Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Chapter 112: Asiatic Northern War Part VII - A Ming Embargo Amidst the War
seeing the Ming act isn't unexpected, and it is about time China did anything, since Manchuria is part of the Chinese's sphere of influence in the Chinese's eyes, and this is something that I think satisfies the more traditional elements of the state to slide into isolationism and to punish the Joseon and Japanese in their war. I think the state of affairs favours the Japanese a lot more, considering that the Japanese could get Chinese products through SEA, so it'd push the Joseon to act more agressively and decisively for good or for bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of the onflict means that the Ming slide into isolationism as the Ming don't repeal their ban on trade with Joseon and Japan.

Moritora getting battered by the Jurchens as he marches to Albazin makes sense too, and I wonder if Japanese attacks on Albazin would make the Russians declare war against them, tipping the balance against the Japanese.
I find it interesting that Ming is embargoing both of them.

It shows how China values its new tribut connections with Japan and worry’s about Korea's growing strength that they act with impartiality
I could see the traditionalists using the opportunity to force isolationism on China, so I really do wonder how things would turn out at the end. ofc the Ming can also start reforming their armies but at this point the Chinese armies aren't really weaker than the Joseon and Japanese.

I could see the traditionalists using the opportunity to force isolationism on China, so I really do wonder how things would turn out at the end.
Not sure how they would argue for that. The war will come to an end, the Ming emperor will probably claim credit due to the use of Ming economic and diplomatic force probably weaking the isolationists.

Korea on the other hand (should they lose) will probably fall into the hands of conservative Confucianist who will blame the Korean alliance with the Jin for dragging them into war and alienating China.
ofc the Ming can also start reforming their armies but at this point the Chinese armies aren't really weaker than the Joseon and Japanese.
They are currently at war with Yuan Mongolia. so at the moment they are fighting a sophistically organized but technologically backwards Calvary dominated force. Useful experience no doubt but not a war that will spurn the development of rifle infantry tactics and strategy onward.

Last edited:
Not sure how they would argue for that. The war will come to an end, the Ming emperor will probably claim credit due to the use of Ming economic and diplomatic force probably weaking the isolationists.
basically in otl they are already under the process of isolationism, and considering that the Chinese are on rough technological parity with the rest of the world I don't see a significant faction not trying to keep it considering it plays right into their hands.
Korea on the other hand (should they lose) will probably fall into the hands of conservative Confucianist who will blame the Korean alliance with the Jin for dragging them into war and alienating China.
That's very true, which is partially why I hope the Joseon would win. Joseon would be destablised if they lose.
They are currently at war with Yuan Mongolia. so at the moment they are fighting a sophistically organized but technologically backwards Calvary dominated force. Useful experience no doubt but not a war that will spurn the development of rifle infantry tactics and strategy onward.
tbf the Ming are using cannon and guns that were comparable to the west, including breech loaded matchlocks and the such. If anything its more about battle tactics more than anything.

Thinking about it I hope for both sides to fight to a draw. In most scenarios in which one blows the other out, the loser develops undesirable internal developments and the victor gets victory disease.

Moritora getting battered by the Jurchens as he marches to Albazin makes sense too, and I wonder if Japanese attacks on Albazin would make the Russians declare war against them, tipping the balance against the Japanese.
To some extent, they already did ever since they decided to respond to the Amur Intervention.

Chapter 109: Asiatic Northern War Part VIII - The Rise and Fall of Joseon’s Efforts

Chapter 109: Asiatic Northern War Part VIII - The Rise and Fall of Joseon’s War Efforts

The biggest battle of the Asiatic Northern War would take place just off the island of Yeondo between the chief admirals of the Japanese and Joseonite navies, Tagawa Seikou and Yi San-seon respectively. After Joseon’s victory at Imjinseong, Seikou decided to take a large fleet to the peninsula and challenge the main Joseon fleet in a pitched naval battle. While Kobayakawa Motokane oversaw the continuation of the naval blockade around Jeju Island, Seikou targeted the town of Yeosu in order to force San-seon’s hand. Yi San-seon, who was already gathering a naval armada to rescue Jeju, eagerly took the bait and sailed towards the island of Yeondo, which was directly to the south of Yeosu. They would clash on June 26th between Yeondo and the island of Ando. While the Japanese fleet numbered 84 ships, the Joseon fleet hovered around 100 ships with many of the latter’s vessels having recently been constructed. The core of the Japanese fleet were Seikou’s junks while the wings of the fleet were made up of heavy ships and commanded by Yamada Tadamasa (山田忠政) [1] and Kurushima Michikiyo (久留島通清) respectively. Meanwhile, Yi San-seon commanded the reserves with two front contingents led by Yun Si-min and Song Yeo-jong. Usually, the front line of the average Joseon navy was made up of the nimble panokseon vessels. In this instance, however, Yi San-seon mixed in heavier ships when forming his ranks. This change would influence the outcome and number of casualties in the battle.​

TOhtgodPuRyvpgGc3hivL5RLqMkJ8aB7NYR8g9PTgN7S0w_e_9mUqwnWyEsQ-H3ZXCW7Xp9AXtkraZWB6SlsqyGCF5kLWVVekrSaUQgC2i1yQqC_cmAMHzSc62RefNjbX3BT98z32hB1mHjGOX-jmHM

Salmon = Japan, Blue = Joseon​

The battle began in the morning. As usual, the panokseon ships maneuvered in between Japanese ships before either boarding enemy ships or firing upon them. In this case, the strategy was effective due to the narrowness of the waters and the support Joseon’s galleons and other heavy warships provided. As a result, in the first hour of the engagement the Japanese suffered heavier losses. However, as Seikou and his deputies on the wings began deploying hobayasens and other medium-sized vessels the Japanese brought Yi San-seon’s momentum to a grinding halt. These ships, although less maneuverable than the panokseons, could shell out more firepower and as a result balanced the flow of the battle. As the engagement continued, the Japanese fleet began to push back against Yi San-seon as the panokseons proved inferior and Seikou’s men were better trained melee fighters in the boarding actions that took place. Seeing this, Joseon’s chief admiral finally ordered his ship and the other reserve ships of primarily heavy warships forward and this began to reverse the flow of the battle once again. Ultimately, despite the Japanese technically inflicting more casualties and sinking more ships (mostly panokseons), this final push forced Seikou to order a retreat and sail away from the peninsula.

Although the Battle of Yeondo ended in a tactical victory for Yin San-seon, they were unable to immediately follow up on their win and sail straight towards Jeju due to the heavy losses his fleet had been inflicted. Nevertheless, Seikou was also forced back to the home islands to recuperate his losses, giving Joseon a small window to break the Japanese encirclement of Jeju. On the island itself, the guerilla tactics of the Joseonites had consistently kept them a few steps from a wipeout. Finally, though, the garrison would see their salvation two weeks after Yeondo when Yun Si-min led a transport fleet carrying 5,000 men landed on the northwestern coast of the island. The newly landed army immediately assaulted the main Japanese camp, burning it to the ground and scattering the enemy forces. The Japanese, already demoralized from the news of their loss at Yeondo and exhausted by the months-long fighting, retreated to Byeolbangjin Fortress as the evening progressed. After setting it aflame, they began evacuating Jeju Island at the crack of dawn and were completely gone by the end of that day. With the ultimate failure of Japan’s assault upon Jeju Island, Japan and Joseon were now in balance in the seas once again.​

jKJ1-XeqAWhhRuFE-Y7UPqIKjS2ExlyhWNC79ZdJLsTnLjmT69BADAaDfGQqIq2gpnN17A6gtNMm02DZwHLQSKuUAzDuUh_IXn3UONzeRGhqc3UM9G1o9lr4rlbkiGK2nDy5yvy1M_6b8ao1_c8r60I

The present day ruins of Byeolbangjin Fortress​

On the mainland, the combined forces of the Lesser Jin and Joseon were also holding back against further Amur-Japanese advances and gains. In the late spring of 1668, Bahai, Kaga Nagaaki, and senior officials of the Amur Khanate plotted to take Haishenwei and even the Jin capital of Hetu Ala in order to cut off Gutai’s horse archers occupying the northern steppes from the core of the khanate and force the enemy to the negotiating table. Because of the Joseon navy’s preoccupation with Japanese naval activities in the Tsushima Straits and the amphibious assault of Jeju Island, Haishenwei easily fell into Amur-Japanese hands once again. The nearby torched ruins of the occupied Amur capital of Nurgan were also retaken. However, plans on sieging and seizing Hetu Ala fell through when the main Amur Jurchen army was confronted by a mixed Jin-Joseon army led by Shin Ryu near the town of Girin in early July. Bahai, only possessing 4,000 Japanese infantry alongside his own cavalry and infantry, was no match for the Joseonite general and the former was soon forced to retreat back to the safe confines of Alchuka Hoton.

Amur-Japanese struggles on the mainland beckoned the necessity of further Japanese reinforcements. However, opinion in Azuchi was going sour over the continuation of the war as a realm still recovering from the Manji War was now suffering scores of casualties in an overseas conflict with little to no promise of direct territorial or economic gain. If anything, with the Ming embargo, they were beginning to experience economic losses. Nevertheless, the importance of the fur trade, Japanese diplomatic standing, and the prestige of both Sakuma Moritora and Kaga Nagaaki kept the government from pursuing peace negotiations for the time being, and a new army led by Tokugawa Noriyasu son Tomoyasu (徳川朝康) had been gathered, ready to embark to the steppe battlefield. Meanwhile, Seikou helped initiate the construction of new warships in Harima and Shima provinces.

By contrast, the backlash against the war and the expenses and manpower it necessitated hit harder in the court of Joseon king Gyeongseon. Critically, the blame fell much more squarely on the sovereign himself, who had largely initiated Joseon’s backing of the Lesser Jin in the first place. Successive victories did little to alleviate Gyeongseon’s unpopularity and as a result the war would cost him in an unprecedented fashion. On the morning of July 19th, 1668, a young Confucian zealot in the bureaucracy named Kim Seok snuck into the bedchambers of the king and his queen, Myeongseong, and began stabbing Gyeongseon. The queen screamed and attempted to stop the deranged assassin, but he managed to push her away and knock her unconscious. Right before Myeongseong blacked out, however, Kim Seok yelled,
“For peace and tradition I kill the unfilial, corrupted despot!!”​

before ending Gyeongseon’s 29 year existence for good. Minutes later, guards would rush in, cornering the maniacal assassin and executing him on the spot. It was too late, however, and Joseon now stood leaderless. King Gyeongseon had a 9 year old son named Yi Hyeon who would subsequently succeed his father as King Sukjong but beyond this certainty, few could predict what would happen next as the assassination of Gyeongseon would completely disrupt the course of the conflict.​

vqlTirk1sr8oKiSKFvlFMvyleb6T8EZAXX2cmI_DN241eHkcgQqzUSYFF_2bbfoKjr7yFyYMdqaeJjzaYkhRwSW5JaRCO1yC290NkguI5N8hGWRw26kZSow5lI7hms2reszGkZC1kplPXYmrwUzieQA

Portrait of King Gyeongseon of Joseon​

[1]: The son of Yamada Nagamasa

Last edited:
Chapter 113: Asiatic Northern War Part VIII - The Rise and Fall of Joseon’s War Efforts
Considering how both armies were doing, the Joseon were giving back just as well as the Japanese, but with the king dying in this fashion I could see the Joseon falling into instability at the very least and with Joseon collapsing at worst. That is not good news for the Joseon at all, with how things are going, and I just hope the Japanese aren't too interested in fully destroying the Joseonites so they can rebuild.
At this point, Korea itself might be conquered by the Japanese should the Chinese not intervene...
It's a bit too early for it, let's see how things go...

Welp, that pretty much consigns Korea as a second-rate power for the foreseeable future, with North Asia pretty much going to be a playground between the Chinese and the Japanese, as well as those of their allies "at the ground" in the Mongols, the Jurchens, and the Albazin Russians.

Nevertheless, this will make Korea paranoid of a Japanese and Jurchen invasion, so they may actually decide to improve the quality of their military on top of downsizing it — at the very least, if in its equipment and infrastructure rather than organisation. They just observed the military technologies and doctrines of their peers, after all, and so they'll know better in planning for defensive warfare within the peninsula.

I can see them being the early adoptors, or even independent inventors of socket bayonets. It's pretty easy to see how expedient it is to merge the roles of spearmen and musketmen, after all.

With all that was said, however: whatever Korea does from now on, it will always be in conjunction with China's desires and instructions, or maybe even Japan's.

Anyways though — has Korea abolished slavery?

Last edited:
Nah, the nobi system isn't going anywhere. It would take a lot for emancipation to be fast-tracked this early.
Welp, so it tracks to the OTL Joseon still, if with bayonets and foreign trade; all that boon without Hideyoshi's invasion will not matter much when they'll still stagnate at the end with Japan and even China both outdoing them in every regard, and it could even prove to be deleterious with much more angry serfs at its stead.

Perhaps — without the wealth of Manchuria directly at their beck — can Korea resort to mercenary work to help fill up their state coffers, or at least their noble clans'?

Unless China intervenes or the Japanese decide to be lenient, I don't see a way for Korea to recover from this. They've lost their ruler and are losing militarily. The regency likely wouldn't end well. Korea is kinda screwed as a major power.

Welp, so it tracks to the OTL Joseon still, if with bayonets and foreign trade; all that boon without Hideyoshi's invasion will not matter much when they'll still stagnate at the end with Japan and even China both outdoing them in every regard, and it could even prove to be deleterious with much more angry serfs at its stead.

Perhaps — without the wealth of Manchuria directly at their beck — can Korea resort to mercenary work to help fill up their state coffers, or at least their noble clans'?
Tbf I hope we get them go through a Meiji restoration thing ittl or something akin to that in the future, keeping Joseon the hermit kingdom would be quite interesting in general.

Joseon mercs being well known would be fitting too if they close off while other nations do their own thing.

I do think china wouldn't meddle with Manchuria as long as the region is relatively quiet: they just want to trade furs and keep barbarians from attacking Beijing. Maybe some soft influence if they want to. Or maybe they go isolationist too. Hell, Macau is Chinese rn.
Unless China intervenes or the Japanese decide to be lenient, I don't see a way for Korea to recover from this. They've lost their ruler and are losing militarily. The regency likely wouldn't end well. Korea is kinda screwed as a major power.
In the short to medium term yes, but in the long term I think they may be able to recover.