沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

I think it's been done already: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes

The guy who did this has translated both Kingdoms and Water Margin, I believe - so the influence I think, is rather strong.
Hmmm maybe but am unsure and I reckon China would prefer a more faithful approach.

“Romance of the Three Star Systems” perhaps? Or something among those lines of a cosmic theme, like Three Cosmos or Three Worlds.

I suspect that we actually wouldn’t get such a thing until Star Wars comes out which would provide the inspiration/approach for how China sees it.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, I hope we still get faithful adaptations of the Four Great Chinese novels. The 1994 Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation is really great and I hope it still happens in this TL.

Hello,

I have a minor interest in one development of Chinese cinema...
It's likely this type of cinema will develop here in the same way it did OTL, though I am interested in hearing of any divergences.
Kung-fu movies will definitely be made, and the phenomenon will be covered in this TL.
What about the development of Chinese science-fiction, what will happen to Chinese science-fiction, if there's any?
There will be Chinese sci-fi.

四十三, Sino-Japanese relations
We have always said that the violent militarism of Japan is our enemy, not the people of Japan. Although the armed forces of the enemy have been defeated and must be made to observe strictly all the terms of surrender, yet we should not for a moment think of revenge or heap abuses upon the innocent people of Japan. We can only pity them because they have been so sadly deceived and misled, and hope that they will break away from the wrong-doing and crimes of their nation. Let all our fellow citizens, soldiers and civilians remember this.

-Chiang Kai-shek, August 15, 1945

The Second World War was a defining moment in the history of China and Japan. For those eight years [1], Sino-Japanese relations would be at their absolute lowest. Fifteen million dead was the low estimate for the casualties in the war. Everyone in both countries knew someone who died. Understandably, this made relations between the two countries tense, even after the war ended. Though the anger was mutual, it was not equal. Japan inflicted much greater loss on China than China did on Japan. To this day, anti-Japanese sentiment is common in China, though it has died down in recent years. In the years immediately following Japan’s surrender, both countries were facing much more pressing concerns than their relationship with each other. Japan was being restructured under an American military occupation government and China was in the middle of a civil war.

As the Chinese Civil War was winding down, so was the American military government in Japan. In 1951, delegates from Allied nations met in San Francisco to discuss the terms for the official end of the war. In the treaty, Taiwan was officially handed over to the Republic of China (in practice the ROC had controlled the island for seven years and was going to keep it regardless of what the treaty said. South Sakhalin was given to the Soviet Union. China pushed its claims on the Diaoyu Islands [2] and demanded reparations from Japan. The CC Clique was adamant that Japan pay for the damage it inflicted on China. Chen Lifu, who had recently taken over the faction after the death of his brother, spoke incessantly of the need to punish Japan. In 1952, Chen Lifu was still Vice President of the Legislative Yuan and was at best the fifth most powerful man in China. He and his supporters would have little influence on the treaty (though this wouldn’t stop him from claiming otherwise during the 1970s).

1656156240314.jpeg

(Diaoyu Islands)

China was able to secure reparations, though it wasn’t able to secure a specific date for them. The Diaoyu Islands was a harder issue to solve. The United States, the Soviet Union, and Britain stood in China’s way. China was supported by India and a few other countries in East Asia and the Middle East. The Treaty would leave the fate of the islands undetermined. In 1952 group of men from Taiwan took a fishing boat to some of the Diaoyu Islands and planted the Chinese flag, though the flags were eventually taken down by the US Navy. They were acting under orders of Chen Lifu. Later that year, US President Harry Truman lost his bid for reelection, which caused a major foreign policy shakeup. Robert Taft indicated his willingness to give China the Diaoyu Islands. In 1954, his successor William Knowland finalized the transfer of the islands to China.

1952 saw the reestablishment of diplomatic relations between China and Japan. The next two years would see the final executions of Japanese war criminals and some Manchukuo collaborators. The treatment of war criminals and traitors was uneven and some would call it arbitrary. Some collaborators received death sentences (Emperor Puyi would have been executed had he returned to China), others were given positions in the Chinese government. Chinese prosecutors were especially harsh on anyone involved in Unit 731. The final Japanese war criminal was put to death in Shenyang, Liaoning in 1955. At Shigeru Fujita’s trial, evidence of his use of torture, bacterial warfare, and forcing of civilians to clear minefields was brought up. Shigeru had spent nine years in the Soviet Union until he was handed over as part of Georgy Malenkov’s attempts to woo China.

1656156372522.jpeg

(Shigeru Fujita)

In 1952, China sent Dong Xianguang to be China’s first ambassador to Japan since 1938. Yoshizawa Kenji became the first Japanese ambassador to the Republic of China (excluding the Wang Jingwei regime) since 1940. The road to healing the relationship between the two countries had begun, but there was still friction. Japan’s Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida, who was supported by America, was a China hawk in the years leading up to the Second World War. There was also concern during the 1950s that Nobusuke Kishi might become prime minister, but that never happened. Nobusuke would have been tried and executed for war crimes if he had ever set foot in China again. In 1962, Japan finished paying war reparations to China. In 1968, 23 years after the end of the Second World War, Japan was admitted into the Organization for East Asian Cooperation.

1656156416514.jpeg

(Shigeru Yoshida)

1: World War II is thought of as an eight year war in China
2: Known today as the Senkaku Islands, they are administered by Japan

There was also concern during the 1950s that Nobusuke Kishi might become prime minister, but that never happened. Nobusuke would have been tried and executed for war crimes if he had ever set foot in China again.
The reference to how the Devil of Showa never became the PM ITTL makes me highly interested in an interlude focusing on politics of China's neighbors like Vietnam, Japan, Burma, the Koreas, and Thailand.

The reference to how the Devil of Showa never became the PM ITTL makes me highly interested in an interlude focusing on politics of China's neighbors like Vietnam, Japan, Burma, the Koreas, and Thailand.

They'll certainly be covered, and I put that blurb in this chapter in order to leave a hint as to what Japan's political situation develops. I plan on writing a chapter dedicated to Japan eventually. I don't know when I'll get to Thailand, but Thailand will definitely be covered too.

Windows95

Banned

What did Taiwan did in the realm of land reform, and what ROC could do?

Additionally, there's a good book for you to read, Robert Wade's Governing the Market. Taiwan's public enterprises fill in the commanding heights, and that includes nationalization of the banks.

What did Taiwan did in the realm of land reform, and what ROC could do?
Land Reform in Taiwan was actually pretty similar to OTL. On the mainland it was accomplished largely through payments to landlords and shares in government-owned enterprises. Some landlords did better than others
Additionally, there's a good book for you to read, Robert Wade's Governing the Market. Taiwan's public enterprises fill in the commanding heights, and that includes nationalization of the banks.
I'll have to check it out.