America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Hmmm... probably at least to the mid 2000s. Anything after that may be difficult outside of general statements, I mean, even more than what I have here XD.
Well that is a little underwhelming. I hoped you would at least take it to 2022 or slightly further into the future. It doesn't have to be the most plausible but it would've been awesome to see you take it to the present day because of how good it is so far. I feel like it wouldn't do justice to leave it in the mid 2000s. I want to stress that it is your timeline and you can do with it as you please I just enjoy it so much that I hope you choose to continue it to the present day (I know you probably have a life and a lot of better things to do so no pressure or anything). I know of some timelines featuring a much earlier points of divergence like FDR choosing a different successor or Humphrey or RFK winning in 1968 that have continued until the present day (or at least what the present was back then). Please don't take offense to this comment as I honestly mean this as a huge compliment to your work here (I also loved your For A Gore Prosperous Tomorrow timeline).

Wonder if the Home Alone films will be the same, and if not, what changes will they have.
Generally, I think the first one is mostly the same though can't speak for the others. Late 1980s and Early 1990s will see changes coming for Hollywood that reverberate across the US.

Well that is a little underwhelming. I hoped you would at least take it to 2022 or slightly further into the future. It doesn't have to be the most plausible but it would've been awesome to see you take it to the present day because of how good it is so far. I feel like it wouldn't do justice to leave it in the mid 2000s. I want to stress that it is your timeline and you can do with it as you please I just enjoy it so much that I hope you choose to continue it to the present day (I know you probably have a life and a lot of better things to do so no pressure or anything). I know of some timelines featuring a much earlier points of divergence like FDR choosing a different successor or Humphrey or RFK winning in 1968 that have continued until the present day (or at least what the present was back then). Please don't take offense to this comment as I honestly mean this as a huge compliment to your work here (I also loved your For A Gore Prosperous Tomorrow timeline).
I know @gap80's Kentucky Fried Politics goes from 1955 to the 2020s I think, which is really impressive, and makes me sad that I'm having procrastination trying to read beyond the early 1964 chapter, plus me trying to avoid spoilers.

Also, what are ya'll's thoughts on basically the new rules of single use plastic here. This will definitely have some pretty big noteworthy ramifications. Things like how restaurants handle leftovers, the search for renewable alternates (how long before bamboo tries to partially fill the void) and so on. I remember my brother in law noting that this would lead to the rise of more noodle places and the like over in like food courts and malls along with hand eaten foods.
Hopefully there won't be massive piles of plastic in the ocean ITTL...

Hopefully there won't be massive piles of plastic in the ocean ITTL...
Definitely much less, especially since much of the plastic pollution is much more recent if I remember correctly. But yeah, plastic regulation was a discussion point around the time IOTL and corporations tried various ways to meet compromises that wouldn’t involve strict regulations, and said compromises obviously were pretty lackluster to say the least. Here, the growing environmentalism combined with the growing cultural and lifestyle changes make it a lot easier to clamp it down here and it’ll likely reverberate.

1989: Afghan-Pakistani War Pt. 2
1989: Afghan-Pakistani War Pt. 2

The Afghan forces have now occupied most if not all of the Northwest province of Pakistan and have begun making their way over into Balochistan, primarily to further cut off Pakistan and reinforce the Balochi nationalists that have been gradually rising up. All while India edges further and further into Kashmir and heading further into the Punjab and the heart of Pakistan. The restrictions on trade weakened Pakistan and the government's gradual growth of paranoia and cultural enforcement escalated much further into the war, to where all but the most zealous found it claustrophobic and suffocating. Zia-ul-Haq has grown increasingly desperate and unhinged, enabled by similarly paranoic advisers, especially after the assassination attempt on his life. However, there was one trump card left... and when he heard news of it, he commanded one final mission over to try and use it to bring a war to a close, if enough to wound his enemies. But it could not be done conventionally... it would have to be shot down, plus it would be difficult to try and use a plane with the measures done... no, would have to be by truck.

A quiet night, the massive truck carrying its cargo in, delivered by very devoted members to a cause. A final mission in the name of their president and their faith. But this was not the work of Allah, but a far darker one.

They were careless.

Afghan forces surrounded them, having almost reached the border. The tribal areas with their radical believers were of great help... and they would die for the cause. The drivers and the operators looked to one another, nodding as they would go to work. There was more than enough Afghan forces here to justify what they would do here. Furthermore, they were far from any sources of water. Some of their own would die... but they would go to Allah.

A Pashtuni soldier pointed his gun over to the head of the driver, who finishes a prayer. The operator finishes it...

Outside of Wana, a thundering sound was heard, echoing across the land and a blight was filled across the land...

An omnious mushroom cloud appeared, looming over like a horrific tower of judgment...

A nuclear bomb has been detonated, one equaling the force of the one of Nagasaki*...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The semi-accurately named Wana Strike would send the western world up wide awake. Despite the setbacks in doing so along with the restrictions, Pakistan had managed to create a nuclear bomb. However, the toil from war along with the bombing runs from India and Afghanistan had crippled their airforce, resulting in an impromptu bombing attempt by truck, the hope being to transport it through unoccupied parts of Balochistan and sneaking into Afghanistan to detonante it. However, if they were caught, the men were given explicit orders to activate the device in an act of martyrdom.

American President Askew would be called by General Secretary Gorbachev for an emergancy meeting as it was the Soviet sphere that detected the news of a nuclear weapon being detonated over in the area, with both administrations immediately scrambling and assembling for more information and preparing for dreadful possibilities. Underground radio networks and the news launched over and with the sight of that looming cloud, the news spread rapidly.

In desperation against the enemy, Zia-ul-Haq bombed the Afghan army along with some of his own people in the tribal areas with a nuclear bomb no less.

Pakistan would break.

The news spread like a wildfire in drought. The provincial governments of Balochistan and Sindh would assemble and vote to secede from Pakistan, not wanting to get caught in the crossfire along with the so-called Northern areas occupied by India. Most of all, the Northwest province, which was what Afghanistan was fighting for, would be the most horrified by the attack and after enduring weeks of icnreased scrutiny, suspicion and even accusations of treason amongst their own, they put their foot down, seceding from Pakistan and joining Afghanistan.

Afghanistan, mourned their fallen before filled with a might outrage. Most concerns over the war vanished in the tide of patriotism and the desire for retribution along with the confirmation of their worst fears. India meanwhile was now in panic though despite the increased calls for it, they refused to retaliate with a nuclear weapon of their own, fearing further escalation, especially with the Americans and the Soviets now having their full attention onto the warground.

Days later, Zia-ul-Haq would be attacked, killed by his own men before the gowing divisions in the administration widened, turning on one another in a blood bath on who would assert power after him, with supporters and detractors killed. It did not last long though, as a general managed to bring enough order in to assemble a government of sorts as the new president... and outside as the fires began to grow... the dream was dead.

How much blood would it take to reclaim Sindh and Balochistan, much less then northern provinces. How many more kin would need to die before the bloodlust would fade? No more... the dream was dead. Even if they could try and fight back, the renewed rage of the nations would overwhelm and crush them, along with the mighty powers of the Americans and Soviets who would no doubt becoming in... no... this general was not blinded by the bloodlust or zealotry... he would not send his coutnrymen to further die... fo however long they could be.

The people are speaking. They are not martyrs... and they will not die for this. If further war continued, the mobs would come to the capital building and break it all... no, the dream was dead.

Late Febuary, 1989... Pakistan gave their unconditional surrender over to Afghanistan and India.

The war was over.

---------------------------------------------------

*= The bomb used was loosely based on the Shakti-II plutonium implosion explosive used IOTL with India. Basically, something like that with about 20 kilotons or so would be the closest I think Pakistan would be able to make.

Last edited:
Holy cow!. Did Pakistan have nuclear weapons ready at that time in our world?
Sorta... in OTL, they did alot testing of various components in the mid 1980s, but the first real test was in the late 1990s of various types of weapons. They developed a whole arsenal by the end of the 1990s.

Here, they were alot more restricted, but it was basically a plutonium implosion device like the 1945 "Fat Man" was, not a thermalnuclear device or whatnot. It was pretty much made with the intent to smuggle to a city or something to try and threaten or whatnot. The results of a political leader who's gone increasingly paranoid, and then off the deep end after the failed assassination attempt.

So, they made what they could here, which is still pretty dangerous. Around 20 kilotons ain't nothing to sneeze at, even if it miles away from any major metropolitan area.

Last edited:
Also, what are ya'll's thoughts on basically the new rules of single use plastic here. This will definitely have some pretty big noteworthy ramifications. Things like how restaurants handle leftovers, the search for renewable alternates (how long before bamboo tries to partially fill the void) and so on. I remember my brother in law noting that this would lead to the rise of more noodle places and the like over in like food courts and malls along with hand eaten foods.

Considering that the plastic straws with the flexible bend were made for disabled and ill people before going mainstream, I'd say that's a major ramification to consider. Yes, they were initially made for hospitals so patients could drink without spilling -- or worse yet, choking on -- liquid.

This article goes into further detail, including the point that the substitutes for single-use plastic usually have their own problems. And that's with current IOTL technology; the tech levels 30+ years ago would be even worse. Another disturbing point is that American law didn't require labelling for allergens till 2004 (despite the glue for paper straws containing corn or gluten); yes, that's true.

And getting rid of plastic utensils and limiting the available foods has its own problems. What if you simply don't have the dexterity to use chopsticks, even if you're able-bodied? Would you have to ask the fast-food workers to cut up food for you, or just give up on having major parts of the menu?

This is from personal experience. My neuropathy means that my hands can, without warning, stop being able to grip things. I need a straw so I can keep the glass on or very close to the table, so the glass won't fall and spill over me.

Considering that the plastic straws with the flexible bend were made for disabled and ill people before going mainstream, I'd say that's a major ramification to consider. Yes, they were initially made for hospitals so patients could drink without spilling -- or worse yet, choking on -- liquid.

This article goes into further detail, including the point that the substitutes for single-use plastic usually have their own problems. And that's with current IOTL technology; the tech levels 30+ years ago would be even worse. Another disturbing point is that American law didn't require labelling for allergens till 2004 (despite the glue for paper straws containing corn or gluten); yes, that's true.

And getting rid of plastic utensils and limiting the available foods has its own problems. What if you simply don't have the dexterity to use chopsticks, even if you're able-bodied? Would you have to ask the fast-food workers to cut up food for you, or just give up on having major parts of the menu?

This is from personal experience. My neuropathy means that my hands can, without warning, stop being able to grip things. I need a straw so I can keep the glass on or very close to the table, so the glass won't fall and spill over me.
Yeah, let me edit that given how they would’ve considered that. Though there is a difference between technology and willingness to actually innovate.

As for utensils, probably focus on other types that could be made, hence why there is a period of transition.

thanks for telling me of the allergens though.

Last edited:
Yeah, let me edit that given how they would’ve considered that. Though there is a difference between technology and willingness to actually innovate.

As for utensils, probably focus on other types that could be made, hence why there is a period of transition.

thanks for telling me of the allergens though.

Instead of automatically giving each cup a straw, the customer has to ask for straws or utensils while making their order.
I remember in past years that some places would just stuff a handful of ketchup packets or a big clump of napkins in each takeout bag, even though you didn't request them. That would cut down a lot on waste, if the restaurants didn't do that.

Instead of automatically giving each cup a straw, the customer has to ask for straws or utensils while making their order.
I remember in past years that some places would just stuff a handful of ketchup packets or a big clump of napkins in each takeout bag, even though you didn't request them. That would cut down a lot on waste, if the restaurants didn't do that.
That will likely be one of the stipulations I imagine. I do see plastic cutlery probably losing out faster due to alternates than straws though. I imagine it would still be a point of contention. I also imagine the regulations would be more toward the production facilities, as in the people who actually make the plastic. As in how much plastic cutlery could be made.

Am wondering what else they would try and do, given well, I'm not a well-educated policy maker. Your suggestions on this?

Allergens stuff will have a regulation stuff passed sooner

Last edited:
I know @gap80's Kentucky Fried Politics goes from 1955 to the 2020s I think, which is really impressive, and makes me sad that I'm having procrastination trying to read beyond the early 1964 chapter, plus me trying to avoid spoilers.
What’s even more impressive about Kentucky Fried Politics is that each chapter is 5-13k words. Plus it was never boring IMO.

But yeah, details aside, a lot of plastic pollution will be cut down at the source, which would be manufacturing and thus forcing a faster investment into alternatives to look into, along with other intiatives.

It will influence lifestyles certain and there’s gonna be a lot of changes and questions.

For example, would y’all buy yogurt from containers that already had yogurt in it before disinfects and sold? Or would it instead be sold in bulk glass?

Things like Lunachables and prepackaged snacks would bite it unless it was like cardboard or some thing.

Bottled water wouldn’t be much of a thing to buy and we may see more in cans (which would necessitate larger recycling programs) and so on.