"Here be Europeans" ~ Midas' first TL

My first TL! Though it is planned as a very long project, I procrastinate often and make promises I can't keep. Let me preface by saying that my TL is undoubtedly, in the traditional sense at the very least unlikely or at worst ASB (though I reject this). I don't attempt to hide or whitewash that my first goal is alternate historical fiction- not a rigorous or real counterfactual analysis, and that my goal is entertainment and fun over replicating some subjectively 'plausible' alternative narrative. Nonetheless, I feel it belongs here rather than on ASB board simply because (1) though I will often defer to the 'rule of cool' or personal biases for coming up with historical scenarios, I still apply a pretty rigorous research method and (2) though my goal is to entertain, I'm on an AH-forum- and I'm not going to resort to handwavium. I'll ground what I write in as much history as I can fit in.

That's all I can do really. Anyway, here it is: hopefully no glaring spelling or grammatical errors, I begin with Spain:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

'CID' SETS BOX-OFFICE RECORD
Alima el-Mu'tamid, reporter-correspondent for La Nacional

"Last weekend Alphonse Valeriez's 6-year masterpiece opened to shatter all box-office records- earning an estimated $38 million ESD in Spain alone on its first night. "It was an incredibly good watch" said Brandon Walwin, 19, a film-student at the Imperial University at York. "Stunning visuals, amazing story, superb acting and fantastic cinematography- Alphonse Valeriez is a helluva director". Indeed Valeriez has become a household name even here in Britain, where the much anticipated film- in production since 2000, pleased movie-watchers, critics and even politicans. "It made me proud" said Conservative Representative of San Román, Teodmir el-Quti, "[it made me] proud to be Spanish- proud of our history, our culture and our traditions. It was a good exercise in patriotism". Since the release of the film, historians and cultural experts have been catapulted in the national spotlight- with medianetworks and many viewers curious as to whether Raul Cuban's performance as the eponymous "Cid" were accurate portrayals of history, or merely more Burgosian fiction. "Well, it certainly wasn't a documentary if that's what you mean" said Professor Hadrien Suarez at the University of Toledo, "but much of what the film says is, well at least in terms of cinema, is at least based on accurate events". The professor scoffed when I asked him whether the Crossing of the Pillars was as it was portrayed in the film. "No, not likely" he said rolling his eyes, "of course films take quite a bit of dramatic license. From what we know, El Cid rarely led his army's charges in his conquest of Spain. He was a field general- if he was always fighting in the melee he'd've been killed".

El Cid, considered a national hero and founder of the Spanish nation, has always been the subject of much national intrigue and lore. The famous Pillars of Hercules built by his son, Emperor Diaz II, are said to bear his likeliness. King Teodoro III commissioned a famous bronze statue of Cid in 1436, which still stands at the center of his eponymous square in Old Toledo. The famous Spanish History, written by Mozarabic scholar and son of Cid's appointed Caliph, 'Abd al-Walid, is one of the earliest examples of Spanish writing and covers roughly 1250-1300 years of history. Although much of it remains controversial to modern scholars, the text is an invaluable window into some of the most important events in Spanish history- and though its objectivity has long since been discredited, it remains an integral piece of the Spanish literary canon and much of it inspired the interpretations of the film. "I read the whole damn thing" said Valeriez, slamming his coffee cup onto the table. "Every word, front to back, in Old Spanish. Then again in regular Spanish, so I could understand it all." Valeriez is no slouch in defending the historical material in both al-Walid's work and his own: "look, in writing history we are all just one person. But he did a good job- 1000 years ago. I think I did a good job here. Was every scene real? Did it all happen? Only God knows. But let me say this- the point isn't to replicate history, it's to interpret and present it through the medium of film. I can't capture every real moment, but I can capture the feeling and the essence of what it was."

While some historians continue to bemoan the dramatic liberties taken by the films, others remain excited. "He has always been apart of us" said Suarez, "all of us grew up on his stories. In recent years though I know, kids are hearing them less and less. I think this is a chance for them to get interested again, to look again and to learn about our history."

HISTORY NETWORK

"The recent box office success of "Cid" has prompted the History Network to put together a documentary on the famous Spanish leader- well-known throughout Spain but often relegated to just a footnote in the history of Britain. "We've done him before" says network producer Bolton Leaves, "definitely but this is just a chance to educate Britons a bit more on the real Cid- again, given the popularity of the film, a chance to expose them to the history behind it and learn the difference between some of the magic of cinema and what really went on back then". The documentary, set to air in spring, will comprise 13 episodes each about 35 minutes in length. "The format isn't anything special" Leaves chuckles, "the Spanish History was divided into 13 chapters. We do one an episode. They're pretty long, he had a lot to say".

The film "Cid", starring Raul Cuban as Emperor "El Cid" Diaz I and Judah De Castro as the Caliph al-Asad, has shattered industry first-day sales records and has catapulted Cid even into the oft-critical spotlight of Britain. The film is reportedly based on the historical works of 12th century Mozarabic scholar 'Abd al-Walim, nephew of the real Cid's close friend the Caliph of Cordoba 'Abd al-Asad. Emperor Diaz I, known throughout Spain and much of the world simply as "El Cid Campeador", united the Iberian Peninsula and the northern African provinces and is credited with founding the basis of the modern Spanish state. Orphaned by Christian raiders at the age of 9, Diaz would gain his name "Cid" from his reputed prolific skill in melee combat as well as his tactical military genius and legendary charisma. A mercenary for various Christian and Muslim states for much of his early life, he was twice exiled- first to southern Spain and then to Morocco, for over ten years. There he helped lead a massive Berber revolt which toppled the Almoravid Empire, and subsequently amassed a large multi-faith army to retake parts of southern Spain. According to the Spanish History his successes encouraged him to continue fighting northward, eventually conquering the whole of the Iberian peninsula- something that had not been done for more than 600 years. Crowning himself Dictator of the "Hispanic Empire" in 1096, his progressive religious views, unusually strong patriotism for his time and a pre-modern pluricultural policies have made him an extremely popular historical figure in Spain. He was a huge influence on its first Constitution in the 17th century and the name 'Cid' continues to be one of the most popular for male boys in the country and abroad in its former colonies.

I'm always open to criticism, ideas and to revision of past works- so any comments or criticisms are welcome! I haven't done much yet so I imagine, or hope I suppose, they'll be at a minimum :D

Last edited: