America Needs A Hart: A Gary Hart Story

Prologue
America Needs A Hart
imageedit_72_3048006326.png

A Gary Hart Story

Prologue

The sun rises on a cold morning in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It’s election day in America however little that fact resonates on many in the country. Most Americans have their minds set on what’s happening thousands of miles away in Vietnam. It’s the single event seemingly to never fall out of public interest especially compared to this election. 22 months ago George McGovern the Democratic Senator of South Dakota made a longshot and seemingly hopeless run for the nomination. Defying the norms of the institutions of the party he led a surprisingly successful coalition of anti-war youths, progressives, and Hollywood celebrities all the way to the nomination in Miami. It would be a happy story with a happy conclusion if it wasn’t currently Tuesday November 7th, 1972, by the most liberal margins McGovern was going to get trounced big time. His campaign, although successful at rallying young voters and progressives failed to wean away independents, moderates, any conservatives at all, and probably 1/3rd of his own party. A good question would be how did this happen? McGovern wasn’t, NO he couldn’t be the worst candidate for President in history! The person who could answer this question was coincidentally just waking up as much as he desired to bury his head back into his pillow; he wasn't set on giving up just yet even on the last day of his current job.

Gary Hart wakes up from a short night of sleep in his Sioux Fall hotel room he's occupied on and off over the last week of McGovern's campaign. Poetically McGovern is content regardless of the outcome to end his candidacy at home instead of making any last appearances in New York or elsewhere. Hart himself isn't entirely upset with this arrangement but wishes he could get McGovern more media attention than him just being at home. As Hart gets dressed and goes down to the hotel's coffee maker he thinks about some big mistakes he wishes he had corrected. "Perhaps George shot himself in the foot too much on policies, maybe he should've reached out to more unions instead of weed dens, we should've given Eagleton a better gut check." With a fresh cup of coffee in one hand and his car keys in the other he was about to set out to his car to go over to the campaign HQ in the city. Before he did he stopped quickly at the front desk and in a iconic Hart smile said to the hotel manager "well does McGovern have your vote today?", the man looked up from his newspaper only to point back to a filing cabinet with a big Nixon magnet on it before turning back to Hart giving his own wry smile. Hart's smile dropped but in his mind it didn't bother him "I've gotten worse responses to this question before."

Later that day Hart was sitting down in his office inside the McGovern HQ. Boxes of flyers and signs stacked up to the ceiling, staff taking calls from across the country in coordination with the campaign, the occasional campaign recruit who came down from SDSU to help out (more often than not smelling of weed). It was for Hart to gauge if this day was anymore busy or hectic than any other day in the last 20 months. The whole office went quiet however as McGovern stepped in with his wife Eleanor in tow, they both just came back from voting. McGovern walked to the front of the room with a drawing board behind him with written on it the estimated results from every credited news station. McGovern looked it up and down not one estimate put him anywhere near 270. He turned back to the room filled with people staring at him before speaking he looked over and saw Hart standing in the doorway of his office. "Today is the day..... I just want you all to know how much you matter to both me, Eleanor, the kids... we appreciate the long hours of work over so many months of this campaign. For everyone's sake disregard the polls for one minute and just reflect on what history we've already accomplished. As I look through this room I see the leaders of tomorrow, never be ashamed or humiliated by being on this amazing ride we've been on. Thank You....." The room paused in silence for a moment before Hart began the encore of clapping and cheering. McGovern then humbly retired to his office room alongside Eleanor. Hart was about ready to go in and share a few words with McGovern before he heard the phone in his office start to ring.

As he picked up his phone he immediately knew who it was. It was Lee, almost 20 years into marriage his heart still jumped at the sound of her voice. Their conversation short compared to many of his calls in the last few weeks, it was however the most valuable to Hart. Hart could confidentially admit to her that he was somewhat glad it was nearly over he missed her company over the last 4 months. She was at home in Colorado with the kids he would lie if he didn't wish he was there right then but didn't tell her that. Lee was truthfully proud of him he was a thirty something year old man from nowhere Kansas and was able to run a national campaign for the presidency without the strings of corrupted party bosses and the such. "I took the kids to school and then went immediately to vote and don't worry I delivered your absentee ballot", said Lee. "Thanks.... hopefully I can make it back before Friday if the weather permits." The two exchanged "I love you's" before Hart hung up and walked over to McGovern's office he knocked before entering to find McGovern and Eleanor conducting a short prayer, Hart respectfully waited in the doorway. A moment later McGovern signaled to Hart the he was allowed to enter and so he did. Hart told McGovern that he was going to go down to the local KELO-TV news station and get a scoop on the projected turnout across the state. Before leaving McGovern asked Hart to sit down and told Elanor if she could clear the room. "Have you spoken with your wife recently by any chance Gary", said McGovern. "I actually just got off the phone with her", said Hart. "That's good, she should be kept in the loop of how you feel as this whole thing winds down." Hart paused for a second before telling McGovern, "Listen I want you to know that this hasn't been a complete shitshow I believe this campaign has resulted in real positive change we've inspired an entire generation to become politically involved, to question corrupted government, to stand brave in front of mobs of secret police, to believe in the power of change". McGovern gave a humble smile of appreciation before looking down towards his desk. As Hart stood up to leave the room as he grabbed the door knob McGovern said one final thing "I'm glad that you walk away more confident than many would in your position".

A few hours later Hart was sitting down inside the KELO-TV news station in one of their situation rooms watching the televisions which were broadcasting local news of voters heading to the polls. On another screen was a CBS special report on Vietnam just wrapping up with the war correspondent discussing recent Vietcong attacks across the south despite ongoing peace talks. The report ended just to immediately transition towards Washington with the sight of Nixon waiving to crowds with a big smile on his face before voting. Hart's face turned sour at the sight of Nixon this disdain was only broken up by an intern at the news station who was a McGovern support came over with a cup of coffee for Hart, who graciously accepted it. The two talked for a few minutes about a variety of topic but mainly the election that day. He excused himself to make a call back to the campaign HQ to tell an pollster some of the early projections from the news station. "Our best guess right now is somewhere between 45-47% in the state as a whole but what scares me we're not even above 50% in this county!" For the rest of the afternoon Hart was on the phone with staff across the country from Boston to Seattle, Detroit to Houston. Little good news, too much bad. Before he left the station around 5 P.M. he had a bite to eat with the meteorologist an apparent Independent but voted twice for Ike, not bad company just not the one to seek a vote. Hart headed back to the campaign HQ just as the polls closed on the east coast and bunkered in with other staff members. Over the next three hours he made only three calls across the country a hopeful one in Boston, a hopeful one in Wisconsin, and a hopeless one in New York. As the votes were tallied across America and the election maps on TV filled up with a bright Republican Blue it was very clear this election was in a tailspin many miles away from the landing strip that never seemed reachable.

That evening after McGovern delivered his concession speech and a disgruntled campaign staff, Hart included watched inside their bunker Nixon's victory speech. Gary Hart returned to his hotel room for one last night in Sioux Falls. As he got to his room he found a note on his door from the hotel manager it read,
"Politics is a ugly game, my pappy once ran for county clerk lost and never forgave himself on how much time he wasted. You're in a lucky position to leave and find a nice job to occupy not only your time but the time of your family." Hart couldn't help but somewhat agree. But did have a moment of pause asking himself "has he been tapping my calls here?". As he sat down on his bed his hotel room phone began ringing, he picked it up. "I had to call in advance to make sure I got the right room", said Lee. Hart laughed but was secretly crying, he didn't cry when the election was called for Nixon, he didn't when he shook McGovern's hand one last time before leaving the HQ, but now when it was all said and done he was tired and beaten down. He regained his composure, "When I took this job I felt like I was on a mission to change history now I want nothing more than to return... to get out of here." Lee waited for a moment before telling Hart, "You did make history, just as I said earlier you have the power and pride to weather this storm. Our world isn't ending and our history isn't finished because of this election you're a great and loving man Gary that's why I married you." "Thank you, I'll see you in a few days... love you", said Hart. He hung up the phone and got ready for bed as he laid down on his bed he thought over what his wife had told him and then the letter which was sitting on the night stand. The next morning around 8 A.M. the manager of the hotel came out to the front desk to find the same letter he had wrote last night to Hart inside was the money for his final night in his room but there was also an response letter inside on the other page. "Thank you but I'm Gary Hart and I'm a politician till the day I die."

America Needs A Hart
View attachment 889382

A Gary Hart Story

Prologue

The sun rises on a cold morning in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It’s election day in America however little that fact resonates on many in the country. Most Americans have their minds set on what’s happening thousands of miles away in Vietnam. It’s the single event seemingly to never fall out of public interest especially compared to this election. 22 months ago George McGovern the Democratic Senator of South Dakota made a longshot and seemingly hopeless run for the nomination. Defying the norms of the institutions of the party he led a surprisingly successful coalition of anti-war youths, progressives, and Hollywood celebrities all the way to the nomination in Miami. It would be a happy story with a happy conclusion if it wasn’t currently Tuesday November 7th, 1972, by the most liberal margins McGovern was going to get trounced big time. His campaign, although successful at rallying young voters and progressives failed to wean away independents, moderates, any conservatives at all, and probably 1/3rd of his own party. A good question would be how did this happen? McGovern wasn’t, NO he couldn’t be the worst candidate for President in history! The person who could answer this question was coincidentally just waking up as much as he desired to bury his head back into his pillow; he wasn't set on giving up just yet even on the last day of his current job.

Gary Hart wakes up from a short night of sleep in his Sioux Fall hotel room he's occupied on and off over the last week of McGovern's campaign. Poetically McGovern is content regardless of the outcome to end his candidacy at home instead of making any last appearances in New York or elsewhere. Hart himself isn't entirely upset with this arrangement but wishes he could get McGovern more media attention than him just being at home. As Hart gets dressed and goes down to the hotel's coffee maker he thinks about some big mistakes he wishes he had corrected. "Perhaps George shot himself in the foot too much on policies, maybe he should've reached out to more unions instead of weed dens, we should've given Eagleton a better gut check." With a fresh cup of coffee in one hand and his car keys in the other he was about to set out to his car to go over to the campaign HQ in the city. Before he did he stopped quickly at the front desk and in a iconic Hart smile said to the hotel manager "well does McGovern have your vote today?", the man looked up from his newspaper only to point back to a filing cabinet with a big Nixon magnet on it before turning back to Hart giving his own wry smile. Hart's smile dropped but in his mind it didn't bother him "I've gotten worse responses to this question before."

Later that day Hart was sitting down in his office inside the McGovern HQ. Boxes of flyers and signs stacked up to the ceiling, staff taking calls from across the country in coordination with the campaign, the occasional campaign recruit who came down from SDSU to help out (more often than not smelling of weed). It was for Hart to gauge if this day was anymore busy or hectic than any other day in the last 20 months. The whole office went quiet however as McGovern stepped in with his wife Eleanor in tow, they both just came back from voting. McGovern walked to the front of the room with a drawing board behind him with written on it the estimated results from every credited news station. McGovern looked it up and down not one estimate put him anywhere near 270. He turned back to the room filled with people staring at him before speaking he looked over and saw Hart standing in the doorway of his office. "Today is the day..... I just want you all to know how much you matter to both me, Eleanor, the kids... we appreciate the long hours of work over so many months of this campaign. For everyone's sake disregard the polls for one minute and just reflect on what history we've already accomplished. As I look through this room I see the leaders of tomorrow, never be ashamed or humiliated by being on this amazing ride we've been on. Thank You....." The room paused in silence for a moment before Hart began the encore of clapping and cheering. McGovern then humbly retired to his office room alongside Eleanor. Hart was about ready to go in and share a few words with McGovern before he heard the phone in his office start to ring.

As he picked up his phone he immediately knew who it was. It was Lee, almost 20 years into marriage his heart still jumped at the sound of her voice. Their conversation short compared to many of his calls in the last few weeks, it was however the most valuable to Hart. Hart could confidentially admit to her that he was somewhat glad it was nearly over he missed her company over the last 4 months. She was at home in Colorado with the kids he would lie if he didn't wish he was there right then but didn't tell her that. Lee was truthfully proud of him he was a thirty something year old man from nowhere Kansas and was able to run a national campaign for the presidency without the strings of corrupted party bosses and the such. "I took the kids to school and then went immediately to vote and don't worry I delivered your absentee ballot", said Lee. "Thanks.... hopefully I can make it back before Friday if the weather permits." The two exchanged "I love you's" before Hart hung up and walked over to McGovern's office he knocked before entering to find McGovern and Eleanor conducting a short prayer, Hart respectfully waited in the doorway. A moment later McGovern signaled to Hart the he was allowed to enter and so he did. Hart told McGovern that he was going to go down to the local KELO-TV news station and get a scoop on the projected turnout across the state. Before leaving McGovern asked Hart to sit down and told Elanor if she could clear the room. "Have you spoken with your wife recently by any chance Gary", said McGovern. "I actually just got off the phone with her", said Hart. "That's good, she should be kept in the loop of how you feel as this whole thing winds down." Hart paused for a second before telling McGovern, "Listen I want you to know that this hasn't been a complete shitshow I believe this campaign has resulted in real positive change we've inspired an entire generation to become politically involved, to question corrupted government, to stand brave in front of mobs of secret police, to believe in the power of change". McGovern gave a humble smile of appreciation before looking down towards his desk. As Hart stood up to leave the room as he grabbed the door knob McGovern said one final thing "I'm glad that you walk away more confident than many would in your position".

A few hours later Hart was sitting down inside the KELO-TV news station in one of their situation rooms watching the televisions which were broadcasting local news of voters heading to the polls. On another screen was a CBS special report on Vietnam just wrapping up with the war correspondent discussing recent Vietcong attacks across the south despite ongoing peace talks. The report ended just to immediately transition towards Washington with the sight of Nixon waiving to crowds with a big smile on his face before voting. Hart's face turned sour at the sight of Nixon this disdain was only broken up by an intern at the news station who was a McGovern support came over with a cup of coffee for Hart, who graciously accepted it. The two talked for a few minutes about a variety of topic but mainly the election that day. He excused himself to make a call back to the campaign HQ to tell an pollster some of the early projections from the news station. "Our best guess right now is somewhere between 45-47% in the state as a whole but what scares me we're not even above 50% in this county!" For the rest of the afternoon Hart was on the phone with staff across the country from Boston to Seattle, Detroit to Houston. Little good news, too much bad. Before he left the station around 5 P.M. he had a bite to eat with the meteorologist an apparent Independent but voted twice for Ike, not bad company just not the one to seek a vote. Hart headed back to the campaign HQ just as the polls closed on the east coast and bunkered in with other staff members. Over the next three hours he made only three calls across the country a hopeful one in Boston, a hopeful one in Wisconsin, and a hopeless one in New York. As the votes were tallied across America and the election maps on TV filled up with a bright Republican Blue it was very clear this election was in a tailspin many miles away from the landing strip that never seemed reachable.

That evening after McGovern delivered his concession speech and a disgruntled campaign staff, Hart included watched inside their bunker Nixon's victory speech. Gary Hart returned to his hotel room for one last night in Sioux Falls. As he got to his room he found a note on his door from the hotel manager it read,
"Politics is a ugly game, my pappy once ran for county clerk lost and never forgave himself on how much time he wasted. You're in a lucky position to leave and find a nice job to occupy not only your time but the time of your family." Hart couldn't help but somewhat agree. But did have a moment of pause asking himself "has he been tapping my calls here?". As he sat down on his bed his hotel room phone began ringing, he picked it up. "I had to call in advance to make sure I got the right room", said Lee. Hart laughed but was secretly crying, he didn't cry when the election was called for Nixon, he didn't when he shook McGovern's hand one last time before leaving the HQ, but now when it was all said and done he was tired and beaten down. He regained his composure, "When I took this job I felt like I was on a mission to change history now I want nothing more than to return... to get out of here." Lee waited for a moment before telling Hart, "You did make history, just as I said earlier you have the power and pride to weather this storm. Our world isn't ending and our history isn't finished because of this election you're a great and loving man Gary that's why I married you." "Thank you, I'll see you in a few days... love you", said Hart. He hung up the phone and got ready for bed as he laid down on his bed he thought over what his wife had told him and then the letter which was sitting on the night stand. The next morning around 8 A.M. the manager of the hotel came out to the front desk to find the same letter he had wrote last night to Hart inside was the money for his final night in his room but there was also an response letter inside on the other page. "Thank you but I'm Gary Hart and I'm a politician till the day I die."
It’s kind of an interesting decision to start all the way back during the 1972 campaign. I wonder how this will lead into a different Gary Hart campaign? Will he win the nomination in 1984 instead? Regardless nicely written start.

Very interesting! Hart is an underused figure I’d say. Hopefully he’ll make it far here
As the votes were tallied across America and the election maps on TV filled up with a bright Republican Blue it was very clear this election was in a tailspin many miles away from the landing strip that never seemed reachable.
Is this a mistake, or had the color system not been set yet? In any case, it’s always bothered me that Republicans are red while Democrats are blue when in most other countries the more socialist parties are red. Hopefully America gets it right here heh

Is this a mistake, or had the color system not been set yet? In any case, it’s always bothered me that Republicans are red while Democrats are blue when in most other countries the more socialist parties are red. Hopefully America gets it right here heh
Before 2000 the election night colors differed by year or which channel was broadcasting the election. But during 72 Nixon appeared Blue on the map and McGovern was Red. It wasn't until Bush v. Gore that the colors became completely synonymous to each respective party. As half a German I'm very aware of their politics so yes in Europe left parties are red and right parties are blue. Thanks!

Before 2000 the election night colors differed by year or which channel was broadcasting the election. But during 72 Nixon appeared Blue on the map and McGovern was Red. It wasn't until Bush v. Gore that the colors became completely synonymous to each respective party. As half a German I'm very aware of their politics so yes in Europe left parties are red and right parties are blue. Thanks!
Ahh I see! Hopefully it ends up the right way ttl then, even if by accident hahah :)

Chapter I
73-912.tif.jpg

Chapter I: The Mourning Donkeys

It was late December in Colorado, the Hart family after being months separated celebrated a well earned Christmas together. The following morning as Hart sat at his kitchen table drinking his coffee before getting Andrea and John ready for school he got a call. He picked up his phone and on the other line was Former Nebraska Governor Frank Morrison, Hart remembered Morrison immediately as he helped McGovern during the Nebraska primary that spring. "Hey kid, did you hear the bad news?", said Morrison. "No, Governor what's wrong", said Hart. "President Truman passed". "That's sad to hear, I guess he'll be laid out in Washington". "Actually they're talking that he want's to have a private service and maybe a memorial service later in Washington". "Well thanks Governor", said Hart before hanging up. Hart sat back down at his table and before picking up the newspaper he paused for a moment to think while biting his nails.

One week later Gary Hart and his wife Lee were standing outside the Washington National Cathedral. As funeral goers piled out of the cathedral, Hart's appearance caught the attention of someone in particular. Senator Hubert Humphrey was walking down the steps of the cathedral when the tall and young Hart captured his attention. Humphrey walked over to Hart and waived his finger at him, "aren't you that kid that ran around for McGovern in Miami?". Hart broke into a chuckle and replied with a nod. "I wrote you maybe 3 different letter this year to even acknowledge McGovern's existence", said Hart. "And you must've written 500 for Ted Kennedy I bet", said Humphrey. Hart once again laughed and then Humphrey offered him a proposition. "I'm heading back to Capitol Hill to partake in a wake with some of the other Senators, care to join?". Hart looked over to Lee who obliged, then agreed to Humphrey's offer.

Hart stood inside the Capitol Building with his arm locked with Lee starring up at the rotunda before Humphrey walked up behind him gesturing him to follow down the hallway towards the Senate offices. The group found themselves within the office of Mike Mansfield where they found a plethora of Former Senators, Congressmen, staff, and a few current Senators lounging around and drinking. Hart eventually found himself in the back of the office sitting with Lee as a sort of a fly on the wall witnessing Senators especially the older one talk all about President Truman. This was before Humphrey gestured for Hart to cross the room and meet Senator Mansfield. The two shook hands and Mansfield had something to say to Hart. "I hope you don't personally blame yourself son, I'm no fan of Nixon but they don't call him Tricky Dick for nothing". Hart sat down and told Mansfield he came to Washington hoping to talk to people just like him. "This year I got a taste of winning and losing in this sport, I want more I.... want to get in the ring for myself". Mansfield and Humphrey looked at each other for a moment.

Just before Mansfield spoke up a voice from behind Hart interjected. "Hey Mike!" Hart looked up behind him it was Senator Birch Bayh. He reached over and shook both Mansfield's and Humphrey's hands before noticing Hart sitting there. "I don't believe we've met Mr.?" "Hart... Gary Hart". As Bayh shook Hart's hand Mansfield whispered to him "McGovern". "Oh yeah Hart, I would lie if I hadn't heard from Teddy about all those letters he got". Hart laughed but clearly was tired of the campaign conversation. "Listen kid leave your number with my secretary on the way out and I'll get back to in lets say about a year, sounds good?". Hart was left slacked jawed but he knew why he was being treated this way, he paid it no more time before formally saying his goodbyes. Hart immediately grabbed Lee who was talking with some of the Mansfield staff and made a run for the office's door. He didn't leave his number with the secretary. Mansfield began sipping on his brandy before Humphrey leaned over and asked him about Hart. "I don't know, hopefully he's less of a McGovernite and more... more.... like that poor kid down in Delaware".

On the taxi ride down to Dulles International Airport, Hart began to talk with Lee about his conversation with the Senators. "I know why they consider me this way, I'm part of that puzzle that prevent half of them from having a go at the President". "If any of them won the nomination they would've listened to the bosses here and there on what to say and when". "You need to let this past you, and look at me..... you have the intelligence, brawn, and heart to be better than all of them", said Lee. While sitting inside the terminal of the airport waiting for their plane to board, Hart looks up at one of the televisions on the ceilings. The news is showing a report on the earlier memorial services it specifically stops on President Nixon entering the cathedral smiling to the cameras and reporters in the distance yelling something "gate" in his direction. Hart stares deeply into Nixon's eyes with that annoying Tricky Dick smile from ear to ear. Hart is so engaged, Lee has to snap to wake him up to let him know their flight is boarding. Hart grabs his luggage and before leaving takes one last glance at the President in the television and says to himself, "Never again".

Chapter II
1709002619347.png

Chapter II: The Marble Palace for Crooks

A few months after Hart's visit to Washington he was back in Colorado trying to live as normal of a life he could for the moment. One evening Hart was sitting down in front of the television with his wife Lee when the news came on the screen giving a special report on the ongoing investigation into Vice President Spiro Agnew over suspicion of criminal conspiracy, bribery, extortion, and tax fraud. It was moments just like this that made Hart think back to the campaign, of course Nixon himself was enough of a lightning rod to call corrupt or dirty but Agnew, don't get Gary started. Agnew was both a trickster and a pitbull, Nixon was comparatively moderate it was his Vice President who got down in the mud. At this same time Watergate was also well underway with the Congress listening to witnesses and holding their investigations. From Colorado, Hart calculated to keep investigators mostly away from the McGovern camp of course he had no connection or culpability for what happened but Federal Investigators wanted any and all information possible.

Not long after this Hart sat down with Lee one afternoon as the kids where at school and decided with her blessing that he would run for the Senate in 74'. Personally Hart's decision came as a direct result of his belief that whatever happened in 72' couldn't prevent himself from pursuing a further political career. In terms of politics as much as Nixon won the White House in 1972 his Presidency had detrimental effects of race down ballot. Democrats had won in every other level the Senate, House, Governors, even local races across America leaned Democrat. If Nixon's Presidency runs through to 1977, Democrats could continue this trend especially if his Presidency becomes more about investigations than actual policies. Hart knew it was time to take action or be left on the sidelines, he wanted to follow what McGovern had told him a year before and dictate his own future and especially the future of America.

That October Hart witnessed two more important events. He was in his living room attending paperwork and looking over early drafts of campaign flyers with Lee when the television once again reported on breaking news. Vice President Agnew had resigned following pleading no contest to a felony charge of tax evasion in Maryland. His resignation was formally accepted by President Nixon who shed some words of agreement believing that resignation was preferable to avoid a lengthy period of division and uncertainty. Hart for himself thought not much of it, he knew Agnew was corrupt and that he finally was found liable. In the days that followed Hart's mind again drifted back to family life spending the weekend with his family going down to Colorado Springs. On the evening of the 20th, he was driving home with Lee from the movies discussing his birthday next month when the radio caught Hart's attention. United States Attorney General Elliot Richardson had resigned following an attempt by Nixon to get Richardson to fire Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox. Just like many other Americans, Hart believed that Nixon had played his cards in a desperate attempt to shut down the Watergate Investigation that was quickly getting closer to the Presidency.

On October 13th Hart was in Denver talking with Democratic State Senators and Representatives about his potential candidacy. After their meetings Hart was leaving the State Capitol Building and entered his car when the radio caught his attention again. "In Washington today, President Nixon has nominated former Texas Governor and Treasury Secretary John Connally to the Vice Presidency to fill the vacancy left by Spiro Agnew". Hart turned off the radio in slight disgust. He thought once again back to the campaign when Connally first made headlines by flipping and becoming a Nixon supporter. He laid his head down on the steering wheel thinking to himself, "Connally is a heartbeat from the Oval". It was still a long road until that would happen but Hart was fairly convinced the Washington machine wouldn't prevent this outcome. By that December Hart's worries came to pass Connally partially due to Conservative Democrats was approved by the House and later Senate. That same day Hart received a phone call it was Bob Bullock a Texas Democrat. Hart knew Bullock through McGovern's campaign in Texas as Bullock was a prominent supporter for the campaign within the state. "Terrible day.... very sad for this country", said Bullock. "I'm not happy about this either to me Connally reaching this position under this President is the worst outcome possible", said Hart. Before their conversation ended Bullock brought up his keen interest in Hart's political future. Bullock although he only met Hart on two occasions back in 72' could admit to Hart that he believed that he had the perfect traits of a politician.

Two weeks later Hart in an open letter in the Denver Post announces his run for the United States Senate in Colorado. "My candidacy is based off of a desire to give Colorado a Senator who will represent them but also fight for their interests. Incumbent Senator Peter Dominick leaves too many questions unanswered why now in the midst of a crisis of character in Washington does he still fall behind President Nixon. I intend to run a grassroots campaign reaching out to all Coloradans seeking new rejuvenated representation in the Senate. I Gary Hart want to be your next Senator, join me on bringing a fresh face to Washington!".

Chapter III
1709242331349.png

Chapter III: Hartland
As the holidays of 1973 came and passed, Gary Hart was well underway in his campaign for the Senate. He had relatively minimal opposition former State Senator Herrick Roth was the frontrunner with District Attorney Marty Miller in third place. Hart had less experience than the two men especially Roth who although out of the State Senate sill upheld strong connections and was building connections across the state and even back to D.C. However Hart had the most desirable traits like youth, charisma, and connections around the country. Naturally Hart had the support of many young Democrats across Colorado no more so than in the College counties, people as far back as 72' had personally nothing bad to say about him even when he had to force charm upon himself, Hart still maintained a rolodex of people across the country that could either help him campaign or make inroads with Washington if he won the nomination.

Over the next several months Hart makes the rounds across the state going from state colleges, to farms, to factories, to union halls, and everything in between. As every week passed Hart grew his name and his support statewide. Especially as the nation focused their attention heavily upon the ongoing Watergate investigations, Democrats looked to Hart not some much as a victim of Nixon's corruption but someone who deserve poetic justice. Nationally Hart flexed support from those who he met in the McGovern camp. Naturally those like Bob Bullock, Frank Morrison, and Frances Farenthold came out early for Hart as they were supporters of McGovern who came to know Hart. However Hart gained support of his own, freshman Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder of Colorado's 1st District. Around late March, Hart's campaign staff reached out to Schroeder's office in Washington looking for her support. Hart and Schroeder decided to meet in Ottawa, Kansas Hart's hometown. Hart decided to take a few days back in his hometown to show support for his sister-in-law Martha Keys who was running for the House in District 2. In subsequent years, Schroeder would retell the story of how she met Hart at his parent's home. Hart left an impression as he looked over his father's old farming equipment in the garage that he cared deeply for not only America but it's people too. Hart talked with Schroeder about various issues, Watergate, Healthcare, Eldercare, Farming, Unions, Education, and Women's Issues.

Schroeder would eventually endorse Hart being the highest statewide Democrat to endorse a candidate to that point. In a speech not long later Hart reiterated her support by saying, "Me and Congresswoman Pat share common ideals and hopes for our nation but more so we desire to represent and fight for the people of our state in Washington in these uncertain times.". By August just after a good showing in a candidate forum in Denver, Hart returned home he concluded with the Primary election just a few weeks away and him finally leading he sat down to write his acceptance speech. He desired to write down practically his whole life story but taking the advice from Lee decided to keep it precise. At this time the whole nation stood still as President Nixon finally met his end. After irrefutable evidence emerged tying Nixon and his cronies to the Watergate break-in, he was left with no other out. August 9th, 1973 Richard M. Nixon resigned the Presidency elevating John Connolly to the Presidency. In Colorado Hart looked on tied to his television when not preoccupied with his campaign, vindication and essentially vengeance. What baffled Hart next was the speech given by President Connolly. The new President came off as both disgruntled over what had happened to Nixon seeing him being swindled by House Republicans but at the same time looked too gleeful to becoming the President. "Power has been barely bestowed upon him and it's already rushed to his head", Lee would say to Hart that evening.

On September 10th, Hart achieved his victory winning the Democratic Primary by over 14k votes. At his campaign HQ just outside Denver he went out with his hand locked with Lee's to a raucous crowd. "Today the people of Colorado have entrusted in me to go to Washington to give both fresh and effective leadership, across this state and America people are wanting their leaders to provide them the leadership to answers their needs and serve them with respect". The following morning Hart at his home received numerous calls from relatives, friends, local and statewide politicians but just after the calls died down he received one last one it was Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine. "Hello Mr. Hart", said Muskie. "Hello?", said Hart. A moment passed before Muskie responded, "Listen it's Senator Muskie, I want to congratulate you on your victory". Hart thanked Muskie before the Senator got to the point of his phone call. "I wanted to let you know personally that we'd like to help finance the campaign from here on out. This isn't just coming from me. Your campaign has really hit home here in the Capitol. This isn't just coming from me the whole leadership are very impressed by this campaign, personally from me you have a promising future.". Hart was amicable to the words coming from Muskie however he had to mute his feelings towards those like Mansfield over his last visit to D.C. Still Hart accepted Muskie's offer and thanked Muskie before hanging up. As Hart leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes, all he could see was two faces his mother's and his father's the memory of them no longer hurt as he felt their pride from beyond. This was only interrupted by Lee who walked up from behind him and put her arms around him. The sleepless nights would surely only grow longer from here on out but deep down he knew it would be worth it in the end.

Chapter IV
5-1987-then-sen-peter-and-dominick-and-gary-hart-during-debate-in-1974-credit-the-denver-post.jpg

Chapter IV: Then and Now
In the fall of 1974 Gary Hart was the Democratic Nominee for Senate in Colorado. Two years after being an unknown outsider to politics he was quickly moving his career forward. As for the country things were still very murky. Public trust in government was the lowest in recent memory and an unpopular unelected President presided over a corrupted system inherited by possible the most corrupt President in history. The economy and financial sector was also looking bad with unemployment and high interest rates rising. During this period President Connally who himself was appointed Vice President announced his choice of Senator Bill Brock of Tennessee to become his Vice President. While this was going on the President was also hosting investigators at the White House asking him for up to several hours about Watergate and Nixon's final months in office. Connally would indulge the investigators and maintain a calm stance but privately hated the shadow Watergate left on his own Presidency.

Democrats were making inroads into independent and even Republicans wanting to turn the page on the Nixon years and send Republicans across the country packing. Even Hart who many in the establishment worried he was a "McGovernite" turned the other cheek as he showed himself to be a sensible 'moderate' solution to Coloradans. In his case Hart would make himself and his policies well know as a few forums and debates were held as the election got closer. A highlight of these debates came on October 30th, when Incumbent Senator Peter Dominick was asked about Watergate. "I do believe that President Nixon acted in bad faith and ultimately broke the law, however the break in is pretty insignificant to the public". Hart would respond to Dominick's statement with his own, "The Senator's statement is very... truly undermining of where the public stands today. Our government lacks faith in the public which is a result of the Nixon administration the Senator does no justice for them by ignoring the problem". It didn't help Dominick that at this period he was visibly sickly in what would later be diagnosed as multiple sclerosis this image compared poorly next to the young, tout, and energetic Hart.

On November 5th, 1974 within a wave of Democrats winning nationwide, Gary Hart defeated Incumbent Senator Dominick by over 100,000 votes. In his victory speech with his family by his side he delivers a speech thanking the voters of Colorado letting them know that he was ready to go to Washington and fight for them. The calls into Hart HQ tripled the amount he received when he won the primaries. Even Mansfield left a message thanking the young Senator finally respecting him with the name "Senator-elect". However most calls weren't as important as the last. Hart was about to leave his party's HQ with his wife and kids before a staff member told him he had a call in his office. Hart gave Lee his keys and went into his office to take the call. He sat down at his desk and picked up the phone. "Hello?", said Hart. "Hey Gary!", said George McGovern. Hart knew that eventually McGovern would talk with him but was happy to hear from him so soon. The two men talked for a few minutes it was jovial the two would be colleagues in the Senate come January next year. Hart was especially grateful of McGovern's words, "I hope you're ready kid the next few years are shaping up to being pretty bad, but hopefully not for us right?". Before hanging up Hart left McGovern by saying "I think me and Lee might be able to come around as soon as December to get things ready in Washington, and I think it would mean a lot if you can be present when I'm sworn in?" "How could I miss it?, ha ha ha", said McGovern before hanging up. That evening when all the partying and festivities concluded Mr. and Mrs. Hart laid down in their bed at home just before going to bed Hart gave himself a prayer asking that God would give him the power to serve in the Senate for the people of Colorado.

Throughout December Hart tried his best to enjoy time with family taking a vacation to Colorado Spring and spending quality time with Lee. However when December progressed he also coordinated with his Senatorial staff to be in moving into his office in Washington. As this was going on the Senate then the House confirmed Bill Brock to the Vice Presidency by fair margins. Outside of this the President in private began to cull his cabinet of "Nixon men" on reserving those like Kissinger and William Simon. However he publicly revealed he was mulling on bringing back those like former UN Ambassador George H.W. Bush, saying to reporter "From the time I knew him as Ambassador he was the best man for that job at the time and he has a future one way or another.".

Chapter V
1710024099638.png

Chapter V: Mr. Hart goes to Washington
On a sunny January morning in Washington the 94th Congress begins their term. With that hundreds of Congressmen and a few dozen Senators take their oaths of office. Among them is Gary Hart who with his wife Lee his children John and Andrea and other friends and family in attendance he raises his right hand. Standing besides him is other freshmen Senators Dale Bumpers and the Astronaut John Glenn, Hart had less experience than the two men but through his own accomplishments made it to the same place and time. After he was sworn in and went around the Senate chamber shaking hands with both Democrats and like-minded Republicans he took Lee and his kids to tour the Capitol. As his children occupied themselves by looking over the statues, busts, and displays across the building Hart and Lee spent a while talking with other Senators and their spouses who came that day. That afternoon Hart arrived at his Senate office and gave his goodbyes to his family before they departed swearing to Lee he would call as soon as she got back home.

Several days later Hart among other Senators were in attendance to the 1975 State of the Union Address. Where President John Connally delivered his first STOUS to which his speech tried to pull support from both sides. "Today America's issues require a united and bipartisan response. The people of both Texas and New York suffer from the same issues any other America does unemployment, crime, energy issues, and overall lack of faith in government". "Our country must move forward but cannot move forward if ununited, bipartisanship and the doctrine of love thy neighbor are paramount to tackle the crisis of today in order to save tomorrow". The speech which was overall inoffensive and liked by Republican and Democratic Conservatives alike failed to hit the mark for most Liberals. Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota and the Speaker of the House Carl Albert of Oklahoma delivered the Democratic response.

Just days after this Hart would come to find that following a vote to establish the Church Committee a committee to investigate several government intelligence and security agencies in the aftermath of Watergate that he'd be a member of said committee. Within the following day Hart was within Frank Church's office talking with the other Democrat who would be members of the committee. In particular Hart struck up a conversation with Senators Huddleston and Philip Hart of Michigan. 'Hart the Younger' as he would be nicknamed as the committee conducted their business behind the scenes held high regards for Philip Hart and would spend most of his time discussing the ongoing Connally shakeup of his cabinet. Huddleston was slightly different him and Hart were the youngest of the Senators on the committee and were both the shortest tenured ones as well. That evening as Hart left the Capitol building he entered his taxi and asked the driver to turn up the radio. "This is an NBC special report...... in Washington today massive shakeups in the Connally administration concluded with Attorney General William Saxbe and Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz out of jobs.". A few hours later the Washington Post would leak that Connally was going to appoint Gordon Allot a Former Senator from Colorado to Attorney General to which this news bothered both Hart and his colleague Floyd Haskell to no end.

Around this time Hart was basically living at the Canal Building, after a particularly long day at work he arrived to his room around midnight loosened his tie and laid down on his bed and dose off to SNL. However that night Hart had trouble sleeping his mind kept drifting to images of wire tapping, spy cameras, corrupted officials, and shady bureaucrats. He had thrown himself into work tediously reading over documents reporting of intelligence agencies abusing their powers during the Nixon administration. Personally Hart felt highly upset over the information he was receiving as McGovern's campaign manager he pushed the campaign to appeal to all Americans to question the Nixon administration to which they didn't listen and now America was worse off for it. After a long night Hart returned to the capitol the following day and during a breakfast meeting with the Democratic caucus he was approached by Senator Mondale. "Gary come with me", said Mondale to which Hart complied. The two men walked out of the hall and went up the stairs at the end of the hallway and entered the office of John Tower. Inside there were several Senators in there all huddled around the television in Tower's office. "Former Attorney General John N. Mitchell, and former White House aides H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman were sentenced today to serve prison terms in response to their involvement in the Watergate break-in of 1972". Hart looked on just as Senator Goldwater who was cleaning his glasses just in front of the television said, "I always thought Mitchell was a smart man maybe he should've defended himself", a few Senators chuckled as the news report carried on. Hart turned away from the television to see Senators Tower and Church talking together in an adjacent office room. Undoubtably Haldeman would be of some interest to the committee but his conviction might put him beyond their reach now. As Hart left the room a both Democrat and Republican Senator entered the room talking to each other the Republican suggested that Mitchell might be the highest convicted as the Democrat responded with something around the lines of "listen Jack!, Nixon will see his day believe me".