Ideal size of Constantinople

an ongoing issue with my timeline is the size of Constantinople in 2011. i always tend to go for the large side, but it might be unrealistic since it'll be near the border.

im just wondering, would Constantinople really be bigger (if so how much bigger) or smaller than the OTL counterpart?

interesting article. i guess the situatuion got bad enough to warrent that.

in past versions of my timeline, istanbul has 32 million people. i now consider that too big, and nearly impossible to sustain without desalinization plants or bigger aqueducts. or both.

would it be a better idea to make it smaller than usual? like anywhere from 500,000 to 10 million.

interesting article. i guess the situatuion got bad enough to warrent that.

in past versions of my timeline, istanbul has 32 million people. i now consider that too big, and nearly impossible to sustain without desalinization plants or bigger aqueducts. or both.

would it be a better idea to make it smaller than usual? like anywhere from 500,000 to 10 million.

I don't see why it would be smaller than OTL if its the capital (unlike present day Istanbul), and the Byzantines are least as successful/prosperous as modern Turkey.

It isn't impossible, but it isn't likely.