Anime is sort of underrated for how much alternate history it contains

No, I'm not talking about alternate WWII's where commanders or battleships or strike witches are magical little girls. Or, by the same token, historical settings where magic or aliens or another fantastical element appears and changes everything. I'm also not talking about near-future (for the time) sci-fi series like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell that are now retrospectively AH. (What's the term for that btw? Can't be retrofuturism, the '90s feel too recent.) Or other future history. FH without a POD in the past don't count. Though I did see an incredibly silly suggestion on TVTropes' WMG page for Eva that the series takes place in a world where the Axis won WWII.

I'm not even talking about bonafide actual full-fledged alternate history anime where the different world becomes a focus of the plot. Code Geass is the biggest example that everyone knows, but Jin-Roh and the rest of its Kerberos Saga probably should get attention as it is basically The Man in the High Castle, Fatherland, TNO, and every other Nazi Victory timeline rolled into one dark gritty anime. It's crazy there's only been two small threads it on this forum. I mean, I haven't seen it (I don't watch much anime) but even I know how important it is, and will get to it soon.

What I'm talking about is I'm listening to a review of Gunslinger Girl (a series I had heard of, but I did not know anything about actually) which describes it as taking place in an alternate Italy where the Years of Lead never ended, but continued into the 21st century. And there are also magical cyborg schoolgirl hitmen, but that fantastical element exists independently of the setting. That's really impressive to me that anime can just have non-obvious AH settings because- hey, we want political thriller action in the land of the Mafia, but we want it in the modern day, so who cares if most non-Italians don't know what the Years of Lead are.

Another example that I'm more familiar with (and which is probably a better example, in case the review is exaggerating and the aforementioned series doesn't really dive into the alternate history that much and just uses Italy as window dressing), is Full Metal Panic! It's a series that has a continued Cold War until there are mecha, with a surprisingly specific timeline that I remember seeing back in 2006 when people were using Wikipedia like a big fan wiki. All of that happens in spite of the series being about high school romcom hijinks. Or the mecha, even, which that article used to have details on each model. And its planes, ships, and guns.

So yeah, any other examples of anime that just casually happen to be alternate history?

Sekhmet_D

Kicked
What I'm talking about is I'm listening to a review of Gunslinger Girl (a series I had heard of, but I did not know anything about actually) which describes it as taking place in an alternate Italy where the Years of Lead never ended, but continued into the 21st century. And there are also magical cyborg schoolgirl hitmen, but that fantastical element exists independently of the setting. That's really impressive to me that anime can just have non-obvious AH settings because- hey, we want political thriller action in the land of the Mafia, but we want it in the modern day, so who cares if most non-Italians don't know what the Years of Lead are.
I think it's not entirely accurate to say that the SWA children exist independently of the setting, given that they are counter terrorists who spend much of their time dealing with the Republican uprising and other threats that the show's fictional socio political climate has produced. But you are right about the setting being 'casual AH' in that the alternate historical elements are just there in the background and are not heavily explored. If anything, they are a plot device to allow for the employment of this fantastical unit of superhuman cyborg child soldiers, whose interpersonal relationships are the core focus of the story.

I would highly recommend that you watch the series from start to finish as well as read the comics. It's a great ride.

No, I'm not talking about alternate WWII's where commanders or battleships or strike witches are magical little girls. Or, by the same token, historical settings where magic or aliens or another fantastical element appears and changes everything. I'm also not talking about near-future (for the time) sci-fi series like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell that are now retrospectively AH. (What's the term for that btw? Can't be retrofuturism, the '90s feel too recent.) Or other future history. FH without a POD in the past don't count. Though I did see an incredibly silly suggestion on TVTropes' WMG page for Eva that the series takes place in a world where the Axis won WWII.
I know what you mean. It's like what happened with Star Trek - it became alternate history as time moved on, despite some attempts by the writers to incorporate RL events (even if that wouldn't really make sense).

But you are right about the setting being 'casual AH' in that the alternate historical elements are just there in the background and are not heavily explored. If anything, they are a plot device to allow for the employment of this fantastical unit of superhuman cyborg child soldiers, whose interpersonal relationships are the core focus of the story.
There are non-anime examples of this happening. Blackadder, for instance. Or Prey (2017). Or The Execution Channel by Ken MacLeod. Or the Pennyworth television show.

It also sort of sounds like what I've heard about For All Mankind, in that a lot of the AH outside of the space stuff and/or the characters' actions just sort of happens for the sake of AH craziness. Like what happens to Thatcher in the background. I sort of like that fast and loose verisimilitude as long as it doesn't clash or get too implausible.

I would highly recommend that you watch the series from start to finish as well as read the comics. It's a great ride.
Thanks but it's really not my type of anime, and to be honest I'm the type whose favorite series is Black Lagoon, basically the "anime for people who aren't into anime" of the 2000s (previously held by Cowboy Bebop), and even the Vampire twins arc was a little too genre convention for me. That said, I did sit through the same YouTuber's 48 minute love letter to Gunslinger Girl, which makes it all sound interesting even as it highlights the suspect nature of the original author. (Speaking of creeps, the retrospective does a lovely job covering the manga's finale, allowing me to vicariously enjoy the idea of the story in a way that reminds me of Aziz Ansari's bit about reading the Wikipedia plot summary of Saw and then only watching the twist ending.)

Muv Luv Alternative has the allies to Nuke Berlin twice for some reason

Also Japan gets scotch free after WWII since it doesn't get occupied, it only has to hand over Formosa and Korea

Ahhhhh this isn't straight-up AH, but it's more speculative geopolitical world-building crossed with heavy philosophical themes courtesy of Mamoru Oshiii, delivered by same author of the video in the OP

V2UVShc.png

I'm not sure if it's what you mean, but High School Fleet takes place in current Japan* that was partly submerged due to seismic activity, caused by excessive mining, early in the 20th century and didn't take part in the world wars.

* well, 2016, since it aired then

Ghost in the Shell that are now retrospectively AH.

I'm reading it at the future and with references to the USSR still existing and World War IV (!) it certainly feels both like AH and Alternative Future (if that can be a thing). It would certainly take quite a PoD for our 2029 to be like the one depicted in GitS!

I just had this trailer recommended to me

Turns out it's the live-action adaptation of a manga

During the Cold War, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force jointly developed a nuclear submarine with the United States Navy. On its maiden voyage, the captain of the submarine, Shiro Kaieda, declares the submarine to be an independent state, "Yamato". Kaieda attempts to attend a UN summit in order to be recognized as an independent nation. However, many forces such as the United States Navy and the Soviet Navy try to stop Kaieda and his crew from reaching New York.

lol Japan has their own The Hunt for Red October also a sovereign submarine nation does sound like a pretty AH-adjacent idea.

IIRC Lupin the 3rd is straight up an alternate history, but it just doesn't dwell on the stuff.

Master Keaton could be argued to be one at times, but that could also just be the author was writing a series in the late 80's/early 90's set in a part of the world he wasn't particularly well equipped to know the full ins and outs of.