Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Random New World looks very gnarly, groovy and all that sauce. However, I can't help but think - how did the inhabitants get there if there was no Beringia?

What's so bad about glorified civilization? I'm throwing money at Pdox but I still don't have my glorified civilization :mad:

I agree, I don't see much wrong with it being a glorified civilization if it ever becomes that through addons. I doubt they will expand Conquest of Paradise to randomize the whole world BUT I could very well see mods that use the code added by the addon to do just that.

:rolleyes: What part of "option" do people not understand?

I don't get the impression he did not get it.

Is that supposed to be a be a bad thing? :confused:

teg

Yes, uh, that's what I meant!

What's so bad about glorified civilization? I'm throwing money at Pdox but I still don't have my glorified civilization :mad:

I agree, I don't see much wrong with it being a glorified civilization if it ever becomes that through addons. I doubt they will expand Conquest of Paradise to randomize the whole world BUT I could very well see mods that use the code added by the addon to do just that.

you guys all misunderstand. i think it would be a cool feature to have the entire world randomize. countries too. i think it would be neat. all that possibility...

Just to get a second opinion other than my brother, if I buy the Extreme Edition is that the same as if I bought the regular game and then bought the Digital Extreme Edition upgrade DLC?

Just to get a second opinion other than my brother, if I buy the Extreme Edition is that the same as if I bought the regular game and then bought the Digital Extreme Edition upgrade DLC?

Something like that. I bought the regular edition and it came with a DLC, but that was because it was a pre-order incentive.

Is that how they got there? I knew did not.

There was never a land bridge between Australia and Asia because of the multiple deep straits between the Wallace Line and the Lydekker Line, none of which were shallow enough to have been exposed dry land at the minimum sea level point. Humans must have had boats to be able to cross the open ocean between Sunda and New Guiana, from where they could then have walked to Australia over the Torres land bridge.

Anyways, on topic, I've known since it came out that I wanted this game, but I didn't get it until it went on sale this weekend. So far, I've only futzed around a little bit as France and England; in neither game did I distinguish myself, so I think I'm going to do a Portugal game soon-ish to learn the ropes, given the low landward threat level involved...

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
Something to laugh at:

Originally Posted by Amazon Reviewer

EU3 on Life Support

This review comes from a veteran player of the Europa Universalis 3 game. If you are a prolific cheater who plays this game aggressively with the intent of conquering the world - this review will be meaningful to you.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about Eu4. The graphics are greatly improved. I have put in close to a hundred hours playing the game and only crashed once. If you like to manipulate the save games the save games are easy to read and modify. If you like to manipulate the programming game code the programming code is easy to read and modify - BUT your changes only have a 50/50 shot of working (The .EXE must be overriding some changes?). Eu4's user interface is improved over EU3. There is a wealth of cheating options in EU4 - use the '~' key and type help.

I don't like EU4 for the following reasons:

It is impossible to play aggressively (even if you cheat).

They have introduced a new concept called a coalition. Everybody that you clobber in a war will end up joining the coalition against you. Playing as England, I had North American Indians, North Africans, and a host of Central & Northern European nations in the coalition against me. Coalition members ALWAYS join in when you attack another coalition member. The only coalition member you can make peace with is the leader of the coalition. In Eu3, if you fought a really big war you could get a LOT of provinces in the peace settlement - there does not seem to be such a bonus in EU4. It is possible to disable coalitions by changing the 'Europa Universalis IV/common/ai_attitudes/00_ai_attitudes.txt' file so that it says 'coalition = no' everywhere.

They have changed the concept of overextension. Overextension was a nuisance in EU3 but it carries nasty penalties in EU4. You now get overextension based on the number of non-core provinces you hold. As few as 5 or 6 non-core provinces can result in overextension. The good news is that you can make a province into a core in 4 to 10 years by 'building the core' like you build other province improvements. Even so, the EU4 concept of overextension is crippling to my style of play. I found a variable called 'overextension_percentage' in the programming files but changing this variable does not have any effect on when the adverse effects kick in.

In EU3, if your army got to a province before an enemy army could retreat out of that province - the armies fight a battle. In EU4, if you chase a retreating enemy army into a province and get there before the enemy can exit the province - there is a high probability that there will NOT be a battle. The enemy will retreat to another province and you will end up chasing them across the map until the enemy morale has recovered and the cycle repeats. I find this very irritating.

Colonization is a lot slower in Eu4. They may have made colonization more realistic - but I liked the Eu3 system a lot better.

I disabled 'pirates' in EU3 because they add nothing to the game and are very irritating. They are back in EU4 and they still don't add anything to the game.

Army forcelimits appear to be much smaller in EU4?

Overall - Paradox has not accommodated people who play aggressively and cheat shamelessly with this version of Europa Universalis. If you play this game with the intent of conquering & colonizing the whole world you will not like EU4.

Originally Posted by Workable Goblin

There was never a land bridge between Australia and Asia because of the multiple deep straits between the Wallace Line and the Lydekker Line, none of which were shallow enough to have been exposed dry land at the minimum sea level point. Humans must have had boats to be able to cross the open ocean between Sunda and New Guiana, from where they could then have walked to Australia over the Torres land bridge.

Anyways, on topic, I've known since it came out that I wanted this game, but I didn't get it until it went on sale this weekend. So far, I've only futzed around a little bit as France and England; in neither game did I distinguish myself, so I think I'm going to do a Portugal game soon-ish to learn the ropes, given the low landward threat level involved...

Holy crap! I was right?!

So I did a Portugal game and did okay, focusing totally on trade and colonization. Midway through I fell into a PU with Spain, then she tried to start annexing me; since I had no prospect of worming my way free, I opted to start a new game.

This time, I chose Muscowy. After an abortive early attempt, I went and looked at the Paradox boards and started over again, taking more care to use diplomacy this time around. This one lasted a lot longer than any of my prior games; I was able to fairly easily take out Novogorod, but it took me a long time to bring Ryazan in and annex them. And Lithuania...? Never did really get them; I waited while they were in a PU with Poland, which did eventually break, but they fell into a PU with a monstrous Austria before I could tear them up, since I was westernizing at the time, I think (ironically, Poland itself then fell into a PU with me!)

So mostly I focused on expanding into Siberia and the steppes, although the extremely powerful Ottomans also got involved there and checked my ability to expand, unfortunately. Later on I was able to beat down the Austrians (after they annexed Lithuania and I annexed Poland) while they were preoccupied with the Ottomans, but I haven't been able to completely take Lithuania because of overexpansion penalties, although I have been able to take most of Byelorussia and force them to release Ukraine (a mistake; I had thought that they would be my vassal, but they weren't and I couldn't force them to be). They later formed the HRE, though...

So all in all fairly successful but basically done. Right now I just started an Ironman game as the Ottomans, which so far is shaping up pretty well. I've taken down the Byzantines, secured Greece and Rhodes, and have vassalized or annexed all of the other Turkish states. I'm going to start pushing into the Balkans soon, or maybe take Trebizond depending on how the missions pan out. Knowing that I can't just reload has made me a bit more cautious than normal, although I'm really impressed that the Ottomans in the other game were able to keep on top of the technology and ideas game given their penalties (of course, they were lucky!)