Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY

Explosion at Stockholm Olympic Stadium Deemed Intentional - Developing
(Turner News Network - February 6, 2024)

The explosion early this morning on the grounds of Stockholm's Olympic Stadium in Solna, Sweden, on the fifth day of the 2024 Winter Olympic Games, has now been ruled by the Swedish National Police's Special Investigations Group as being "an intentional terrorist act." One stadium employee is dead and six are injured in the first major terrorist attack on Swedish soil in decades and dozens of Olympic events have been postponed today and tomorrow, and the city has been placed on a full lockdown as police and army deploy across Stockholm. Prime Minister Ebba Busch assured Swedes that "all resources needed for this investigation are being made available to Stockholm and the National Police" and vowed "those who committed this act, will be brought to swift justice." More than eight hours after the attack, there has still not been any claim of responsibility by any active group.

Arriving in San Antonio this morning for the 22nd North American Leaders Summit, President Brian Sandoval extended his condolensces "and those of the American people" to Sweden and stated that he would likely be calling Prime Minister Busch "when it is practical for her to take my call - I imagine she's got a heck of a lot on her plate right now." Similar sentiments were voiced by the summit's host, Texas President Matthew McConaughey, as well as Canadian Prime Minister Peter Julian in their joint press conference this day ahead of the summit's beginning this afternoon.
Norwegian separatists? Is Norway still part of Sweden in 2024?

Unless the Confederates are stupid enough to pull a Putin, at which point McConaughey turns into a grizzled war leader.
The US’s tripwire forces, particularly its Air Force, in the Ohio Valley and trans-Potomac Maryland would not react well to such a move
Norwegian separatists? Is Norway still part of Sweden in 2024?
Good guess, but no. Norway is nonetheless economically and politically tighter with Sweden ITTL present day than OTL.

I have a different, very batshit ideology in mind for what’s emerged as a problem in the 2020s
Rogue Minnesota Norwegian-Americans traveled to Sweden where they met up with local Norwegian seperatists and launched the attacks :)
This is definitely a thing that will happen, at some point

I have a different, very batshit ideology in mind for what’s emerged as a problem in the 2020s
The Prime Minister you mentioned seems to be one of those new right-wing populists of OTL. Extremely anti-immigration, willing to deal with groups who were originally disliked by the right-wing, and pro-EU for a degree.
I am not sure but is it involving Islamic terrorism, you said it is batshit so...
Death cult?
Anarcho-primitivism (or whatever the hell was that weird thing called)?
Islamic death cult?

The Prime Minister you mentioned seems to be one of those new right-wing populists of OTL. Extremely anti-immigration, willing to deal with groups who were originally disliked by the right-wing, and pro-EU for a degree.
I am not sure but is it involving Islamic terrorism, you said it is batshit so...
Death cult?
Islamic death cult?
Salafi-inspired Jihadism ITTL will not be a major factor in the Middle East what with a stronger OE and the Qajars surviving.

Your first two guesses are much closer.

Death cult?
Islamic death cult?
I think we had a post in this thread showing Australia being involved in a sort of "war on terror" in OTL Indonesia but other than than that I imagine that most US/European people TTL would not associate "terrorist" with "Muslim" in any way.

Something insane coming out of Latin America pehaps? If "death cult" is accurate...someone trying to revive native religions that included human sacrifice?

I want to get there soon, though it’s definitely a good amount ahead of Canada/Texas even if not where it lands OTL. I’d say more of a 50k GDP per cap economy rather than a 60k one

it does; that’s part of what brings its economy down a notch, incidentally. But of all our Anglosphere countries mentioned, Oz has the least problems, at least in present day

Correct

EDIT: Goodell resigns early in disgrace, I don't believe I've revealed his VP who becomes President
I was going to object that of course you have to have one of Goodell and Schweitzer resign early since this TL wouldn't have two re-elected presidents in a row serve 8 years, but then I checked OTL, and you don't have two presidents in a row serve two terms straight through between Madison/Monroe to Clinton/W!

I think we had a post in this thread showing Australia being involved in a sort of "war on terror" in OTL Indonesia but other than than that I imagine that most US/European people TTL would not associate "terrorist" with "Muslim" in any way.

Something insane coming out of Latin America pehaps? If "death cult" is accurate...someone trying to revive native religions that included human sacrifice?
Hmm. How about the idea of Guatemala having a *worse* 20th century than France (yes, I know that may take work), with the primary resistance to Mexican/US domination ending up with a return to the Maya religion including the Sacrifices.

I think the author shot down the idea of the FLDS being *that* level of terroristic threat.

Correct. In part, this is because I think you cannot separate the clusterfuck of the modern Middle East from the violent collapse of the Ottomans and Sykes-Picot thereafter; while I think the OE’s relationship with its Arab-speaking subjects was more complicated than it gets credit for, a different resolution in the Levant plus all that oil money likely leads to more stable, though still corrupt, Mideast polities. A more chaotic end to Dutch colonialism in the East Indies, however…

We’ll have ethnocacerism as a batshit LatAm ideology but I do like neo-Mayan human sacrifice as a sort of alt-Khmer Rouge idea…
I was going to object that of course you have to have one of Goodell and Schweitzer resign early since this TL wouldn't have two re-elected presidents in a row serve 8 years, but then I checked OTL, and you don't have two presidents in a row serve two terms straight through between Madison/Monroe to Clinton/W!
Good point!
No, but I'm guessing the attacks that are "decades" ago would be Norwegian...
Correct.
Anprims whose response to presumably worse environmental damage is ?
Something along those lines

Correct. In part, this is because I think you cannot separate the clusterfuck of the modern Middle East from the violent collapse of the Ottomans and Sykes-Picot thereafter; while I think the OE’s relationship with its Arab-speaking subjects was more complicated than it gets credit for, a different resolution in the Levant plus all that oil money likely leads to more stable, though still corrupt, Mideast polities. A more chaotic end to Dutch colonialism in the East Indies, however…

We’ll have ethnocacerism as a batshit LatAm ideology but I do like neo-Mayan human sacrifice as a sort of alt-Khmer Rouge idea…

Good point!

Correct.

Something along those lines
Hmm. Ethnocacerism.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocacerism ) iOTL, that combined the Native population support of the Quecha in Peru with idealizing Andrés Avelino Cáceres a Mestizo who led opposition to the Chileans in the War of the Pacific (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Avelino_Cáceres).

iTTL Cáceres would see the GAW restore what he fought and lost to preserve in the Pacific War (I think it was at the same time iTTL).
I've seen a couple of TL with Bolivia going ethno communist, but this is the first one with an ethnofascist movement in the area.

So Ethnocacerism is a "Let's throw the Europeans out of the Americas" movement. I'm curious on two things here. One is the relationship between the Ethnocacerists with Bolivia, which , I believe iOTL has the highest percentage of population in the Americas of native or part native ethniticity. The *other* question is the relationship (if *any* !) between the Ethnocacerists and Sequoyah. I'm guessing none, I figure the Quecha and the various tribes in Sequoyah have about as much in common as the Celts and the Armenians.

Weather doesn't usually dissuade people from hedonistic enterprises

Not indoor hedonistic enterprises, at least.

Death cult?
Your first two guesses are much closer.
Ragnarok cult?

Post-Trade Deadline NAVL storylines
With the All-Star Break in the rearview and now the final trade window closed, we look at the storylines that will define the rest of this North American Volleyball League season.

Drive to 65 - Vancouverites have it good, with their beloved Canucks doing well in the Hockey League but also enjoying the defending NAVL Finals champion Grizzlies putting on a clinic as they push towards a record-setting regular season. Four clubs have achieved a 64-8 record, and three of them have won the NAVL Finals thereafter. 65 wins has never been achieved, though, and absolutely absurd 0.90 win ratio - but the Griz are on pace to do it this year, which would immediately put them in NAVL annals even if they don’t repeat as Finals champions. The last eight weeks of the season carry a tough schedule - four more games against the Seattle Sonics, a three-game road stand on the East Coast against the East-leading Celtics and likely playoff-bound clubs in the Knicks and Express - but led by Michele Martinelli this is an utterly historic group entering their prime.

60 Club Sonics? - One feels for the Sonics - their best group since the historic 1996 group (the 2012 Finals champions were a notch below despite all their talent) that could, quite reasonably, be the first Sonics team to enter the 60 Club - nonetheless has to share a division with the Grizzlies and has already dropped four games to them this year, including two thrillers at home only settled in the last set. Thus, despite pacing to somewhere around 59 or 60 wins, they’re likely to enter the playoffs as the 5 seed in the West - where they’ll be arguably the most talented 5 in playoff history. A showdown with Vancouver in the Western semifinals or Finals is not unlikely in this year where the volleyball world has orbited around the Pacific Northwest.

Celtic Correction - After their East semifinal sweep at Rochester’s hands last spring, Boston sought to retool around Sean MacKenzie, clearly realizing that their Canadian spiker was more dependent on his supporting cast in four Finals championships between 2018 and 2022 than they thought, Michele Martinelli in particular. Bringing in Italian studs like Simone Gianelli and Tommaso Rinaldi has taken some time to gel but an eight-match win streak coming out of the All-Star Break and Boston fighting it’s way into second place in the Northeast behind arch-rival Rochester suggests Magic Mac may yet have more to show for himself. A weak East could be feasting ground for a Boston coming out of the 5 or 6 position, and a late swoon from the Royals - not out of the question considering club history, after all! - may yet see Boston with home court advantage in several rounds nonetheless once again.

End of an Era? - The hints that LeBron James is looking towards retirement have been clear for years, as the former Pistons and Knicks star now languishes on a mediocre Cleveland Rebels roster after his stated desire to finish his career in his home state. James turns 40 at the end of this year and it is clear the best outside pin of his generation (perhaps any) is nearly out of juice. Do not be surprised if one of the titans of the sport hangs up his shorts come end of the season, whether or not Cleveland can squeeze into the playoffs.

Matadors Moving? - The NAVL has not seen a relocation of an existing franchise since 2007, when the league elected to leave the Jazz in their temporary Dallas home rather than return them to New Orleans after Hurricane Kimberly forced them to abandon their home. But it is becoming increasingly clear that the league office is not enthused with their foothold in Havana, and league-worst attendance, TV viewership, and fan support are partly to blame. Let’s face it - Cubans love baseball first and football second, and volleyball was always a tough sell in the Caribbean. The Matadors this year aren’t terrible - indeed they would qualify for the play-in as the 9 seed if the season ended today - but unlike successful “international” franchises in Vancouver, Toronto, Charlotte and to a lesser extent Montreal, Havana has been a struggle since their 2001 launch. The most obvious landing site looks to be the proposed new arena and entertainment district in central Milwaukee - which would presage a divisional rather than conference realignment and give the team an immediate rivalry with Chicago Stags - but we’ll know more after the owner’s meeting and draft this June.

With the All-Star Break in the rearview and now the final trade window closed, we look at the storylines that will define the rest of this North American Volleyball League season.

Drive to 65 - Vancouverites have it good, with their beloved Canucks doing well in the Hockey League but also enjoying the defending NAVL Finals champion Grizzlies putting on a clinic as they push towards a record-setting regular season. Four clubs have achieved a 64-8 record, and three of them have won the NAVL Finals thereafter. 65 wins has never been achieved, though, and absolutely absurd 0.90 win ratio - but the Griz are on pace to do it this year, which would immediately put them in NAVL annals even if they don’t repeat as Finals champions. The last eight weeks of the season carry a tough schedule - four more games against the Seattle Sonics, a three-game road stand on the East Coast against the East-leading Celtics and likely playoff-bound clubs in the Knicks and Express - but led by Michele Martinelli this is an utterly historic group entering their prime.

60 Club Sonics? - One feels for the Sonics - their best group since the historic 1996 group (the 2012 Finals champions were a notch below despite all their talent) that could, quite reasonably, be the first Sonics team to enter the 60 Club - nonetheless has to share a division with the Grizzlies and has already dropped four games to them this year, including two thrillers at home only settled in the last set. Thus, despite pacing to somewhere around 59 or 60 wins, they’re likely to enter the playoffs as the 5 seed in the West - where they’ll be arguably the most talented 5 in playoff history. A showdown with Vancouver in the Western semifinals or Finals is not unlikely in this year where the volleyball world has orbited around the Pacific Northwest.

Celtic Correction - After their East semifinal sweep at Rochester’s hands last spring, Boston sought to retool around Sean MacKenzie, clearly realizing that their Canadian spiker was more dependent on his supporting cast in four Finals championships between 2018 and 2022 than they thought, Michele Martinelli in particular. Bringing in Italian studs like Simone Gianelli and Tommaso Rinaldi has taken some time to gel but an eight-match win streak coming out of the All-Star Break and Boston fighting it’s way into second place in the Northeast behind arch-rival Rochester suggests Magic Mac may yet have more to show for himself. A weak East could be feasting ground for a Boston coming out of the 5 or 6 position, and a late swoon from the Royals - not out of the question considering club history, after all! - may yet see Boston with home court advantage in several rounds nonetheless once again.

End of an Era? - The hints that LeBron James is looking towards retirement have been clear for years, as the former Pistons and Knicks star now languishes on a mediocre Cleveland Rebels roster after his stated desire to finish his career in his home state. James turns 40 at the end of this year and it is clear the best outside pin of his generation (perhaps any) is nearly out of juice. Do not be surprised if one of the titans of the sport hangs up his shorts come end of the season, whether or not Cleveland can squeeze into the playoffs.

Matadors Moving? - The NAVL has not seen a relocation of an existing franchise since 2007, when the league elected to leave the Jazz in their temporary Dallas home rather than return them to New Orleans after Hurricane Kimberly forced them to abandon their home. But it is becoming increasingly clear that the league office is not enthused with their foothold in Havana, and league-worst attendance, TV viewership, and fan support are partly to blame. Let’s face it - Cubans love baseball first and football second, and volleyball was always a tough sell in the Caribbean. The Matadors this year aren’t terrible - indeed they would qualify for the play-in as the 9 seed if the season ended today - but unlike successful “international” franchises in Vancouver, Toronto, Charlotte and to a lesser extent Montreal, Havana has been a struggle since their 2001 launch. The most obvious landing site looks to be the proposed new arena and entertainment district in central Milwaukee - which would presage a divisional rather than conference realignment and give the team an immediate rivalry with Chicago Stags - but we’ll know more after the owner’s meeting and draft this June.
OK, so the Volleyball League is the outside the USA and OTL Canada, with teams in New Orleans and then Dallas as well as Havana. I don't remember if Rugby has been done yet, but I'd expect Rugby to cross over the CSA more than other sports (considering the strength of Football in the southeast. The most likely reason not would seem to be that have their own league with different rules (which leads to the question of who plays with the same rules as Rugby in the rest of the world,.)

OK, so the Volleyball League is the outside the USA and OTL Canada, with teams in New Orleans and then Dallas as well as Havana. I don't remember if Rugby has been done yet, but I'd expect Rugby to cross over the CSA more than other sports (considering the strength of Football in the southeast. The most likely reason not would seem to be that have their own league with different rules (which leads to the question of who plays with the same rules as Rugby in the rest of the world,.)
South (and Texas, for that matter) has their own rugby league - the PRA pyramid is exclusive to the USA

In a lot of ways this a very cursed timeline, but the widespread popularity of volleyball (GBR!) and the not-impossible chance of one Alfred Yankovic topping the pop charts balances that out a tad.

South (and Texas, for that matter) has their own rugby league - the PRA pyramid is exclusive to the USA
The South and Texas each have their own Rugby League or they share one Rugby League? I'm also not sure which of the modern Sports Leagues had sorted themselves out prior to the GAW. Baseball certainly and Hockey, no clue on the other three.

And *maybe* the possibility of the Rugby League winners in the South and the US playing each other (In Sequoyah, of course).

In a lot of ways this a very cursed timeline, but the widespread popularity of volleyball (GBR!) and the not-impossible chance of one Alfred Yankovic topping the pop charts balances that out a tad.
This actually gives me an idea that is going to make people in this little place called Lawrence, Kansas very frustrated. Hehe. Which I'm sure you as a Nebraska fan won't mind at all!
The South and Texas each have their own Rugby League or they share one Rugby League? I'm also not sure which of the modern Sports Leagues had sorted themselves out prior to the GAW. Baseball certainly and Hockey, no clue on the other three.

And *maybe* the possibility of the Rugby League winners in the South and the US playing each other (In Sequoyah, of course).
That I haven't decided, to be honest. My instict is some kind of Super 14/Super Rugby arrangement with clubs in the CSA, Texas, and perhaps a one-off in Sequoyah or Monterrey or something, with some churn in club memberships due to bankruptcy/relo or whatever, but I haven't decided.