Camelot Is Just A Fantasy: An alternate 1960s and beyond

Preamble
You know the 1960s is one of my favorite decades, so much tragedy and triumph in one decade from the assassination of Kennedy and Vietnam to the Civil Right movement and the Moon Landings. Of course, this all got me thinking what if someone else was in charge instead of JFK or LBJ? I would like to thank all of my supporters who may have come over (hopefully) from my first timeline For Want Of Change: A Mike Gravel 2020 timeline which was/is more of a feel-good story of an oddball candidate winning despite the odds.

This timeline however will hopefully be more realistic and is something I've been wanting to do for a while (ever since I've put off my original plans of a George Wallace Presidency timeline which may happen in the future). I'd also like to thank The Lethargic Lett for inspiring me with his amazing Eugene McCarthy timeline. without further ado, I present to you.

j3ZZrZL4a7NWzbwuRhdnECKBPnMAIWy_labkmQV3LddiTw-C_cgi-6huXLjhN7tNsEjTecuMhKnQSgjuTvnJ-p9fb3L8-TPmJrzHV9oTOCGt9_a8YEHRDHpmln5NW9kEY715aslL0_ezw5nNwA

Last edited:
Prologue
“The 43rd Presidential election in American history took place on November 6th, 1956. The day I turned negative 25 years old, uh-oh we got a rematch.

Dwight Eisenhower remained very popular and his first term went fairly well…except for having a heart attack but he had recovered from that and decided for a second term. He was easily renominated without opposition. Richard Nixon, however, was more polarizing than Eisenhower and there was a Drop-Nixon movement, Eisenhower considered it for a little while but ultimately decided to keep Nixon as his Vice President and Nixon was renominated.

Eisenhower had brought the troops home from Korea and the economy remained strong. He had proven to be a strong cold war leader as well, and he helped many Americans feel safe again. It was going to be hard for anyone to run against him but the Democrats tried{1}.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1956 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“(Adlai) Stevenson the now former Governor of Illinois decided to give it another good ol college try, however, he had a challenge in the form of Tennessee Senator Estes Kefauver.” - Excerpt from All The Way with Adlai: The Campaigns of Adlai Stevenson by Ed Larsly

j5vqPCCElUA32bD8ASkowoJjPMePoo0K6nmOzgHQoDMPr9YD9tYR65ck-LqyPpWT0gGeS_AI9mmXOSXWZGrNk2VX_lblFhM5eRJHRId7EqmOQsL4fjpDgzcvTfseyJ2Yj88aKrbWczAlKIj5kQ

Fmr. Gov. Adlai Stevenson(D-IL)

“The two participated in the very first nationally televised Presidential debate before the Florida primary{2}. In Florida Stevenson won a close contest and from there he had the momentum.

Stevenson won the nomination but to get everyone fired up he decided to let the delegates choose his running mate at Democratic Convention. This made the convention pretty darn exciting.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1956 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

SNbDawK37u-cUWpa8ovc4BjHO7F_YkiVHTtCTtjeSbaB1_BtTYQ1P2OjW8aMR0lWD3CRdRkmV0PnEKpLLR2egQBEKpBPqVf1ibu1IsPINdDmGvr8C0Mf2FRMA2K2Rtp7JsIB14BIUDd7WZ9nvg

Sen. John F. Kennedy(D-MA)

“Kennedy was a young Senator at that point however he was getting a lot of buzz at the convention, many were arguing for Kennedy to be chosen as Stevenson’s running mate (later to be called the Back Jack movement).

Some of the biggest arguments by Kennedy supporters was that Kennedy was young, good-looking, and telegenic which could aid the much older-looking Stevenson. Another was that Kennedy was good with the press which could also aid Stevenson in the general election against Eisenhower. Of course, the biggest argument was that Kennedy was a catholic and could help Stevenson attract Catholics away from Eisenhower who was popular with them.

72vdBRgq7ViQgCqC7MUFNiLXhyUxlP-FKcykkTd-_DKWsGpCwgUZJiPR2MygK3Se-PAGsLC8cLpq321tFS5joj_iV9Vun0OyT1NbP3HDaprv_3WyQm3GyidEMNNmfLdk5q8ZdZSOG1D_k3EsSg

Kennedy supporters at the 1956 DNC, many were clamoring for Kennedy a young catholic Senator from Massachusetts to be selected as Stevenson's running mate

Of course Estes Kefauver was the biggest roadblock in the path of Kennedy’s Vice Presidential nomination however the Back Jack movement{3} wasn’t going down without a fight.” - Excerpt from A Life: A Biography of JFK by James DiEugenio

“The two leading contenders were Senator Kefauver, who retained the support of his primary delegates, and John F. Kennedy, who, as a first term Senator from Massachusetts, was relatively unknown at that point. Kennedy surprised the experts by surging into the lead on the second ballot; at one point he was only 15 votes shy of winning.” - Excerpt from the 1956 Democratic National Convention Wikipedia page

EIVtQLWlbOYUrpClXJfcRbvezCGCUuPiWZC9nIqg6F4PTWn0LgT6zdQgMtMj8nS3-UrJql9cdUjyhRkd77cY7SsltmXauX7xSexpZ-eo23blUZvjrLDI2X3JiAM3XLqzsjBnh2DC6M7OTWSwiQ

Kennedy at the 1956 DNC talking to delegates on the convention floor

“Of course Jack, Bobby, and the entire Back Jack movement worked their magic. Talking to delegates and trying to make the case for why Jack was the best pick over Estes Kefauver.” - Excerpt from A Life: A Biography of JFK by James DiEugenio

“I remember Kennedy, yeah I was going to vote for Kefauver but when I talked to Kennedy he was just magnetic and well I switched over.” - Excerpt from Interview with Delegate at the 1956 DNC

1956 Democratic National Convention Vice Presidential Balloting

Sen. John F. Kennedy(D-MA) - 844 Delegates

Sen. Estes Kefauver(D-TN) - 500.5 Delegates

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 13.5 Delegates

Mayor Robert Wagner(D-NY) - 6 Delegates

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 2 Delegates

“They had done it, the Back Jack movement had won out and John F. Kennedy was nominated.” - Excerpt from Kennedy vs Kefauver: How the Back Jack movement won out an essay by Newt Gingrich{4}

1BsuCHD80ocuTqP0zZT62m0IzVou6BZt4QArY89lqb-BneoRhGMmVjAhcGMy8i8P8jnsACCpX5L15F_jwimLuXPHpP_wnhgb4A4JsqoiI_-3OkZhMuQnmxveI9wOvFuTUjGoon7N66iXSxuTnw

Sen. Estes Kefauver(D-TN) giving his concession speech at the 1956 DNC. This would be the last time Kefauver would ever run in a national election.

“Kefauver was sad he lost the nomination to Kennedy but he was cordial and conceded to him. Though by the time 1957 rolled around he (as well as some others such as Albert Gore of Tennessee) were happy they weren't on the ticket” - Excerpt from American Politics in the 50s by Ned Flanders

“Of overwhelming importance are the ever-mounting threats of our survival that confront us abroad, threats that require a prompt return to firm, decisive leadership. Each Republican year of indecision and hesitation has brought new Communist advances – in Indo-China, in the Middle East, in North Africa, in all the tense and troubled areas of the world. The Grand Alliance of the West – that chain for freedom forged by Truman and Marshall and the rest – is cracking, its unity deteriorating, its strength dissipating. We are hesitant on Suez, silent on colonialism, uncertain on disarmament, and contradictory on the other major issues of the day. And, I regret to say that once we are able to cut through the slogans and the press releases and the vague reassurances, we realize to our shock and dismay that the next four years of this hydrogen age represent the most dangerous and the most difficult period in the history of our nation{5}.” - Excerpt from John F. Kennedy’s acceptance speech at the 1956 DNC

yke9II6I3NFIOGxBEICMgaHawfwPUZ55NzpTnLfI8tMT0vZlcXNXGRUL0SsqWGirU_gBlleQ9XohQx8dUrfemNYAGt7KvJWQkHg_k-b8Edi48GMLR7XvdxouIeulA8fSNgQaVX0eqvOpNBxd4w

JFK making his acceptance speech for Vice President

“Jack was excited, he had been nominated as Vice President for Adlai Stevenson and had made a fiery speech at the convention, he was ready to campaign.” - Excerpt from My Life The Memoirs of Jackie Kennedy by Jackie Kennedy

VGqQq5njw6yASe5NvsC_STfgWIJ-cVGAtBMw1oOKuDcTxmMkZXqfdDFo8Fxux22wzFTsBfmizwdDielFx5KzMWKzezYJV33iLSicNyQuBqD5MZUFmzVyrHZwAAAnGFCehlJRA3cMhhiTckL8_Q

Stevenson(Left) and Kennedy(Right) campaigning

“With Kennedy’s fiery speech they were off to the races. The Democrats campaigned fiercely against Eisenhower and Nixon, the Stevenson campaign called for getting rid of the draft, lowering military spending, ending nuclear bomb testing (which was kind of getting out of control), and expanding social programs for the needy.

As things were going pretty well for the country Eisenhower campaigned on his record. And he won the support of many African Americans with the support of the Brown V Board of Education ruling. Which ended racial segregation in public schools.

This was the first election in which television ads dominated each campaign. Who knew that video could be such an effective medium?” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1956 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

1956 United States Presidential Results(from American Election.com)

Pres. Dwight Eisenhower(R-KS)/Vice Pres. Richard Nixon(R-CA): 465 Electoral Votes, 57.4%

Fmr. Gov. Adlai Stevenson(D-IL)/Sen. John F. Kennedy(D-MA): 65 Electoral Votes, 42%

Faithless Electors - 1

Ucvh-fwGqU8KrJC7CRkHmQ-iq9GxJUN53ouCkiv3sCd75ryLR9KA_YvaQHOz5Qtu2vlWsKYvGSbQNnEmbGnAfBU2_VCTP2w6zl9cMnBE4iU45slkEpMTo6VqycQcXUpao0qEvA0RA0vrsbsXSg

Map of the 1956 Presidential election

“Jack’s dreams of being President were dashed. Everyone knew it, me, him, and his family all knew that he would never be President after that election.” - Excerpt from My Life The Memoirs of Jackie Kennedy by Jackie Kennedy

Author Notes
1. I love Mr. Beat he's one of my favorite history YouTubers, he takes complex things such as Iran-Contra and breaks them down into digestible bits. You'll be seeing a lot of him in this timeline, right now thought nothing is different about this video aside from Beat mentioning the Drop Nixon movement though things will change as the timeline progresses.

2. People talk about the debates between Nixon and Kennedy(well get to those later), however four years earlier there was a televised debate between Stevenson and Kefauver which is technically the first televised Presidential debate(as far as I know) though it was held during the primary and not the general election.

3. This is just a name I came up with nothing too special.

4. Yeah this is something I like to do a lot in any alternate history, Newt Gingrich instead of being a politician is a historian hope you all have fun with it as I do.

5. This is from the same speech Kennedy gave IOTL, I figure he could use it as his acceptance speech.

Whelp there we go we're off to the races with our first big POD hope you guys are excited for the rest of it.

Last edited:
Interesting, although I don't really buy the idea that Kennedy being on the vice presidential ticket would eliminate him from being the 1960 candidate. But I'm interested to see who you put as the 1960 candidate

Interesting, although I don't really buy the idea that Kennedy being on the vice presidential ticket would eliminate him from being the 1960 candidate. But I'm interested to see who you put as the 1960 candidate
Maybe but I needed some way to take Kennedy out of the equation, also it's someone you will never expect.

Defeated VPs have often run for President n ext time-Warren, Lodge, Muskie,Shriver,Dole..
True though they didn't exactly do very well when they did save for Lodge and Dole (who was nominated decades after being the VP nominee in 76).

For 1960 candidates, Humphrey and LBJ seem like the obvious choices, although someone like Kefauver would be interesting

Campaign announcements
“The Democrats knew they had to nominate someone exciting to get back into the White House.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“The Presidency is the most powerful office in the Free World. Through its leadership can come a more vital life for our people. In it are centered the hopes of the globe around us for freedom and a more secure life. For it is in the Executive Branch that the most crucial decisions of this century must be made in the next four years--how to end or alter the burdensome arms race, where Soviet gains already threaten our very existence--how to maintain freedom and order in the newly emerging nations--how to rebuild the stature of American science and education--how to prevent the collapse of our farm economy and the decay of our cities--how to achieve, without further inflation or unemployment, expanded economic growth benefiting all Americans--and how to give direction to our traditional moral purpose, awakening every American to the dangers and opportunities that confront us.

These are among the real issues of 1960. And it is on the basis of these issues that the American people must make their fateful choice for their future.

In the past 40 months, I have toured every state in the Union and I have talked to Democrats in all walks of life. My candidacy is therefore based on the conviction that I can win both the nomination and the election.

I believe that any Democratic aspirant to this important nomination should be willing to submit to the voters his views, record and competence in a series of primary contests. I am therefore now announcing my intention of filing in the New Hampshire primary and I shall announce my plans with respect to the other primaries as their filing dates approach.{1}” - Excerpt from Sen. Albert Gore’s announcement speech, January 2nd ,1960

“ I believe enduring peace must have deep roots in the minds and hearts of people. Peace can sink roots only in a world free from poverty, hunger, disease, ignorance and greed.

I believe our so-called surpluses of food and fiber can be a potent weapon for peace. My "Food for Peace" plan calls for America to use farm abundance to combat starvation and poverty in the breeding grounds of war.
As a man who struggled for his own education, as a former college professor, and as a parent with the problem of educating four children, I have a keen interest in the nation's schools.{2}” - Excerpt from Sen. Hubert Humphrey’s announcement speech, January 12th, 1960

“Governor DiSalle: I’m in” - Columbus Dispatch headline, February 9th, 1960

“Senator Kennedy: I will not run!” - Boston Globe headline, February 9th, 1960

“It was a chilly day when former Governor Averell Harriman announced his intentions to run for the Presidency in the upcoming election.” - Excerpt from The New York Times, February 12th, 1960

Author Notes
1. This is from Kennedy's announcement speech I figured it would be a good speech for Gore.

2. All of this was taken from Humphrey's 1960 campaign brochure and I used that to make a speech for Humphrey.

Sorry if all of this was boring I just figured I would drop this while I finished up some things for the Primary and Convention. Hopefully, the next post should be more exciting.

Last edited:

marktaha

Banned
Maybe but I needed some way to take Kennedy out of the equation, also it's someone you will never expect.

True though they didn't exactly do very well when they did save for Lodge and Dole (who was nominated decades after being the VP nominee in 76).
Muskie frontrunner in 1972 until blew it with Nixon's help.

1960 Democratic Primary
“Of course many were waiting for others such as former Maine Governor and current Senator Edmund Muskie to jump in(he didn’t). Others were hoping that Massachusetts Senator and 1956 Vice Presidential nominee John F. Kennedy would change his mind and jump in(he didn’t and would state correctly so that he had no chance of winning the nomination). There was also Senator Estes Kefauver who instead endorsed his fellow Tennessee Senator Albert Gore.

With that, the Democratic primary was an interesting one, filled with many candidates and such who were not everyone's first choice. Though some such as Albert Gore who as previously mentioned had the backing of Estes Kefauver, there was also Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson of Texas and Senator Stuart Symington of Missouri both of whom ran but did not actively run in the primaries and instead were hoping to be nominated at the convention, many historians have noted and pointed out that if they did indeed jump into the race they could have won the nomination instead of the man who did.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

vP_yc6MQPQVMik_xXiyOQcU_x0-K6khdbcult0BJTI_2BEnTguAWlfao47nRaex2iqZ6L4-wGFkGRUPonDV8lIH9mjZ8RjVqMQQspzy-JafQmIxFtS2t1FYNVVOXoSr0lvX6Pg7t1LwRGENAwg

Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson(D-TX) bypassed the primaries and was hoping to be nominated at the convention

“Kennedy wanted to jump in but he (Jack), his wife, and brother (Bobby) knew he didn’t stand a chance. Not after what happened in 56, hell the party bosses were scared shitless to put another catholic on the bottom of the ticket no way in hell they would back one to be on top.” - Excerpt from Kennedy by Theodore Sorensen

“Gore had the backing of Kefauver but he knew he needed more. He had to prove himself to the party bosses that he could win northern states, so he set out to do just that in the primary by announcing that he would run in the New Hampshire primary.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

-IagZY0ThnlLLyIfG9BXwGSnmoLKlOIj2YOL-EnQImcsCSjLVjauUyXhianG5ZZG17sEj-Bfc0cs_Q7Oxe5pZm9khkgIEHvuLmsV4hpP3YFJj-suIlqem_1oAtbOlDXfs7Hhx9gUmmxYw08IBA

Gore(left) and Kefauver(right), Kefauver was a major supporter of Albert Gore in the 1960 election

“Of course, Gore’s first big test would be the New Hampshire primary which was expected to go to the former Governor of New York Averell Harriman(or Harry-Man as many Gore supporters would call him{1}). Despite this Gore ran a frenetic campaign in which he often compared his background to that of Harriman’s which would be something he would do more and more as the primary went on. The results were both expected and a shock all at once.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 New Hampshire Democratic Primary Results(from PrimaryElections.com)

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 33%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 25%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 16.67%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 12.50%

Undecided/Other - 12.50%

“Harriman’s victory in New Hampshire was far less than expected, he only received about 33% while Gore who got 25% wasn’t too far behind like many(including Harriman himself) predicted. It seemed Harriman’s strategy of ignoring Gore and instead focusing on other candidates such as Hubert Humphrey or Michael DeSalle whom he saw as much bigger threats than Gore had backfired.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

xbsf-_qyDjmpB-qsGl-80ardZKX8NJtdAioRAtLUv9EBctkBhj76Bf8Sk0it5zBvgDHYjm0Sju8OLGNGCIjUa7P-ymX58KOTpKEoCejfqVjnKOKf-UV1hzaEBub0elO8QyWUGEjkjVfsshpYWw

Fmr. Gov. W. Averell Harriman(D-NY) was seen by many as one of the initial frontrunners for the 1960 Democratic nomination.

“With his big second-place finish behind Harriman Gore looked ahead to Wisconsin which he was again expected to lose. This time to Minnesota Senator Hubert Humphrey.

Hubert Humphrey was a Senator of Minnesota and former Mayor of Minneapolis who Gore had competed against back in 1956 for the Vice Presidential slot(neither man had won that honor would go to Senator Kennedy). Humphrey was a man whom many said was running on a radical platform in 1960 and was known for his feverish support for civil rights. Despite this Humphrey had the almost complete backing of big labor and the labor unions.

Of course, Gore would run another exciting campaign visiting mostly the rural areas knowing that Humphrey would dominate the big cities.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Wisconsin Democratic Primary Results(from PrimaryElections.com)

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 39.29%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 35.71%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 16.67%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harrima(D-NY) - 5.95%

Undecided/Other - 2.38%

“Gore had once again come not too far behind Humphrey(who had made the same mistake as Harriman and ignored Gore for the most part). No one could deny that Gore was becoming a major player. “ - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“Gore looked to Illinois to be his first win in a northern state. He was hoping that his momentum from coming in a not too distant second in both New Hampshire and Wisconsin would help carry him to victory in Illinois.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

“All of the campaigns descended upon Illinois hoping for something. Harriman and Humphrey were hoping to win and stop Gore from gaining more momentum. While Gore looked to finally win a northern state and gain more momentum heading into the other primaries.

After many fierce weeks of campaigning April 12th would come and go.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Illinois Democratic Primary Results(from PrimaryElections.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 32.26%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 25.81%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 24.52%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 17.42%

“Gore had done it, he had finally won a northern state.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

1960 New Jersey Democratic Primary Results(from PrimaryElections.com)

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 34.92%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 33%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 24.60%

Undecided/Other - 7.14%

“Despite his narrow victory over Gore in New Jersey(most likely due to its closeness to New York) this would be Harriman’s final victory.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“After my father’s narrow loss in New Jersey, he had to make a call before the next primary. I remember this night vividly, I wanted to play with my parents when (father) said he needed to make a call. I asked my mother what dad was going on about but she just said not to mind it.” - Excerpt from A Better World: My Father’s times and how it shaped me by Albert Gore, Jr.

“I remember the night (Jack) received a call from (Gore). It was a quiet night and me and Jack were watching Television when the phone rang.” - Excerpt from My Life The Memoirs of Jackie Kennedy by Jackie Kennedy

The following is an excerpt from a phone conversation between John F. Kennedy and Albert Gore

Kennedy: Hello Senator Kennedy.

Gore: Jack how are you?

Kennedy: Good evening Al I’m doing fine you?

Gore: Good now uh I need to talk to you.

Kennedy: I figured as much…what about?

Gore: Listen Jack I need you to endorse me before the Massachusetts primary{2}.

Kennedy: I’m sorry Al but I can’t do-

Gore: Look Jack if you endorse me I’ll give you a cabinet spot.

Kennedy: I’d much rather be on the ticket.

Gore: Jack be reasonable.

Jack: I am.

Gore: Jack you're not gonna be the nominee and god forbid I nor anyone else could put you on the ticket. It’s nothing about you being catholic but you were on the ticket in 56. I’m sorry Jack.

Kennedy: So what? You're gonna give me a good for nothing cabinet spot?!

Gore: It’s not good for nothing I’d let you choose Jack…look Jack your career is dead what do you got left to lose? Think about it Jack I’ll even give Bobby a spot if you want just think about it.

Kennedy: Make it State and make Bobby chief of staff and you got a deal.

Gore: It’s a deal.

Kennedy: I’ll whip up a speech…I look forward to working with you Mr. President.

“What did Jack have to lose? He wasn’t gonna be put on the ticket he had the stench of 56 on em, at least a secretary of state (Jack) could start to rehabilitate his image among the party bosses.” - Excerpt from Kennedy by Theodore Sorensen

“Jack did the best he could, though he wanted to be President so badly it just wasn’t in the cards. Especially with what happened later{3}.” - Excerpt from My Life The Memoirs of Jackie Kennedy by Jackie Kennedy

“ It is with great honor that I must endorse my friend and fellow Senator Albert Gore for President! I encourage my supporters to vote for Gore in their upcoming Primaries.” - Excerpt from John F. Kennedy’s endorsement speech of Albert Gore

“Welp, the endorsement worked and Gore won big when the time came.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Massachusetts Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 69.23%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 13.19%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 12.09%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 5.49%

“Also held on the same day was the Pennsylvania primary which held some interesting results.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Pennsylvania Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 41.40%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 32.80%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 20.97%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 4.84%

“With his dreadful showing in Pennsylvania (not even getting 5%) DiSalle switched over to only being a favorite son candidate in his native Ohio.

In other news, Humphrey and Harriman (despite their thrashing in Massachusetts) saw Pennsylvania as a sign that they could defeat Gore and thus halt (or at least slow down) his momentum. Thus they both challenged Gore to a debate held on April 30th, ahead of the primaries in Indiana, DC, and Ohio{4}. Gore accepted and thus the three men had a debate with each other, this debate has been noted by some historians as being the final nail in the coffin for Harriman as both Gore and Humphrey brought up his recent loss in the 1958 New York Governor election (which he lost by 10 points mind you).” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Indiana Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 35.29%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 23.53%

Undecided/Other - 17.65%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 14.71%

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 8.82%

1960 Ohio Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Gov. Michael DiSalle(D-OH) - 57.35%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 31.62%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 11.03%

1960 D.C. Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 40%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 30%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 20%

Undecided/Other - 10%

“Humphrey’s candidacy had gained a boost after (finally) netting a win in DC.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“Despite his losses in both Ohio and D.C. (both of which were expected) Gore’s campaign kept rolling on.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

“All the campaigns poured their hearts into West Virginia (yes that includes Harriman or Harry-man if you prefer). It was their (Humphrey’s) last chance to stop Gore.

However that was easier said than done, Humphrey had ignored Nebraska and focused solely on West Virginia but people saw Humphrey as a stalking horse for other candidates (including Johnson and Symington). As Senator Robert Byrd put it "If you are for Adlai Stevenson, Senator Stuart Symington, Senator Johnson or John Doe, this primary may be your last chance to stop Gore."

Despite this Gore never trailed Humphrey in West Virginia.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Nebraska Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 68.97%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 27.59%

Undecided/other - 3.45%

1960 West Virginia Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 35.71%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 28.57%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 21.43%

Undecided/other - 14.29%

“After his victories in Nebraska and West Virginia Gore would start to ease up on campaigning to try and recoup some energy (as he should have). Despite this it didn’t affect the next two contests.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Maryland Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 39.58%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 34.38%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 20.83%

Undecided/other - 5.21%

1960 Oregon Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 40.98%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 36.07%

Fmr. Gov. Averell Harriman(D-NY) - 11.48%

Undecided/other - 11.48%

“Whelp if Harriman needed any other signs that his campaign was dead then tying with undecided in Oregon would be it.

He wouldn’t last much longer after that and would back out before the convention.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“Gore’s campaign would finally hit a snag, even though Gore was a southerner and was backed by a good amount many saw Gore as too moderate on the ‘race issue’ as they called it.

Enter Florida Senator George Smathers to run as a favorite son candidate in Florida.

When the Gore campaign received the news that they were trailing Smathers in Florida Gore got right back into campaigning hard in Florida.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

“Many Dixiecrats were furious with Gore for refusing to sign the Southern Manifesto{5} including J. Strom Thurmond who took Gore’s refusal personally.

So in order to make sure Gore was defeated in Florida many Dixiecrats converged and campaigned on behalf of Smathers including L. Mendel Rivers who called Gore a quote “traitor to the southern cause and whites everywhere.” Gore took the attack personally and would never forgive Thurmond, Rivers, or Smathers for that matter for what he called a betrayal.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

9mg7IauixdHp68VGvlVhSu7knteqpu5_dUj01Ca3QUZZpgyR3G9ftAD7sWWbyk6dqLR3cxzcXxIROVKmGMP4j5ZPeFQp1g95SXEyFJ7NUSjwSDptLnn3BAuthH_xuyvPSTsm9zppeBfXERVDWZo

Sen. J. Strom Thurmond(D-SC) was the unofficial leader to the Dixiecrats and helped lead the charge against Gore in Florida

1960 Florida Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. George Smathers(D-FL) - 52.97%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 47.03%

“Despite the loss in a Southern state Gore made sure that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. But that didn’t mean this loss wouldn’t hurt him in more ways than one.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

l0LxHKmPjmPhjQIWBtUTi9B1Gf5FHBt1QW9LTS2ziizH-c44N4oalFdcv9o6twE2aciJM64u7rKqtIRqt8rQtYmLT6wVvPmkdMrsxVs23wHbc2bYgiuGXxhPTS2GWX2yfCFeiv55I_dItpoyEds

Sen. George Smathers(D-FL) ran as a favorite son candidate in Florida during the 1960 Democratic Primary

1960 California Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Gov. Pat Brown(D-CA) - 65.78%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 21.69%

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 12.53%

“While Gore was off trying to pry Florida from Smathers (or not lose as badly as polls showed him) he by chance left his left flank (South Dakota) open. Enter Humphrey who with the help of the DFL made it almost impossible for Gore to catch up in time for the primary. But Gore (after narrowly losing in Florida) with the aid of others (such as the Kennedys) ran an energetic campaign that would see him come not too far behind Humphrey.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 South Dakota Democratic Primary results(from PrimaryElection.com)

Sen. Hubert Humphrey(D-MN) - 50%

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN) - 43.75%

Undecided/other - 6.25%

“Despite losing the last three contests Gore had won a majority of them. However that didn’t guarantee his nomination, he still had a convention fight ahead against some of his toughest opponents.” - Excerpt from Gore: The campaign that made the man by Richard Liger

u950RmsvO3WjG6v-OEzAaQQlFaAiQ6o8ouW1hANZJp7dT-n1xwh2O2zq0_6Nb3Py4XJXxT6Ukn6cuTnQGu5zpRJlUGGV3FfJBaXeSddzfEZ254oelLNLum61YOdvSui78dhX2yhyFcAXdhasrJ8

Map of the 1960 Democratic Primary
Author Notes
1. I figured that this would be a funny nickname to give Harriman.

2. Even after being on the ticket in 56 I figured JFK would still have a large amount of influence, especially among the catholic community.

3. Foreshadowing!
That's right I've still got plans for the Kennedys.

4. This debate IOTL was only between JFK and Hubert Humphrey and was held before the West Virginia Primary on May 4th. Here It's between Gore, Humphrey, and Harriman and it's held on April 30th, before the three Primaries mentioned above in the post.

5. Gore was one of the few Southerners not to sign the Southern
Manifesto, Others included Estes Kefauver and Lyndon Johnson.

So here you guys go I was going to post this a week from now but decided to just give you guys a treat. Don't expect updates and posts to come out this rapid fire. See you guys at the
Convention

Last edited:
1960 Conventions
“You know looking back, 1960 was one of those tense conventions…certainly not as tense as others however it had its moments.” - Excerpt from an interview given by JFK shortly before his death in 1971

BiavyiH2BBcvxKrJo34B-jwGhR8Xhn0y1y_9kRa2Ky2gEVb6TC44XkXGVXkJYBrhIdrcNDVAlDC0y6uahKK8ClSp2vR21eKpXFzVvmqQIiiWR7H9S_60wgZ9QRNGVf64Xs2p3MNWrjNlT75tlw4

1960 DNC

“Gore was heading into the convention in a good spot but he still had a tough boat to row.

Gore’s biggest rivals for the nomination were Stuart Symington and Lyndon Johnson. Humphrey was a rival but not as big of a threat as the other two. Johnson was Senate Majority Leader and nicknamed “master of the senate” and was a masterful arm twister, Symington was backed by former President Harry S. Truman.

However, Gore had won a majority of the primaries (not that it mattered but it helped) and was backed by people such as the Kennedys.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

The following is an excerpt from an interview with RFK given in 1986

RFK: Me and Jack pulled Al aside and said that he had to eliminate one of his rivals so me and Jack suggested he go and talk to Symington and make out some kinda deal.

Interviewer: Why Symington?

RFK: Well we figured that he would be more negotiable and agreeable than Johnson. Also, it helped that he and Gore were friendly with each other{1}.

“Gore did indeed talk to Symington and Truman and was able to come to an agreement.

At first, it was a challenge as Symington wanted on the ticket however Gore pointed out how not too far away Tennessee and Missouri were, and thus it might not have been a good idea to put Symington on the ticket. Symington then had asked Gore to give him a spot in the administration. Gore accepted the proposal and offered Symington Secretary of Defense to which Symington agreed and subsequently withdrew his name for consideration and endorsed Gore on his way out along with Truman who also endorsed Gore.

When word of this agreement reached the ears of one Lyndon B. Johnson, he was to say…enraged.

He approached both Symington and Truman and asked (more like demanded) as to what they would endorse and support someone like Gore over him. To which former President Truman responded with “to be quite frank he’s better than you at everything especially looks and politics{2}.” This only infuriated Johnson even more though he didn't show it to anyone else.

The war between Gore and Johnson was on. And gore knew he needed more support” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“When it came time for the nomination speeches Jack of course gave the nomination speech for Gore.” - Excerpt from Kennedy by Theodore Sorensen

J7KDEhJuipGhe-kA46mUyxwVxW3tAIgvAWB3G5UOf-TGFAtjGcYNG_1Nki_8XO-nUBHEzZWpybM473mBx4olxVzH8PaJ-nnXhJhbss03jY9grErIY-3rHbdc0rsneKpGsSSVyQ1lx795sSfXzQs

JFK nominated Albert Gore at the 1960 DNC

“That “someone” may be the millions of Americans who voted for President Eisenhower but balk at his would-be, self-appointed successor. For just as historians tell us that Richard I was not fit to fill the shoes of bold Henry II—and that Richard Cromwell was not fit to wear the mantle of his uncle—they might add in future years that Richard Nixon did not measure up to the footsteps of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Perhaps he could carry on the party policies—the policies of Nixon, Benson, Dirksen, and Goldwater. But this Nation cannot afford such a luxury. Perhaps we could better afford a Coolidge following Harding. And perhaps we could afford a Pierce following Fillmore.

But after Buchanan, this nation needed a Lincoln—after Taft, we needed a Wilson—after Hoover, we needed Franklin Roosevelt . . . . And after eight years of drugged and fitful sleep, this nation needs strong, creative Democratic leadership in the White House.

That man who will bring us a strong and creative Democratic leadership is none other than my good friend Albert Gore.” - Excerpt from JFK’s nomination speech of Albert Gore at the 1960 DNC

“Eugene was a conflicted man, while in public it looked as if he had backed Lyndon B. Johnson (courtesy of Oklahoma Senator Robert Kerr) but in private it looked that he preferred Stevenson who while not running in the primaries had said he would accept the nomination if he was indeed nominated. There was also Albert Gore of Tennesee who walked in as the front runner after winning the majority of the primaries.

McCarthy was just glad his arch nemesis John F. Kennedy wasn’t running{3}.

y4sQgtwcfgM2gH91VZwz-bh5bHz3fp4XRASWQjftonN_KkCdz1R05PYabWLpDCXhRVlM0z56lUKcklfqSoWJLG329HAywOqrnDvWoo8gQH9-1d0AJp057C7UvahWqOhjiF3KUw1My5c9-ehL-d2tbJY

Eugene and Abigail McCarthy with Adlai Stevenson. Both the McCarthys were big supporters of Stevenson.

Despite not ever meeting him McCarthy had intended to give the nomination speech for Adlai Stevenson the two-time nominee and loser{4}. However, an hour or two before nomination speeches were to be given Albert Gore had called for a private meeting between himself and his allies and Stevenson and his allies such as the McCarthys.

In the meeting, Gore asked if Stevenson and his crew would support him promising a spot in his administration for Stevenson. It took some convincing but Stevenson and his crew said they would support him (though some were more begrudgingly than others). The only one who didn't was Gene McCarthy.

Eugene let Gore know that it was not personal. He just wanted to remain neutral in case Gore lost. Gore understood.” - Excerpt from The Life, Times, and Legacy of Eugene McCarthy by Robert Caro

“When the time came for nomination speeches 1956 Vice Presidental nominee and Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy nominated Gore, House Speaker Sam Rayburn nominated fellow Texan and Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson, and Minnesota Governor Orville Freeman nominated Senator Hubert Humphrey{5}.

The battle lines were drawn. And as the balloting began the war was on, Humphrey had the support of liberals and midwesterners who were skeptical of Gore while Johnson had the support of Southerners who found both Gore and Humphrey unacceptable.

Both Humphrey and LBJ tried to galvanize their supporters but it wasn’t enough and Gore prevailed on the first ballot. At 52 years of age, Albert Arnold Gore of Tennesse was Democratic nominee for President…now he just had to find a running mate.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

P8P6LHMUFpmC89fd_ohCkTbfh6AKQtSqJ6F0iopd1jHnJhtaxJuhmIDGNO3mJBPuVRvPMLRP_jR-Luf-GzHxMtKJ_xQIIOn3CnWWZVB3jeKPyoT9HZzV0S4zaJ1uyhYITtaMp6yjhWGp_iwXB88

1960 DNC

“Finding a running mate was much harder than it first seemed for Gore. thought he eventually narrowed it down to three men. Minnesota Governor Orville Freeman, Former New York Governor and 1960 Candidate W. Averill Harriman, and Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“Harriman was eliminated almost immediately, despite the primary and some of the nasty things said there were no hard feelings between Gore and Harriman it just decided that Harriman wouldn’t be a good pick for Gore.

This just left Freeman and McCarthy. The Gore camp and the Democratic Party were split, most including the party bosses wanted Gore to pick Freeman. While some including Gore himself wanted Eugene McCarthy to be picked.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“Both had pros and cons, both were young (Freeman was 42 while McCarthy was 44) both also came from the same Northern state which provided regional balance.
However, the party bosses and the Kennedys argued that Freeman was a better pick because he could help get the DFL and labor unions to back Gore, and also most importantly (for the party bosses that is) Freeman wasn’t catholic!

Yes, the party bosses believed that Adlai Stevenson's loss in the election of 1956 (by the way check my video on that election) was as big as it was in part because Kennedy who was Stevenson’s running mate in that election was a Catholic.

However, Gore argued that Stevenson would have lost no matter who was on the ticket. And that McCarthy had far more experience than Freeman (McCarthy was a Congressman for 10 years in the House before being elected to the Senate in 1958 while Freeman was a three-term Governor). Gore's two biggest arguments for McCarthy were that he could help galvanize liberal support and that he would be an olive branch to Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson since the two were friends, eventually, both the party bosses and the Kennedys relented and begrudgingly let Gore nominate Eugene McCarthy.

As a compromise of course, if McCarthy declined then Gore would pick Freeman however if McCarthy accepted then Freeman would get a cabinet spot.{6}”- Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

S8N0NjpQtQzgQ1MvO6FUYwJ0fLkRPLhfYWR5tQKFqkneR70sczxE_tf78SprVqDWBg7Hy0m9khGNiE0Xp5BMYvgiVe9n6spQQq_nb4XodAX4H31MV0ZLGoxmw3gny4bEdApR-C2AutktofqkBdteKUo

Gov. Orville Freeman(D-MN) was the one who many thought would be chosen as Gore’s running mate. But Gore was insistent on picking McCarthy.

“Jack and I were trying our best to get Gore to pick Freeman but he was just so damn insistent on picking McCarthy.

He would say “Genes a good campaigner” or “he had support from Johnson and we need his support to win this fall” we just couldn’t wrap our heads around it. Gore even went to ask him (McCarthy) in person! It was like Gore was hypnotized or something.” - Excerpt from an interview with Robert F. Kennedy given in 1989

“Gene wasn’t expecting to get chosen, he expected Gore to pick Governor Freeman. So it came as quite a shock to Gene and I when Gore personally came to both of us and said “Gene how would you like to be my running mate this upcoming election?” I thought he was joking for a moment.” - Excerpt from Private Faces/Public Places by Abigal McCarthy

“Eugene J. McCarthy accepted and was nominated for Vice President.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

QeMJWt4x31U5juZzuVct5ryXR4dA3YDOMJqh1nTjHr1H4g8GR010ZNefrWlRYSfEHzDVnNTXWMVAovb3GlLowpY71qQ7vJPyjvetmm8yFRrxneMjcSWYwC-wFyXt2K3o2uhQ-bna4c0zPjJ8I5Zepvs

Sen. Eugene McCarthy(D-MN) accepting the Vice Presidential nomination at the 1960 DNC. McCarthy was to the surprise of many chosen to be Gore’s running mate in 1960.

“On the Republican side, things were less nail-biting, to say the least.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“His Vice President for eight years Richard Nixon now enthusiastically sought the Presidency. Several Republicans supported Nelson Rockefeller the Governor of New York and a member of the wealthy Rockefeller family. Rockefeller was a member of the liberal/moderate wing of the Republican party, surprisingly Harold Stassen did not run for President despite doing so since 1944 but he had his own plans.

After Rockefeller decided to drop out Nixon easily won the Republican Nomination but he was a little worried that he didn’t have the support of the Rockefeller Republicans. So he met with Rockefeller to see if they were on the same page on many issues in doing this Nixon sort of became an officially big government, Republican.” - Excerpt from the YouTube video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

x8TDlaLyh8B3RM6kr__p48Xexv-9_J6ipvbyaFQFGkO3LZOLD41wKra-P_O9n8wXtUtNq2y8aAwuyW3Rq6ywrSFhBJpL9zcj6ABFZqXowGUmFAXtmbbOt3eweg_Rq-a223PCkn9sH3avWq1A-IU

“The only real “challenge” (if you can say that) or difficulty Nixon faced at the Convention was when conservative Senator Barry fucking Goldwater came from nowhere and challenged Nixon for the nomination{7}. In order to in his words “take back the party” Nixon easily curb-stomped Goldwater, with that over and done with Nixon had to now choose a running mate.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich
8aIfoSyK47lMyLw_uASh7Vtsrd5GzHIKseR7xXMmr-6ZzyBgRB0hRe1o2MctfcEnOlA908xkUjYTs99o5xcV-M6UFoPOJGJ84VTwp8PGMH8aRnGMyFxXChWBGnZP-pNtCfN4Z4tiKpzaMiswMbstg3g

1960 RNC

“After winning the presidential nomination, Nixon considered several candidates for the vice presidential nomination. Incumbent President Dwight D. Eisenhower strongly supported Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., the United States Ambassador to the United Nations. Though Lodge was not viewed by Republicans as a charismatic speaker, his foreign policy experience made him an appealing candidate.

However, with the surprise nomination of Eugene McCarthy as Vice President at the 1960 Democratic National Convention Nixon felt the need to shake up the race while also making a surprise choice. And thus chose Connecticut Senator Prescott S. Bush{8}. - Excerpt from the 1960 Republican National Convention Wikipedia page

grYMKIjxqLS_asFm1kJDHOLFmMq5oo7zV7aDM58Za51lwYoSYsTzL9MLaz7VD64iglwz4LlBIqep_ptcvprv3jvDeoCp2XPMK9VADadr0aRsJI709CimqBf14BmeNSb61KkYf00LE5ZtlEd8QFU

Sen. Prescott Bush(R-CT) was chosen to be Richard Nixon’s running mate in the 1960 election.

“With that, both parties were off to the races, or race that is.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

Author Notes
1. I don't really know if Gore and Symington were all that friendly with each other however considering that there is no evidence of any hostilities between the two I'm just gonna assume they were since the two weren't too different from each other.

2. I took this from a timeline called The Second Choice Is Now The First in which Stuart Symington is nominated which has sadly not been updated. Truman said this to Johnson in that timeline as well and I thought it was funny so I took it and modified it a bit as a little nod to the timeline.

3. McCarthy hated the Kennedys with a burning passion. The feeling was mutual well from Bobby it was Jack actually made up with McCarthy before he died. We'll see if they do ITTL.

4. Yes that happened, McCarthy gave the nomination speech for Stevenson a man he had never met before. However, McCarthy was a massive supporter of Stevenson even when he became a kook. This was also what kept me so long, I went back and forth between having McCarthy nominate Stevenson or not.

it was hard trying to decide on what to do but, in the end, I decided to not have McCarthy nominate Stevenson because Stevenson withdrew and supported Gore.

5. Freeman gave the nomination speech for JFK in our timeline in the hopes of gaining the Vice Presidency. Here however since there is no JFK Freeman nominates his fellow Minnesotan Hubert Humphrey.

6. This was never in the original video and is something I added to show some difference from OTL.

7. IOTL Goldwater actually withdrew his name from consideration though in his speech in which he took himself from the race he called on conservatives to "Take Back" the party, here he actually challenges Nixon for the nomination.

8. Bush was considered by Nixon however he was never seriously considered. Here he is not only more seriously considered but chosen by Nixon to be his running mate.

sorry, this took so long however the conventions are a wrap and the race is on! Who will win? and what will happen when Nixon and Gore collide?

Last edited:
Once again sorry this update took so damn long. anyway, now that's over and we have our nominees any predictions? Thoughts and criticisms are always welcomed so please share your thoughts about the timeline so far.

Hey, guys just thought you should all know that I'm done with the next post and am now moving on to the editing portion. I don't know when I'll be done with it but fingers crossed it'll be soon.

P.S. I just woke up so good morning to everyone.

1960 Election
“That damn Tennesse hick! Oh damn it all to hell! If I was the nominee I’d have Tricky Dick’s dick in a sling you know that…Gore better not fuck this up. At least he chose Gene for his running mate he should keep that moron in line.”

• Senate Majority Leader Lyndon B. Johnson to an aid on 1960 Democratic nominee Senator Albert Gore

“The 1960 United States presidential election was the 44th quadrennial presidential election.
This was the first election in which fifty states participated, and the last in which the District of Columbia did not, marking the first participation of Alaska and Hawaii. This made it the only presidential election where the threshold for victory was 269 electoral votes. It was also the first election in which an incumbent president was ineligible to run for a third term because of the term limits established by the 22nd Amendment.” - Excerpt from the 1960 Presidental Election Wikipedia page

“So it was Nixon and Bush vs Gore and McCarthy.” - Excerpt from YouTube Video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“Nation Needs Nixon” - Richard Nixon’s 1960 campaign slogan

“I’m sure your all wondering how the hell Gore got Johnson to campaign for him after quote “stealing his spot.” Well, simple really, Johnson agreed to help Gore if he (Gore) appointed his protegee John Connally to a cabinet spot, and Gore agreed.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“Leadership for a New America” - Albert Gore’s 1960 campaign slogan

“Nixon promised to campaign in all 50 states, even Alaska and Hawaii. He probably later regretted that promise after he hurt his knee on a car door and the knee got severely infected. After he received it two weeks later he stayed true to his pledge but some historians say he was an idiot for doing this as he likely as he just wasted valuable time campaigning in states he had no chance of winning anyway.

McCarthy actually proved to be a valuable asset by aggressively campaigning for Gore in the north while Gore campaigned mostly in the south. The two would then meet up and campaign together in the swing states. However, some might say McCarthy was a bit too aggressive.

McCarthy would often make jokes (sometimes mean-spirited) at the expense of both Nixon and Bush. McCarthy would often bring up Bush’s ties with Planned Parenthood (which helped sink his first Senate race{1}). However, while this did hurt Nixon/Bush it also began to hurt the Gore/McCarthy ticket because of Bush’s leading charge to censure Joseph McCarthy (no relation to Eugene McCarthy) and would be the first cause of tensions between Gore and McCarthy. Eventually, Gore cracked the whip on McCarthy and he didn’t make as many jokes about Nixon and Bush.” - Excerpt from YouTube Video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

3vPoIt6w7nGCC610YPfTo110UpfEbPSQjWr5iWqKZqYKlTRbNOJIA14BgIGro_YodGw36oJalNl6hNaGo6hkJEKZl5aw5DMTWhhQQwdwCRiSER8mDMSHczNIyll-CXynlV_FO0eeS_BbuOhhjs5d8A

Vice President Richard Nixon(R-CA) campaigns with his wife Pat in Texas, Circa 1960.

The following is an interview given by RFK in 1986

Interviewer: So Mr. Kennedy.

RFK: Yes?

Interview: We all know about the rivalry between the Kennedys and McCarthy…how did Gore get you all to work together?

RFK: Well he got Jack and Gene to work together by threatening to drop both of them if they didn’t and I quote “get it together” it was effective and they both begrudgingly mind you got along.

“Despite the economy being strong Gore did attack Nixon (and by proxy Eisenhower) on the 1958 recession also known as the Eisenhower Recession. But the two mostly attacked each other on foreign policy.

Both also campaigned on their experience but in different ways. Nixon campaigned on his experience as Vice President under Eisenhower while Gore campaigned on his experience as both a Congressman and Senator from Tennessee.” - Excerpt from YouTube Video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“Nixon sure got no help from Ike mostly because of that gaffe. You know the one I’m talking about…no?

Well, let me tell you. During a televised press conference, he was giving a reporter asked Eisenhower if he could give an example of an idea of Nixon’s that was heeded. To which Eisenhower responded with.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

“If you give me a week, I might think of one.” - Eisenhower’s famous 1960 gaffe

“Although both Eisenhower and Nixon later claimed that he was merely joking with the reporter, the remark hurt Nixon, as it undercut his claims of having greater decision-making experience than Gore(who was both a Congressman and Senator). The remark proved so damaging to Nixon that the Democrats turned Eisenhower's statement into a television commercial.” - Excerpt from the 1960 Presidental Election Wikipedia page

i4mmSF9nN0etWcgyUk0H_PjMFMxJrc-zdApSy3JTmIf0Oh445seSVYV120iYlWQrXMTsTXY1y5WYCJa7hut86k8X_Qykmvf3LmN-UtuFRN9xEcFmU_JnHfIMH9rA-qIZu1fJRQ_S6yrV1CMnH0IRPQo

“If you give me a week, I might think of one.” Eisenhower’s gaffe not only damaged Nixon’s campaign it also hurt Nixon personally.

“Gore's campaign took advantage of an opening when Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., the civil-rights leader, was arrested in Georgia while taking part in a sit-in. Nixon asked President Dwight D. Eisenhower to pardon King, but the President declined to do so. Nixon refused to take further action despite pleas from running mate Prescott Bush, but Gore proceeded to place calls to local political authorities to get King released from jail as well as publicly calling for King’s release, and he also called King's father and wife. As a result, King's father endorsed Kennedy, and he received much favorable publicity among the black electorate.” - Excerpt from the 1960 Presidental Election Wikipedia page
PyX-IUhEDHCHvb22dq_M8FbUwWNliRjD2MritgeA7yR4fUJOupMPL2vLwwHdfNGNVw1Ba1-VPxIOJI4AoWPEjv-tthEKNHrrJINufqMcyKVEvite6C9vSCp5iog3sOrqI4ndlRmyne18dYzwg1tGA9k

Sen. Albert Gore publicly called for King’s release from jail during a press conference seen here.
“Believe it or not this was the first time that live Presidental debates were held in the general election.

There were three of them all on television so it was a pretty big deal{2}. Those who saw the first debate on TV agreed that Gore had won why? Because many said that Nixon looked uncomfortable and weak. He kept sweating and was still recovering from his recent knee injury, and he was tired from campaigning all day and hadn’t worn any makeup so his beard stubble showed up to viewers on TV, while Gore looked rested and confident during the debate.

However, those that listened to the debate on the Radio were more split, some said that Gore had won while others said Nixon had won{3}.

It’s pretty crazy how many people agree that appearing on Television affected the election as it did.” - Excerpt from YouTube Video The American Presidential Election of 1960 by Matt Beat also known as Mr. Beat

“Hundreds of thousands of Americans if not more have lost jobs under this administration. Not just from the Eisenhower recession but also from an economic contraction that started in April of this year. Why should we elect four more years of the same under Mr. Nixon?” - Albert Gore during one of the 1960 Presidental debates

1960 United States Presidental Results(from American Election.com)

Sen. Albert Gore(D-TN)/Sen. Eugene McCarthy(D-MN): 344 Electoral Votes, 52.72%

Vice Pres. Richard Nixon(R-CA)/Sen. Prescott Bush(R-CT): 188 Electoral Votes, 46.55%

Faithless Electors - 5
T_VfdA2zdDHFhYif4Zc28j2gWFzEUbFdtJ-Y_rIwMcLRW3bxOLRXQejT1DVICywFT3zWpeVWVsji3MRs_NB4tCevtk46tV7x4E5_WVLyGvJ58_ZmD1uBFImsf95v82Ie3KLK3DFtAkfYg4M8qbwiPac

1960 Presidental Election map

“Gore had done it he had bested Nixon and he also turned out to have some moderate coattails.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 United States Senate Elections(from American Election.com)

Democrats: Seats Before - 66, Seats After - 62 (-4)

Republicans: Seats Before - 34, Seats After - 38 (+4)
9SSusA0xYOvcZEVj4wSw0JJDaoln-mTFGUaF3igpQOiYV5-tudD_jcPJHNS9PnB3b-N93L2DvrC-EgevG5-CC4nkFibp5jDr4HLcs6a90YpNb9Gvm5EMgzx5dr9YZMUYVPk51NiowJNil3OsYsIAYPA

1960 Senate Elections map. Light blue=Dem hold, Dark blue=Dem gain. Light Red=Rep hold, Dark red=Rep gain

“Not too bad. I mean they did lose four seats but it could have been far worse. And besides, they made up for it in the Governor elections.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

CiwlW3UHv4f4hKtdEuJA6MR3SENswrS0W8v_Ue7Z7r-G1oShqPf8ksom50sbqGQX3lEoEQSW8GOyAAqXgVt3fQKaKxRHxqZDpAkBuzc7h5YS0JW0uZ5F_T_5t3MUAORUVNY0YVX0j64p0jYNE6SSi1k

1960 Governor Elections map. Light blue=Dem hold, Dark blue=Dem gain. Light Red=Rep hold, Dark red=Rep gain

“One such person was Kennedy-in-law Sargent Shriver{4}.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Illinois Gubernatorial Election results(from Illinois elections.com)

Sargent Shriver - 55.51%

William Stratton(Inc.) - 44.30%

“Another person who benefitted was Incumbent Governor and almost running mate Orville Freeman of Minnesota after a last-minute campaign stop made by both Gore and McCarthy in support of Freeman.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

1960 Minnesota Gubernatorial Election results(from Minnesotaelections.com)

Orville Freeman(Inc.) - 50.08%

Elmer L. Anderson - 49.56%

1960 United States House Of Representatives Elections(from American Election.com)

Democrats: 262 Seats(-21)

Republicans: 175 Seats(+21)

Majority Leader: Sam Rayburn(D-TX)

Minority Leader: Charles Halleck(R-IN)

“Now Gore just had to get his cabinet together.” - Excerpt from The 1960 Election: The Campaigns and Other things by Newt Gingrich

Author Notes
1. This is true and was one of the reasons Prescott lost in his first Senate race.

2. IOTL there were four debates here Nixon and Gore agree on three.

3. The most famous story of the 1960 Presidental election is that most people who listened to the first debate on the radio said Nixon won while those who watched it on TV said Kennedy had won. Here Gore not only wins on TV but those who listened to the debate on the radio are split more evenly between Nixon and Gore.

4. It's said that Shriver had planned to run for Governor but that he was talked out of it as many feared that having a catholic running for President and Governor would hurt the down tickets. Here with no catholic on top of the ticket(but one on the bottom) Shriver runs for and wins the Governorship.

Welp that's over now we'll be on to the meat of Gore's term, there might not be a post for a bit as I'll be diving deep into more research before I begin Gore's Presidency. I would like to thank you all for reading this far and sticking along for the ride.

Last edited:
Wasn't Gore Sr a segregationist? That's going to have an impact on things to come
No, he was just more moderate on the issue than say, Hubert Humphrey. Also, the only reason he voted against the 64 act was personal reasons and had nothing to do with race, I think it was that the bill said that the government could punish the schools or something like that, I'd have to find the article again but yeah he wasn't a segregationist just a moderate. Keep in mind that he voted for the voting rights act the next year so.