Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, I'm a big fan of convertible tanks (meaning tanks with a drive system capable of being converted between tracked and wheeled modes, not a tank with a removable roof)- they were a major fad in the 1930s. In addition to the ones you listed, the Czech KH-50 looks properly ridiculous in side view:
View attachment 740182
In general, tank transport and logistics hadn't really been worked out before WW2, and tank transporters and the heavy trucks to pull them were generally in short supply when they were available at all. All of this has been an excuse to post my personal favorite design vaguely along these lines, the Polish Ursus Autotransporter:
View attachment 740181

This may look like a tankette on a trailer that hasn't yet been hitched up to its towing vehicle- but it is not! Instead, the TK3 tankette was designed with a power take-off system designed to let it hook up to the special trailer and power it, with one of the crewmen getting out of the tankette and driving the autotransporter which was designed with everything needed for a vehicle except the engine. In theory the tankettes were supposed to be able to tow the autotransporter behind them over rough ground- in practice, had this contraption been tried in a real war there would have been a bunch of abandoned Ursuses (Ursi?) littering the fields and a bunch of tankettes with worn-out tracks...
That's awesome! I hadn't seen it before. The fact it is completely impractical doesn't stop it being a creative solution to a major challenge.
You could make a lifelong enemy just by saying "or we could build a flatbed truck" to the designer's boss.

Apparently during the development of the type 99 there was a argument in between doing a Soviet style one versus making them more western style tank so I'm wondering if someone can make a western style type 99 with the indigenous 120 mm smoothbore gun that's on the type 89 tank destroyer

Hey @Claymore found this pic and it reminded me of your Courland Pocket theme.
3134f11b1065e2227f0ec095af3388cc.jpg

Looks like an Sd.Kfz.251 with a T-50 turret mounted on it, not a bad mod.
From what I could find online, this was apparently a mockup T-34 turret used for training. Still really cool though.

Some more late Cold War US Armor bits:
1652298634262.png

Detente/Vietnam were hard on the tank force. A full 7k tanks were missing.

1652298703640.png

M60A4 is a real thing! A thought experiment for the National Guard in 1988, quickly shelved in favor of deploying M1A1s (preferably M1s upgraded to that configuration with the 120). The end of the Cold War would butterfly the rebuilding program while the NG easily got existing M1A1s.

XM24-Enhanced 105mm gun. A program from 1983 which would regun M60A3s and basic M1s with a longer (L56-ish) and higher pressure 105 to remain competitive with the 120 at low costs. Cancelled 1988-ish in favor of regunned 120mm M1s and an early end to M60A3.
Study here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...66961242/20181815MNBT989112192F153419I005.pdf

1652299057027.png

M1A2, but with even better fire control and optics and the lighter 120mm L55 XM291 gun from the CATTB.
1652299136501.png

What I called "FLATBRAMS". Not sure if the sketch was correct, but FCS were further improved, electric turret drive was added (like Leopard 2A5), supposedly low profile turret ala K2/Leclerc with autoloader.
1652299243264.png

1652299260801.png

The potential of M1 with autoloader and compact AIPS powerpack.

Ooh, the 'flatBrams' looks neat. The potential to have multiple magazines on board with the compact powerplant is a very interesting idea, I wonder if they expected the autoloader to also have the capacity to 'shuffle' rounds between the turret and hull magazines.

Ooh, the 'flatBrams' looks neat. The potential to have multiple magazines on board with the compact powerplant is a very interesting idea, I wonder if they expected the autoloader to also have the capacity to 'shuffle' rounds between the turret and hull magazines.
AFAIK that's what the "Automated ready rd resupply" was going to entail. The Soviet UVZ design bureau considered a 10-round replenisher for the carroussel autoloader of a 60s tank study, and multiple later proposals could shuffle rounds.

Something I also found is the EX-36, a lightweight low recoil 120mm with M256 ballistics similar to the 105mm EX-35 of the M8 AGS, proposed for another AGS study(MP-AGS).
This kinda makes the OTL 2022 MPF look bad with the 105mm EX-35 at 40 tons.

What I called "FLATBRAMS". Not sure if the sketch was correct, but FCS were further improved, electric turret drive was added (like Leopard 2A5), supposedly low profile turret ala K2/Leclerc with autoloader.
What are the advantages of a western-type autoloader compared to Russian autoloaders?

What are the advantages of a western-type autoloader compared to Russian autoloaders?
Within the context of the T-triad specifically, it allows for the use of longer and unitary ammo, so better penetration potential. It is possible to rework the Soviet autoloaders to use longer rounds (done on T-90M), but very deep changes would be needed to use long unitary ammo with carroussel autoloaders (special geometry and/or increase in size and thoroughly reworked layout).
Ammo cookoffs don't try to launch the turret into orbit
This is a tradeoff. For one, bustle racks with blowout pannels are far from being the ultimate answer. They do not work when the loading door is opened to get a round, and they do not work if the hit comes from a rear-side angle that penetrates the crew compartment since the explosion will go inside. They won't work for shots penetrating the crew compartment and bustle either. They only work for the very specific case of a penetration from an angle where only the bustle rack is hit, but not the crew compartment.

Conversely, this choice means that you need a larger and heavier turret and that your protected arc will be smaller since the bustle sticks so far out the back. So you have even less weight budget for the frontal and side armor. So for the benefit of occasionally preventing ammo explosions inside of the crew compartment, you actively make penetration more likely in general. The carroussel autoloader on Soviet tanks may not be as safe and survivable as the bustle rack after an ammo detonation, but its placement low in the tank and the heavier armor that is possible with this layout means that you can potentially avoid a lot of penetrations in the first place, that would happen with a tank with a bustle.

In any case, life sucks if the crew compartment is penetrated anyway.

Sounds cool but I'm disappointed that only two of them are historically from OTL and those late tier TD's might get nerfed if they're too good.
Yeah Wargaming but hey I don´t really mind that if they just simply put it in the describtion
but they don´t.

But if you listen to his words in the Dev. Diaries IT TD´s on 9:20 he says something about two more tanks.. well at least thats how I look at it but they couldn't get their hands on it?

marathag

Banned
Conversely, this choice means that you need a larger and heavier turret and that your protected arc will be smaller since the bustle sticks so far out the back. So you have even less weight budget for the frontal and side armor. So for the benefit of occasionally preventing ammo explosions inside of the crew compartment, you actively make penetration more likely in general. The
But helps balance the turret with the heavy armor and gun. Panels aren't perfect, but that does let M1 crews a better chance at surviving a hit that would kill everyone in a Sov style tank with an autoloader.
Or the Leclerc conveyor autoloader that feeds from the bustle.

But helps balance the turret with the heavy armor and gun. Panels aren't perfect, but that does let M1 crews a better chance at surviving a hit that would kill everyone in a Sov style tank with an autoloader.
Or the Leclerc conveyor autoloader that feeds from the bustle.
I mean, yes, there are other reasons why you might like a bustle. Blowouts are a way to mitigate the safety problem of a bustle. That said, balance isn't such a severe problem. Soviet tanks were fairly well balanced with the stowage they put at the back.

Yeah Wargaming but hey I don´t really mind that if they just simply put it in the describtion
but they don´t.

But if you listen to his words in the Dev. Diaries IT TD´s on 9:20 he says something about two more tanks.. well at least thats how I look at it but they couldn't get their hands on it?
Well hopefully WoT will introduce some more Italian TD's in the future, the Semovente L40 da 47 could be a tier 1 or 2 TD and the Semovente da 90_53 could make a decent tier 6 TD.
Hoping we see more in the future but we should probably take this over to the WoT thread, here's a link if you don't have one - https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-official-world-of-tanks-thread-ii.323004/

I have to wonder. I often play with an Neutral and united Germany by 1947/1948 (depending of the July plot matters) duo to Zhukov and other politicians at that time.
Now what I question myself is how a German MBT would look like.
Let' say that the Germans get their independence in 1948 and want to build a MBT. The British and Soviet needed 3 to 2 years for their first drawings to turn into the first produced vehicles. So let's give the Germans like 4 years. How would a German MBT developed from 1948 till 1952 look like? Do I need to imagine something like a thinner Löwe mixed with Indien Panzer and a primitive Leo 1 prototype?

Did someone actually thought of this already?

I have to wonder. I often play with an Neutral and united Germany by 1947/1948 (depending of the July plot matters) duo to Zhukov and other politicians at that time.
Let' say that the Germans get their independence in 1948 and want to build a MBT. The British and Soviet needed 3 to 2 years for their first drawings to turn into the first produced vehicles. So let's give the Germans like 4 years. How would a German MBT developed from 1948 till 1952 look like? Do I need to imagine something like a thinner Löwe mixed with Indien Panzer and a primitive Leo 1 prototype?

4 years is far too short in peacetime. Leopard 1 was ridiculously reliant on off-the-shelf tech and was very conservative and it still took 8 years to put in service. Chieftain took 12, AMX-30 10. The only rushed new designs were M48 because the blueprints already existed in 48 and it still was very flawed.

Regardless, would most likely leverage Maybach and ZF components developped for the French, Mercedes-Benz diesels otherwise, high velocity 88 or 90mm and otherwise Leo 1-like.

I've played with this idea in the past and one of them I took the Indian panzer's turret and suspension and mated it to a Leo-I hull and armed it a 105mm gun.
Alt Post War Panzer 4.png

Not one of my best designs but I could picture the Germans doing something along these lines, maybe I should've kept the 90mm gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.