America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

That would likely be covered in NBH though it would be expanded on more in the 1990s since that's when computers really took off. But yeah, I imagine technologies to allow the blind to use computers would be pretty big priority when computers really hit the mainstream.
How was education under Udall btw?

How was education under Udall btw?
Mainly creating Department of Education, create programs for financial assistance of medical students and law students in college so they're not burdened by debt. Beyond that, not sure of some of the other stuff. Probably some other improvements here or there with pay. Probably laying some groudnworks for Askew.

This probably isn’t important enough to do an update on but I’d love to see one on the Dixiecrats and the state of the Democratic Party in the south

This probably isn’t important enough to do an update on but I’d love to see one on the Dixiecrats and the state of the Democratic Party in the south
Well, given how Reuben Askew and Jimmy Carter are on the federal power, it's basically the next wave of New South politicians, aligned mainly with Democrats, but some in Liberal Republicans as well. So they are growing popularity there thanks to various reforms and federal branch giving a hand to organizations to reach out there regarding SATMIN+ equality, though more needs to be done... and more is common.

Will there be any prominent fictional people in this timeline born after the point of divergence? Will we see progressive Democrats like Paul Wellstone, Howard Dean, Jerry Brown, Russ Feingold, and Bernie Sanders become a lot more popular in this timeline? Will Texas Congressman Mickey Leland (who succeeded Barbara Jordan in Congress in 1979) survive his 1989 plane crash that killed him in our timeline? Since John B. Anderson became the first Independent candidate to win a state since George Wallace twenty years prior will third-party candidates do better in this timeline? Perhaps Ross Perot's Reform Party will build up steam in this timeline's 1990s. Please don't take these questions as legitimate predictions and assumptions about this timeline I'm just honestly curious.

Will there be any prominent fictional people in this timeline born after the point of divergence? Will we see progressive Democrats like Paul Wellstone, Howard Dean, Jerry Brown, Russ Feingold, and Bernie Sanders become a lot more popular in this timeline? Will Texas Congressman Mickey Leland (who succeeded Barbara Jordan in Congress in 1979) survive his 1989 plane crash that killed him in our timeline? Since John B. Anderson became the first Independent candidate to win a state since George Wallace twenty years prior will third-party candidates do better in this timeline? Perhaps Ross Perot's Reform Party will build up steam in this timeline's 1990s. Please don't take these questions as legitimate predictions and assumptions about this timeline I'm just honestly curious.
Just wait and see ;) That’s the point for the upcoming stuff XD

How will 1980s nostalgia be influenced and affected ITTL?
Well, a good chunk of the music will be still the same so that remains. Beyond that, nostalgia would be even more favorable given it was a time of recovery and big optimism though at the same time, probably not as big if because nostalgia may not be as needed.

It'll be a bit more odd to be sure and I do appreciate more pop culture questions, especially with what's coming.

I wonder if Udall or Askew will do anything to help the coal states adjust to the decline in coal mining
Yeah, likely getting priority for some of the nuclear power developments though also being monitored so certain individuals don't try to embezzle it and whatnot.

Well, a good chunk of the music will be still the same so that remains. Beyond that, nostalgia would be even more favorable given it was a time of recovery and big optimism though at the same time, probably not as big if because nostalgia may not be as needed.

It'll be a bit more odd to be sure and I do appreciate more pop culture questions, especially with what's coming.
I recently watched an episode of the show Inside Job where the main characters end up in a town that’s (due to sci-fi reasons) stuck in the 1980s, both in the good and bad ways, so that’s inspired me to ask you this question, thanks for answering btw.

Would Udall have had any chance at winning the presidency as an Independent in 1980 or was the two-party system too hard to break at that moment in time? Perhaps a plausible way is for an unpopular Democrat (idk maybe Scoop Jackson) to somehow steal the Democratic nomination from Udall and John B. Anderson tries to primary Reagan as Reagan did to Ford in 1976 but narrowly fails but convinces his friend Udall to run as Independent candidate with him as his running mate. Jackson's health problems come up late in the campaign bringing up concerns about whether he would serve a full term (or maybe a different Democratic candidate has a scandal or something idk) and President Reagan is criticized for the economic recession and the Iran Hostage Crisis. Maybe Udall and Anderson would be able to pull an upset victory and bring the two-party system crashing down. I vaguely remember Anderson wanting to form a "National Unity Party" in the 1980s in our timeline but I don't think his plans ever came to fruition. Perhaps Udall and Anderson form that party early on into their presidency should they even get elected. I just want opinions on this hypothetical idea/thought experiment. I don't want to derail the thread but just some thoughts on this idea would be welcomed.

Would Udall have had any chance at winning the presidency as an Independent in 1980 or was the two-party system too hard to break at that moment in time? Perhaps a plausible way is for an unpopular Democrat (idk maybe Scoop Jackson) to somehow steal the Democratic nomination from Udall and John B. Anderson tries to primary Reagan as Reagan did to Ford in 1976 but narrowly fails but convinces his friend Udall to run as Independent candidate with him as his running mate. Jackson's health problems come up late in the campaign bringing up concerns about whether he would serve a full term (or maybe a different Democratic candidate has a scandal or something idk) and President Reagan is criticized for the economic recession and the Iran Hostage Crisis. Maybe Udall and Anderson would be able to pull an upset victory and bring the two-party system crashing down. I vaguely remember Anderson wanting to form a "National Unity Party" in the 1980s in our timeline but I don't think his plans ever came to fruition. Perhaps Udall and Anderson form that party early on into their presidency should they even get elected. I just want opinions on this hypothetical idea/thought experiment. I don't want to derail the thread but just some thoughts on this idea would be welcomed.
Might be better to ask me this through PM and he wouldn't have much of a chance due to the two party systme.

Presidental Reflection: The Udall Administration (1981 - 1989) [Pt. 3]
Presidental Reflection: The Udall Administration (1981 - 1989) [Pt. 3]

mo-udall-5bb5f911-97e0-4b33-a483-5169af9a900-resize-750.jpeg

Photo Source

Foreign Affairs
The Udall Administratio focused primarily on domestic affairs though still maintained a large presence in the world, albeit one of cementing positive relationships while also being more careful on who and how to interact with.

North America
The Udall Administration's new stance on foreign policy benefitted many movements over for America's neighbors down south. Mainly, the Udall Administration pulled back on many of the intrusive actions and decisions of subterfuge regarding the governments. Losing America's backing spelled the end for alot of the autocratic governments over in Central America while the revolutionary movements got a surge of energy from the US pulling back from it. Within the next few years, many if not all of the autocrtic governments held together and backed up by American interests would be beaten back or fall apart in the fact of the peoples' movements. This along with the Udall government's influential stance on how the IMF should deal with the Latin American debt crisis gave MKU alot positive reception over in Mexico and Central America. Even Castro noted to liking him during the few times they talked over during growing peace efforts with the US and Cuba. The growing positive relatins between the US and USSR helped over in Cuba as well. Canada meanwhile found themselves a bit surprised at the large reforms the Americans were pushing over. This was causing a growing number of Canadians to try and begin pushing for some of the same sort of reforms over in Canada. Overall, North America enjoyed increasing positive relations with the United States under the Udall administration, with plans being discussed on further developments in the future.

South America
South America benefitted even more from the Udall Administration's new foreign policy, especially on ending Operation Condor. With the ending of that, the juntas and other autocratic governments found themselves without the support they need, a sign of a rejection of the old ways. The revolutionary forces would then be able to go and take back their nations from the various autocracies and the like. Additionally much like with Central America, assistance with the IMF with the debt crisis helped futher cement positive relationships, especially after some complicated bitterness due to previous administrations' willingness to support corrupt regimes in the name of "fighting communism" over in South America. Argentina, Chile, and many of the other nations would have growing positive relations with the Americans with the overthrow of the various juntas with the governments more representative of the people. Beyond such, arrangements were being made for various trade deals regarding information, especially with the need to expand renewables across the board along with other concerns, such as the new Brazilian government's dealing with the deforestation issue and figure out how to deal with such. Overall, the perception of the United States among the common folk of South America began getting better after the end of Operation Condor thanks to the Udall administration.

Europe
MKU would be remembered quite fondly among the Europeans, with the older generation comparing him to the likes of FDR in terms of what he did for his country and many have noted in many ways, he embodies some of the best of the American Dream. He got along well over with western Europe and in helping further talks of global reforms as well as plans for climate change. From the close connections over with the British to helping Spain after the end of Francoism, they were an overall positive relationship between the Americans and for most of Europe. Additionally, the Udall administration would also arrange on exchange of information to support the other. The biggest point regarding diplomacy however was with the Soviet Union that it was more fascinating. Initially, relations were a bit rough, albeit mainly due to the leaders of the USSR not lasting very long. Eventually though, when Mikhail Gorbachev came into power, relationships between the two superpowers improved splendidly, with it being viewed as a follow-up on detente. The two superpowers under Udall and Gorbachev began coming together to address global problems such as the need to move away from fossil fuels along with a system of assisting the other, such as the Udall Administration assisting the USSR in the computer sciences. Overall, both superpowers have become more cordial over time and tensions is at an all-time low so far. Other Warsaw Pact nations do have a positive opinion on him though not much else is known or seen regarding them.

Middle East
The Middle East would be quite different when MKU entered it, with an Iran that had gone through revolution. However, throughout it all, MKU made steps to go and repair certain relationships along with ensuring the US would not enter any unnecessary conflict. However, the US would still send some aid over to Iran to try and establish some positive relationships with the new adminsitration, with the new Iranian government warming up to the Udall administration, especially after Iran's victory over Iraq, with the result being a new government in Iraq and an independent Kurdistan now. Contrary, the Americans' relationship with Pakistan became cold yet cordial early on. At least until the revelations of the nuclear project sunk that relationship, especially with concerns on Pakistan's belligerent behavior toward their neighbors and the US not wanting to get dragged into further conflict. This has not stopped the Americans from taking in some Pakistani refugees during the war. The US has maintained cordial relations with Afghanistan though along with the others. The large moves Israel and Jordan have made toward resolving the Palestinian issue have been applauded and released some tension though issues remaining on Gaze and Jerusalem remain, with many suspect the Askew administration will be overseeing that.

Asia
Japan and the United States have been experiencing a greater relationship, thanks to Japan's economic boom and the popularity of Japanese pop culture beginning to spread across over to the west, especially the United States. This along with the popualrity of Japanese products such as automobiles over in the United States have contributed alot to this growth between the two nations and the hope remains for dual prosperity for both nations. Meanwhile, the US is trying to help ut South Korea while celeberating the accomplishment of the Philippines with their government. Meanwhile, due to the issues caused by the Reagan adminstration along with prioritizing the domestic issues and economic recovery, the United States and the People's Republic of China have been lagging behind on their communications, which they have been working on right now. However, while the US has been giving some cooperation with the PROC, a bit of skepticism remains, namely due to how the previous reformer was ousted and the hope was that Zhao Ziyang would be able to finish the reforms, with a diplomat even expressing concerns that the various elements may try to oust him out through some form or fashion like what happened with Hu Yaobang before him.

Last edited:
Regarding Brazil, I'm guessing Tancredo Neves survives the illness that killed him OTL before he could take office, which you can research to get a better idea about.