becoming President herself.
We'll see, personally I'd prefer if she didn't need to run on the coatails of a male predecessor in order to win the election. And to serve two terms instead of losing to voter fatigue, because I feel like if that were to happen, people would say "Oh she only won because she followed a popular figure. She didn't win on her own."

Last edited:
That's assuming Obama develops any kind of serious political ambition ITTL at all.

We'll see, personally I'd prefer if she didn't need to run on the coatails of a male predecessor in order to win the election. And to serve two terms instead of losing to voter fatigue, because I feel like if that were to happen, people would say "Oh she only won because she followed a popular figure. She didn't win on her own."
Sexists could make that claim about pretty much any woman in any situation. "She only succeeded because [some man] helped her along the way". People who say that are generally not worth listening to.