AHC: A plausible timeline to leave all post-1985 Anglophone Pop culture unrecognizable

Basically, the challenge is, without Political Dystopia or Nuclear war, have a timeline which, by an alternate 2023, most American Pop Culture in the last 35 years we know doesn't exist, with a POD after the year 1985. The doesn't need to be from pop culture.

Last edited:
Basically, the challenge is, without Political Dystopia or Nuclear war, have a timeline which, by an alternate 2023, most American Pop Culture in the last 35 years we know doesn't exist, after the year 1985.
I'd suggest having American Film companies, such as Disney, go bankrupt. I'm not knowledgable enough to know a good PoD for this, But I think it could work.

Basically, the challenge is, without Political Dystopia or Nuclear war, have a timeline which, by an alternate 2023, most American Pop Culture in the last 35 years we know doesn't exist, with a POD after the year 1985.
Does this mean that the POD has to originate within the entertainment world or some part of pop culture?
I'd suggest having American Film companies, such as Disney, go bankrupt. I'm not knowledgable enough to know a good PoD for this, But I think it could work.
Or alternatively, change the composition of the major media conglomerates - which, given the POD, is pretty easy since the 1980s and 1990s were a time of media consolidation.

For example, let's say that maybe instead of Warner Bros. selling Warner-Amex Satellite Entertainment - owners of MTV Networks and thus MTV and Nickelodeon - to Viacom in 1985, Warner partially or wholly keeps the network group. Or, maybe Turner and Disney somehow collaborate to split MGM/UA amongst themselves in 1986 rather than Turner alone trying to go at it. Or, maybe Columbia Pictures is bought by CBS instead of Sony in the late 1980s (which in turn butterflies MCA's sale to Matsushita Electric in 1990).

if allowed an earlier Pod Dyson not Lewis and Tolkien becomes the famous Inkling. another one is to butterfly Meyers and Rowling as despite their quality they have an oversized influence in YA
Basically, the challenge is, without Political Dystopia or Nuclear war, have a timeline which, by an alternate 2023, most American Pop Culture in the last 35 years we know doesn't exist, with a POD after the year 1985.

Maybe the VCR never really takes off and is discontinued by 1985. This would have a big butterfly effect, especially on movies and tv, since there's no way to "revisit" them.

Ban/tax cheaper animation from Asia and save Hanna Barbera.
Find some way to kill cable TV. It really is such an American phenomenon. Media watching habits won't atomise as quickly.

Ban/tax cheaper animation from Asia
What?
and save Hanna Barbera.
This is 1 I can agree with
Find some way to kill cable TV. It really is such an American phenomenon. Media watching habits won't atomise as quickly.
Or make it more smarter & better.
there was already the betamax
LaserDisc too.

God I loved LaserDisc.
Why not have both live in harmony?
Me too! In fact I have the original versions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy on Laserdisc.
HOW DID YOU GET THEM?

Taking out a very successful band that is seen as leading a new musical and fashion wave leaves a vacuum that could be filled by a different wave.

For example...

Noel and Liam Gallagher get caught for burglary, get imprisoned and become career criminals. No Britpop or Cool Britannia.

Krist Novoselic never returns from Yugoslavia in 1981. No Nirvana and Grunge never becomes a phenomenon.

Or in terms of films...

John Hughes doesn't drop out of University and works as an advertising executive before becoming a Michigan State Senator. The absence of a whole genre of teen movies results in programmes like '13 Reasons Why', 'Sex Education', 'How to get away with murder', and 'One of Us is Lying' never being realised.

Hanna Barbera was killed by lower cost Asian animation houses like Sunbow. It was part of the equation along with advertising laws that fueled the toy based cartoons of the 80s that are the basis of so much of today's pop culture. Hanna Barbera had a serious monopoly. Imagine another decade of Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussy-cats, and Super Friends.

Hanna Barbera was killed by lower cost Asian animation houses like Sunbow. It was part of the equation along with advertising laws that fueled the toy based cartoons of the 80s that are the basis of so much of today's pop culture. Hanna Barbera had a serious monopoly. Imagine another decade of Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussy-cats, and Super Friends.
It was more cuz of them getting lazy. If it wasn't for the 90s, They would've died earlier........