For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Rock that size, it's going into all of us. A similarly sized object has been calculated to have "major effects on the climate and biosphere, which would be devastating to human civilization".
Ok, but what if it hit Mars?

Like, would the size of the settlement being so small that if it hit into Mars it would not only manage to survive the hit, but be in a position to mine it for exports?

I liked the part when the doctor says Alex is much healthier on Mars than on Earth, it acknowledges being conceived on the planet actually set him to be the first full Martianborn.

Seriously, I am disappointed by how Poole is acting.

Also, Dev and Steven stealing the asteroid? I want them to succeed just to piss off the Nasa...

I liked the part when the doctor says Alex is much healthier on Mars than on Earth, it acknowledges being conceived on the planet actually set him to be the first full Martianborn.
A first true Martian, although technically he was born in the orbit.

Also, Dev and Steven stealing the asteroid? I want them to succeed just to piss off the Nasa...
Damn it feels good to be a gansta...

Seriously, I am disappointed by how Poole is acting.

Jb1NCc9.jpg

How Dev is gonna hide a whole asteroid:

Ok, but what if it hit Mars?

Like, would the size of the settlement being so small that if it hit into Mars it would not only manage to survive the hit, but be in a position to mine it for exports?
So long as it's aimed at the other side of the planet or whereabouts, I think Happy Valley would probably be fine. Ed did mention in passing when he was showing Dani around that they grow most of their food on the base, but it's in hermetically sealed greenhouses, and given they'd by necessity have to be equipped to deal with dust storms already, it can probably handle the temporary global dimming from the dust clouds that such an impact would kick up. If not, Happy Valley is still small enough to resupply from Earth. Same with power; given their lack of solar panel fields I'm guessing the base has a fusion reactor. Marsquakes might be a problem, though probably less likely than earthquakes after such an impact on Earth, given Mars's lack of plate tectonics.

The problem is you just dropped all your precious iridium into a gravity well, and given you'll have to lift it back out to get it to Earth, a bunch of those economic benefits of asteroid mining are gone now. Unless, maybe, if you build a space elevator. And those are way easier to build on Mars than on Earth. So, if you want to make Mars a permanent settlement, and steal an asteroid in a way that presents Earth with a fait accompli, that's probably the way to do it.

As a bonus, it would heat up the planet and probably slightly thicken the atmosphere. So basically, get a tiny bit of terraforming done.

So long as it's aimed at the other side of the planet or whereabouts, I think Happy Valley would probably be fine. Ed did mention in passing when he was showing Dani around that they grow most of their food on the base, but it's in hermetically sealed greenhouses, and given they'd by necessity have to be equipped to deal with dust storms already, it can probably handle the temporary global dimming from the dust clouds that such an impact would kick up. If not, Happy Valley is still small enough to resupply from Earth. Same with power; given their lack of solar panel fields I'm guessing the base has a fusion reactor. Marsquakes might be a problem, though probably less likely than earthquakes after such an impact on Earth, given Mars's lack of plate tectonics.

The problem is you just dropped all your precious iridium into a gravity well, and given you'll have to lift it back out to get it to Earth, a bunch of those economic benefits of asteroid mining are gone now. Unless, maybe, if you build a space elevator. And those are way easier to build on Mars than on Earth. So, if you want to make Mars a permanent settlement, and steal an asteroid in a way that presents Earth with a fait accompli, that's probably the way to do it.

As a bonus, it would heat up the planet and probably slightly thicken the atmosphere. So basically, get a tiny bit of terraforming done.
Ok then, I'm going to guess that's whats up.

Still trying to figure the angle that Kelly's robots will play in all this.

Mining it from the Martian surface may also reduce the amount of ships that needed to be designed for the task and, despite the additional energy needs, end up being cheaper than mining it in orbit

Caught up to episode 6. Things are heating up and there are few good men on Mars.

Based on nothing I shall predict McCain for S5 and Obama for S6

So supposedly Canada didn’t join the M7. What are they doing instead?
The news report in the first episode of this season said Canada and China were two space powers that were invited to join the M7 but declined, saying they wanted to pursue their own projects in space independently for now. The fact that they were mentioned at all suggests to me that this is definitely going to tie into the story.

I suspect that with Margo not wanting to return to the USSR knowing that she's not safe there given Sergei's revelations about the new head of Roscosmos, and with her not likely being able to claim asylum in the US given she's a wanted criminal there, she may end up moving to Canada instead (and maybe Sergei would join her there). Either that or she gets a seat next to Mrs. Lee on a one-way flight to Mars.

Impressions so far from latest episode?

What do you think of Steve's own relationship with his grandson?
And Aleida, now that she has a new perspective of why Margo acted?

Non-spoiler thoughts:

In the best ways possible, that did not feel like a full episode. It went past so quickly I was actually surprised at the credits.

Ed's relationship with his Grandson is great to see, but I have a horrible premonition that something very bad is going to happen with this heist