Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

All very good ideas. Am curious how characters with diabetes or visual impairments might be used in later books, films and so on. I'm sure the Baby-Sitter's Club would sstill be created in 1986, as it was in our timeline. May also have possible suggestions for the Star Wars prequels, if they're made in this TL.

Hmm…

Maybe Badfinger can make it big without them being screwed over ITTL? I could imagine “Baby Blue” becoming a famous song here ITTL with bigger and better coverage and exposure, with peopling humming the theme and lyrics around the world earlier than IOTL.

As for shows that will or won’t exist:
-The Sorpranos probably still exists, since IIRC the Mafia is still declining like IOTL, although since David Chase originally intended for it too be a movie, maybe here ITTL it is one instead of a TV Show, released in 1999 as a crime drama starring James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
- Breaking Bad most likely doesn’t exist due to the United States’ more progressive and reconciliatory path instead of just punishing and vilifying society’s problems, especially with the butterflies between 1962 and 2008 meaning that it wouldn’t exist let alone be the juggernaut it is well-known as today, but I could imagine Vince Gilligan doing something great with Bryan Cranston assuming they still meet ITTL. Hopefully Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito, and Dean Norris can still find themselves work ITTL.
- Maybe in an opposite to David Chases’s Sopranos ITTL, David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive is a television series that premieres in 2001 starring Naomi Watts.
- Grimm probably doesn’t exist, with there being some different dark fairy tale television show on the 2000s, but I hope that the main cast; David Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Bitsie Tulloch, Jacqueline Toboni, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz, Reggie Lee, Bree Turner, and Claire Coffee can all still find work ITTL, as I considered their acting to be quite good on that show, even if the series itself is nowhere near as famous or popular as other television shows on at the time.
- Spider-Man is probably adapted earlier in the 90s with Leonardo DiCaprio or somebody else in the lead role as the wall crawler himself, although hopefully Willem Dafoe, Alfred Molina, and J. K. Simmons can still make appearances here.
- Maybe Animorphs will be an actually successfully made kids show here? If the books still exist and are made that is.
- Unless it still happens ITTL, James Cameron doesn’t make The Terminator because it was based on a fever dream he had in Rome while filming for a movie in 1982.
- Due to the very different climate that Hollywood and celebrities will find themselves in here in the coming decades, I would imagine that Bojack Horseman or an equivalent series would be very different here.
- The Simpsons are definitely still created by Matt Groening, South Park by Matt Stone and Trey Parker could still exist, alongside Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill by Mike Judge, Family Guy probably not so much by Seth McFarlane as it could be replaced by something else, or that MacFarlane instead pursues a career in singing due to him being a big Frank Sinatra fan, and all of those awful rip-offs of both shows that plague the adult animation world up until this very day? Absolutely not and thank goodness for that! I would like Clone High by Phil Lloyd and Chris Miller to still exist here, but considering the butterflies it might not, but maybe it will just with a different cast of historical figures, especially if JFK is still alive by the time of the secret government operation beginning sometime in the 1980s.
- Depending on what happens to John K. ITTL, we may or may not get Ren and Stimpy, which would mean big changes to the animation industry if that is the case.
- Hopefully The Bill Cosby Show is replaced by a better show for African-Americans to enjoy.
- Kingdom of the Sun replaces The Emperor’s New Groove?
- Border 1939 could end up being finished ITTL by Studio Ghibli.
- Disney’s Chicken Little could follow its earlier drafts when Little was a girl who still had both of her parents, with her being sent to a summer camp where the staff have been kidnapped and replaced by hungry wolves who want to eat the campers.
- Michael Moore may or may not have a career here since both Columbine and 9/11 both definitely do not happen here ITTL.
- The Works could be finished here and become the first CGI feature film before Toy Story by 9 years.
- Stanley Kubrick directs the film adaptation of George Orwell’s famous novel 1984?
- Hopefully Tom Six never steps a foot inside the film industry ITTL.
- Kevin Spacey might get exposed earlier and hence House of Cards would be different without him in it.
- Harvey Weinstein hopefully gets exposed earlier pre-2000 and hence the Weinstein Company never exists.
- Back to the Future most likely still exists here, but the sequels might be different here, and will probably be released earlier in 1987 and 1989 respectively.
- Stanley Kubrick makes Napoleon.
- Quientin Tarantino does not lose any of his first film project My Best Friend’s Birthday in 1987.
- Home Alone has no sequels, and Macually Culkin has a better career and life here ITTL.
- Ke Huy Quan wins an Oscar earlier due to there being better Asian representation in American films here ITTL and makes a similar emotional and powerful speech to what he said in OTL 2023?
- One of Spike Lee’s films, possibly Do the Right Thing, wins an Academy Award for Best Picture, alongside Ang Lee and one of his films? And that Brokeback Mountain or it’s equivalent ITTL wins the Academy Award for Best Picture instead of Crash (a fitting name for a car crash of a film)?
- Maybe animators like Genndy Tartakovsky, C. H. Greenblatt, Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust, Alex Hirsch, Matt Braly, and Dana Terrace can still find work here?
- Perhaps the first onscreen same-sex kiss on an animated television show happens years earlier here? Alongside other LGBT achievements for television and film aswell?
I love all these suggestions. Though if Breaking Bad it would be a shame but I think you're right with the butterflies and the more progressive and rconciliatory tone it would probably not get made and if it does would probably be very different. I'm definitely hoping Brokeback Mountain gets the award it deserves it was robbed in OTL.

Hmm…

Maybe Badfinger can make it big without them being screwed over ITTL? I could imagine “Baby Blue” becoming a famous song here ITTL with bigger and better coverage and exposure, with peopling humming the theme and lyrics around the world earlier than IOTL.

As for shows that will or won’t exist:
-The Sorpranos probably still exists, since IIRC the Mafia is still declining like IOTL, although since David Chase originally intended for it too be a movie, maybe here ITTL it is one instead of a TV Show, released in 1999 as a crime drama starring James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
- Breaking Bad most likely doesn’t exist due to the United States’ more progressive and reconciliatory path instead of just punishing and vilifying society’s problems, especially with the butterflies between 1962 and 2008 meaning that it wouldn’t exist let alone be the juggernaut it is well-known as today, but I could imagine Vince Gilligan doing something great with Bryan Cranston assuming they still meet ITTL. Hopefully Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito, and Dean Norris can still find themselves work ITTL.
- Maybe in an opposite to David Chases’s Sopranos ITTL, David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive is a television series that premieres in 2001 starring Naomi Watts.
- Grimm probably doesn’t exist, with there being some different dark fairy tale television show on the 2000s, but I hope that the main cast; David Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Bitsie Tulloch, Jacqueline Toboni, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz, Reggie Lee, Bree Turner, and Claire Coffee can all still find work ITTL, as I considered their acting to be quite good on that show, even if the series itself is nowhere near as famous or popular as other television shows on at the time.
- Spider-Man is probably adapted earlier in the 90s with Leonardo DiCaprio or somebody else in the lead role as the wall crawler himself, although hopefully Willem Dafoe, Alfred Molina, and J. K. Simmons can still make appearances here.
- Maybe Animorphs will be an actually successfully made kids show here? If the books still exist and are made that is.
- Unless it still happens ITTL, James Cameron doesn’t make The Terminator because it was based on a fever dream he had in Rome while filming for a movie in 1982.
- Due to the very different climate that Hollywood and celebrities will find themselves in here in the coming decades, I would imagine that Bojack Horseman or an equivalent series would be very different here.
- The Simpsons are definitely still created by Matt Groening, South Park by Matt Stone and Trey Parker could still exist, alongside Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill by Mike Judge, Family Guy probably not so much by Seth McFarlane as it could be replaced by something else, or that MacFarlane instead pursues a career in singing due to him being a big Frank Sinatra fan, and all of those awful rip-offs of both shows that plague the adult animation world up until this very day? Absolutely not and thank goodness for that! I would like Clone High by Phil Lloyd and Chris Miller to still exist here, but considering the butterflies it might not, but maybe it will just with a different cast of historical figures, especially if JFK is still alive by the time of the secret government operation beginning sometime in the 1980s.
- Depending on what happens to John K. ITTL, we may or may not get Ren and Stimpy, which would mean big changes to the animation industry if that is the case.
- Hopefully The Bill Cosby Show is replaced by a better show for African-Americans to enjoy.
- Disney’s Chicken Little could follow its earlier drafts when Little was a girl who still had both of her parents, with her being sent to a summer camp where the staff have been kidnapped and replaced by hungry wolves who want to eat the campers.
- Michael Moore may or may not have a career here since both Columbine and 9/11 both definitely do not happen here ITTL.
- The Works could be finished here and become the first CGI feature film before Toy Story by 9 years.
- Stanley Kubrick directs the film adaptation of George Orwell’s famous novel 1984?
- Hopefully Tom Six never steps a foot inside the film industry ITTL.
- Kevin Spacey might get exposed earlier and hence House of Cards would be different without him in it.
- Harvey Weinstein hopefully gets exposed earlier pre-2000 and hence the Weinstein Company never exists.
- Back to the Future most likely still exists here, but the sequels might be different here, and will probably be released earlier in 1987 and 1989 respectively.
- Stanley Kubrick makes Napoleon.
- Quientin Tarantino does not lose any of his first film project My Best Friend’s Birthday in 1987.
- Home Alone has no sequels, and Macually Culkin has a better career and life here ITTL.
- Ke Huy Quan wins an Oscar earlier due to there being better Asian representation in American films here ITTL and makes a similar emotional and powerful speech to what he said in OTL 2023?
- One of Spike Lee’s films, possibly Do the Right Thing, wins an Academy Award for Best Picture, alongside Ang Lee and one of his films? And that Brokeback Mountain or it’s equivalent ITTL wins the Academy Award for Best Picture instead of Crash (a fitting name for a car crash of a film)?
- Maybe animators like Genndy Tartakovsky, C. H. Greenblatt, Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust, Alex Hirsch, Matt Braly, and Dana Terrace can still find work here?
- Perhaps the first onscreen same-sex kiss on an animated television show happens years earlier here? Alongside other LGBT achievements for television and film aswell?
These are all excellent ideas! :D I definitely plan on having Kubrick get to make his Napoleon and the idea of him directing an adaptation of 1984? Magnificent.

Specifically on Badfinger, with Apple Corps. surviving ITTL, I see Badfinger having a much longer and more prolific career ITTL. I'm a big fan of theirs and would definitely like to see them do well here.

I love all these suggestions. Though if Breaking Bad it would be a shame but I think you're right with the butterflies and the more progressive and rconciliatory tone it would probably not get made and if it does would probably be very different. I'm definitely hoping Brokeback Mountain gets the award it deserves it was robbed in OTL.
Why thank you! Yeah I do hope that there is a show like Breaking Bad ITTL that gains just as much popularity and fame and earns the right to have a 9.5 out of 10 on IMDB.

These are all excellent ideas! :D I definitely plan on having Kubrick get to make his Napoleon and the idea of him directing an adaptation of 1984? Magnificent.

Specifically on Badfinger, with Apple Corps. surviving ITTL, I see Badfinger having a much longer and more prolific career ITTL. I'm a big fan of theirs and would definitely like to see them do well here.
Indeed Mr. President! I’m happy to know that Badfinger is having a happier path here ITTL, alongside Stanley Kubrick’s enrichened filmography consisting of two classics.

And also here is an old post of mine about I thought about the future of this timeline here:
While we await for the next chapter, I've decided to throw in some of my predictions for the future of this timeline. These are just predictions, however, and they may not be correct.

- The early 1980s become famous for being a significantly progressive era in American (and possibly wider World) history, with continued acceptance of women and LGBT folk into the mainstream and positions of popularity and power.
- I do think Nixon, or at the very least Rumsfeld, will become president. There's just too much foreshadowing and hype build-up for me to think otherwise. My best guess for the reasoning is either something related to HIV/AIDS, Iran, or the economy, or maybe the more conservative/reactionary/traditional folk trying to create a backlash against the increasingly progressive wave of changes. But the presidency doesn't go well, with it quickly becoming infamous for one reason or another, eventually causing the president to resign, get impeached, or get kicked out after one term.
- The Beatles break up within the next 5 years, but definitely reunite at a later date. For some reason I have a feeling it will be December 8th, 1980, because of parallels.
- The Video Game Crash might still happen, with Nintendo helping pull the industry out of its hole and get it back on its feet like OTL, but I could also imagine that Atari somehow manages to survive aswell, which would spell very interesting things for the history of video gaming.
- The Simpsons still exist. Not sure what happens to it, but I assume it still becomes an iconic pop-culture juggernaut in the 90s before slowly begging to decline in later years.
- The 90s I could imagine would still be pretty recognizable. Sitcoms, Saturday morning cartoons, memorable blockbuster movies, Blue hedgehog vs Red plumber rivalry, etc. I would imagine that due to the more successful progressive movements (such as the Rainbow Coalition), the LA Riots, along with the events that led up to it, would be butterflied. The OJ Simpson Car Chase, Waco Seige, Oklahoma City Bombing, Princess Diana's Car Crash, and other notable violent events are also probably butterflied, changed significantly, or are replaced by alternate but similar events (i.e like how JFK wasn't assassinated, while GWR was.)
- I'm expecting the UAR to try to pull off something similar to the OTL Invasion of Kuwait, which will lead into something similar to the OTL Gulf War, which could then evolve into an invasion like OTL 2003. I'm just certain that while Saddam Hussien is luckier ITTL in the terms of his own personal gain with more land and people to rule over, I'm also feeling like he will just have as big of a downfall.
- Pop culture-wise, there would be alot of interesting possibilities. There are of course a few obvious examples; Cobain, Selena, Tupac, Biggie, Zappa, Farley, Phoenix, etc. As mentioned earlier, Atari's downfall in the 80s might get butterflied, which could possibly mean that the Console Wars turn out differently. Gargoyles, Sliders, Freaks and Geeks, and other television shows could be affected, perhaps for the better?
- Harry Potter still probably is released in 1997, and becomes a best seller and pop culture icon as IOTL. But, perhaps with the more progressive environment, Joane can actually implement some of what IOTL would've been retcons, as part of the original story, such as Hermione being biracial or Dumbledore being gay. It would probably increase the controversy among those who already despised her books IOTL, but I'd imagine it would be worth it to her.
- Possible earlier Marvel cinematic universe? I'm just here hoping Toby Maguire and J.K Simmons are somehow involved ;)
- The 2000s and 2010s are honestly kinda up in the air for me. So much could've changed by then, but at the same time, plenty of OTL stuff could show up regardless of the butterflies. Music, films, Television shows, etc.
- The internet is something that I would like to be explored later down in the timeline when we get there. OOH I could imagine that we still get blessed with Animal advice memes, Low visual-quality videos, web animations and comics, forum websites, online personalities, video game machinimas, and plenty of timeless viral videos and memes, but OTOH, dem butterflies.
- I am assuming that 2D western animated movies still start to become less and less popular after CGI movies become a thing. Maybe they survive a little longer, but I do assume by TTL's 2015 they're replaced by CGI movies, with the exception of anime/east Asian 2D animated movies.
- The 2016 US Presidential Election, I assume, doesn't become an overly infamous one? But who knows? :p
- Mars landing. I can feel it. Maybe also a moon base? ;):cool:

Also, I hope that I'm not putting much on Lincoln's shoulders. I certainly want to give him breathing space, its just that he's created such an interesting and fun world that I just want to explore and learn more about it, and I hope that I'm not asking too many questions, and asking him too much while he continues working on his amazing story. :)

Why thank you! Yeah I do hope that there is a show like Breaking Bad ITTL that gains just as much popularity and fame and earns the right to have a 9.5 out of 10 on IMDB.

Indeed Mr. President! I’m happy to know that Badfinger is having a happier path here ITTL, alongside Stanley Kubrick’s enrichened filmography consisting of two classics.

And also here is an old post of mine about I thought about the future of this timeline here:
With you're idea of LGBTQ Americans being more accepted or becoming more accepted in the 1980s you talked about a same-sex kiss happening earlier but what if instead of it happening in an animated show why not imagine it happening in a live show especially in the 80s or 90s if to show more acceptance especially in a show that would have to be very popular like maybe St.elsewhere or on E.R. Just something popular enough to make some noise and to add on to the idea that "These are people just like us who just want to love how they love."

Still More Movies & Music from 1979
There's no question that Rocky II is another one of best sequels ever, Moonraker would not be Julian Glover's last film to portray as Bond, and Mad Max stars Geoffrey Rush? All right fine, I'll allow it anyway. Off The Wall is the beginning of Michael Jackson's successful solo careers after The Jacksons. Please forgive me to add another movies like ...And Justice For All, All That Jazz, Manhattan, Monty Phyton's Life of Brian, The Warriors, and The China Syndrome. I don’t know if there's going to be also a lot of changes to this movies.
...And Justice for All - Legal comedy-drama. Directed by Norman Jewison and starring Al Pacino, Jack Warden, and John Forsythe. (Largely the same film as OTL).
The Oscar-nominated screenplay was written by Valerie Curtin and Barry Levinson. It was filmed in Baltimore, including the courthouse area. It received two Academy Award nominations: Best Actor (Pacino) and Best Original Screenplay. The film includes a well-known scene in which Pacino's character yells, "You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

All that Jazz -
Musical drama. Directed by Bob Fosse and starring Roy Scheider, Jessica Lange, Ann Reinking, and others. (Also largely the same film as OTL). A semi-autobiographical fantasy based on aspects of Fosse's life and career as a dancer, choreographer and director, the film was inspired by Fosse's manic effort to edit his film Lenny while simultaneously staging the 1975 Broadway musical Chicago. It borrows its title from the show-opener "All that Jazz" in that production.

Manhattan is not released ITTL. Woody Allen, unhappy with the finished product (as he was IOTL), here successfully convinces United Artists not to release it. In exchange for the studio agreeing not to release the film, Allen agrees to helm his next production, Stardust Memories, free of charge.

Monty Python's The Gospel According to St. Brian - Comedy. Written by and starring the Monty Python comedy troupe. Directed by Terry Jones. Shortly after the release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), Eric Idle flippantly suggested that the title of the Pythons' forthcoming feature would be Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory (a play on the UK title for the 1970 American film Patton, Patton: Ordeal and Triumph). This outburst came after he had become frustrated at repeatedly being asked what it would be called, despite the troupe not having given the matter of a third film any consideration. However, the troupe shared a distrust of organized religion, and, after witnessing the critically acclaimed Holy Grail's enormous financial turnover, confirming an appetite among the fans for more cinematic endeavors, they began to seriously consider a film lampooning the New Testament era in the same way that Holy Grail had lampooned Arthurian legend. All they needed was a plot.

Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam set to work on writing a script. They swiftly discovered however, that while both of them were irreligious, there was "shockingly little" that they could mock in the New Testament. Jesus was, in Gilliam's words, "definitely a good guy". Idle would add, "He (Jesus) isn't particularly mock-able. His teachings are all very decent stuff." After settling on the name "Brian" for the new protagonist, however, they ultimately settled on a concept: Brian as the 13th (and forgotten) disciple. The script, with additions from the other Pythons, was finally finished in January of 1978.

Brian Cohen, portrayed by Graham Chapman, is a self-proclaimed average Joe with a penchant for bad luck. As he stumbles through life trying to eke out a living (and living with his overbearing mother, Terry Jones in drag), he inadvertently becomes entangled in the life of Jesus Christ (John Cleese). Much to his dismay, Brian gets swept up by Jesus' popularity and, though he doesn't know about the whole religious element, he comes to see Jesus as a good friend.

When Brian overhears the scheming of Judas (Eric Idle) with the Pharisees, he fears for his new (and only) friend. His main goal becomes protecting Jesus from the crucifixion he knows is coming. Brian's efforts to save Jesus lead to a series of absurd, chaotic, and hilarious escapades.

He recruits his misfit group of followers, including the bumbling ex-leper (played by Michael Palin) who was healed by Jesus but still clings to his scab collection, and a radical faction known as the "People's Front of Judea" (a satirical nod to the political infighting of the time). As Brian and his motley crew attempt to thwart the crucifixion, they face numerous challenges and comedic pitfalls. They plan daring rescue missions, struggle with the Romans (including a lisping Pontius Pilate and a certain "Biggus Dickus"), and inadvertently start a series of misunderstandings that result in bizarre new religious practices.

Throughout their escapades, the Monty Python team weaves their signature humor, clever one-liners, and surreal gags. The film delivers biting satire on religious dogma, political factions, and the absurdity of hero worship, all the while celebrating the power of ordinary people who find themselves in extraordinary situations. The climax of the film occurs as Brian and his followers stage a chaotic attempt to save Jesus, which predictably goes awry, leading to a crucifixion that is more farcical than tragic.

In the end, however, as Brian watches Jesus crucified, Christ encourages Brian and the rest of his followers to "cheer up." He then leads them in a rousing musical number, imploring them to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

The Gospel According to St. Brian was a success, though perhaps not as commercially viable as Holy Grail had been. For one thing, the film carried an R-rating due to nudity, profanity, and other content. For another, it was controversial before it was even released. Many theater-goers, especially in the infamously puritanical United States, walked out of the film in protest of its alleged "blasphemy". Demonstrations were held against the film. Some even called for it to be banned. Especially controversial was the film's ending, which sees Jesus take his crucifixion in stride, and encourages his peers to do the same before leading them in song. Terry Jones defended the ending, saying, "Any religion that seeks to turn a form of torture into an icon of worship is sick in the utmost. All we did was poke fun at the idea."

Nevertheless, the film is considered very influential and has a legacy as a hilarious send-up of organized religion and overly dogmatic thinking.

EB20040618REVIEWS406180301AR.jpg

The Warriors - Action-thriller. Directed by Walter Hill. Based on Sol Yurick's 1965 novel of the same name, which was, in turn based on Anabasis by the Ancient Greek writer Xenophon. Set in a dystopian near-future New York State in 1979, the film centers on a fictitious New York City street gang who must travel 30 miles, from the north end of the Bronx to their home turf in Coney Island in southern Brooklyn, after they are framed for the murder of a respected gang leader. After reports of vandalism and violence, Paramount Pictures temporarily halted their advertising campaign and released theater owners from their obligation to show the film. Despite its initially negative reception, The Warriors has since become a cult film and has been reappraised by film critics. Starring Michael Beck, among others, the film was sort of seen as Hollywood's answer to Mad Max by film critics. The widespread success of both films has led some cultural commentators to point out that the American people (and indeed the world) felt as though a violent, apocalyptic breakdown of society itself seemed believable, if not imminent.

The China Syndrome - Disaster-Thriller. Directed by James Bridges and starring Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon, Michael Douglas, and Wilford Brimley (among others). This film is very similar to its OTL counterpart. Though well-received by critics and a modest success at the box office, ITTL, the Three-Mile Island Incident is contained and handled much better. This results in less of a media "buzz" around this film. It quickly settles into being a modest success.

...And Justice for All - Legal comedy-drama. Directed by Norman Jewison and starring Al Pacino, Jack Warden, and John Forsythe. (Largely the same film as OTL).
The Oscar-nominated screenplay was written by Valerie Curtin and Barry Levinson. It was filmed in Baltimore, including the courthouse area. It received two Academy Award nominations: Best Actor (Pacino) and Best Original Screenplay. The film includes a well-known scene in which Pacino's character yells, "You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

All that Jazz -
Musical drama. Directed by Bob Fosse and starring Roy Scheider, Jessica Lange, Ann Reinking, and others. (Also largely the same film as OTL). A semi-autobiographical fantasy based on aspects of Fosse's life and career as a dancer, choreographer and director, the film was inspired by Fosse's manic effort to edit his film Lenny while simultaneously staging the 1975 Broadway musical Chicago. It borrows its title from the show-opener "All that Jazz" in that production.

Manhattan is not released ITTL. Woody Allen, unhappy with the finished product (as he was IOTL), here successfully convinces United Artists not to release it. In exchange for the studio agreeing not to release the film, Allen agrees to helm his next production, Stardust Memories, free of charge.

Monty Python's The Gospel According to St. Brian - Comedy. Written by and starring the Monty Python comedy troupe. Directed by Terry Jones. Shortly after the release of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), Eric Idle flippantly suggested that the title of the Pythons' forthcoming feature would be Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory (a play on the UK title for the 1970 American film Patton, Patton: Ordeal and Triumph). This outburst came after he had become frustrated at repeatedly being asked what it would be called, despite the troupe not having given the matter of a third film any consideration. However, the troupe shared a distrust of organized religion, and, after witnessing the critically acclaimed Holy Grail's enormous financial turnover, confirming an appetite among the fans for more cinematic endeavors, they began to seriously consider a film lampooning the New Testament era in the same way that Holy Grail had lampooned Arthurian legend. All they needed was a plot.

Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam set to work on writing a script. They swiftly discovered however, that while both of them were irreligious, there was "shockingly little" that they could mock in the New Testament. Jesus was, in Gilliam's words, "definitely a good guy". Idle would add, "He (Jesus) isn't particularly mock-able. His teachings are all very decent stuff." After settling on the name "Brian" for the new protagonist, however, they ultimately settled on a concept: Brian as the 13th (and forgotten) disciple. The script, with additions from the other Pythons, was finally finished in January of 1978.

Brian Cohen, portrayed by Graham Chapman, is a self-proclaimed average Joe with a penchant for bad luck. As he stumbles through life trying to eke out a living (and living with his overbearing mother, Terry Jones in drag), he inadvertently becomes entangled in the life of Jesus Christ (John Cleese). Much to his dismay, Brian gets swept up by Jesus' popularity and, though he doesn't know about the whole religious element, he comes to see Jesus as a good friend.

When Brian overhears the scheming of Judas (Eric Idle) with the Pharisees, he fears for his new (and only) friend. His main goal becomes protecting Jesus from the crucifixion he knows is coming. Brian's efforts to save Jesus lead to a series of absurd, chaotic, and hilarious escapades.

He recruits his misfit group of followers, including the bumbling ex-leper (played by Michael Palin) who was healed by Jesus but still clings to his scab collection, and a radical faction known as the "People's Front of Judea" (a satirical nod to the political infighting of the time). As Brian and his motley crew attempt to thwart the crucifixion, they face numerous challenges and comedic pitfalls. They plan daring rescue missions, struggle with the Romans (including a lisping Pontius Pilate and a certain "Biggus Dickus"), and inadvertently start a series of misunderstandings that result in bizarre new religious practices.

Throughout their escapades, the Monty Python team weaves their signature humor, clever one-liners, and surreal gags. The film delivers biting satire on religious dogma, political factions, and the absurdity of hero worship, all the while celebrating the power of ordinary people who find themselves in extraordinary situations. The climax of the film occurs as Brian and his followers stage a chaotic attempt to save Jesus, which predictably goes awry, leading to a crucifixion that is more farcical than tragic.

In the end, however, as Brian watches Jesus crucified, Christ encourages Brian and the rest of his followers to "cheer up." He then leads them in a rousing musical number, imploring them to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

The Gospel According to St. Brian was a success, though perhaps not as commercially viable as Holy Grail had been. For one thing, the film carried an R-rating due to nudity, profanity, and other content. For another, it was controversial before it was even released. Many theater-goers, especially in the infamously puritanical United States, walked out of the film in protest of its alleged "blasphemy". Demonstrations were held against the film. Some even called for it to be banned. Especially controversial was the film's ending, which sees Jesus take his crucifixion in stride, and encourages his peers to do the same before leading them in song. Terry Jones defended the ending, saying, "Any religion that seeks to turn a form of torture into an icon of worship is sick in the utmost. All we did was poke fun at the idea."

Nevertheless, the film is considered very influential and has a legacy as a hilarious send-up of organized religion and overly dogmatic thinking.

The Warriors - Action-thriller. Directed by Walter Hill. Based on Sol Yurick's 1965 novel of the same name, which was, in turn based on Anabasis by the Ancient Greek writer Xenophon. Set in a dystopian near-future New York State in 1979, the film centers on a fictitious New York City street gang who must travel 30 miles, from the north end of the Bronx to their home turf in Coney Island in southern Brooklyn, after they are framed for the murder of a respected gang leader. After reports of vandalism and violence, Paramount Pictures temporarily halted their advertising campaign and released theater owners from their obligation to show the film. Despite its initially negative reception, The Warriors has since become a cult film and has been reappraised by film critics. Starring Michael Beck, among others, the film was sort of seen as Hollywood's answer to Mad Max by film critics. The widespread success of both films has led some cultural commentators to point out that the American people (and indeed the world) felt as though a violent, apocalyptic breakdown of society itself seemed believable, if not imminent.

The China Syndrome - Disaster-Thriller. Directed by James Bridges and starring Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon, Michael Douglas, and Wilford Brimley (among others). This film is very similar to its OTL counterpart. Though well-received by critics and a modest success at the box office, ITTL, the Three-Mile Island Incident is contained and handled much better. This results in less of a media "buzz" around this film. It quickly settles into being a modest success.
I love the different version of Life of Brian ITTL! It sounds more wholesome and an interesting take on Christianity by Monty Python.

Splendid, Life of Brian is one of my favorite Monty Python movies, and its TTL incarnation's seems to be an even better version 😍. The controversy surrounding it seems to trancend universes, but then again, in my opinion, anything that annoyed the so-called "Moral Majority" and other social conservatives or reactionaries is a good thing.

...And Justice For All, All That Jazz, The Warriors, and The China Syndrome were just as the same as IOTL; Manhattan wasn't exist ITTL due to Woddy Allen not liking the finished product just as IOTL; and Monty Phyton's The Life of Brian is now The Gospel According to St. Brian ITTL. I got to be honest with you geniuses, I even love this film's version ITTL even I'm a Roman Catholic. This is what I call a standard of comedy movies indeed! I've heard or learned that George Harrison of The Beatles help financed this film to be finished IOTL. Did The Beatles ITTL helped together to financed this film and together arrived and watched during the premiere night of the film? Geniuses, don't we all love to see that The Beatles help to make this movie ITTL. It would be better if they were in the movie as cameos genius! Now they're definitely going to make The Meaning of Life by 1983 to make it The Monty Phyton Trilogy.

Last edited:

I second that one Mr. President, I almost forgot about Stanley Kubrick on planning to make his version of Napoleon now that Ridley Scott is going to premiered the movie this year. Anyone in your mind who's actors and actresses ITTL are going to portray this Historical Epic? And what year in the 80's he's going to show it? I also second on him making a film adaptation of 1984 by George Orwell, which definitely he's going to premiered it on the same year as well in 1984, the hard part is what month he's going to show it ITTL? Anyone also in your mind who's actors and actresses are going to portray this Dystopian Future? With the Apple Corps at the management of Paul McCartney of The Beatles, Badfinger were in good hands ITTL along with other famous bands like Queen, Elton John, Pink Floyd, and Sex Pistols. Speaking of Sex Pistols, did Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen survived and get themselves in the rehab along with his band members? I've been meaning to asked this question for months now.

Last edited:

theres a lot to unpack here so bear with me

1. of course breaking bad gets butterflied away (it also may get butterflied away anyways without 9/11)

2. didn't really care about grimm (same thing with twilight, i just couldn't get into these girly emo takes on classic monsters)

3. at least leonardo decaprio would make a better spiderman, at least compared to toby mcquire who looked more like steve burns from blues clues (im sorta getting pokemon the first movie or young britney spears or justin timberlake vibes from this)

4. i kinda have a rough idea of what an animorphs show would look like (as there was that rpg on the gameboy color that was similar to pokemon) maybe animorphs becomes an anime instead of a live action show (if thats the case this would be the coolest 90s kids anime ever which gives me beyblade, bistro recipe or digimon vibes)

5. maybe larry and steve becomes a series instead of family guy idk, if thats the case id be hyped (if not then thats ok because seth macfarlanes 50s song covers are godlike and i always wanted to see him do a cover of mack the knife or your the top (because of mac tonight and the final ad for the twin towers before 9/11), maybe if family guy or larry and steve doesn't exist maybe we could have more adult shows in the 2000s that are like fritz the cat, please save my earth, eddsworld or helluva boss and less like mr pickles or brickleberry who knows

6. if bojack horseman is not popular, maybe aggretsuko takes its place (maybe brand new animal gets a season 2 hopfully who knows)

7. noo not ren and stimpy (thats ok that show can get pretty slow and hard to watch at times anyways, especially with its cringy scenes like where ren eats stimpys s**t or the one scene where the guy gets beaten or even that creepy scene where the guy shreds his funny bone with a cheese grater and infects it with lemon juice, salt and hot sauce) and besides john k was a creep anyways

8. hopefully we will see a show thats more like family matters and bill cosby was also a creep anyways even back then

9. its always good to see a classic disney film follow its original source material in these TLs and this is one of them

10. oh cool a grave of the fireflies sequel thats awesome

11. YES chicken little as a girl (the female characters in chicken little were always cute epsecially the duck with buck teeth) plus the original concept art from the 60s was really cute and gives me zowie from rolie polie ollie and billy hatcher vibes (with chicken little wearing a diaper and all) maybe if possible chicken little becomes the first official ABDL character (complete with the safety pin on her diaper being updated with tapes and leg cuffs idk) (now all we need is miles tails prower from sonic being a girl and im in heaven)

12. good to see that 9/11 wont happen in TTL, now i have 2 no 9/11 AUs! (also no colimbine, sign me up, unless this is similar to player two start where someone like chris chan takes eric haris's place)

13. wow this is a sick looking film, it sorta gives me reboot or bionicle vibes except cooler the music in one of the scenes kinda reminds me of thomas the tank engine which gives me nostalgia but is also new at the same time (kinda the same feeling of watching thomas or playing with legos for the first time) (a sorta taste if you will into the the y2k aesthetic which lasts longer with 9/11 not happening and all)

14. ok that would be pretty cool (a 1984 film thats less like pink floyd the wall and more like a realistic version of blade runner

15. kinda figured that because house of cards does give me jfk documentary vibes

16. back to the future 1 is an ok film (wonder what the 50s nostalgia would look like if this film is different) idk about back to the future 2 though (maybe its more like rick and morty with more emphasis on the technology idk) maybe back to the future 3 is less of a westren and more like a live action version of the tmnt game turtles in time where they dont just stop in the wild west but also the prehistoric times and the far future

17. even though i look at home alone 2 with rose tinted goggles (even more so than other live action chrismas films), home alone 1 was the superior film anyways and was also way more iconic while home alone 2 has faded into obscurity in our post 9/11 world

18. hopefully they can still find work here, most of those shows are works of art (unless you count deviantart or animation memes as cartoon material), if not i hope they get good replacements

19. i wonder if we will get a female version of a bert and ernie like duo (maybe something like noelle x suzie or alphys x undyne in undertale/deltarune but earlier (kinda like what the bronies did when they shipped rainbow dash with applejack) hopefully its as non binary as bert and ernie or the gay guy from family guy (a sorta cute x cute couple rather than the typical dom x sub couple we see most of the time in animation in OTL)

Last edited:
theres a lot to unpack here so bear with me

1. of course breaking bad gets butterflied away (it also may get butterflied away anyways without 9/11)

2. didn't really care about grimm (same thing with twilight, i just couldn't get into these girly emo takes on classic monsters)

3. at least leonardo decaprio would make a better spiderman, at least compared to toby mcquire who looked more like steve burns from blues clues (im sorta getting pokemon the first movie or young britney spears or justin timberlake vibes from this)

4. maybe larry and steve becomes a series instead of family guy idk, if thats the case id be hyped

5. if bojack horseman is not popular, maybe aggretsuko takes its place (maybe brand new animal gets a season 2 hopfully who knows)

6. noo not ren and stimpy (thats ok that show can get pretty slow and hard to watch at times anyways, epsecially with its cringy scenes like where ren eats stimpys s**t or the one scene where the guy gets beaten)

7. hopefully we will see a show thats more like family matters and bill cosby was a creep anyways even back then

8. its always good to see a classic disney film follow its original source material in these TLs and this is one of them

9. oh cool a grave of the fireflies sequel thats awesome

10. YES chicken little as a girl (the female characters in chicken little were always cute epsecially the duck with buck teeth) (now all we need is miles tails prower from sonic being a girl and im in heaven)

11. good to see that 9/11 wont happen in TTL, now i have 2 no 9/11 AUs! (also no colimbine, sign me up, unless this is similar to player two start where someone like chris chan takes eric haris's place)

12. wow this is a sick looking film, it sorta gives me reboot vibes except cooler (a sorta taste into the alternate version of the y2k asethetic that lasts longer especially with 9/11 not happening)

13. ok that would be pretty cool (a 1984 film thats less like pink floyd the wall and more like a realistic version of blade runner

14. kinda figured that because house of cards does give me jfk documentary vibes

15. back to the future 1 is an ok film (wonder what the 50s nostalgia would look like if this film is different) idk about back to the future 2 though (maybe its more like rick and morty idk)

16. even though i look at home alone 2 with rose tinted goggles, home alone 1 was the superior film anyways

17. hopefully they can still find work here, most of those shows are works of art (unless you count deviantart or animation memes as cartoon material)

18. i wonder if we will get a better lesbian or gay couple than someone like ellen degeneres (at least in OTL nothing will ever beat ellen as the first true gay person on tv unless theres someone cooler in TTL)
Glad that you shared your words with me!
no powerpuff girls, no samurai jack, no pibby, no mlp, no gravity falls, no amphibia and no owl house :'( thats alot to take in (hopefully in place of those shows we get to see animators like mr enter, vivsiepop, copper smith gordon, the zlorf, maybe even butch hartman and jhonen vasquez take their place in history) i guess because elvis was also a disco writer, i guess johnny bravo is inspired by a disco dancer as well)
Yeah, I know that sucks and I’m sad too over it, but maybe similar shows with similar characters to those IOTL will end up being made ITTL instead!

Glad that you shared your words with me!

Yeah, I know that sucks and I’m sad too over it, but maybe similar shows with similar characters to those IOTL will end up being made ITTL instead!
As long as Ben 10, Avatar the Last Airbender and Teen Titans still exists on Cartoon Network ITTL I'm all good because those three Cartoons were my childhood in early 2000s!

Apologies for not getting to this sooner. As per OTL, in the 1960s, a series of "one person, one vote" cases were decided by the Supreme Court, which resulted in a mandate of redistricting in response to the results of each census. Prior to these decisions, many states had stopped redrawing their districts. As a result of the periodic need to redistrict, political conflicts over redistricting have sharply increased. Gerrymandering is thus, unfortunately, still an issue ITTL as of 1979. As time goes on, however, this will become an area where advocates for reform may focus their efforts.

Don't worry, my friend. I didn't forget. I simply like to keep my Pop Culture updates relatively brief. Included here are details about the films and music you mentioned...

Rocky II - Sports Drama. Written by, directed by, and starring Sylvester Stallone. The film also features Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, and Burgess Meredith. The film centers around Rocky Balboa struggling to adjust to his newfound fame and family life. He is then challenged to a much-anticipated rematch with Apollo Creed. Development of Rocky II began in 1977, after Stallone completed the screenplay. Though United Artists was initially reluctant to allow Stallone to direct, he refused to be involved with the production unless he was given the green light. The studio eventually gave in. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for its characterization and Stallone's performance. It grossed $200 million worldwide and $85 million in North America, making it the third highest-grossing film of 1979 domestically and the second highest-grossing film worldwide. As far as sequels go, it's pretty darn solid.

Rocky_ii_poster.jpg

Moonraker - Spy Thriller. Directed by Lewis Gilbert. Written by Christopher Wood, adapting the novel of the same name by Ian Fleming. (Adhering much closer to the plot of the original novel than the film of OTL), Moonraker, the 11th film in the 007 Franchise sees MI6 Agent James Bond (Julian Glover) engage in a deadly game of Cold War espionage with Sir Hugo Drax (James Mason).

Drax, an enigmatic British industrialist, is entrusted by Her Majesty's Government to develop a new, state of the art ICBM for the United Kingdom's nuclear defense deterrent in the Cold War. It is claimed that the missile, codenamed "MOONRAKER", will make Britain safer, and less reliant on the United States. After a Ministry of Supply security officer working at the project is shot dead, M assigns Bond to replace him and also to investigate what has been going on at the missile-building base, located between Dover and Deal on the south coast of England. Strangely, all of the rocket scientists working on the project are German. At his post on the complex, Bond meets Gala Brand (Lois Chiles), a beautiful police Special Branch officer working undercover as Drax's personal assistant. Bond also uncovers clues concerning his predecessor's death, concluding that the man may have been killed for witnessing a submarine off the coast.

Drax's henchman Krebs (Richard Kiel) is caught by Bond snooping through his room. Later, an attempted assassination by triggering a landslide nearly kills Bond and Brand, as they swim beneath the Dover cliffs. Drax takes Brand to London, where she discovers the truth about the Moonraker by comparing her own launch trajectory figures with those in a notebook picked from Drax's pocket. She is captured by Krebs, and finds herself captive in a secret radio homing station—intended to serve as a beacon for the missile's guidance system—in the heart of London. While Brand is being taken back to the Moonraker facility by Drax, Bond gives chase, but is also captured by Drax and Krebs.

Drax tells Bond that he was never a British soldier and has never suffered from amnesia: his real name is Graf Hugo von der Drache, the German commander of a "Werewolf" commando unit. Disguised in an Allied uniform, he was the saboteur whose team placed the car bomb at the army field headquarters, only to be injured himself in the detonation. The amnesia story was simply a cover he used while recovering in hospital to avoid recognition, although it would lead to a whole new British identity. Drax remains a dedicated Nazi, bent on revenge against England for the wartime defeat of his Fatherland and his prior history of social slights suffered as a youth growing up in an English boarding school before the war. He explains that he now means to destroy London, with a Soviet-supplied nuclear warhead that has been secretly fitted to the Moonraker. His company is also selling the British pound short in order to make a huge profit from the disaster.

Brand and Bond are imprisoned where the blast from the Moonraker's engines will incinerate them, to leave no trace of them once the missile is launched. Before the launch, the couple escape. Brand gives Bond the coordinates he needs to redirect the gyros and send the Moonraker into the sea. Having been in collaboration with Soviet Intelligence all along, Drax and his henchman attempt to escape by Soviet submarine—only to be killed as the vessel makes its escape through the waters onto which the Moonraker has been re-targeted. After their debriefing at headquarters, Bond meets up with Brand, expecting her company—but they part ways after she reveals that she is engaged to a fellow Special Branch officer.

View attachment 863947
Lois_Chiles_as_Holly_Goodhead.png
View attachment 863949
Above: Julian Glover as James Bond (Moonraker would mark Glover's fourth turn as 007); Lois Chiles as Gala Brand; James Mason as Sir Hugo Drax.
Moonraker was well-received by critics and fans of the series. Especially praised were the script and the performances, with Glover and Mason in particular "shining", according to critics. Though an early draft of the script would have featured Bond going into outer space (to try and capitalize on the Star Wars craze), Wood and Gilbert decided to keep the film more grounded, both literally and figuratively. Wood was inspired by research he had done into "Operation Paperclip", the integration of ex-Nazi scientists into the West following World War II, in particular to work on the American space program. He was also inspired by recent increases in Cold War tensions, which made a nuclear detonation over London feel all the more real to his audience once again, he surmised. The only real critique against the film was that (for some) it lacked the globe-spanning scope that some had come to expect from a Bond film. Set entirely within the United Kingdom, the novel and the film both feel like a "love letter" to England, with the White Cliffs of Dover serving as a key symbol in the plot. The film also helped convince Glover to remain with the character for the time being, though he would now work on a film-by-film basis.

Mad Max - Dystopian action. Directed by George Miller and starring a debuting Geoffrey Rush as "Mad" Max Rockatansky, a police officer turned vigilante in a near-future Australia in the midst of societal collapse. Principal photography for Mad Max took place in and around Melbourne and lasted for six weeks. The film initially received a polarized reception upon its release in April 1979, although it won four AACTA Awards. Filmed on a budget of just $400,000, it earned more than US$100 million worldwide in gross revenue and set a Guinness record for the most profitable film in history. The success of Mad Max has been credited for further opening up the global market to Australian New Wave films. Originally, Rush's roommate, fellow young actor Mel Gibson was attached to the project. Gibson eventually dropped out, however, after an automobile accident just before filming was set to start left him with a broken leg. He passed the part on to Rush, whose turn was seen as suitably laconic and brooding. Rush would return as Max in 1981's Mad Max 2 and 1985's Beyond Thunderdome.

And an album...

Off the Wall was the fifth studio album by Michael Jackson. Released on August 10th, 1979, the album was Jackson's first with Epic Records. Crafted from a singular blend of disco, pop, funk, R&B, soft rock, and even Broadway ballads, the album contains lyrical themes of escapism, loneliness, liberation, hedonism, and romance. It also features songwriting contributions from such artists as Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, and David Foster. From the album, four singles: "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough"; "Rock With You"; "Off the Wall"; and "She's Out of My Life" would all reach the Billboard top 10. The first two even went to number one. A major departure from Jackson's earlier work, Off the Wall seemed to represent a breakthrough for the burgeoning "King of Pop". He finally seemed to be leaving his Motown past behind and forging a unique identity for himself.

220px-Off_the_wall.jpg
Great breakdown! Moonraker being adapted as the book is MUCH better than what we got IOTL. That image as Julian in the tux😍🤌 damn he looks perfect! So too does James Mason as Drax!

Also Geoffrey Rush in Mad Max is such a great change! He would be perfect in the role!!