A New Beginning - Our 1992 Russian Federation

Speaking of which, we need a tighter grip on PMCs like Wagner. For starters, they should never be in a position where they could even attempt a coup against us, and second, the Americans' willingness to let their PMCs run with less restrictions than the regular military is an opportunity. That is, we should have our PMCs operate under no less restrictions as the regular military, i.e. just because they're PMCs and not state military, doesn't mean they can run fast and loose with rules of war.

In short, PMCs can be useful as cat's paws, but let's not waste the chance to show-up the West that our PMCs are more professional and disciplined than theirs are.
Well, Wagner Group is a pet project of Putin, which makes it FSB run PMC. We have also military run or controlled PMC's and corporate PMC's like Gazprom's Fakel. Nevertheless, no PMC is and never will be strong enough to threaten Russian state,. Besides all PMC whether FSB, military or corporate, are controlled by the state, there are no private PMC's like in USA.

To add to @guywpotato 's list:
Buy ASML and as many others like it. Use it to create a robust chip manufacturer industry locally. E.g. Intel and NVidea live of their technology.
Btw could you write what would be outcome of our hypothetical war against A) NATO in Europe B) China in Asia. I am really curious about conventional potential of our armed forces in 2010.

Btw could you write what would be outcome of our hypothetical war against A) NATO in Europe B) China in Asia. I am really curious about conventional potential of our armed forces in 2010.
Personally, there's no way either would end without a nuclear exchange. But we'd probably 'win' any nuclear exchange against China. NATO, though? The best we could hope for is mutual annihilation.

I know, but I want to know on what level Russian armed forces are right now.
Well, if America leaves NATO we could probably win. We absolutely will if Brexit also includes leaving NATO ITTL, likewise for France under a le Pen administration (which we should totally support). Further undermine potential rival supranational institutions by bypassing them in favor of bilateral agreements with other powers.

Speaking of nuclear annihilation, I wonder how Metro is gonna be like ITTL?
Very similar to OTL. but even more successful than due to events in 2007 and worldwide presence of Russian pop-culture, so Metro franchise in general is almost as popular (like in 80%) as Fallout franchise globally.

Very similar to OTL. but even more successful than due to events in 2007 and worldwide presence of Russian pop-culture, so Metro franchise in general is almost as popular (like in 80%) as Fallout franchise globally.
That's good since it would give (Bethesda's) Fallout a competition in the post apocalypse genre.

2010 may not be the best time for hypothetical comparisons because we are in middle of major overhaul. So, 2012 may sounds good for such comparison.

Dear players/readers I would really appreciate you sharing your ideas/initiative Russia could or should pursue.
Expand to the Arctic since besides the natural resources there, it could help easier to transport good from Europe to East asia and vice versa. So more ice breakers and floating nuclear power plants

Outlandish suggestion for Russia to take: with America being all wishy-washy (if not outright opposed thanks to Evangelican opposition and influence in their decision-making), Russia could take the lead in Human genetic engineering. Imagine a future where no parent ever has to worry about their children ever being born with congenital disorders. Where every child can look forward to a future free of such things as heart disease, cancer, renal disorders, and other such things. A future where people can live twice as long and stay younger for a proportionally-equivalent if not greater time. Perhaps even go beyond simply freeing our children and their children from the scourge of congenital defects, short lifespans, and genetic disorders, but unlock their full potential, stronger, smarter, and more endurance, through the power of genetic engineering.

The New Soviet Man may have proven a mere delusion...but the New Russian Man need not be so.

How much is ITL russian army better than IRL at this time
Much better, At the end of the day, the main problems with the Russian armed forces are money, corruption, and ineffective quality control. We are able to safeguard our defence industries, not unlike OTL, where Russia lost most of its industrial capabilities. We are also investing a huge amount of money in modernising our forces.
In 2012, our air force will be significantly more powerful with a variety of aircraft, such as the Mig35, Su35, Su34, heavy focus on Aw&s, and other electronic measures. We may even start low-level production of Su57.
Our Navy will have Borie and Yasan classes by 2012.
Our ground forces may not have the capabilities to reach the Rhine in 2012, but they can surely overran Poland, Romania, and Baltic countries in conventional war.

Speaking of which, we need a tighter grip on PMCs like Wagner. For starters, they should never be in a position where they could even attempt a coup against us, and second, the Americans' willingness to let their PMCs run with less restrictions than the regular military is an opportunity. That is, we should have our PMCs operate under no less restrictions as the regular military, i.e. just because they're PMCs and not state military, doesn't mean they can run fast and loose with rules of war.

In short, PMCs can be useful as cat's paws, but let's not waste the chance to show-up the West that our PMCs are more professional and disciplined than theirs are.
I think the only reason why Wagner is able to do what they did in our world is because the charisma of the wagner leadership and the terrible management of the Russia military during its war

Also about the rule of war it’s going be hard since if the pmc of this world is like in our world they are going to be use by people that don’t care about the rules of war and by having the russia pmc follow the rules of war would make them not be that attractive to hire

Selfishly this means I'd like Ukraine's per capita to be a good deal lower than Russia's lol so that if we do incorporate them into the Union State our population increases and our per capita goes down.

I don't really know, if you look at prognosis for Union State we shouldn't be that far of from China by 2028 at which point having lower peer capita won't help us much as we will be valid rival and opposed to China we repeatedly showed willingness to confront USA which will probably put us somewhat ahead of China at threat level, or USA may simply decide to keep it's positive relations with China, or strike some kind of deal and focus on us.

So i generally prefer to have higher peer Capita income overall, that way at least we are preserving our own sozial cohesion by not impowershing Russia overall.

Sitting in the background probably won't be an option for us as we will be viable rival weary soon and we are more confrontional abd openly expansionist.

I can say for 100% that the Russian leadership does not have in plans incorporating states like Georgia, Armenia and stans (except for Russian dominated oblasts in Kazakhstan), as they have learned the lesson from USSR. The Union State now consisting of Russia, Belarus, Transnistria and Gaguazia is a Slavic and Orthodox union and it will remain this way. The Russian leadership does not want to repeat problems with Caucasus and Central Asia like USSR had back in 80s. Also they learned the lesson from the Soviet collapse in 80s very well, and are making sure that none of Soviet mistakes would be ever repeated. Also, with the Union State we are in process of 3rd Russian imperial project (after Russian Empire and the USSR) , whether we like it or not.

Yea this time around Russian leadership is more focused on creation of more coherent State similar to Western Europe , USA and China opposed to letting ideology be it's binding glue.

It's also focused on economic sustainability of the project.

Generally if Ukraine is annexed we should probably consider changing the name of our union to Eastslavia, or Eastslavian union...

Generally idea is to have an identity that binds all three main member states, or more accurately Ukraine and Russia. Given that we upcoming entity will be even more Slavic dominated than Russian Federation, will be mostly Slavic culturally we may as well go with it.

We could of course add every member state name, or names of three main members but then we are just going back into individual national identity and Euroasian identity is to vague and most of the member state's probably cannot resonate with it . East Slavic identity should be best option.

Other option could be to use Union of Rus as official name to invoke Kievan Rus.

I do wonder what people in thinking of the near wars between Russia and the West after the fall of the SU. This Russia is a democratic one after all, albeit not a liberal one, so much more difficult to tar with the authoritarian brush. Well, to some extent at least, there’ll always be a sizable strain of authoritarianism in Russia so maybe people are simply taking the old pre-cold war Great Power rivalries as coming back into play.

It’s always been The Russian Tsardom, The Russian Empire, The Soviet Union, The Russian Federation, the modern union’s name is the only one I think doesn’t quite fit oddly. Maybe The Rus Pact or The Russian League, even The Rus Hierarchy because unions, federations and republics are rather common nowadays lol

Last edited:
I do wonder what people in thinking of the near wars between Russia and the West after the fall of the SU. This Russia is a democratic one after all, albeit not a liberal one, so much more difficult to tar with the authoritarian brush. Well, to some extent at least, there’ll always be a sizable strain of authoritarianism in Russia so maybe people are simply taking the old pre-cold war Great Power rivalries as coming back into play.

This is actually quite valid question that Western politicians will have to answer as opposed to otl their rival is democratic country with high living standards. Generally its a lot harder to exclude Russia from civilization and this actually might also be why many Western/USA politicians will probably focus on New Cold war with China while trying to achieve early goal of Democratic Party of Russia joining Western USA led order, or at least supporting it.

It's probably a lot easier for USA politicians to strike a deal with fellow democracy.

I can say for 100% that the Russian leadership does not have in plans incorporating states like Georgia, Armenia and stans (except for Russian dominated oblasts in Kazakhstan), as they have learned the lesson from USSR.
The USSR didn't need the resources in the Stans that much. A Semiconductor / ICT based society as the Union State does though. Why do you think the USA now has bases there? Hint: it's not because of Russia.