How long can Vermont stay Republican?

Vermont holds the record for the longest continuous streak in presidential elections, going Republican from 1856 until it voted for LBJ in 1964, and elected a Republican as governor from 1854 to 1962. How long could these streaks to continue? Is it possible for Vermont to vote Republican up to the present day?

It would help if the Conservatives and Southern element didn't take over the national Republican party. Though it's not really as much a factor today, there was for a very long time surviving moderate Republicans in the Northeast. Even as the national party voted for Reagan, you could still see moderate or moderate-conservative Republican governors and politicians.

That would definitely help. Even just keeping Vermont Republican in 1964 would help. After LBJ, Vermont stayed Republican until 1992. Maybe JFK doesn't get assassinated and/or someone better than Goldwater gets the GOP nomination?

Also looking at the 1962 gubernatorial election, Hoff beat Ray Keyser by barely 1% or 1300 votes. That election can easily be flipped, but I'm not sure how long Vermont would stay Republican with the demographic changes taking place.

Also looking at the 1962 gubernatorial election, Hoff beat Ray Keyser by barely 1% or 1300 votes. That election can easily be flipped, but I'm not sure how long Vermont would stay Republican with the demographic changes taking place.

What demographic changes are you talking about? I'm not sure demographics, or at least measurable ones beyond maybe income, have changed notably in Vermont ever.

What demographic changes are you talking about? I'm not sure demographics, or at least measurable ones beyond maybe income, have changed notably in Vermont ever.
FiveThirtyEight explained it pretty well.

Mostly during the 60s and 70s when people were leaving the NYC and Boston metro areas, more educated left-wing people settled in Vermont while more conservatives settled in New Hampshire. The development limitation in 1970 also attracted environmentalists which helped push Vermont further to the left.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
But, after electing Democratic Governor Howard Dean, Vermonters elected Republican Jim Douglas, even after they were sending Independent (and Man of the Left) Bernie Sanders back to the U.S. House of Representatives and later to the Senate. It is a land of ticket splitters.

*Several different Vermonters have told me, Bernie fights for seniors, Bernie fights for veterans. I don't know how widespread this view is, but it's at least somewhat widespread.