Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Book of the Dead grossed $2.4 million in the United States and between $2.7 and $29.4 million worldwide, making it, proportionally, one of, if not the most profitable films of all time.
How big or rather small was the production budget if this is 'most profitable'?
Smekhov Ilyich (Walter Matthau), a former KGB officer who is the chief of counterintelligence for the Cuban Secret Service under Fidel Castro.
'Smekhov' is a Russian surname, 'Ilyich' is a patronymic. Such goof is very realistic. Hollywood should have at least one native Russian speaker/cyrillica reader for hire as a language expert to avoid names like Ashef Lshtshfum.

Last edited:
'Smekhov' is a Russian surname, 'Ilyich' is a patronomic. Such goof is very realistic. Hollywood should have at least one native Russian speaker/cyrillica reader for hire as a language expert to avoid names like Ashef Lshtshfum.
Also, where would TTL's "For Your Eyes Only" rank on the SCUM System?

Also, where would TTL's "For Your Eyes Only" rank on the SCUM System?
ALICE: Yet again, I find myself shaking my head at Glover and going 'Oh you daft old bastard...'
DEVON: And yet again, this film continues to make all women in its universe insanely attracted to old men.
ABI: Kim Basinger is clocky, that is the judgement of this podcast.
DEVON: Clocky and also looks a bit like your mum's friend, who wants to interest your mum in a multi-level marketing scheme.

[The latter being things that they actually said about Kim Basinger in Never Say Never Again... :p ]

ALICE: Yet again, I find myself shaking my head at Glover and going 'Oh you daft old bastard...'
DEVON: And yet again, this film continues to make all women in its universe insanely attracted to old men.
ABI: Kim Basinger is clocky, that is the judgement of this podcast.
DEVON: Clocky and also looks a bit like your mum's friend, who wants to interest your mum in a multi-level marketing scheme.

[The latter being things that they actually said about Kim Basinger in Never Say Never Again... :p ]
One of my favorite episodes.

By the way, I have a feeling For Your Eyes Only would probably be Glover's last Bond movie. I feel like he would think five was a good place to go out.

How big or rather small was the production budget if this is 'most profitable'?

'Smekhov' is a Russian surname, 'Ilyich' is a patronomic. Such goof is very realistic. Hollywood should have at least one native Russian speaker/cyrillica reader for hire as a language expert to avoid names like Ashef Lshtshfum.
$375,000 was the total budget for Book of the Dead.

Thank you haha I tried to capture the goofiness of some Bond villain names.

By the way @President_Lincoln Do you plan on doing like a TV retrospective on the 1980s to talk about shows like Hill Street Blues, The proposed Amos Show (A replacement for The Cosby Show) Miami Vice etc. Just to see how the butterflies have affected those particular shows?

By the way, I have a feeling For Your Eyes Only would probably be Glover's last Bond movie. I feel like he would think five was a good place to go out.
Gee, it couldn't possibly be because the update itself said he'd decided to retire from the role over his own frustration that the series felt directionless now could it...

Super Bowl XV - The Oakland Raiders (AFC), led by QB Jim Plunkett as MVP, defeat the Philadelphia Eagles (NFC) - 35 - 17.
Damn! Was hoping we'd win in this timeline... oh well.
The Stanley Cup - New York Islanders sweep the Minnesota North Stars.
Well, that's two consecutive Stanley Cup wins so far in this timeline... does that mean the New York Islanders dynasty will still happen here?
I actually have another question related to hockey in this timeline: did the NHL still merge with the WHA in 1979? And if so, what teams made it into the NHL? I don't believe it was ever mentioned. The initial deal would've included the Houston Aeros and Cincinatti Stingers along with the Whalers, Nordiques, Oilers, and Jets, but the Aeros and later Stingers were dropped as merger discussions continued. The NHL-WHA merger has a pretty important place in hockey history; after all, Wayne Gretsky started out playing for the Indianapolis Racers in 1978 before being traded to the Edmonton Oilers, all at the age of 17.
December 25th - Chuck Woolery hosted his last episode of the NBC game show Wheel of Fortune, quitting after a salary dispute with series producer and creator Merv Griffin. The next Monday, December 28, Pat Sajak began hosting.
Nice to see that Sajak is still on Wheel in TTL. I wonder if we'll still get Trebek on Jeopardy...?
But another Indiana Jones film - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Death - would eventually be released, in 1984.
Temple of Death instead of Temple of Doom, huh? I'm hoping the racist elements of OTL's Temple of Doom are butterflied, much like how Spielberg was able to course correct Lucas in regards to Marion and Indy's relationship ITTL. Overall, I love the changes you made to Raiders of the Lost Ark! It's some really good stuff.

I have one last question, though. OTL, Tom Baker threw in the towel as the Fourth Doctor on March 21st with the serial Logopolis. That serial saw the return of The Master portrayed by Anthony Ainley, which complicates things in this timeline since Roger Delgado didn't die in 1973. Any word on who plays the Fifth Doctor here? Apparently, the BBC was actually experimenting with the idea of a female Doctor around this time in OTL, but they went with the young Peter Davison instead... Also considered for the role was Richard Griffiths, who you might know from playing Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films. I actually have a few different ideas regarding Doctor Who as a whole in this timeline... mind if I send a PM your way, Mr. President?

Hey @President_Lincoln a long updates ago you talked about George R.R. Martin and I was wondering will we see in a later update what he's up? If my memory serves correct he's a screenwriter at this point right? Also do you see Game of Thrones being a thing ITTL?

Mr. President, you've done an impressive update on the Pop Culture of 1981 ITTL. The arrival of MTV changed the way music videos brought to us on television. I hope that this network continues to show music videos to this day ITTL and they prevent on making reality shows that ruined the network's original format by the time we arrived in the 90's ITTL. The death of Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Rock N' Roll Legend Jerry Lee Lewis was a surprising news for me. They could've continue beyond their untimely deaths, but this is your creation that I couldn't interfere. I'm mad and disappointed that you've killed them both. Would Phil Collins still going solo just like IOTL or would he remain with their band Genesis? So U2 IOTL is now The Hype ITTL? Alright then, I'm with you on this one. Good thing that The Tomorrow Show With Tom Snyder is still airing on TV ITTL. With the show continue throughout the decade ITTL, I think Late Night With David Letterman would come after this by the time we arrived on 1982 ITTL, and I also hope that The Midnight Special continues to this day ITTL.

You didn't mentioned music albums that were released this year and should include in the next pop culture update: John Lennon's Double Fantasy; Bee Gees' Living Eyes; Earth, Wind, & Fire's Raise!; ABBA's The Visitors; Olivia Newton-John's Physical; The Police's Ghost in the Machine; Hall and Oates' Private Eyes; The Go-Go's Beauty and the Beat; Air Supply's The One That You Love; Al Jarreau's Breakin' Away; Kim Wilde's Debut Album; The Carpenters' Made in America; George Harrison's Somewhere in England; Juice Newton's Juice; Spandau Ballet's Journeys to Love; Sheena Easton's Take My Time; Emmylou Harris' Evangeline; and Styx's Paradise Theater.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (later named as Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark) is still directed by Steven Spielberg just like IOTL, but now it's Tom Selleck as the leading anti-hero and Barbara Hershey as Marion Ravenwood ITTL. Good thing that their characters were classmates in college ITTL and not they have a 20-Year Gap IOTL with the So Have I Movement is in early stages. So we still going to see the finale that the Nazis opened The Ark of the Covenant that their faces melted and their bodies were electrocuted because they've awakened the ghosts in the ark. Temple of Doom IOTL was now Temple of Death ITTL? I hope this movie get a proper culture appropriation because they wouldn't work in today's time. If Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee ITTL gets an appropriate representation of the Native Americans, they should do the same as well for this movie by the time we arrived in 1984 ITTL. The Last Crusade should be last of it to make it one of the great movie trilogies of all time, the last 2 movies of this franchise IOTL were unnecessary and shouldn't exist and never made ITTL. For now, we're looking forward for his next movie on ET The Extra-Terrestrial in 1982, this movie should've won all of The Academy Awards, including Best Director and Best Picture ITTL. Steven Spielberg is still the directing Superman II ITTL, and not Richard Donner. Spielberg would direct the first and second movie back-to-back just like what Donner did IOTL.

The Evil Dead IOTL is now Book of the Dead ITTL? It's still gave me a lukewarm reaction, but I'll give it a try to keep up with the new movie title. Of course this is Sam Raimi's movie debut with his friend Bruce Campbell as the the leading character Ash Williams. Evil Dead II IOTL is now The Medieval Dead ITTL? They already did this plot on Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness IOTL, so this is now the plot for the sequel ITTL? Alright I'm looking forward to it. We're wondering and looking forward on what would be the plot for the third movie to wrapped up the trilogy. Groovy!

Excalibur IOTL was now King Arthur ITTL? Okay then. Now with Liam Neeson as the titular king and Patrick Stewart in his film debut as Merlin ITTL? That's surprising but I'll allow it. The rest of the cast were still the same just as IOTL, but who's actors would play Gawain and Leodegrance in this movie ITTL? I think this decade will be The Golden Age of Live-Action Arthurian Adaptations with the success of Ridley Scott's Tristan and Isolde in 1980 ITTL.

An American Werewolf in London was the first horror-comedy movie that became successful? I've never heard of this information before and I'm assuming that this will be the template on how to make a successful and new movie genre. I hope it's director John Landis prevent the disaster on what happened to The Twilight Zone: The Movie that was a setback from his movie career IOTL, and hope that this won't happen and his career as a director continues to be successful ITTL.

Time Bandits were financed by George Harrison's film company? I didn't know about that information but impressive. Can you make The Beatles did financed this movie, did the movie soundtrack, and got a movie cameos on who did they portrayed? I've just wished that Paul McCartney didn't made this movie named Give My Regards to Broad Street by the time we've arrived in 1984 ITTL, I didn't know he did the script for this and the plot for this is a disaster. Maybe he could get help from other scriptwriters to improved this movie. The movie soundtrack is great, but not the movie. Instead of only McCartney in this movie he's been writing, how about The Beatles again for their comeback career just like what they did in A Hard Day's Night in 1964.

For Your Eyes Only would be Julian Glover's fifth and final time he would portrayed as James Bond that while it was a box-office success for keeping it again grounded and realistic just like Moonraker, Kim Basinger as the next Bond Girl that turned her career into superstardom, and Danny Trejo in his film debut, it was a mixed-reaction for critics due to the movie being rushed and Walter Matthau as Ilyich was a miscast, it should've been an actor who has a Russian Heritage. With Glover leaving the franchise, who could be his replacement for the next movie Octopussy in 1983 ITTL. Is Never Say Never Again going to be made here ITTL or not? It was said to be a remake of Thunderball in 1965 due to the copyright dispute between Fleming and others.

On Golden Pond was also a wonderful movie that was a hit with both audiences and critics with Henry Fonda winning his Academy Award for Best Actor, Katherine Hepburn for Best Actress, Jane Fonda for Best Supporting Actress, and Best Original Screenplay. A father-daughter dynamic duo that makes their relationship onscreen as natural indeed.

I have other movie suggestions that you should include for this update: Chariots of Fire, Reds, Mad Max 2, Escape from New York, Neighbors, The Cannonball Run, Stripes, Halloween II, Friday the 13th Part 2, The Shining, Wonder Woman, Arthur, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Endless Love, Mommie Dearest, Taps, Ragtime, Pennies From Heaven, Absence of Malice, Prince of the City, First Monday in October, Victory, Gallipoli, Possession, Das Boot, Priest of Love, One from the Heart, Rollover, Heaven's Gate, History of the World Part I, The Great Muppet Caper, The Four Seasons, Modern Romance, The Fox and the Hound, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Gregory's Girl, Continental Divide, Rich and Famous, Heartbeeps, Porky's, American Pop, Thief, The Last Chase, and Blow Out.

For more news about Movies and Television, who's going to replace Tom Baker in Doctor Who ITTL, because he ended his tenure by at this point in time. Weird Al is here geniuses, Norman Lear still working in the industry, Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira is also here as well, we can't forget the worldwide television event of the year with The Wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Amanda Knatchbull, Natalie Wood survived ITTL, HBO now continues to air 24/7, and Pat Sajak is now hosting Wheel of Fortune that continues to this day.

Finally, The Time Magazine's Person of the Year goes to Lech Wałęsa. An inspiring figure in Poland along with Pope Stanislaus, hope he gets free from jail to continue his work as the Leader of the Polish Solidarity Union. I thought it's going to be President RFK again after surviving his assassination attempt in 1981 ITTL that continues his success on his first year in office.

Overall, another impressive update on the Pop Culture of 1981 ITTL. I've already mentioned here before on the movies and music albums that you should've included in the next time you're going to post. Forgive me for replying very late due to being busy just this weekend on my family going to a vacation to celebrate my mother's birthday yesterday on Sunday. Well geniuses, we'll see more of movies and albums of 1981 ITTL in the next chapter updates.

You still haven't post yet on who will be The Nobel Prize Winners from 1967-1981 ITTL.

Last edited:
For Your Eyes Only would be Julian Glover's fifth and final time he would portrayed as James Bond that while it was a box-office success for keeping it again grounded and realistic just like Moonraker, Kim Basinger as the next Bond Girl that turned her career into superstardom, and Danny Trejo in his film debut, it was a mixed-reaction for critics due to the movie being rushed and Walter Matthau as Ilyich was a miscast, it should've been an actor who has a Russian Heritage. With Glover leaving the franchise, who could be his replacement for the next movie Octopussy in 1983 ITTL. Is Never Say Never Again going to be made here ITTL or not? It was said to be a remake of Thunderball in 1965 due to the copyright dispute between Fleming and others.
I don't think Never Say Never Again will happen, the events leading to it have been butterflied away.
I really really hope Timothy Dalton is picked up as Bond, I made my choices for the next Bond clear in a previous post.
And I also hope that, because the Western world is generally more aware of India, Octopussy, while it's 'exotic' won't go around bolstering stereotypes.

Also, @President_Lincoln, '80s Aerosmith is my favourite Aerosmith so I hate your with every fibre of my being, (/s)

Hm, I had a thought. Would the Titanic be discovered any earlier in this timeline. Like maybe Robert Ballard's first expedition is successful or the expedition that National Geographic and Disney were planning gets off the ground and gets lucky?