If Practicable: The Confederacy wins at Gettysburg.

Prologue
I just wanted to say before I get started that I know Gettysburg is one of the most common pod's for a Confederate victory TL so I acknowledge a certain lack of originality. But rest assured I mean to make the rest of the story as engaging as I can.

With that out of the way, let's get to it.

Following the defeat of Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside by General Lee at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December of 1862 as well as the humiliation of the failed "Mud Match" the following January, The Army of the Potomac was in pitiable conditions indeed suffering simultaneously a rising tide of desertions as well as plunging morale. Angered & shamed by the back-to-back defeats, Burnside sought to restructure the army by purging those whom he blamed for the loss at Fredericksburg.

Alas this action would lead to naught but more humiliation and frustration as without Congressional approval Burnside had no authority to remove any officers from him command. Seemingly at his wits end, Burnside submitted a letter of resignation to President Lincoln. The Commander-in-Chief in his usual conciliatory style, refused the General's offer to retire instead appointing him of the Department of the Ohio where he would spend the rest of the war.

With that somewhat uncomfortable matter settled, Lincoln set about determining a new commander for the Army of the Potomac, the fourth since the Army's founding. The President had become convinced that defeating Lee's Army of Northern Virginia had become a greater objective than taking the Confederate capital of Richmond. While his Generals agreed with this assessment, it was pointed out to the President that another attack on Richmond would be the most assured way to draw Lee into battle meaning another attack on the city was necessary regardless of whether it was the main target or not.

The man chosen to lead what would be the fifth assault on the Confederate capital would be Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker selected for his "pugnacious reputation" as well as his history of competence and most importantly aggression in his role as a subordinate. Ironically, after Hooker assumed command the Army of the Potomac would see something of the shake-up Burnside had wished to implement. Maj. Gen. William B Franklin a known supporter of George B. McClellan refused to serve under Hooker, disliking him personally as well as not wanting to serve under a man to whom he held seniority. Likewise Maj. Gen Edwin V. Summer retired due to age & poor health (he would pass away in late March). Brig. Gen. Daniel Butterfield was made Hooker's Chief of staff.

Hooker set about reforming the Army, doing away with Burnside's unwieldy system of grand divisions lacking the senior officers to command them properly. Further, he organized the calvary into a entirely separate corp under Brig. Gen. George Stoneman while taking the opposite approach with his artillery, splitting them among infantry commanders thereby removing the influence of artillery commander Brig. Gen. Henry J. Hunt. Such measures as well as improvements to things such as the soldiers diet & camp sanitary measures among a host of others built Hooker a reputation as a sterling administrator as well as significantly raising morale.

Hooker's initial plan was -on paper- superior to all his predecessors. Stoneman would lead 10,000 cavalryman across the Rappahannock river to raid deep into the Confederate rear. This would -in theory- threaten Lee's lines of communication and supply to the point that he would have to abandon his fortified positions along the river to withdraw towards Richmond thereby allowing Union infantry to cross in pursuit. Unfortunately the weather conspired to aid the Confederacy as when the Union cavalry attempted to cross on April 13 heavy rains forced a withdrawal. None were as disappointed as President Lincoln himself who remarked "I greatly fear it is another failure already."

Keen to salvage the situation -and possibly save his new command- Hooker set about divising a new plan which he presented to the President as well as War Secretary Edwin M. Stanton and General in Chief Henry W. Halleck in Aquila on the 19th. Plan B was essentially a revised version of Plan A with the cavalry still still crossing to go on a raiding mission but this time 42,000 of the V, XI & XII Corps would stealthily cross the river further upstream before heading south, crossing the Rapidan river, concentrate at the Chancellorsville crossroads before attacking Lee's Army from the West. Simultaneously 10,000 men from the II Corps would cross at the U.S Ford to join with the V Corps to keep the Confederates away from the river while 40,000 more men of the I & VI Corps under Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick would cross the Rappahannock under Fredericksburg to engage the Confederates under Lt Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. All the while, another 25,000 men would remain visible at camp to distract the Confederate forces from the flanking maneuvers. All this, Hooker believed, would force Lee to either retreat or fight on unfavorable ground.

Starting April 27th, the Union plan was set in motion. The initial three Corps of the Army of the Potomac crossed both rivers as planned and assembled at the hamlet of Chancellorsville which was in truth nothing more than a single, large brick mansion at the junction of the Orange Turnpike and Orange Plank Road owned by the Frances Chancellor family some of whom remained in the home during the battle. On April 30th Hooker arrived and made the mansion his headquarters. That same day saw Stoneman's calvary begin their second attempt to cross the Rappahannock as well as both divisions of the II Corps cross the U.S Ford without opposition.

In his Fredericksburg headquarters, Lee remained unaware of the Union forces movements until the cavalry of Jeb Stuart managed to get around Stoneman's calvary to report back. Not informed of the danger his army was in, Lee refused to engage in either of the ways Hooker predicted. Instead the aristocratic Virginian made the bold decision to divide his forces against a numerically superior for, violating one of the cardinal rules of warfare for the era. His hope was that by defeating a portion of Hooker's forces, he could prevent the full power of the Union army from descending upon him. Convinced Sedgwick would not be a serious threat, he decided to move 4/5ths of the Army of Northern Virginia against the men assembling at Chancellorsville.

On May 1st Jackson met up with the forces of Maj. Gens Lafayette McLaws & Richard H. Anderson the former having come to join a defensive position. Jackson dismissed the idea of defense and instead ordered an advance down both roads, with McLaws heading down the Turnpike and Jackson & Anderson taking the river road. At the same time Hooker ordered Meade's V Corps to advance down the river road while the remaining division advanced down the Turnpike. Inevitably these forces collided with McLaws attacking Union forces at 11:20 am which was beaten back. Maede likewise made good progress down the Turnpike towards Blank's Fort. Despite his advantages position, Hooker refused to press an attack having decided previously to allow Lee punch himself out before going on the offensive.

This would prove a disastrous mistake. Having been handed the initiative, Lee was determined not to waste it. General Jackson would play a key role in the Confederate assault. He was to lead 28,000 men against the Union's right flank. While he would have Jeb Stuart covering him, Jackson's men stood great risk of discovery. The biggest threat they faced was an attack by men under Maj. Gen. Daniel E. Sickles but by 5:00pm the Union forces had been overwhelmed.

As the day wore on, the men of the XI Corps became increasingly aware that something was happening to their west but repeated messages sent up the chain of command were ignored due to the units low status in the army. At 5:30pm Jackson ordered his men to attack the XI Corps as they say down for supper, their weapons stacked & unloaded. The scene was absolute chaos, many Union soldiers who tried to resist where knocked over by their own fleeing comrades. Captain Hubert Dilger who commanded Battery 1 of the 1st Ohio Artillery distinguished himself by not only forcing the Confederates from the Turnpike for a time with his guns but after the men of his unit retreated, he stood alone firing at the enemy with double shotted cannisters. Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard whose decisions were responsible for putting his Corp in such a disadvantages position, managed to partially redeem himself as he braved heavy rifle fire with a flag under the stump of his amputated arm as de desperately tried to rally his men though only small pockets answered him before the Corps disintegrated. Col. Adolf Buschbeck's men took control of Dilger's abandoned cannons to mount one final stand before they too were forced to retreat.

By nightfall the Confederacy had advanced 1. 25 miles with Chancellorsville within sight. Jackson, always eager to press the attack, rode onto the Plank Road to determine the feasibility of a night attack. This posed great danger to Jackson as it meant travelling beyond the farthest advances of his own men. Indeed disaster nearly struck when members of the 18th North Carolina Infantry initially confused the General and his entourage for Union calvary though Jackson was able to convince Major John D. Barry of his identity before shots were fired[1]. While a night attack ultimately proved unfeasible, the Confederate army still obtained victory with the Union forces beginning their retreat on May 4th.

1. IRL this incident resulted in Jackson's death.

Last edited:
The Battle of Gettysburg.
With the Union turned away at Chancellorsville, General Robert E. Lee determined that the time had come to launch a second invasion of the North. While it can be safely assumed that Lee was motivated in part by a search for redemption following his failed Maryland campaign the previous year which had culminated in the Battle of Antietam perhaps the single bloodiest battle of the entire war, Lee's thinking was motivated by more than avenging any perceived slight to his personal honor.

The main objectives of what has been retroactively dubbed the Gettysburg campaign was to disrupt the Union's plans for any summer campaigns as well as moving focus away from war ravaged Virginia. Lee assembled a massive army 72,000 strong with which he could feasibly threaten cities such as Baltimore, Philadelphia and even Washington DC itself. This would, the general hoped, strengthen the peace movement amougst Northern politicians.

On June 3rd 1863 the Army of Northern Virginia departed from Fredericksburg Virginia heading northward. Six days later the first fighting of the campaign took place when calvery under J.E.B Stuart were ambushed by a combined arms force lead by Union Maj. Gen Alfred Pleasonton at Brandy Station near Culpeper Virginia with Stuart's men emerging victorious[1]. By the fifteenth, The Confederates had scored additional victories at Windchester & Martinsburg and Jackson's[2] Second Corp had begun to cross the Potomac river. The Union forces, still under the command of General Hooker followed on the 25th in an effort to keep themselves between the capital and the advancing rebels.

The Confederate troops were under strict orders to minimize any negative effects on the local population with food, horses and other supplies only being seized if the owner attempted to hide them. Regardless town such as York Pennsylvania were forced to pay indemnities under threat of destruction. Furthermore when individuals and businesses were payed it was with either Confederate money or promissory notes which were both considered worthless. Without doubt the most shameful action taken by the Confederates was the seizure of between 40-60 African Americans. While some of these individuals were escaped slaves many more were freemen, all were transported to the South under armed guard.

Gettysburg would get its first taste of the battle to come on June 26th a division of the Second Corp under Brigadier[3] General Jubal Early occupied the town which he laid under tribute though the supplies collected were not considered significant. He then ordered his troops burn several railway cars as well as a covered bridge in addition to destroying nearby rails and telegraph lines. Satisfied, Lee's "Bad old man" left for York county the following morning.

Around this time the Army of the Potomac experienced a major shake-up when a dispute over the use of the garrison stationed at Harpers Ferry lead to General Hooker offering his resignation. After failures such as Chancellorsville, President Lincoln and General in Chief Henry W. Halleck were eager to be rid of him and immediately accepted. He was replaced on the morning of June 28 by commander of the Fifth Corp, Maj. Gen George G. Meade.

On June 30, Confederate troops would return to Gettysburg when the 22nd North Carolina Infantry under Brig. Gen J. Johnston Pettigrew arrived looking for shoes[4]. As they approached however, they spotted Union cavalry under Maj. Gen John Buford advancing from the south. Pettigrew following Lee's order not to engage, withdrew to Cashtown where he reported his findings. His superiors didn't believe him however and dispatched a reconnaissance force to determine Union strength in the area.

Buford anticipated a Confederate advance from the west and arranged a defense along a trip of ridges outside of town, Herr Ridge, McPherson Ridge & Seminary Ridge. At 7:30 a.m on July 1st two Confederate brigades under James J. Archer & Joseph R. Davis respectively advanced along the Chambersburg line and though they encountered solid resistance by 10:20 a.m they had driven Union troops back to McPherson Ridge. Archer would later be captured trying to advance up North of the pike by the Iron Brigade under Brig. Gen Solomon Meredith.

Commander of the First Corp Maj. Gen John F. Reynolds was killed early in the fighting and was replaced by Maj. Gen Abner Doubleday. Under his command fighting would briefly halt around 12:30 only to resume approximately two hours later Pettigrew returned alongside a Brigade under Col. John M. Brockenbrourgh. The 22nd North Carolina would flank the 19th Indiana and the Iron Brigade would be pushed to Seminary Ridge.

As fighting raged in the West, Stonewall Jackson's Second Corp would advance to Cashtown before turning on the Carlsire and Harrisburg roads before turning towards Gettysburg. At the same time, the Union XI Corp under Maj. Gen Oliver B. Howard raced north on the Baltimore pike. By early afternoon the Union's defense ran a semicircle west, north & northeast of the city. Alas this left the Union without enough men so reserve brigades were thrown in to strengthen the line.

Around 2:30 p.m Confederate troops under Early & Maj. Gen Robert E. Rodes attacked and out-flanked the Union 1st & 11th Corps. Early benefited from a blunder by the 11th who attempted to move to Barlow's Knoll allowing Early's troops to encircle them. Rodes on the other hand suffered heavy casualties as he engaged the First Corp. As Union forces to his west & north collapsed Gen. Howard ordered a retreat to Cemetery Hill to the south of town.

It was around this time Maj. Gen Winfred S. Hancock arrived, having been sent by Meade upon learning of Reynolds death to assume command and determine if Gettysburg was a suitable place to offer battle. Hancock stated it was telling Howard "I think this is the strongest position by nature upon which to fight a battle I ever saw" when Howard agreed Hancock responded "Very well sir, I select this as the battle-field".

General Lee likewise understood the importance of the defensive position Cemetery Hill offered. He sent a message to General Jackson telling him to "carry the occupied by the enemy, if he found it practicable, but to avoid a general engagement until the arrival of the other divisions of the army." Jackson's subordinate Richard S. Ewell argued that such an action was not "practicable" citing the battle fatigue of the men. Jackson countered that Lee, the Virginia gentleman that he was, only phrased it that way as a courtesy and meant his statement as a command. Ewell then offered an alternative, take the neighboring Colp's Hill which would make the Union position untenable.

This earned a rebuttal from Jubal Early who warned of Union reinforcements advancing on the York Pike. Jackson's tendency towards action won out however and he determined the gamble of Colp's Hill to be worth the risk. The Second Corp advanced on Colp's Hill where they discovered the 7th Indiana infantry under Brig. Gen. James S. Wadsworth digging in after their own gruelling battle on Seminary Ridge. Both sides were already exhausted but the element of surprise proved just enough to carry the rebels to victory[5].

When Meade heard of the news late that night, he was infuriated. The loss of Colp's Hill put their position in Cemetery Ridge at risk and if that fell the Union's entire defensive line would be rendered untenable. The next morning Union commanders throughout the line received new orders, the Army of the Potomac would fall back to the Double Pipe Creek where a new defensive line would be established[6]. Thus the Battle of Gettysburg would ultimately enter the history books as a footnote, a relatively minor skirmish before the much more important events to come.

1. Everything as otl so far.
2. By this point IRL the Second Corp was under the command of General Ewell.
3. By this point IRL Early had been promoted to Major General.
4. Yes, they actually came to Gettysburg looking for shoes. Speaking as a lifelong North Carolinian, the Confederate army was a shit show.
5. Obviously Colp's Hill never fell in otl.
6. This was actually his original plan otl.

Last edited:
I can't resist a good ACW TL. You're right that the PoD isn't original, but who cares? I wish you the best of luck and I look very forward to where this story goes!

Apparently John White Geary was nowhere near of Culp's Hill. A pity for the Union, methinks.
He wasn't mentioned in the source I was using so I'm not sure where he was.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far. If you have any ideas of what could happen next, don't be afraid to share as this is my first story covering the events of a war and I'm researching as I go.

If you have any ideas of what could happen next, don't be afraid to share as this is my first story covering the events of a war and I'm researching as I go.
Well, since you mentioned it....
One thing I always think about in relation to Gettysburg is the British reaction to it. I forget his name, but there was a British politician who I believe put a motion to Parliament to offer mediation to end the war with Confederate independence. The CSA losing the battle put an abrupt end to that. Had the south won, perhaps something might have changed. Even if it didn't, it would still embolden the south and make the British more likely to work with them.

Just something I thought I'd put out there. Looking very forward to where you decide to go with this!

Edit: Sorry, some other things came to mind. Anti-war fever in the north is something to keep in mind. If Gettysburg is a crushing defeat for the Union, it would embolden the Copperheads. It would make Lee's image even larger than in OTL and would make the defeatist nature of the Army of the Potomac even worse. General Meade would almost surely be out. Perhaps he would be replaced with Sickles (which almost surely wouldn't end well for the north) or Hancock (who was wounded, but would likely be better once he recovered).

Either way, it would make the morale situation much worse for the Union and much better for the Confederacy, even though Vicksburg still falls as OTL.

Anyway, I have a lot of thoughts and ideas on this and I could probably ramble for a while. Hopefully my ramblings at least provide food for thought.​

Last edited:
So British intervention could be on the horizon even at this point in the war? Interesting. Having said that, I think it's too for the CSA to achieve a victory that has a Confederacy beyond the original 11 states and they might be lucky to have even that. Of course, I can't speak too much given that both my attempts at a Confederate victory TL ended in disaster. But still, keep up the good work.

So British intervention could be on the horizon even at this point in the war? Interesting. Having said that, I think it's too for the CSA to achieve a victory that has a Confederacy beyond the original 11 states and they might be lucky to have even that. Of course, I can't speak too much given that both my attempts at a Confederate victory TL ended in disaster. But still, keep up the good work.
Balance of power in North America. A hostile CSA would hamstring the USA and keep it from "liberating" Canada. I suspect they'd take the West Coast, Nicaragua and Sandwich Islands. France in Mexico and Panama would complete the encirclement.

The Russians sent fleets to NY and SF in 1863. They threatened to enter the war on the union side. When the Confederate cruiser Shenandoah prepared to attack San Francisco, the Russian admiral gave orders to defend the city in the absence of Union warships.

“God bless the Russians!” Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles.

extremes-meet-67b5a.jpg

Last edited:
So British intervention could be on the horizon even at this point in the war?
I believe so, yes. There are those who believe that the motion was doomed to failure as the British would just never support a slavery supporting nation. I disagree. Either way, the motion failed due to the drop in support after the Confederate loss at Gettysburg. Who knows how it would have gone had they won.
Having said that, I think it's too for the CSA to achieve a victory that has a Confederacy beyond the original 11 states and they might be lucky to have even that.
I agree. A southern victory at this point will almost surely see them only get the 11 seceded states. Perhaps a British mediated peace could see some sort of plebiscite in states like Kentucky, but that seems unlikely imo.​

Last edited:
Balance of power in North America. A hostile CSA would hamstring the USA and keep it from "liberating" Canada. I suspect they'd take the West Coast, Nicaragua and Sandwich Islands. France in Mexico and Panama would complete the encirclement.

The Russians sent fleets to NY and SF in 1863. They threatened to enter the war on the union side. When the Confederate cruiser Shenandoah prepared to attack San Francisco, the Russian admiral gave orders to defend the city in the absence of Union warships.

“God bless the Russians!” Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles.

extremes-meet-67b5a.jpg
I've never understood why this rumor persists. The Russians never threatened to join the war. They had no interest & no reason to. They sent their fleet to the Union so that their fleet wouldn't be trapped in their ports like it was in the Crimean War. There was a war scare over Poland at the time. That was it. The Russians were never going to join the war. They were still modernizing their military & learning from their mistakes from the Crimean War.

The Union spread the rumor of Russian support because it sounded good & was a morale victory. The Russians were friendly to the Union, but they were never going to actually get involved.

Reactions to Gettysburg.
Union response to the defeat at Gettysburg can, with the benefit of hindsight, be described as something of an overreaction. Newspapers ran entire articles calling for citizens to rally to the defense of Baltimore, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and even Washington DC respectively, each seemingly convinced that they were the next target in Lee's path of destruction. Ultimately however, Lee's next move was rather anti-climatic. He would spend the better part of two weeks requisitioning supplies from around Pennsylvania and Maryland before falling back to Virginia after hearing of the fall of Vicksburg on July 4th.

This isn't to say that the Confederacy didn't gain any material benefits. The previous month had seen Vice President Alexander Stephens had convinced President Davis to make overtures regarding the exchange of military prisoners. Davis ultimately agreed with the understanding that the effort would be launched in coordination with Lee's Northern campaign. As fate would have it, it would be on July 4th that Stevens reached the Union Navy off Newport New, Virginia and was able to pass his request for talks through Admiral Samuel Phillips Lee (a cousin to General Lee) who passed the request up to Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles.

President Lincoln gathered his cabinet the following day. The message from Stephens had arrived after news of both the defeat at Gettysburg and the victory at Vicksburg. The President read a note from Col. Ludlow, United States agent for exchange of prisoners then stunned the attendants by admitting that not only was he considering agreeing to the talks but even going in person. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase lead the opposition to the meetings arguing against any kind of communication with the insurgents. The rest of the cabinet -likely mindful of the fact that there was currently a Rebel army on Union soil that could theoretically march on the capital- would strike a more moderate tone. Eventually a compromise was reached[1], the President would send representatives to Fortress Monroe -which the Union had held throughout the war despite being on Virginia territory- with talks happening there.

Various witnesses would claim that Stephens would try to to turn the meeting into an impromptu peace conference, though this has never been confirmed. It is debatable if Stephens would attempt something so far beyond the scope of Davis' plan for the meeting though the notoriously frosty relationship the two men shared give it some credence. Regardless if the Vice President attempted such a thing it ended in failure although he was able to extract a limited prisoner exchange in addition to establishing a more formal process for future discussion.

The Confederate population was elated by the unfolding events (thanks in part to Confederate press largely ignoring the defeat at Vicksburg) the gallant General Lee had won them another victory and Vice President Stephens (whom had kept quiet for much of the war so far) had won the first diplomatic concession from the Union since independence had been declared. Surely, people told themselves, this was the first sign of the end of hostilities.

But perhaps the aftermath of both the battle and the ensuing diplomatic talks were felt most across the Atlantic. On June 30, British MP John Roebuck introduced a measure in Parliament calling for the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland to recognize the Confederacy as an independent nation. British public opinion had been split since the wars inception, with The Confederacy tending to have support from the elites: the aristocracy and the landed gentry, which identified with the Southern planter class, and Anglican clergy and some professionals who admired tradition, hierarchy and paternalism while the Union was favored by the middles class, religious Nonconformists, intellectuals, reformers and most factory workers, who saw slavery and forced labor as a threat to the status of the working man (although most Brits didn't voice their opinion on the matter). The government was likewise divided with Chancellor of the Exchequer William Ewert Gladstone in favor of the Confederacy (his own family's fortune came from slavery in the West Indies before 1833), Foreign Minister Lord Russell favoring neutrality and Prime Minister Lord Palmerston alternating between supporting independence, his own personal distaste of slavery & the advantages of neutrality on the British economy. There had even been plans to bring forth a motion to recognize the Confederacy in 1862 but this was scuttled by the failure of the Maryland campaign. It was thought that Roebuck's motion might face similar hurdles but the news of the victory at Gettysburg, the fact that the Union was prepared to negotiate with the South & the New York Draft riots provided a boost to the bills defenders. Likewise the events in America had gathered the attention of Emperor Napoleon iii of France who had offered to jointly mediate an end to the conflict alongside Britain & Russia the previous year. Napoleon was predisposed to the Confederacy as they, unlike the Union, were prepared to at least tolerate the Emperor's venture in Mexico.

It would take some time for the foreign powers to decide how to proceed with the ongoing conflict in North America with each party maintaining the "wait and see" policy they had until this point. Still the Confederate States had, if nothing else, bought themselves valuable breathing room, the question on everyone's mind was, what would they do with it?

1. IRL Stephans was rebuffed via telegraph and returned to Richmond in failure.

Great TL and subscribed

I'm doubtful that this battle of Gettysburg would make Europe sit up and take notice any more than Chancellorsville did. Like you said it's more a footnote and still tied to the Loss of Vicksburg which was a Huge blow to the southern war efforts. Gettysburg often overshadows Vicksburg. The Defeat at Gettysburg was a very bad day for Lee the loss of Vicksburg was the noose snapping around the Confederacy's neck.

And Meade is still sitting on the Pipe Creek line. That is the ground where they were wanting to fight. And it's damn good ground too.

On June 30, British MP John Roebuck introduced a measure in Parliament calling for the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland to recognize the Confederacy as an independent nation.
Yes! That's his name. John Roebuck. I couldn't remember his name & I failed to find him after I mentioned it. I'm glad you had more success than me.
Great TL and subscribed

I'm doubtful that this battle of Gettysburg would make Europe sit up and take notice any more than Chancellorsville did. Like you said it's more a footnote and still tied to the Loss of Vicksburg which was a Huge blow to the southern war efforts. Gettysburg often overshadows Vicksburg. The Defeat at Gettysburg was a very bad day for Lee the loss of Vicksburg was the noose snapping around the Confederacy's neck.

And Meade is still sitting on the Pipe Creek line. That is the ground where they were wanting to fight. And it's damn good ground too.
I respectfully disagree. Would it necessarily lead to foreign recognition & intervention? No, but I think it might "make Europe sit up and take notice" as you say. The Emancipation proclamation definitely put a serious road block up to foreign recognition, but it wasn't completely out of the picture in my humble opinion.

In regards to Meade and Pipe Creek, it seems like Lee decided not to test it in this TL. He's gone back to Virginia which is what I think he would have done. He might have lightly tested the Pipe Creek line, but I doubt he'd attempt to assault that strong position.

The biggest effect of this is the strength of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia in comparison to OTL. It'll be much stronger and Union morale will take a hard hit. Of course, all of this can change, but it makes the Confederate position much stronger, at least in the eastern theatre.

One other thing I figured I might bring up for you to think about @Dude-a-Buck is the issue of the Laird Rams. Your PoD leaves that situation still unresolved & I've always felt is an issue that is too often overlooked in alternate history. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can just look up something along the lines of "American Civil War Laird Rams". These ships could have been very useful for the Confederacy and brought about a brief war scare between the Union and Great Britain. In my opinion, it was the closest war scare at the time after the Trent Affair.

Anyway, you could just have it be resolved as it was in OTL, but it could be something to play around with if you wish. Just figured I'd put it out there, hope that's alright.

Still enjoying this story and I'm looking forward to where you decide to take it!

One other thing I figured I might bring up for you to think about @Dude-a-Buck is the issue of the Laird Rams. Your PoD leaves that situation still unresolved & I've always felt is an issue that is too often overlooked in alternate history. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can just look up something along the lines of "American Civil War Laird Rams". These ships could have been very useful for the Confederacy and brought about a brief war scare between the Union and Great Britain. In my opinion, it was the closest war scare at the time after the Trent Affair.

Anyway, you could just have it be resolved as it was in OTL, but it could be something to play around with if you wish. Just figured I'd put it out there, hope that's alright.

Still enjoying this story and I'm looking forward to where you decide to take it!
I wasn't familiar with the story of the Laird Rams but what I've found so far sounds like a fun bit of espionage. Definitely something to consider going forward.

As for Roebuck, I was actually searching through previous Gettysburg posts for inspiration on how Lee would conduct himself after a win at Gettysburg and someone had mentioned him so that was a lucky break.