Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Do also a chapter for The Vatican between 1962-Onwards. I'm also curious because 1978 was "The Year of Three Popes", so in our timeline we have Pope John Paul II in memory of his predecessor Pope John Paul I. In this timeline, he was Pope Stanislaus. Could you make Pope Stanislaus narrowly missed the gunshot from his assassin in 1981 in the next chapter? And could you make Pope Stanislaus have a long pontificate reign from 1978, and hopefully to 2018 to have a 40-Year Reign as Pope because he has a healthy lifestyle before his assassination attempt in 1981.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Welcome to this continuation of Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60s and Beyond! As promised, this thread will serve as the TL's ongoing "home" as we move forward into 1979 and points thereafter. The next full update, Chapter 121, should go live before the end of the week. Feel free to continue commenting and discussing, asking questions, making suggestions, and so on.
I also have few questions to ask:
1. Did Marilyn Monroe took a break for a while in doing movies to take care of her child?
2. Where is Judy Garland at this time and did she made movies now that she avoided her death from drug overdose?
3. Would you make Elvis Presley get some dramatic roles in movies and hope to get him nominated and win in The Academy Awards?
4. Is Janis Joplin dead or did she took time to take a break in music?
5. Would Al Pacino and John Travolta have a successful film career in the 80's?
6. Where is Robin Williams at this time, isn't he doing a guess show on Happy Days that lead to his spin-off, Mork and Mindy?
7. Now that Lynyrd Skynyrd survived from their near-death experience, what are they're doing this time?
8. Would the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb continue to be successful in the 80's if The Disco Sucks never happened in 1979?
9. Would Hollywood finally having chance for The Beatles and Michael Jackson for acting in movies other than making music?
10. I want both Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire to be the leading roles not in a musical movie, but a dramatic movie because they're called as "triple threat" in movie industry.
11. Does Frank Sinatra still support President Kennedy on his reelection campaign in 1964 now that he survived from his assassination attempt?

Last edited:
Another thing I'd just like to ask since I can tell you're planning to have Eddie Murphy play Winston in Ghostbusters. Can Ernie Hudson get a better career here? I doubt he has any regrets about doing Ghostbusters, but he's been essentially seen as "No one's favorite Ghostbuster" since then and has ended up slumming it. I don't know, maybe he ends up playing O.J. Simpson's character in Naked Gun?

Another thing I'd just like to ask since I can tell you're planning to have Eddie Murphy play Winston in Ghostbusters. Can Ernie Hudson get a better career here? I doubt he has any regrets about doing Ghostbusters, but he's been essentially seen as "No one's favorite Ghostbuster" since then and has ended up slumming it. I don't know, maybe he ends up playing O.J. Simpson's character in Naked Gun?
Oh that's a good suggestion genius! I wonder what alternate timeline would be for O. J. Simpson?

If I might ask for something to be butterflied, could you prevent the deaths of Heather O'Rourke, Judith Barsi, and Samantha Smith. There are other child stars I'd like the deaths of to be butterflied as well, but these three just kind of stand out because of how tragic they were.

I believe that this Christmas/Holiday season wish can definitely be granted. :)

I hope the fates of Cyndi and Madonna will be swapped here, Lauper's by far the better person, and the better singer.

I do have to admit to some bias here myself. Lauper is one of my all-time favorite artists. I absolutely adore her as both a musician and a person. Expect her to do big things ITTL! :D

A wonderful morning to you genius! I been reading this alternate timeline of yours since October after I watched and mentioned yours from Alternate History Hub on YouTube. Kid, you've surprised me! Now that President Kennedy survived his assassination attempt, completing his two terms in office, and avoiding Vietnam War but Cambodian War; what would be our alternate timeline of our country, The Philippines? You still haven't mentioned our country for a long time. What would be our culture, politics, and history? If you are going to ask me, the 1935 Constitution would still used to this day. We still gonna have the two-party system namely the Nacionalista Party and the Liberal Party to this day. All of our print and mass media will still be away from government control. And Quezon City is still our nation's capital during President Kennedy's time in office. Are you going to have a chapter for our country, The Philippines? If so, could you mention in this chapter that President Kennedy visited our country to improve the relations between the United States and the Philippines, and who would be our Alternate Philippine Presidents?

Thank you for the kind words! :) The Philippines is definitely a subject on which I would be glad to devote an entire chapter. I will add it to the list! Expect it sometime in the near future. In the meantime, I'm confident that President Kennedy would have visited the Philippines ITTL during his time in office.

Curious about that myself, as well as South Korea, the Vatican, West Germany, and some of the Eastern Block countries.

Also deserve their own chapters. I will probably devote one of the upcoming chapters to overviews of these and other countries. Another Foreign Affairs update, if you will.

I also have few questions to ask:
1. Did Marilyn Monroe took a break for a while in doing movies to take care of her child?
2. Where is Judy Garland at this time and did she made movies now that she avoided her death from drug overdose?
3. Would you make Elvis Presley get some dramatic roles in movies and hope to get him nominated and win in The Academy Awards?
4. Is Janis Joplin dead or did she took time to take a break in music?
5. Would Al Pacino and John Travolta have a successful film career in the 80's?
6. Where is Robin Williams at this time, isn't he doing a guess show on Happy Days that lead to his spin-off, Mork and Mindy?
7. Now that Lynyrd Skynyrd survived from their near-death experience, what are they're doing this time?
8. Would the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb continue to be successful in the 80's if The Disco Sucks never happened in 1979?
9. Would Hollywood finally having chance for The Beatles and Michael Jackson for acting in movies other than making music?
10. I want both Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire to be the leading roles not in a musical movie, but a dramatic movie because they're called as "triple threat" in movie industry.
11. Does Frank Sinatra still support President Kennedy on his reelection campaign in 1964 now that he survived from his assassination attempt?

Lightning Round!

1. Yes. Since The Exorcist in 1973, Marilyn Monroe has been unofficially retired from acting to spend more time with her husband, Joe DiMaggio, and their adopted son, Percy.

2. After recovering from her addiction to barbiturates, Judy Garland also phased into something of an unofficial retirement. She will swing a pretty awesome cameo appearance in The Muppet Movie (1979), where she encourages Kermit the Frog in his fascination with rainbows and "what's on the other side". She also has smaller parts in various other films.

3. The King will definitely have a more dynamic acting career ITTL. Without the overbearing control of Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis can pursue the more serious roles he was interested in. That said, I think an Academy Award nom, let alone win will remain out of reach for the time being. At least he'll continue to make great music, enjoy a happy marriage and family life with Ann Margret, and make a few movies he can really be proud of.

4. ITTL, Janis Joplin survived her drug abuse. She's currently married to country singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson.

5. Both Al Pacino and John Travolta are on track to have hugely successful careers ITTL. Pacino and Robert De Niro switched roles in Godfather Part II here, with De Niro taking the role of Michael Corleone and Pacino playing a younger version of his father, Vito. Travolta sees a similar path to his OTL career, with major success coming from Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

6. Yep. :) Williams, another personal favorite of mine, is appearing on Happy Days and as of 1978, starring on Mork & Mindy.

7. Lynyrd Skynyrd, without their plane crash, continue making music together. Their southern rock sound continues to influence the overall direction of the genre, giving it a strongly blues-influenced twang. As acts like Stevie Ray Vaughan come onto the scene, expect them to open for Skynyrd.

8. Personally, I believe that some level of backlash against Disco was probably inevitable. The genre BLEW UP in popularity throughout the late 70s. By '78-79 it was a behemoth, dominating the airwaves and record sales. Like all trends, the fad had to lose its appeal at some point. I expect the bubble will still probably pop sometime around 1980. Where pop music goes from there however, will be interesting. New Wave ITTL will definitely take off in some original directions...

9. Possibly. MJ definitely wanted to act in more films than he got to IOTL. And his success in The Wiz, a more widely-appreciated film ITTL, could help with that. Still, music will remain his primary industry here. As for the Beatles, expect small cameo parts here and there. As the Fab Four drift apart in the late 70s, Paul McCartney is dedicating his time to being a record executive and running Apple Corps. John Lennon is taking up more political activism and mulling over his next big move. George Harrison and Ringo Starr are considering solo careers and side projects.

10. A possibility! By the late 1970s, both Kelly and Astaire are getting up there in years. If someone were to present to me a compelling film for them to lead together, I'd be happy to include it in a pop culture update. :)

11. ITTL, following the attempt on JFK's life in Dallas, Sinatra reached out to the President and attempted to mend fences. President Kennedy apologized for "snubbing" Sinatra back in '62, and the two rekindled their friendship. Sinatra organized campaign events and fundraisers for Kennedy once again in 1964.

Absolutely. Ernie Hudson was a fine actor and comedian. He deserved a better fate than what he got IOTL. I think casting him in Naked Gun is a great idea! I'll try and think of more appropriate parts for him as the TL continues as well.

Thank you for the kind words! :) The Philippines is definitely a subject on which I would be glad to devote an entire chapter. I will add it to the list! Expect it sometime in the near future. In the meantime, I'm confident that President Kennedy would have visited the Philippines ITTL during his time in office.
Alright genius! I'll wait until I see the chapter for our country, The Philippines. Hope to avoid Ferdinand Marcos, Sr. to become the Philippine President. His 20-Year Reign between 1965-1986 caused poverty, unemployment, corruption, foreign debts, crimes against humanity, and the rise of communist insurgency. Hope to improve our quality of life, increased minimum wage, government transparency, decreased criminality, continue having the freedom of press, being debt-free, modernized armed forces and police; and avoid the spread of communism in our country now that President Kennedy prevent the Vietnam War. Would the US Military Bases in Clark and Subic be active during the Cambodian War and will the US Government continue to extend or end their military base presence here?

Last edited:
I also want to ask on Professor Stephen Hawking, what is he doing ITTL other than making A Brief History of Time?
Given his illness is inevitable he probably just follows his exact OTL path. Like Einstein before him he's a pure academic so changes to the political or showbiz landscape (short of a 4th Reich turning up) won't affect him over much.

Wonderful Afternoon Geniuses! Forgive me for asking more questions due to my curiosity and critical thinking:

1. How's Disney doing at this point in time? Are they having more success ITTL than IOTL?
2. Did Sean Connery ended his time as James Bond before the 70's and is he having a successful career during the 70's? Who's his successor and current actor playing James Bond ITTL?
3. Will gymnast Nadia Comaneci have a healthier and successful career ITTL?
4. Is video games and arcades in its infancy or growing?
5. Would The Midnight Special and Tomorrow With Tom Snyder on NBC will continue in the 80's?
6. Is Walter Cronkite of The CBS Evening News still gonna retire or continue throughout the 80's?
7. What's going on with Playboy Magazine and Hugh Hefner ITTL?
8. Is Frank Sinatra not going to make any movies and continue his music career?
9. Would Microsoft and Apple be more successful in the 80's?
10. Is Scientology ended at this time? If it is, John Travolta and Tom Cruise will be in better place ITTL.
11. Where is Bruce Lee at this time? Did he took a break from acting after Enter The Dragon? Are we going to see him in a drama movie besides doing action movies? Dramatic-Philosophical movie? Now that's something we don't see everyday. What would happen to Jackie Chan's career now that Bruce Lee survived from his near-death experience?
12. Would Francis Coppola and Mario Puzo going to make The Godfather III in 1979 or in the 80's? If so, is there gonna be big changes than IOTL?
13. Will there won't be Kennedy Center Honors now that President Kennedy survive?
14. Does Bill Clinton marries Raquel Welch ITTL?
15. Where's Yuri Gagarin ITTL after US-Soviet Moon Landing in 1969, up to this time in 1979?
16. Where's Jay Leno and David Letterman ITTL? I know they're having a debut stand-up comedy routine in The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Hope that Carson be the host of The Academy Awards throughout the 80's and ended his 30-year reign on the same day he started the show in 1962, October 1, 1992. And David Letterman became his successor from 1992-2012, then Conan O' Brien from 2012-2022. Carson, Letterman, and O' Brien is like would I call "The Iconic Trio" or "The Holy Trinity" of Late Night.

Last edited:
Also, since India is IBSicTL US and UK's ally. How will Bollywood fare compare to OTL? Is there going to be like an Indian invasion of content like the Korean Wave IOTL?

I believe that this Christmas/Holiday season wish can definitely be granted. :)

I do have to admit to some bias here myself. Lauper is one of my all-time favorite artists. I absolutely adore her as both a musician and a person. Expect her to do big things ITTL! :D

Also deserve their own chapters. I will probably devote one of the upcoming chapters to overviews of these and other countries. Another Foreign Affairs update, if you will.

Lightning Round!

1. Yes. Since The Exorcist in 1973, Marilyn Monroe has been unofficially retired from acting to spend more time with her husband, Joe DiMaggio, and their adopted son, Percy.

2. After recovering from her addiction to barbiturates, Judy Garland also phased into something of an unofficial retirement. She will swing a pretty awesome cameo appearance in The Muppet Movie (1979), where she encourages Kermit the Frog in his fascination with rainbows and "what's on the other side". She also has smaller parts in various other films.

3. The King will definitely have a more dynamic acting career ITTL. Without the overbearing control of Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis can pursue the more serious roles he was interested in. That said, I think an Academy Award nom, let alone win will remain out of reach for the time being. At least he'll continue to make great music, enjoy a happy marriage and family life with Ann Margret, and make a few movies he can really be proud of.

4. ITTL, Janis Joplin survived her drug abuse. She's currently married to country singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson.

5. Both Al Pacino and John Travolta are on track to have hugely successful careers ITTL. Pacino and Robert De Niro switched roles in Godfather Part II here, with De Niro taking the role of Michael Corleone and Pacino playing a younger version of his father, Vito. Travolta sees a similar path to his OTL career, with major success coming from Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

6. Yep. :) Williams, another personal favorite of mine, is appearing on Happy Days and as of 1978, starring on Mork & Mindy.

7. Lynyrd Skynyrd, without their plane crash, continue making music together. Their southern rock sound continues to influence the overall direction of the genre, giving it a strongly blues-influenced twang. As acts like Stevie Ray Vaughan come onto the scene, expect them to open for Skynyrd.

8. Personally, I believe that some level of backlash against Disco was probably inevitable. The genre BLEW UP in popularity throughout the late 70s. By '78-79 it was a behemoth, dominating the airwaves and record sales. Like all trends, the fad had to lose its appeal at some point. I expect the bubble will still probably pop sometime around 1980. Where pop music goes from there however, will be interesting. New Wave ITTL will definitely take off in some original directions...

9. Possibly. MJ definitely wanted to act in more films than he got to IOTL. And his success in The Wiz, a more widely-appreciated film ITTL, could help with that. Still, music will remain his primary industry here. As for the Beatles, expect small cameo parts here and there. As the Fab Four drift apart in the late 70s, Paul McCartney is dedicating his time to being a record executive and running Apple Corps. John Lennon is taking up more political activism and mulling over his next big move. George Harrison and Ringo Starr are considering solo careers and side projects.

10. A possibility! By the late 1970s, both Kelly and Astaire are getting up there in years. If someone were to present to me a compelling film for them to lead together, I'd be happy to include it in a pop culture update. :)

11. ITTL, following the attempt on JFK's life in Dallas, Sinatra reached out to the President and attempted to mend fences. President Kennedy apologized for "snubbing" Sinatra back in '62, and the two rekindled their friendship. Sinatra organized campaign events and fundraisers for Kennedy once again in 1964.

Absolutely. Ernie Hudson was a fine actor and comedian. He deserved a better fate than what he got IOTL. I think casting him in Naked Gun is a great idea! I'll try and think of more appropriate parts for him as the TL continues as well.

About the death of disco, if it just fades out rather than experience a violent backlash, the genre might evolve along similar lines in the US, as it did in Europe, eventually influencing early/mid-1990s dance music - whether that's a bad thing or a good thing, that depends on your tolerance level for cheesy pop music, I guess. :p

Alright Geniuses! Anyone here can recommend what drama movie of 1979 would be that the critics would say "the finest performances of their careers as actors besides their dancing and singing abilities. You can feel their emotions whenever they're crying, angry, or happy in every scene."

Last edited:
Hope by the turn of the 80's, the LGBT+ Community finally gets the equal respect that they deserve. Also in the next decade, hope the AIDS can save millions of lives than the OTL. With the early action towards Climate Change by President Kennedy in the 60's, hope to reduce the use of plastic, save the ozone layer, and encourage everyone on "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" method in the next decade.

I know I've already made two requests for this timeline, but this'll probably be the last one for a while: can we also have it so Bruce Campbell has a better career ITTL?

I know I've already made two requests for this timeline, but this'll probably be the last one for a while: can we also have it so Bruce Campbell has a better career ITTL?
Groovy! Aside doing both Horror and Action in The Evil Dead Trilogy, I want to see him more in dramatic roles that could really flex his acting career.