Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

dd2e8fa8-2d22-4868-95d2-b0cdc5ac8475_text.gif

007 and Assorted Tidbits
Merry Christmas, everyone! :D Happy Holidays to all! Thank you for your patience in waiting for a response. The holidays have kept me busy over the last few days.

I also want to ask on Professor Stephen Hawking, what is he doing ITTL other than making A Brief History of Time?

Largely following his OTL career path. :) Dr. Hawking, as in OTL, is frequently interviewed by the press due to his knowledge on Black Holes and physics at large, which are beginning to gain mainstream public interest. He is also a guest lecturer at universities the world over.

Wonderful Afternoon Geniuses! Forgive me for asking more questions due to my curiosity and critical thinking:

1. How's Disney doing at this point in time? Are they having more success ITTL than IOTL?
2. Did Sean Connery ended his time as James Bond before the 70's and is he having a successful career during the 70's? Who's his successor and current actor playing James Bond ITTL?
3. Will gymnast Nadia Comaneci have a healthier and successful career ITTL?
4. Is video games and arcades in its infancy or growing?
5. Would The Midnight Special and Tomorrow With Tom Snyder on NBC will continue in the 80's?
6. Is Walter Cronkite of The CBS Evening News still gonna retire or continue throughout the 80's?
7. What's going on with Playboy Magazine and Hugh Hefner ITTL?
8. Is Frank Sinatra not going to make any movies and continue his music career?
9. Would Microsoft and Apple be more successful in the 80's?
10. Is Scientology ended at this time? If it is, John Travolta and Tom Cruise will be in better place ITTL.
11. Where is Bruce Lee at this time? Did he took a break from acting after Enter The Dragon? Are we going to see him in a drama movie besides doing action movies? Dramatic-Philosophical movie? Now that's something we don't see everyday. What would happen to Jackie Chan's career now that Bruce Lee survived from his near-death experience?
12. Would Francis Coppola and Mario Puzo going to make The Godfather III in 1979 or in the 80's? If so, is there gonna be big changes than IOTL?
13. Will there won't be Kennedy Center Honors now that President Kennedy survive?
14. Does Bill Clinton marries Raquel Welch ITTL?
15. Where's Yuri Gagarin ITTL after US-Soviet Moon Landing in 1969, up to this time in 1979?
16. Where's Jay Leno and David Letterman ITTL? I know they're having a debut stand-up comedy routine in The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Hope that Carson be the host of The Academy Awards throughout the 80's and ended his 30-year reign on the same day he started the show in 1962, October 1, 1992. And David Letterman became his successor from 1992-2012, then Conan O' Brien from 2012-2022. Carson, Letterman, and O' Brien is like would I call "The Iconic Trio" or "The Holy Trinity" of Late Night.

Lightning Round, Part II:

1. As per OTL, Walt Disney passed away on December 15th, 1966 of circulatory collapse brought on by lung cancer. Walt's brother, Roy, ran the company until he passed away in December of 1971. Since then, the company reins were handed to Donn Tatum, who became CEO until 1976, and Chairman of the Board until 1980. Tatum, Frank Wells, and Ron Miller are currently calling the shots at the House of Mouse as of 1979. I would like to report changes on Disney's fortunes ITTL, but a lot of these specific events seem pretty set in stone following Walt and later, Roy O.'s passing. Roy E. Disney still resigns his executive position in 1977 over disagreements on the company's direction, but he will play a role in the company's future. Stay tuned!

2. As port OTL, Sean Connery finished out the role of James Bond with Diamonds are Forever in 1971. His successor as 007 was British actor Julian Glover, who first starred in Live and Let Die (1973) alongside Diana Ross as Solitaire. Glover's portrayal was met with positive reviews by critics. The same could not be said for the follow up, 1974's The Man with the Golden Gun. Not even Jack Palance's well-received turn as Francisco Scaramanga could save this latter film from being panned. Its comedic stylings and uneven performances were largely blamed for its lack of success. Finally, 1977's Tremor of Intent (penned by Anthony Burgess and based on his novel of the same name) was seen as a set back in the right direction for the franchise. Intent featured Glover's Bond fighting the criminal organization CHAOS in Singapore, and thwarting a plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II by a bombing of the Sydney Opera House. Though Tremor of Intent completed Julian Glover's three picture deal with Eon Productions, he has been tapped once again to star in the upcoming 1979 flick Moonraker.

I certainly think this could be possible. :)

4. Definitely a growing industry, but still largely arcade based. The video game industry will receive another update in time.

5. From what I understand of Saturday Night Special's cancellation, I think the butterfly wings of SNL performing better ITTL might help save the previous show from cancellation for a bit. As for Snyder's show Tomorrow, it's possible. I think his feud with co-host Barrett was a major driver for her departure and the show's demise shortly thereafter. Would be glad to be corrected if I am wrong, however.

6. Walter Cronkite, the "most trusted man in America" certainly earned his retirement by 1981. ITTL, he will still retire and be succeeded at the desk by 49 year old Dan Rather.

7. I believe I covered this a bit during the recent chapter "How Deep is Your Love". Feel free to refer back to it. But in brief, they're largely following their OTL path here.

8. By the late 70s, Sinatra's voice was becoming, according to contemporaries: "coarsened... darker, tougher, loamier... [it] sometimes cracked during performances..." He continues to perform on occasion, including a well-received residence in Las Vegas as per OTL, but by this time in his life, his career, both in music and in movies, is very much winding down.

9. ITTL, Apple doesn't exist. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak are working with engineers at Xerox to develop personal computers in their Palo Alto, California workshop. The "X-1" computer (think TTL's Apple 1) will blow up personal computing in the early 80s. It will be Xerox, however, not Apple, who leads the pack. Microsoft is, so far, following its OTL path.

10. Yes. As covered in a previous update, Scientology increasingly fades into irrelevancy ITTL. By TTL 2022, the movement is down to fewer than 10,000 adherents. I can confirm that neither Cruise nor Travolta will become Scientologists ITTL.

11. Bruce Lee surviving ITTL means that he has become an absolute superstar by 1979. After Enter the Dragon, Lee did take a brief break from acting. He has now returned however, and while martial arts movies are still his primary focus, he is beginning to branch out and take on more dramatic roles where he can get them. Lee's stardom, along with George Takei's on television is definitely helping Asian-Americans find more representation in mass media. I don't see why Jackie Chan's career would be hurt by Lee's survival, per say. If anything, I feel like increased popularity for martial arts films as a genre can only help Chan's burgeoning career.

12. Yes and yes. Details coming soon!

13. The Kennedy Center is still called the Kennedy Center ITTL. The Kennedy Administration's dedications to Federal Arts programs still lead his name to be chosen for the Honors and so on.

14. Yes. Please refer back to that update for details. I would like to check back in with "Slick Billy" Clinton soon, though.

15. After leading the Apollo-Svarog missions for the Soviet Space Program, Yuri Gagarin would remain active in helping to shape Soviet space policy. Alongside his close friend, Valentina Tereshkova. As of 1979, he and his wife, Valentina Ivanova Gagarina still live and work in Moscow.

16. That would make for some pretty stellar bookends! We'll see if things line up nearly so nicely. :) Leno just made his first appearance on The Tonight Show in 1977. Letterman is about to have his big break as well.

Also, since India is IBSicTL US and UK's ally. How will Bollywood fare compare to OTL? Is there going to be like an Indian invasion of content like the Korean Wave IOTL?

I see that being a distinct possibility! Not sure when the timing of that would happen. But expect it sometime in the next few decades. I feel like increased closeness between the "West" (US/UK) and India could lead to interesting crossover between Hollywood and Bollywood, as well as provide the latter with bigger distribution markets. Would love to hear some ideas and feedback on this.

About the death of disco, if it just fades out rather than experience a violent backlash, the genre might evolve along similar lines in the US, as it did in Europe, eventually influencing early/mid-1990s dance music - whether that's a bad thing or a good thing, that depends on your tolerance level for cheesy pop music, I guess. :p

I also see this as a likely outcome. Future development of pop music is definitely something I plan to cover.

What’s going on with these people as of right now ITTL, Mr. President?

Lightning Round 2.5?

Carol Bellamy - Currently serving as President of the New York City Council (As per OTL)

Jimmy McMillan III - A veteran of the Cambodian Conflict ITTL, McMillan is currently finding work as an R&B musical artist in New York City.

Charlotte Pritt - Working as a high school English Teacher in her native West Virginia

Paul Wellstone - Working as a tenure-track professor at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. He's also getting involved in activism and local campaigns. Expect big things from him ITTL.

Lee Iacocca - Has just switched over from Ford to Chrysler, as per OTL. His work in Detroit sees him frequently rub noses (and form a friendly rivalry) with American Motors' young CEO, Mitt Romney.

Kelsey Grammer -Just finished up his studies at Julliard. Currently working a three year internship with the Old Globe Theater in San Diego, California.

Mike Pence - Attending Hanover College in his native Indiana. A conservative, communitarian, Catholic Democrat, Pence plans to attend law school after he graduates.

I know I've already made two requests for this timeline, but this'll probably be the last one for a while: can we also have it so Bruce Campbell has a better career ITTL?
1672100922384.png

Absolutely. The King of B-Movies is a personal favorite of mine. Expect to see him covered extensively ITTL.

Probably a bit too early to ask question but I thought I’d ask anyways will the movie Darkman still be made and if so will still have Liam Neeson as the main character, as this was what start his action movie career or will it go to Bruce like Raimi originally attended the role for I don’t mind either way.

As a fan of the James Bond films and books the Bond films of TTL sound awesome! Julian Glover as Bond is such a great choice! Those tidbits from the Bond films in Blue Skies are exciting. Any chance you could go into more details on the Bond franchise in a whole update?

Probably a bit too early to ask question but I thought I’d ask anyways will the movie Darkman still be made and if so will still have Liam Neeson as the main character, as this was what start his action movie career or will it go to Bruce like Raimi originally attended the role for I don’t mind either way.
Give me the elephant!

Julian Glover getting to be Bond is terrific casting, I'm very glad he gets a bigger break in this timeline at least!

I'd honestly never heard the name before, so I image searched him; he looked familiar in a couple of them, then I hit on the AT-AT commander image and I'm like "Oh! That guy!" Yeah, I can see him as Bond.
Yeah, this face just seemed like 007 to me. :) I also find him to be an underrated performer IOTL.

Attachments

• julian-glover-a018cf92-c74e-4305-854a-7fa0fc467c3-resize-750.jpg
    julian-glover-a018cf92-c74e-4305-854a-7fa0fc467c3-resize-750.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 109
Just so that we’re clear Mr. President, who are the current leaders of the Philippines and Indonesia? Did Emmanuel Pelaez stay on as Diosdado Macapagal’s Vice President in 1965 or did he still leave and then won the 1969 election? What happened to Gerardo Roxas and Ferdinand Marcos? Who will succeed Mohammad Hatta when he passes away in 1980? And what ended up happening to Suharto?

I'd honestly never heard the name before, so I image searched him; he looked familiar in a couple of them, then I hit on the AT-AT commander image and I'm like "Oh! That guy!" Yeah, I can see him as Bond.
He also played Grand Maester Pycelle in Game of Thrones and an alien villain in the classic Doctor who episode City of Death in 1979

Just so that we’re clear Mr. President, who are the current leaders of the Philippines? Did Emmanuel Pelaez stay on as Diosdado Macapagal’s Vice President in 1965 or did he still leave and then won the 1969 election? What happened to Gerardo Roxas and Ferdinand Marcos?
This is where the fun begins geniuses! I want to ask also if Arsenio Lacson (Mayor of Manila City) is still going to die ITTL? Because if he lives, he was supposed to be the standard bearer of the Nacionalista Party for Philippine President in the 1965 General Elections. He would've been the greatest president ITTL. If President Macapagal win again in 1965, Pelaez would still be his VP and he would've copy President Kennedy's liberal and progressive policies that would improve of every Filipinos like me ITTL. We might have improved laws for healthcare, environment, education, social security, free press, and etc. Gerardo Roxas would run for president either '73 or '77 ITTL. Marcos, Sr. would either switch to Nacionalista or stay at Liberal because he joined there in 1947 by President Manuel Roxas. I really hope Marcos, Sr. would lose at every election he run for president because like I said before, he served as president for 20 years. I just want my country to have progress and prosperity for us Filipinos. We have a wonderful economy and few debts to pay before he became president. It won't happen again this time geniuses and I want what is best for us.

Last edited:
Hey there, just wanted to say I've been a quiet follower of your Blue Skies TL for a few years and have been truly amazed with what you have created. You should be so proud of yourself and I can't wait to see what you continue to do next! :) Should also add, I love how basically for every good thing you do, you cause a bad event to happen in its place. I love utopian-like TL's, but I also love more realistic ones like yours.

I just had a few preliminary questions regarding the TL, if you don't mind answering my curiosities:
1. Since Ronnie Wood does NOT join the Stones in your TL, what happens to him instead? Why do they go for Dreja instead? What happens to Rod Stewart and the Faces here?

2. Does Yoko Ono release albums with Phil Ochs, in a similar manner to how she collaborated with John IOTL?

3. Does Bob Dylan have any posthumous albums come out after his 1966 death?

4. What happens to Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers and Michael McDonald?

5. What happens to Diana Ross? I see there's a few changes you have made to her career trajectory, like her not being in the Wiz. Forgive me, as I am not 100% familiar with the TL as there is a lot you have covered, so you if you've already answered one of these questions, I apologise. I tried searching through the TL to make sure I didn't waste your time, but I still could have potentially missed something.

6. What happens to Brian Wilson beyond 1967?

7. What happens to Genesis? Does Peter Gabriel still leave to have Phil Collins become the singer?

8. Besides John's film career, do the Beatles do any solo projects in the years you've discussed in your TL?

9. Does Chuck Leavell still join the Allman Bros, and does Berry Oakley live?

Thanks again for your time and your writing. If you're looking for some more pop culture celebrities (musicians and actors namely) to discuss in the future, I am more than happy to PM you some suggestions. Hope you have a great new year! :)