Could this POD create a steam punk present?

From the church records of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Gospić in the Austrian Empire:

28 June 1856- baptism of Nikola Tesla, Father Fr. Milutin Tesla. Mother Đuka Mandić Tesla, born this day.

13 October 1861- funeral for Danilo Tesla and Nikola Tesla, died in horse accident.

Could this POD create a steam punk present?

[snarky response ON] No, as the steam punk age would be over and done with by now. Hay, no throwing stones or bananas, please. ;) [snarky response OFF]

Seriously though ...
No, not that POD alone, as someone else would have led the way in developing developed modern alternating current and the work of others would have led to advances in wireless communication and developments in the field of electromagnetism.

Are you sure?

I'm not so sure that others would have conceived AC if Tesla hadn't been there. I know most people reject the "Great Man" theory, and in most cases it makes sense. But that doesn't mean that in some instances there are a few Great Men whose contribution is unique. I'd say if anyone in the last 500 years filled that role it was Tesla.

What would this POD lead to even if it doesn't mean we're still steam punk now?

The concept of Alternating Current exists with or without Tesla. He perfected the means of distributing power and many others contributed to the field of research.

I'm not so sure that others would have conceived AC if Tesla hadn't been there. I know most people reject the "Great Man" theory, and in most cases it makes sense. But that doesn't mean that in some instances there are a few Great Men whose contribution is unique. I'd say if anyone in the last 500 years filled that role it was Tesla.

What would this POD lead to even if it doesn't mean we're still steam punk now?

The First AC Alternator was Built in 1832.

Tesla dying early does not stop Michael Faraday from coming up with the Theory, nor will it stop the various Europeans who made AC Prior to the War of the Currents.

All Tesla really did was make more Improvements to the idea.