Korean Manchuria

Is there any TLs or can anyone rationalize a situation where the OTL territories of Korea and Manchuria become country, or at least the territory of Manchuria is recognized as Korean (much as it is now of being part of China)? Preferably the region would have a fairly large Korean population (doesn't have to be a majority) but having lots of Manchus/other ethnicities isn't a problem either: just enough that it legitimizes Korean control of the region.

I'm looking at ways to better align Korea and the Manchu against the Chinese/Japanese in a TL I'm working on as a sort of thought experiment and wondered if anyone's done that before and what the results would be on East Asian politics.

My initial thoughts were if the Manchus somehow fail to establish themselves in China but end up annexing Korea. I thought the Manchu would probably occupy North China but maybe get halted by a Ming rump in the South. Eventually they'd lose the North to some resurgent Chinese Empire, but they'd keep a hold on the Manchu lands and create a Qing Korea?

Not sure how realistic that is and whether or not I'm plodding ASB territory, so any guidance is much appreciated.

The Jurchens at one point were subject to Korean Balhae. Later they fought Goryeo under the Kitans. Later still Yun Gwan defeated the Jurchens. Say Yun Gwan remains powerful and establishes much greater authority in the Jurchen areas. Perhaps numbers of them move south to serve in the Korean military as a scheme for Yun Gwan to become to powerful for his enemies to assail. Then like they did when they became the Jin Dynasty, the Jurchens become essentially Koreanized and then you have a big foothold in Manchuria. Yes I know this is a horrible simplification.

In fact I did this in the Raptor of Spain. The Jurchens defeated the kingdoms in the late 900s early 1000s and took over in parts, but later merged with the populace and settled down like they did in the Jin Dynasty. Since the alt-Kitans are under too much pressure from the Wahamargapa State, the Jurchens evolved into the Kingdom of Wujoseon.

Wujoseon about c. 1150s (ignore Japan, still working that out).

Example1.jpg

Last edited:

maverick

Banned
An interesting possibility.

Korean-Manchuria under the Qing Emperor in a system ala the Manchu-Apartheid that dominated China between 1645 and 1911 would be fascinating indeed.

If they are beaten back and forced to move the capital to Liaodong or Pyongyang, they could come to rely more and more on the Koreans, who might due to internal migrations begin to settle in the Liaodong peninsula, giving us a necessary demographic inner change to assure that the Koreans are the key demographic within the empire after the Manchu.

As they did with China, the Manchu would impose some of their culture and absorb many Korean cultural traits, especially the Neo-Confucianism and perhaps some of the civil service/bureaucracy to run things. If the Korean caste retains enough power to influence the Qing regime post-defeat-in-China, we could see the Manchu effectively becoming the Korean Empire, I suppose.

MNP!!!!
How did you make that map? Is it some sort of program or something?
P.S: Sorry about ressurecting this thread but not adding anything useful...
forgive me! *hides*.

Just have the Manchus fail to conquer China and conquer Korea instead.
Manchuria was Korean for 3000 of the last 4000 years, but it's the last 1000 that counts today.