Is it possible for a French-style revolution to succeed anywhere?

This is one of the things that I've been interested in since, well, you know, the modern world has fulfilled the goals* of all but the most radical of the revolutionaries, but only long after they themselves collapsed into bloodshed, chaos, and dictatorship. What I'm asking is if the very first of the liberal revolutions could have succeeded, perhaps France, or elsewhere?

Now when I say "succeeded," I mean:
- It must be a republic, so abolition of monarchy, nobility (height reduction is not strictly necessary)
- At least universal manhood suffrage
- Separation of church and state
- Some elements of the welfare state

From what I've read, my gut instinct is that Britain is the most likely candidate, since it would be the most urbanized, with a significant segment of the population supporting it, unlike more the more rural France. It's also on an island, so it would be more difficult to invade, and so the revolutionaries might feel more secure, and less likely to blunder into disastrous war like in France.

Any thoughts?

*Now, assessing the outcome of their fulfillment is a different story.

Thanks!

This is one of the things that I've been interested in since, well, you know, the modern world has fulfilled the goals* of all but the most radical of the revolutionaries, but only long after they themselves collapsed into bloodshed, chaos, and dictatorship. What I'm asking is if the very first of the liberal revolutions could have succeeded, perhaps France, or elsewhere?
Unlikely to succeed, literally everyone will try to get rid of it, unless you want to consider Haiti a success.
From what I've read, my gut instinct is that Britain is the most likely candidate, since it would be the most urbanized, with a significant segment of the population supporting it, unlike more the more rural France. It's also on an island, so it would be more difficult to invade, and so the revolutionaries might feel more secure, and less likely to blunder into disastrous war like in France.
Britain was quite liberal (for the time) and it was in a very good position economically unlike France.

In many ways the American Revolution is the successful British Revolution. The diffusion of so many dissenters, both religious and political, to the colonies ultimately saved the monarchy at home. The many contradictions of the Reformation, the Civil War, the Restoration and the Glorious Revolution - which could very well have torn apart Britain's particular brand of oligarchic Protestant liberalism, were allowed to play out somewhere else. The role the French Revolution itself played in spooking Britain onto a more Conservative path also shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:
In many ways the American Revolution is the successful British Revolution. The diffusion of so many dissenters, both religious and political, to the colonies ultimately saved the monarchy at home. The many contradictions of the Reformation, the Civil War, the Restoration and the Glorious Revolution - which could very well have torn apart Britain's particular brand of oligarchic Protestant liberalism, were allowed to play out somewhere else. The role the French Revolution itself played in spooking Britain onto a more Conservative path also shouldn't be underestimated.

The American Revolution was just a local elite deciding that they would rather be the big fish in small pond than small fish in a big pond.

Getting mad at soft drinks and stationery taxes and getting scared that French Papists way to the north were being given too many freedoms.

Unlikely to succeed, literally everyone will try to get rid of it, unless you want to consider Haiti a success.

Britain was quite liberal (for the time) and it was in a very good position economically unlike France.
There likely wouldn’t have been a revolutionary war if both the revolutionaries(the Jacobins were ironically opposed to it in the beginning I think and the Plains were the ones who supported it?) and the monarchy didn’t declare war on Austria and co for their own purposes. Marie Antoinette’s brother alongside the other kings only offered vague promises of help to Louis without anything material support prior to the French declaration of war. Britain meanwhile seemed well disposed towards the revolutionary for a while.

Last edited:
There likely wouldn’t have been a revolutionary war if both the revolutionaries(the Jacobins were ironically opposed to it in the beginning I think and the Plains were the ones who supported it?) and the monarchy didn’t declare war on Austria and co for their own purposes. Marie Antoinette’s brother alongside the other kings only offered vague promises of help to Louis without anything material support prior to the French declaration of war. Britain meanwhile seemed well disposed towards the revolutionary for a while.
I don't see a scenario where Europe leaves France alone after what they did to the king and the nobles.

the Jacobins were ironically opposed to it in the beginning I think and the Plains were the ones who supported it?
It was the Montagnard faction of the Jacobins that opposed the war initially, and it was the Girondins who supported it. The Plain, as I understand was the more centrist/uncommitted faction.

Britain meanwhile seemed well disposed towards the revolutionary for a while
Yes, the 1828-1832 years and especially the Days of May.
Britain is the most likely candidate, since it would be the most urbanized, with a significant segment of the population supporting it, unlike more the more rural France.
Yes I agree. The large urban population, especially in the new industrial cities, would have provided a reliable power base for the revolutionary parties and enabled them to dominate elections.