Down the Parallel Road: An Afsharid Persia Timeline

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback on the last update. I've edited it a bit to try and emphasise the growing turmoil in China prior to the growth of the White Turban movement. While certainly a sharp shock, China's problems had been mounting for several decades prior to the rebellion.
Ouch, painful way for the Qing to go:frown:
But I'll put aside my Qingophillia for the moment:biggrin:, cuz here's a couple nitpicks on the regnal names you chose for the Emperors.

Tianshang sounds...fairly inauspicious, and seems to imply being in heaven and therefore...being dead, as Sky (Tian) also means Heaven in Chinese. Moreover, disyllable words are really somethingpost-May 4th and certainly wouldn't be seen in the Imperial Court. I'd recommend 天治 (Tiānzhì Heavenly Rulership)

Same case as above, so I'd recommend 萬榮 (Wànróng Ten Thousand Glories)
My Chinese is unfortunately non-existent. When it comes to East Asian (and particularly Japan and China with their systems of regnal names) it can be had to come up with alternative rulers. I would appreciate it if I could call upon your help in the future with other Chinese updates, you've been a real life saver here. :)
Even though my bias is against it, I am prepared for that to see how a Shogun ruled Japan will turn out in the future.

China will probably stay a backwater for far longer than OTL.
Well there's no guarantee that the Tokugawa will survive yet. Although the French are likely to be a stronger force in Japan than OTL, there is still a mass of anti-foreigner and anti-Tokugawa sentiment that could be exploited in a rebellion against the Bakufu.
will this is a interesting timeline, will some form of manga appear in this timeline ?
Interesting question. I'm aware that Manga had its origins prior to the end of Sakoku, though much of what we recognize as its characteristic traits (large eyes, etc) are likely to be absent with the POD so far back. Whether or not Manga will become the powerful bastion of Japanese cultural influence abroad is another question entirely, though to a certain extent one cannot override the rule of cool.
Are there are qing remnant still around like say in manchuria or they utterly destroyed and whole former qing land under this new dynasty. Speaking of which in the chaos of civil war are there fringe region try to seccede from the empire?

And how Joseon doing right now

Interesting to see tokugawa still have a chance
The Tokugawa do indeed still have a chance. I do think that the Meiji restoration wasn't an inevitability in OTL, and indeed it was the pro-Shogunate factions that appeared to be the ones most amenable to reform interestingly enough. The form that Tokugawa development may have taken however may well be different than Japan's in OTL.
Qing collapse seems a bit...abrupt honestly. The OTL Taiping Rebellion took close to 15 years and the actual Qing had taken a few more beatings than TTL's Qing (plus had rebellions in nearly all its periphery regions and some of its interior). Would've thought it would've taken a bit more than 4 years, especially with foreign support, but I guess that means a much lower loss of life, a much better economic position for the Wu (the Taiping, Nien, etc. rebellions and the scorched earth tactics over the decade caused considerable damage to farmland and displaced millions over the course of the war), and not quite as much of a threat of warlordism (no regional armies formed to combat the Taiping). Better short term, long term remains to be seen.

Would assume the Qing are gone gone, since Beijing fell in 1860 and the war ended in 1861 with "the last pockets of Qing resistance had been stamped out." Millions of Han have settled Manchuria at this point OTL to it's fair to assume Manchuria is now under Wu control.

Probably not worse than OTL, considering one of OTL's Joseon kings in the 19th century was apparently illiterate. Then again, the lack of mention probably indicates political stagnancy, obstinate isolationism, and generally poor decisions, so basically nothing's changed here ;D. Probably even more entrenched in that, seeing as they'll have noticed the reaction to reform in the Qing.

Perhaps greater European intervention to avoid a repeat of the Wu in Japan? That'd see the shogunate kick for a bit longer.
Thanks for the input. I do feel like I have painted a picture of a China that has been too strong to fall to the rebellion as it has. I have made a few additions that hopefully make the events a bit more sensical.

Certainly without the 20+ million who died in the Taiping rebellion in OTL, things seem better for China in the long run. Despite the reactionary leanings of the Wu dynasty, there will likely be quite a number of benefits from their rule at least initially. I do feel that eventually China will be forced to confront the modern world though. It's still not guaranteed that it will resemble the century of humiliation that China faced in OTL though.

The Qing are indeed gone-gone, though not all Manchurians have suffered the fate of those who were massacred.

Korea isn't really in a position to profit from its weakened neighbours so far, so it is quite likely that they will fall into the orbit of the Wu dynasty at least for the time being. In the future though, Korea's future could diverge quite considerably from OTL, especially if their neighbours to the East aren't quite as developed and aggressive as in OTL.
I have to agree with BellaGerant, the collapse of the Qing seems pretty quick, given that they suffered through greater disasters IOTL and survived. If what the author said was true, then he really downplayed the turmoil that engulfed the empire during it's final days.

And interesting, how Japan is dealing with the West. I always wondered how the outside world was conceptualized by the Japanese mind, and a part of me wonders if the court knew how vast and diverse the outside world was.
Japan's impressions of the world outside were... strange. On one hand they were perfectly aware of the political map of the world, of the advances in technology and what not. They did reportedly have trouble trying to wrap their heads around the American political system however, though it is interesting how quickly Japan adopted at least the trappings of a European constitutional system. I still think it is more impressive that their modernization was funded almost entirely with their own capital, the Meiji period is really fascinating when contrasted to other modernization projects.
*should re-read this to understand what's happened*

It was. It really was. When Spain tried to assume direct control and impose its racist policies in the 1820s, there were at least two attempts at independence. And the increasing prosperity of the Philippines in the period was a cause of Filipino nationalism, with the sons of the landed gentry being sent to Europe to study.
I'm still trying to get my head around the Filipino independence movements of OTL (it took me about two weeks to pronounce Kataástaasan, Kagalanggalang na Katipunan ng̃ mg̃á Anak ng̃ Bayan) but it really is quite interesting. The Philippines had a whole lot of potential that sadly hasn't been realised much in OTL. I would always appreciate more Filipino perspectives on it though, so if you do have any reading recommendations...

I'm still trying to get my head around the Filipino independence movements of OTL (it took me about two weeks to pronounce Kataástaasan, Kagalanggalang na Katipunan ng̃ mg̃á Anak ng̃ Bayan) but it really is quite interesting. The Philippines had a whole lot of potential that sadly hasn't been realised much in OTL. I would always appreciate more Filipino perspectives on it though, so if you do have any reading recommendations...

Manga doesn't need to be originated from Japan, it could also originated from China instead.

Well if the Philippines does capitalize on that potential unlike OTL, they could fill the void that Japan as being a rising East Asian power with ambitions of expansion. While eventually transforming into a centre of culture with Komiks in place of Manga. All of which is dictated on whether or not they can find a long term solution to the Ethno Religious divides

Manga doesn't need to be originated from Japan, it could also originated from China instead.
Possibly. Unfortunately, I know relatively little about the medium (the only Manga I actually own is Detroit Metal City).
Well if the Philippines does capitalize on that potential unlike OTL, they could fill the void that Japan as being a rising East Asian power with ambitions of expansion. While eventually transforming into a centre of culture with Komiks in place of Manga. All of which is dictated on whether or not they can find a long term solution to the Ethno Religious divides
A Philippines with the kind of cultural reach of Japan, or even South Korea (whose Dramas seen to be the hot thing in Southeast Asia at the moment) would certainly be an interesting proposition. The restive Moro aside, it would be interesting to see if it would affect the position of Christianity in Asia.

Africa - 1829 to 1862
Ifeyani Nnaji; Cradle of Humanity - A History of Africa Before Colonialism

The Rise of the Buganda Caliphate
Although Islam had been a powerful force on the East Coast of Africa for many centuries, it was only in the beginning of the 19th century that Islam had made its impact felt in the Great Lakes region. It was the Buganda people who were the first to accept the word of the prophet, and for many decades, Islam spread amongst the elite, with diffusion to the lower social orders a slow process. However, in the 1840s this changed with the rise of the Buganda Sultan Umar Hajji. Having completed the Hajj as a prince, and visited Egypt, the new Sultan envisioned uniting much of the Great Lakes region under the banner of Islam, and upon taking the throne, began building an army to defeat the pagan rulers of the region. In doing this, he utilised links built with the trading cities of the Swahili coast as well as the further Muslim World, building an army which was the greatest that the interior of Africa had ever seen.

Umar’s army was disciplined, comparatively large and motivated by religious zeal. As in the Sahel, the Muslim warriors saw great success against their pagan opponents, bringing the other Lake Kingdoms to heel and often forging alliances with local people, usually cattle herding tribes, many of whom quickly accepted Islam. Promising swift advancement for capable people of any tribe who embraced Islam, Buganda was able to use a combination of military might and local cooperation to establish a great Islamic Empire across the lakes region by 1854. Not only this, but she had also created a new Islamic elite amongst many of the peoples of the Empire. Although his Empire would scarcely outlive himself, Umar Hajji had expanded Islam’s direct influence deep into the heart of Africa. Although no more than 30% of the population of his Empire was Muslim upon his death, the spread of the religion among the social elite ensured that even when his Empire fell to infighting after his death, that he would forever be remember as the “Sword of Islam in the Lakes”, who created an influential and Muslim Central African state. This, perhaps, is explanation of why even to this day he is revered among his Buganda people.

As well as bringing Islam to the Great Lakes region, Umar Hajji brought the region to the attention of other Muslim rulers. He made a great statement of support for the rebels in the Sudan, who were fighting the Christian Ethiopians. He even sent some emissaries as far away as Isfahan and Constantinople, where requests for reciprocal recognitions of greatness fell on deaf ears, though where at least the news of the spread of Islam in distant regions from the world proved to be a pleasant curiosity in light of territorial losses closer to home. However, the expansion of the state also made the Congo more accessible to slave traders, who now had an easier journey than ever to bring slaves captured there to ports in East Africa where they could be shipped across the Indian Ocean. The scale of the slave trade increased throughout the 1860s, to the point where even Britain and France were becoming concerned. However, as Europeans began putting pressure on the slave trade at sea, the supply of slaves dropped after the Buganda Empire fell to infighting after the death of Umar Hajji in 1865.

2131689197_9654f94802_z.jpg

The Limits of Ethiopia's Empire

By the 1830s, Ethiopia was perhaps as powerful as it had been during the reign of the great Zara Kwestantinos in the 15th century. Her ascendency over the previously fearsome Somali Sultanates had been confirmed, some level of trade had been established with the outside world and internally there were fewer threats to the Ethiopian Emperor than there had ever been. Indeed, the situation now seemed to promise a period of peace and stability for Ethiopia, but this was not a priority for the Ethiopian Emperor Kwestantinos. He was ambitious, and had a great zeal for fighting his Muslim neighbours. Having previously defeated the Somalis, making them send tribute to him and all but destroying the slave trade in captured Ethiopians, Kwestantinos now turned his attention west to the Sudan, ruled by the Sultan Agban, who had previously fought off an Egyptian invasion of his homeland. Kwenstantinos requested the allegiance of Agban, as well as tribute, though this was brusquely rejected by the Sultan, who replied that any gold would have to be taken from them.

The Ethiopian invasion of the Sudan initially went fairly well, defeating the famous black-horsed cavalry and seizing the capital of Sennar, which was looted in a great orgy of violence. The Ethiopians seemed to be having much more luck than the Egyptians in defeating the Sudanese. With organized resistance to the Ethiopian army largely wiped out by 1836, Kwenstantinos returned to the Ethiopian Highlands to embark on the last great project of his reign, the building of a new capital for his empire at Debre Tabor. However, when Kwenstantinos finally died in 1841, his armies were still occupying Sudan. After Agban had been killed, other self-proclaimed leaders now rose to resist the Ethiopians, engaging in a guerrilla struggle that was draining Ethiopia’s treasury. Initially, the new Ethiopian king Yohannes, was averse to becoming personally embroiled in the conflict, preferring to delegate the fighting to his generals. However, when one guerrilla leader had united the others under his banner and was able to start engaging Ethiopia’s armies in pitched battles, Yohannes made an effort to stop the rebellion in the Sudan once and for all. However, he and his army met their fate at the Battle of Sinjah.

Yohannes’ brother Iyasu now became Emperor, and was convinced that there could be no meaningful victory in Sudan. His priority was to stop the wars which were impoverishing the royal treasuring and focus instead on building internal stability. Within a year of becoming Emperor, he had agreed with the new “Sultan of the Sudan”, Abd-al-Rahman Badawi a peace treaty between equals. This was followed by challenges from the Somali rulers who now refused to pay tribute. Iyasu chose not to undertake action against these, apparently thinking that a war for comparatively little gain was not worth the effort. Instead, Iyasu’s reign would be one of relative peace, which saw agricultural advances as well as a flourishing of Amharic literature and culture. This was a development which now saw the previously proud Oromo peoples adopting more and more Amharic customs, which was now seen as the prestige culture of Ethiopia.

Bloedrivier.gif

Sheldon Roth; Cradle of Humanity - Africa from the Prehistoric to the Present

The Last Days of Isolation?

1861 was a watershed year in African history. In South Africa, it marked the break between the Netherlands and her distant “Cape Colony”, which had by now began to expand far beyond the original perimeter of the Cape of Good Hope. With a rapidly rising population, the European inhabitants of the southern end of Africa began to put increasing pressure on the native peoples of the region such as the Xhosa and Zulus. Although they did not lack for brave warriors, these people did lack for the organization or technology that the Afrikaners at the Cape possessed. Gradually, their cattle herding territories were taken over to become farmland. Those who did not flee became farm-workers for the Afrikaners, working as menial labourers on land that had once been theirs. In the newly independent “South African Republic”, to be black meant a life of displacement, dispossession and servitude, a reality which was not recognised in the lofty wording of the South African constitution. Indeed, when it came to the politics of this new state, the African inhabitants who still made a majority of the population were largely treated as inconsequential. The Constitution made little reference to them, not imposing any great handicaps but not offering citizenship either, which was offered only to Dutch speakers of European descent.

Elsewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa however, Europeans were not the important players that they were in the South, largely thanks to the barrier of the tropical diseases that made life for Europeans in the region a very difficult proposition indeed. As the British and French found a rare project for cooperation in the fight against the Slave Trade, the slaving kings in West Africa increasingly geared their exports north toward the Sahel and the great Fulani Sultanate. Although still relatively free of the chattel slavery which could be found in areas of the Americas such as Lusitanian Brazil and Columbia, plantations using slaves now became a feature of the Fulani economy, especially around the important textile towns of Hausaland, which were thirsty for more cotton. Within the cities too, the slave population increased to the point where Kano’s population were mostly slaves by the middle of the century. In East Africa too, the British and French clamped down on the slave trade which exported Africans to much of the rest of the Indian Ocean basin. Slaves from East Africa now rarely went further than the great plantations of Zanzibar and the Swahili Coast, which produced large amounts of spices and tropical goods for export.

Although Christian Missionaries were expressing more of an interest in converting the heathen souls which inhabited much of the continent, it was still Islam which was gaining more ground in the continent. The Fulani Caliphate greatly facilitated the growth of the Islamic religion within its own territory, and had made Islam a prestige religion beyond its own borders, though it was not the only Islamic polity to see growth. The short lived Buganda Empire which ruled the Great Lakes region turned Islam from a curiosity into the dominant religion in the area. Even as its rule receded, the new kingdoms that emerged were all ruled by Muslims, and the region became more connected to Coastal East Africa as a result of its religion, which facilitated trade and to some extent, the movement of people. The semi-nomadic peoples between the lakes and the coast such as the Nyamwezi were also increasingly Islamicised, and often set themselves up as middlemen to compensate for the poor quality of their soil. These great gains for the Islamic faith on the continent made the conversions to Christianity of small numbers of people on the African coastline pale in comparison.

Even without the profound European influence that would come later, Africa was a changing place. Even areas of the interior were now seeing a greater integration into the world economy that was a defining feature of the times. Traditional religions were in some ways, losing ground to the “Great Religions” of the world, though often features of these Animist and Fetishist religions were maintained after official conversions, mirroring the syncretism that was found in places such as South East Asia. However, to many outside of her, Africa remained the “Dark Continent” by virtue of her isolation, a place in which few outsiders travelled deep into, and whose diverse peoples, political systems and landscapes were still unknown to even the most curious men of learning elsewhere. With advances in transportation, medicine and most importantly weaponry, how long this would remain to be the case was no longer certain.

Author's Notes - The coastlines of Africa are increasingly feeling the impact of Europe, except in West Africa, where a decline in the demand for slaves is forcing a shift in the economy of the region. Islam is still making greater headway in the interior than Christianity, though with quinine and the machine gun on the horizon, this will probably change soon. In South Africa, we have seen a slower colonisation of the Highveld without the Mfecane, and one in which whites have been the bigger culprits than the Zulus in ethnically cleansing the original inhabitants. Ethiopia has also discovered her own limits, but still remains a great challenge for Muslim rulers in the region, though they may soon all find out there is something worse than each other in the world.

Author's Notes - The coastlines of Africa are increasingly feeling the impact of Europe, except in West Africa, where a decline in the demand for slaves is forcing a shift in the economy of the region. Islam is still making greater headway in the interior than Christianity, though with quinine and the machine gun on the horizon, this will probably change soon. In South Africa, we have seen a slower colonisation of the Highveld without the Mfecane, and one in which whites have been the bigger culprits than the Zulus in ethnically cleansing the original inhabitants. Ethiopia has also discovered her own limits, but still remains a great challenge for Muslim rulers in the region, though they may soon all find out there is something worse than each other in the world.

Despite Innovations making colonization of the dark Continent feasible like in OTL. It's likely to be more of meat grinder and financial drain due to already developed bureaucracies who are already familiarized with western technology. No to mention even more violent revolts for the nations that are less secular in administration
thanks to being more thoroughly islamicized.

So what were the borders of the Bugandan empire at it's brief maximum? The "great Lakes region" extends nearly a thousand miles from north Victoria to south Malawi.

The Fulani Caliphate greatly facilitated the growth of the Islamic religion...

I thought the Fulani state was a sultanate, not a caliphate, though I could be misremembering things.

So more of Africa is Islamized and acquainted with the outside world, if at least through trade networks and warfare. Given the strength (or more accurately, fragility) of some of these empires, I wonder if there would be more polities that will be seen as equal with Europe in the near-future. Hopefully we don't see Ethiopia getting the sole title, like OTL.

Also, the part of me that likes Malê Rising now seeks to know: what happened to Rwanda?

I thought the Fulani state was a sultanate, not a caliphate, though I could be misremembering things.

So more of Africa is Islamized and acquainted with the outside world, if at least through trade networks and warfare. Given the strength (or more accurately, fragility) of some of these empires, I wonder if there would be more polities that will be seen as equal with Europe in the near-future. Hopefully we don't see Ethiopia getting the sole title, like OTL.

Also, the part of me that likes Malê Rising now seeks to know: what happened to Rwanda?
I think Fulani is an alternative name for the Sokoto Caliphate.

That's a little anachronistic, isn't it?

According to Etymology Online:

Surely they'd call it the "Cape Republic", as that name has existed for longer?
The Cape Republic was the first name that came to mind, but since the colony steadily has expanded beyond the Cape into the Highveld, I felt as though the mindset of the Afrikaners would have been more amenable to the identification of their new state as a general South African one.
Despite Innovations making colonization of the dark Continent feasible like in OTL. It's likely to be more of meat grinder and financial drain due to already developed bureaucracies who are already familiarized with western technology. No to mention even more violent revolts for the nations that are less secular in administration
thanks to being more thoroughly islamicized.
The dynamics of European interaction with Africa area likely to be very different in vast swathes of the continent, not only due to the different situation within Africa itself which has more states with a higher level of sophistication (the ripples of a centralised Persia have gotten this far!), but also due to the political differences within the European continent. Rather than "Ruling the Seas", Britain has to contend with a French state that is hegemonic in Western and Central Europe, thus removing some of her room for maneuver and influence abroad. This could encourage faster colonization, or could possibly lead to the converse.
So what were the borders of the Bugandan empire at it's brief maximum? The "great Lakes region" extends nearly a thousand miles from north Victoria to south Malawi.
At its maximum, the Bugandan Empire covered much of modern Uganda, as well as Rwanda, Burundi and a good chunk of Northwest Tanzania. However, the Empire didn't quite extend as far south as Malawi (ending around the northern third of Lake Tanganyika) as my understanding that the states here were separated by quite some distance from the Great Lakes Kingdoms of the "Northern Great Lakes". It will be included in the map at the end of the cycle of course but I hope this gives a rough outline as to the dimensions of the Empire.

Like the Sokoto Caliphate of OTL, it's a Caliphate without a Caliph. However, more so than the Sokoto of OTL, it is written about more often as a Sultanate due to the somewhat stronger position of the Sultan, especially in comparison to the Emirs of the Hausa cities in modern North Nigeria.

Especially with the time it will take for the Europeans to "set up shop" as it were in Africa's interior, it is likely that a number of African polities will be able to inoculate themselves. Instead we might see more Europeans jockeying for influence within the more powerful states, or even using them in proxy wars. Part of it depends on who ends up joining the British and French in their "Great Games", and where the focus of expansion in Europe is.

Rwanda, while conquered by the Buganda Caliphate for some time, has been re-established as the aforementioned Caliphate receded, though there are several key differences. Muslims and non-Muslims are quickly becoming as important a divide in Rwandan society as Hima (Hutu) and Tutsi divides. Although the Caliphate has gone, the elites in the Great Lakes region have been Islamised to some degree.
I think Fulani is an alternative name for the Sokoto Caliphate.
Yes and no. There are very strong parallels between the Fulani Sultanate and the Sokoto Caliphate of OTL, though there are a few differences. Although the Fulani were the key ethnic group in the Sokoto Caliphate, they aren't quite as focused on the city of Sokoto as OTL, and are more based around a tribal/ethnic Asabiyyah, an imported concept from the Middle East.
No, the Fulani are originary from a more northwestern part of the Sahel, OTL's Mauretania, I think.
Possibly but the OTL Sokoto Caliphate was formed by Fulani people.
Actually Fulani is the name of the people who created the caliphate.
Ok thanks my West African history is a bit shaky ya know.
It's alright. Not much can be learned from a place with the majority of cultures don't use a written language before colonization.
The Fulani make up a majority nowhere, but are traditionally herdsmen, scattered across the Sahel region. They were a leading force behind the creation of the Sokoto Caliphate in OTL, and were rather quite well represented in the elite of the Sahel.

South and Central America - 1829 to 1862
bolivar-en-el-paso-de-los-andes.jpg!Large.jpg

Erzsebet Fehér; The History of the New World after Independence

Citizens against Caudillos - Post-Independence Struggles

Spain’s American colonies, with the exception of her islands in the Caribbean, had gained independence by 1826. In Spain, this triggered the rising of the National Liberals and a change in the direction of the country, but in the former colonies themselves, this did not result in some of the changes hope for by some. With the exception of Chile, none of the emerging nations were Democracies in the sense that Allegheny was. Almost all of the Latin American nations had to face enormous internal divisions, mainly between liberal localism and conservative centralism. In Argentina, this turned into full scale Civil War between 1828 and 1839, after the assassination of the Caudillo Manuel Ortiz. Following the destructive civil war, the Federalists under the leadership of José O’Connor took power in Buenos Aries, but this marked the only full-scale triumph on the part of the regionalists in Latin America [1]. In Granada, there was some level of compromise, but in Mexico and Peru, the Caudillos managed to cling onto power with the support of the powerful landowning classes.

The emerging differences in the political situations of the former Spanish Colonies each had an impact on the economies of their respective countries. In Argentina the Federalists, who were admirers of Allegheny, wanted to create a nation of moderate yeoman farmers who would be free in an economic as well as a political sense. In reality however, this led to an economy which was more closed off to international trade than those of its neighbours, without the mineral resources of Chile and Peru or the large plantations seen in Lusitanian Brazil or Granada. In Mexico, although some concessions toward economic modernity were made such as the abolition of the tithe, the first part of its economic history following independence was largely one of stagnation. This began to change in 1850 with the discovery of gold in California. The region was dominated by large landowners who struggled to move labour from the densely populated southern half of Mexico to their estates to extract the gold. Eventually, these landowners settled on imported Chinese labour who could be easily controlled, and who by 1860 had grown to become a majority in the state of Alta California. This massive influx of foreigners in a sparsely populated region worried the government in Mexico City, who began imposing laws discriminating against the Chinese across the country.

Indeed, outside of Argentina and Chile, racial tensions began to play an ever larger part of politics in Latin America. In Lusitanian Brazil and Granada, slavery played a large part of the economy in both. In Brazil especially, not only was economic power determined by the number of slaves one owned, but so was one’s societal prestige. While both countries proved quick to import Western European fashions, there appeared to be far less stomach to import abolitionist sentiment from France and Britain. But as both of these powers clamped down upon the slave trade out of Africa, Lusitanian landowners had to turn to other sources. Many looked upon the growth of the slave economy in Columbia in North America and saw a system worth emulating, and across many plantations in Brazil, efforts were undertook to encourage a higher rate of reproduction among slaves. In Granada, where a greater amount of blacks were free, a system of discrimination kept them on the lowest rung in society, in a form of racial discrimination that proved much more amenable to European sensibilities.

Greater than the other racial tensions however was that between those of European or partial European descent in Peru, and the Indigenous peoples of the country, who made up a majority of the population. Initial efforts on the part of liberals following the 1828 Amerindian uprising to negotiate a balance of power between the two groups floundered on the opposition of the warlord who rose to become the undisputed leader of the country, Javier Diaz. Diaz instead instituted a policy of discrimination, favouring landowners and mestizos above the natives, who were for the most part denied any place in government whatsoever. With a hard line of repression, native demands for more equal treatment were silenced though this policy became untenable following the loss of the Argentine-Peruvian War in 1839. The weakness of Diaz’s government was exposed, and the largest native revolt since that of Tupac Amaru’s broke out initially among the Aymara people. In 1843, the revolt had spread to the Quechua people, and had engulfed almost the whole country. It was not until 1845 that the war ended, with Peru being split between a neo-Incan state in the East, and a Mestizo dominated rump Peru in the West.

The rise of the neo-Incan Republic, officially designated as Tawantinsuyu, the native name of the old Incan Empire was an interesting development, as it remains to date the only totally independent native polity in the Americas. The initial years after independence were marked by political chaos, as strongmen competed with each other and local councils over what form the nation would take. After a half decade of a low-intensity civil war, an Incan constitution based on the Argentine one was written, which declared the country as a bi-lingual federal republic. The Incan Parliament took to work building the new nation, undertaking land reform and improving infrastructure in the mountainous country. However, despite growing stability, the country began to fall behind economically, especially as neighbouring Peru entered the prosperous years of the “Guano Boom”. While free from famine in a way that native-ruled states in Asia were not, the Incan republic was far from being a prosperous state in the way that some other American nations were becoming, and its GDP remained significantly lower than all other nations in the Americas. Not for nothing did the French Prime Minister Louis de Villeneuve dismiss the Incan Nation as “An Asian country which has by the curiosities of history found itself in the New World”. The irony that the neo-Incan State was the only state in the Americas ruled by natives was clearly not lost on him.

The Nations of Central and South America were mostly on broadly similar paths in the first half of the 19th century, with only Argentina and Chile moving away from the pattern of ethnically stratified societies which were increasingly economically unequal. And coincidentally, it was only these states that had thus far managed to build democracies, though this was not to say that the desire for liberal and democratic reform was absent in other nations in the region, as the 1861 uprising in Mexico showed. While the region had either broken from the political control of Spain, or in the case of Brazil, had established itself as an equal with its mother country, it remained culturally linked to Europe. Economically too, independence seemed only to bring stronger economic ties to European countries, though it was more likely to be with Britain and France rather than Spain.

[1] – Because it just wouldn’t be a world worth living in if it wasn’t for Latin Americans of Irish descent.

salt-kettle-bermuda.jpg!Large.jpg

Change and Challenges - The Caribbean Islands

Although the islands of the Caribbean would not begin to gain independence until the turn of the century, this is not to say that the colonies in the region did not experience profound change in the 19th century. A widespread and organized rebellion had begun in the French island of Saint Domingue in the 1790s, and reached its height in the following decades when all of the mountains, as well as significant swathes of the lowlands on the island were controlled by black rebels. However, the rebels lost steam afterward, following the French ban of the slave trade and subsequently the institution of slavery (in 1810 and 1816 respectively) French troops were more effectively able to wage a campaign against the rebels. Following the defection of the Rebel commander Henri Holophene in 1819, the armed conflict on the island was over. This did not mark the end of tension in the colony of Saint Domingue though, as blacks and mulattos found themselves free yet heavily discriminated against by the planter classes. In the middle of the 19th century, hundreds of thousands of blacks from the colony emigrated to Louisiana, where much more free land for settlement was available and conditions were somewhat better. This trend was only somewhat lessened with the purchase of the Spanish half of Hispaniola.

Spain had lost most of her colonies on the American Mainland, but retained her possessions in the Caribbean. With the exception of Santo Domingo, which was sold to the French, Spain intended to hold in to her Caribbean colonies. In Cuba particularly, efforts were made to build on the earlier Bourbon reforms in reforming the administration of the islands. However, despite the slogan of “Prosperity and Justice” that the Spanish proclaimed following the National Liberal Coup, the Spanish colonies remained backward in many respects. Whereas Britain and France had banned Slavery in the 1810s and 20s, the Spanish continued to hold onto the institution. For the Spanish Planters in the colonies, slavery was crucial to maintain the profitable sugar and coffee industries, both of which provided much-needed revenue to Spain. While many National Liberal politicians in Spain personally opposed slavery, they were unwilling to challenge established interests in the colonies and jeopardise Spain’s precarious budgets. Despite the continuation of the institution of slavery, the free black population in Cuba far exceeded that of the slave-holding Republic of Columbia to the north.

Britain, who held most of the small islands in the Caribbean, as well as the larger island of Jamaica, saw less change outside the abolition of slavery. In Guyana, Britain’s largest colony left in the Americas, the colonist population was limited almost entirely to the coast, with much of the interior inhabited by natives with little or no contact with the Western world. As Britain concentrated on building an Empire in Asia, her remaining colonies in the Americas suffered something in the way of neglect. Even as slavery was abolished in the colonies, the white populations of the islands instituted perhaps the harshest system of racial segregation. In Jamaica, there was a rebellion on the part of the black population following a scandal in which the colonial government had been selling prisoners to slave traders in Columbia. It was this enormous shock which finally brought something in the way of change to Britain’s colonies as even the king himself made public condemnations of the officials involved in the trafficking. However, this did not change the dynamic of the islands, which largely remained as sugar-growing colonies run for the benefits of elites who lived back in London, Liverpool or Bristol.

Author's Notes - I publish this update with the caveat that my own knowledge on Latin America is rather weak, beyond an oddly required appreciation for their music. While still powerful, the Caudillo strongmen haven't quite gotten the whole of Latin America under their thumb, and this is likely to have much in the way of interesting ramifications in the future, as is the new Inca state. The mere presence of a Native-rule state in the Americas is likely to have an enormous impact on natives across the Continent, even if it is in what was the most populated part of the Americas before Columbus.

Saint Domingue remains under French rule, if unhappily. Just because slavery is gone does not resolve the deep racial inequalities of the island. Without a powerful America to threaten Cuba, things may turn out interestingly there in the future, though it could make it harder for Cuba to break away from Spain in the future unfortunately.

Comments/criticisms always welcome!

Possibly. Unfortunately, I know relatively little about the medium (the only Manga I actually own is Detroit Metal City).

A Philippines with the kind of cultural reach of Japan, or even South Korea (whose Dramas seen to be the hot thing in Southeast Asia at the moment) would certainly be an interesting proposition. The restive Moro aside, it would be interesting to see if it would affect the position of Christianity in Asia.

Around 1900, the Philippines had something in the order of 8 million people. Japan was somewhere in the whereabouts of 60 millions IIRC. (Currently, the Philippines are at around 100M and increasing, Japan in the 120M province and decreasing, in a couple of generations or less the Philippines might overtake Japan in pop. numbers).

Okay, the neo-Incan republic is a nice surprise! And interesting to see how its leaders are basing their rule on European forms of governance, with a parliament and all. Do they augment indigenous forms of rule at the local level? Given the struggles of their independence, I'd wager there would be a aversion to large landholdings and a call to "return" back to old traditions.

And the Mexican government's discrimination of Chinese workers has a lot of potential paths. Do they restrict the laborers from obtaining brides? And are the laborers allowed contact with the native tribes of California?

Many looked upon the growth of the slave economy in Columbia in North America and saw a system worth emulating, and across many plantations in Brazil, efforts were undertook to encourage a higher rate of reproduction among slaves.

Oh God, slave farms. :angry: Looks like Brazil has taken up the mantle of the OTL American South.