Bell Telephone not broken up

For whatever reason, Bell Telephone company isnt broken up in 1984 into the "Baby Bells". What impact would this have on telecommunications and the economy of the U.S.?

Mark said:
ATT would control the telephone service in the US. Ahhhh, wait a minute...
Hm, so rather than the trucks saying Verizon they would say AT&T... differences beyond that? Would there be less worry about monopolistic practices- more mergers approved? (Though which mergers have been denied by the US since the Bell Divesture)

Imajin said:
Hm, so rather than the trucks saying Verizon they would say AT&T... differences beyond that? Would there be less worry about monopolistic practices- more mergers approved? (Though which mergers have been denied by the US since the Bell Divesture)

SBC bought AT&T, then changed its name to AT&T. AT&T recently anounced that it will buy BellSouth, which I believe gobbled up at least one of its sibling Bells. The more things change, the more they are the same.

Mark said:
SBC bought AT&T, then changed its name to AT&T. AT&T recently anounced that it will buy BellSouth, which I believe gobbled up at least one of its sibling Bells. The more things change, the more they are the same.
The Baby Bells have been moving towards reforming for awhile, though... for example, in this area New England Telephone was merged into NYNEX at the divesture, which later was bought out by Bell Atlantic, which merged with GTE to make Verizon... I suppose Verizon needs to merge with/buy out/get bought out by AT&T and we'd almost be back where we started...