"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Ed Tudor...

I just had a horrible thought. Edward, a Protestant's Protestant who thinks about ideas and really cares about being right, is being sent to Ireland to suppress some rebels who are more Protestant than the Protestants… by the older brother/king who just treated him (to his way of thinking) unjustly.

This has all the ingredients for a betrayal.

Great Update.

I just had a horrible thought. Edward, a Protestant's Protestant who thinks about ideas and really cares about being right, is being sent to Ireland to suppress some rebels who are more Protestant than the Protestants… by the older brother/king who just treated him (to his way of thinking) unjustly.

This has all the ingredients for a betrayal.

Don't worry it is highly unlikely that Edward will turn traitor, as the Irish Originalists, are so weird that all other protestant faiths hate them, even King Janos of Hungary who can say nice things about Jews and Muslims, doesn't have a nice thing to say about them. The Anabaptists out of whom Originalists theology arose want nothing to do with the Originalists. So if Edward wants to annoy Henry he will do something else but he wouldn't turn traitor and led the Irish to victory.

Last edited:
Don't worry it is highly unlikely that Edward will turn traitor, as the Irish Originalists, are so weird that all other protestant faiths hate them, even King Janos of Hungary who can say nice things about Jews and Muslims, doesn't have a nice thing to say about them. The Anabaptists out of whom Originalists theology arose want nothing to do with the Originalists. So if Edward wants to annoy Henry he will do something else but he wouldn't turn traitor and led the Irish to victory.

Now that I've had a good sleep, it does seem less likely. Although we know that the relationship between Ed and Diane will become the stuff of plays and romance novels, so probably it isn't over yet and will cause a lot of trouble.

Wow, now that was an update. Love the writing style, I think we've got to see more of this kind of sardonic lecturer style as a good counterbalance to the predominant excerpts of ATL book-style.

And, oof, I really see why there aren't more HRE timelines, the amount of research you must do to bring it to life must be insane and it's glorious to read.

Still, during my first read-through I understood the British, French and Spanish stuff but the Italian and German stuff just had too many names to keep straight. For my second read-through I started grasping the Italian stuff and a lot of the German stuff but a lot of it still overwhelmed me. I think I'll start getting everything straight when I do my third read-through. And I've never read even "A World Of Laughter, A World Of Tears" three times, but this TL's writing style and subject matter is just that interesting even though the ginormous size of the cast is often rather :eek:

Oh and Edward Tutor is starting to surpass the Prince of the Asturias as my favorite character in this timeline, so gloriously contradictory, I'm loving reading about him.

Waiting for this update was well worth it!! I agree with all who have written before: This is masterful and awe-inspiring!! You MUST have FILES filled with all of your research and a huge wall-hanging with all of the families and their various offspring, just to keep track of whom is of marrying-age to whom!!

WOW!!!!!

And, of course, I am excited by an Habsburg-free Hungarian kingdom!! (Let's hope this kingdom and its ruling dynasty survives on that fragile border between Islam and Christendom!)

I LOVE the Prince of the Asturias, Edward of York, King Janos, and many other of your striking, charismatic figures!! Jst LOVE them!!

GREAT JOB!!!

I haven't actually read the update but that has to be the biggest post in the history of the board outside the finished timeline section. It's 25352 words!!!

EDIT: Finally actually got round to reading it and congrats. Very little filler in there and a hell of a lot of action. A few things leap out at me, number one is what sort of King is Henry IX. I get that he quite smart and looks the part especially as he has a regal Queen on his arm but how good is he at doing the tedious work of running a Renaissance Monarchy. As the Hanoverians learned adjudicating about which Sussex village has the rights to a weekly market is dull but if you don't do it then someone else will and soon power will gravitate to them. Equally you mentioned that Henry IX is still using the Consilar Edict so he's clearly in a much stronger position than Mary or Elizabeth was but just how absolute can he be?
As for Ireland it's difficult to gauge just what the territorial situation on the ground is, what percentages of Ireland answers to the Originalists, the English and the non-Originalists Irish Lords?
Finally how are Spain's finances looking. Like France they've gone bankrupt recently but unlike France who've had a bit of peace to restore some health the Spanish are having to prop up their Austrian relations, on the other hand the Spanish have Potosi.

Last edited:
Is the Juan de La Cerda that died at the hands of Turgut Reis in 1560 the same person as the more recent de la Cerda that died in the attack on Djerba? Or are they father and son?

Is the Juan de La Cerda that died at the hands of Turgut Reis in 1560 the same person as the more recent de la Cerda that died in the attack on Djerba? Or are they father and son?

Urrr... no--that was Juan de VEGA who died in 1560. Not Juan de La Cerda. I'll correct it in the Gold Edition. (See, this happens when you have a huge cast of characters.)

Then I shall try again; Magnus, as opposed to OTL, is rather competent (and frightening and insane, but competent). If Erik's succession or conflict with the nobles goes to hell, or if Denmark succeeds, or any number of things befall Sweden, I could see a capable son of Magnus, based out of a secure Livonia-Estonia-whatever, plunging into a War of Swedish Succession and becoming "the salvation of Sweden".

Either that, or its really well obfuscated like most of your clues.

And now, at long last, here we are at 1564! So much to comment on, but I'll try (and fail) to be brief :D

Needless to say, the Empire's lawyers are preparing for one HELL of an adjudication when this war finally ends and they get around to signing the peace treaty. A treaty they suspect will be in the vicinity of five hundred pages long. (They are wrong, by the way. It'll be just over eight hundred.)
Out of curiosity, how long were some of the OTL peace treaties of this era? Just to give us an impression of just how long 800 pages really is.

Space Oddity said:
Because that's the thing--the Strasbourg Chronicle doesn't just tell what's happening, it has its own spin on it, and one lots of people disagree with it. And not just the people you'd think--while Vienna is naturally hostile to the Chronicle, which paints them as a bunch of bloodthirsty, incompetent idiots who are the puppets of Spanish and Papal interests, Heidelberg Compact leader Frederick von Simmern isn't happy with the Chronicle's version, which depicts him as too scheming for his own good, despite the fact that Strasbourg is PART of the Compact. Or John Frederick, who is depicted as talented, but also vain, and rather inflexible, or his wife Elizabeth, painted as--well, an English female version of her husband who makes him worse.
So everyone is depicted as bad, it's just that some are even worse than others? How familiar. I know that Elizabeth is a foreigner to them, but I wonder if their opinions will continue to be shaped by the mounting religious disputes across the Channel. Libertines vs. Puritans seems at least loosely analogous to True vs. Reformed Lutherans.

Space Oddity said:
Still, all agree that the war is going to take longer than they thought, one reason the Electress Elizabeth is heading back to Wittenburg with her young son, John Casimir. (Her eldest boy, Frederick Henry, remains at his father's side, learning the ins and outs of war and government.)
For reference, the Electoral Prince of Saxony (Anne Boleyn's oldest grandchild) is now the same age that Henry IX was when he acceded to the throne.

Space Oddity said:
Unfortunately for this... brilliant plan, the Mace and Seal aren't in the Palace at the moment, instead being secured in another location in case of an outbreak of just this sort of lunacy. The realization that their plans have been derailed causes the men to panic, which results in the Palace being smashed up as they flee. And also, set on fire.
Poor Westminster Palace, meeting its ultimate fate some 270 years ahead of schedule. Here's hoping that, if they do indeed rebuild it, they'll cut back on flammable materials.

Space Oddity said:
And so, despite some grumbling, the 1564 Parliament assembles in Nonsuch.
This strikes me as having the potential to become one of the many English traditions which began as a temporary measure...

Space Oddity said:
The Dispute divides families--Arthur Fitzroy, a dedicated Libertine who in fact wrote several of the hymns that have caught on in that side of the Dispute, finds relations with his Puritan wife getting just a tad frosty--and sometimes people's own consciences.
It's nice to see that the Duchess of Richmond and Somerset is essentially the same person as she was IOTL, even if that puts her at odds with her husband.

Space Oddity said:
Turning to the English news that isn't happening in England, in Poland, the young man who Henry Tudor calls the "Great Pretender" and who his wife calls the "Great Dunce", Charles Stuart, Earl of Lennox (attainted--so yes, even his actual title is a pretense by this point) keeps a watchful eye on the going on in England. And Scotland. And Ireland. And Fr--look, everywhere there are Tudors and Stewarts, Lennox is watching, while also trying to steeple his hands menacingly.
The Great Pretender? Now, granted, he's effectively the only pretender at this point, certainly the only one with a court-in-exile and retainers, but that strikes me as far too generous of Henry IX, unless he's being sarcastic. Not to mention that having Lennox on their side probably isn't a good sign for the Irish Catholics.

Space Oddity said:
Lennox also recieves a few new followers, most notably one John Hawkins and his young cousin, Francis Drake.
Yes, yes, smuggling and privateering is all well and good - but what does this mean for the English colonies?! :eek:

Space Oddity said:
In truth the aging pontiff is in low spirits, as the course the Second Schmalkaldic War is taking, the sudden collapse of Cardinal de Lorraine's career, and the recent misfortune against the Barbary Pirates have proven anathema to all his hopes. The Turk advances steadily, plundering Italy at will, the Protestant Princes show no interest in any sort of ecumenical settlement, and the one man who showed any ability of creating a peaceable way forward in France at the very least has been discredited. Despite these setbacks, Pius remains stubbornly sure of his own essential rightness--"No man who faced such tulmults as I have faced could have done better," he insists to his nephew and secretary Luigi d'Este.
A shame about Pius IV. He was elected with such promise and hope for the future, and yet his Papacy will probably go down as an ignominious failure.

Space Oddity said:
Medinaceli most certainly gets the grand battle he was looking for, though not the one he wanted--at the Battle of Djerbita, feared pirate lord Turgut Reis and his lieutenant, Italian convert Kiljic Ali, decimate the grand fleet assembled to decimate them[17].
I was going to remark that this seemed the perfect ATL anti-Lepanto, until you pointed out that it is basically historical - which means there's a chance for reversals.

Space Oddity said:
The Portuguese then recieve yet another encouraging sign--Philip is willing to suggest another, less exalted Spanish-Portuguese match which may happen in addition to the royal one, a marriage between Duarte, Duke of Guimaraes (brother to Archduke Charles Ferdinand's wife) and the Prince of Eboli's eldest daughter, Ana. The fact that he's willing to broach such a marriage is again, very encouraging, because Duarte is the most probable Portuguese heir to the throne should the Cortes of the kingdom decide not to grant the throne to Charles.
Since you didn't point it out in the footnotes, I will - Infante Duarte (or Edward), the 5th Duke of Guimarães, a grandson of Manuel I through the previous Duke of the same name, never married IOTL, and died in 1576, two years before King Sebastian. Had he lived, he would likely have inherited the throne, given his status as the only legitimate agnate of Manuel I (other than his aged uncle, Cardinal Henry, who also reigned IOTL). Therefore, as you might imagine, I strongly support this marriage.

Then again, if Leander fulfills his Kingly duty and secures the succession himself (unlike his OTL brother), the point will be moot. That is also acceptable ;)

Space Oddity said:
(John Christian and his longtime friend Tyhe Brahe regularly fill their letters with each other with comments on the movements of planets, and observances of the night sky.)
Well, then! :eek: Say what you will about John Christian, but he certainly knows how to ingratiate himself to the right people!

Space Oddity said:
The King finds it all very tempting, despite the fact that there are several practical deterrants to his starting a war right now, not the least of which being France is still broke (or close enough to it) from the last war, and is seen as a dodgy investment for the heavy loans he'd need to start one up.
You know, Henry could always summon the Estates-General once more in order to raise the money he needs...

Space Oddity said:
On the other side of the Red Sea, Gelawdewos, Emperor of the Ethiopians[38] has likewise heard rumors of the Sultan's demise. While he has yet to act on them, it has made the formidable warrior-king consider an effort to recover Massawa. This is quite important to the Ethopian Emperor, as aside from the personal embarrassment at having lost it, that port was his nation's primary source of firearms from the Portuguese. While the Ethopians have recently been able to get by with intermittantly using the port of Zaila, like much of the Harer region since Gelawdewos' defeat of Nur ibn Mujahid[39] the city is unstable, and their access to it unreliable. While Gelawdewos continues to work to solidify his hold on the region formerly covered by the now defunct Sultanate of Adal, as well as fighting off the encroachments of the Oromo, he makes certain to keep an eye open for a chance to regain one of the prizes of Ethiopia.
Great to hear about the Ethiopians! I look forward to seeing if they can take advantage of the newfound instability and uncertainty in the Ottoman Empire (along with the distraction on other fronts) to secure their ports once again. Especially if it means a strong trade relationship with Portugal.

Space Oddity said:
Recently, as a sort of present to each other, Henry and Mary each had their spouse's face added to their nation's coinage alongside their own.
I like the sound of that! I guess we have to work our way up to impaling their arms, and coinage is an excellent step in that direction.

Space Oddity said:
The rogue MPs find all this... exceptionally off-putting, and, even as the Wentworth brothers sputter about members right of free speech, they are ushered into the presence of a teary Queen Mary, who they all wind up reassuring that they do not hate her, and in fact, hold her in high esteem. With that over, the audience ends, with only some of the MPs realizing that the King and Queen have in face side-stepped all the important issues, and indeed, most of the minor ones. The issue of the coins dies a quiet death, and Parliament gets back to work.
Not only is she a fine monarch, but Queen Mary would also make an excellent actress. (Are women even allowed to act in English theatre at this time?)

Space Oddity said:
To the surprise of many she brings forth twins--two girls who will be christened Anne and Mary.
Twins again! Obviously they run in the family - both sides. I have no doubt these young girls will eventually become the most eligible bachelorettes in Europe - assuming they both survive to reach adulthood, which has eluded most of the previous sets of twins to be featured in the timeline so far.

Space Oddity said:
The Duke of York is to go to Ireland, and fix things there, as they have clearly gotten out of hand.
I have a sneaking suspicion that his campaigns in Ireland will define the military legacy of the Duke of York, as it has done for so many royal Dukes IOTL.

Space Oddity said:
Needless to say, Calvin's death is mourned throughout the various centers of the Reformed church, especially those in France. One of those Reformed centers is the city of Rouen--and it sees several surprising figures among the mourners, including one who is quite surprising indeed. Gabriel de Lorgues, Count of Montgommery attends Huguenot services in Rouen--accompanied by his wife Antoinette Stuart, and their young child, Jacques. Yes, Antoinette is a Protestant now. In fact, once word gets out, she starts boasting that she's even MORE of a Protestant than her sister now.
What a twist! That makes the "Great Pretender" and his issue the only remaining Catholic descendants of Henry VII (and James IV, if I'm not mistaken).

Space Oddity said:
And so the news that Antoinette Stuart has suddenly seen the light is very welcome indeed. And so, Knox decides to pay a little visit to the Continent...
And the plot thickens! The Arch-Puritan choosing to ally himself with a pretender can only be good news for the Libertines.

Space Oddity said:
Janos arrives in Presburg by late August to discover a city with open gates and a populace that greets the Prince of Transylvania and his retinue with cheers. Once there, the Diet--after a brief showing of the Crown where they confirm that this is most certainly is it--confirms Janos Sigismund as 'sole King and paramount lord of Hungary'.
Margaret certainly hitched her cart to the right horse! She is now the Queen of Hungary, which places her just below Henry and Mary in the old order of precedence.

Space Oddity said:
Henry meanwhile, is just as annoyed with Edward. He's always seen Edward as the sibling he can rely on, especially as Elizabeth and Margaret, once again, seem to longer be putting Tudor fortunes first. But now, even he seems to be getting... ideas. It's so... irritating. Henry gets how the family has to act like a coherent whole for their own good, as well as the good of their faith and their realm. Why don't his siblings understand that?
This is extremely tragic, to see the formerly unshakable bond between the Tudor siblings facing such turmoil. Politics can be such a cruel mistress.

Space Oddity said:
Christmas in England sees a miraculous thing happen. As the Court is listening to the King play his latest musical compositon, and competing among themselves to praise him for it--not necessarily an onerous duty, as Henry IX is, like his father and brother, something of a musical virtuoso--they are shocked to see Catherine Grey and William Herbert appear. The couple humbly approach the King, who bids them forward, and then accepts their abject apology for daring to wed without his permission. Henry formally forgives them, and states that their marriage is now recognized. With that the pair return to Court--indeed, Catherine even enjoys a dance with Henry that very evening, for old time's sake--and shortly have returned to their old positions.
Very happy to see that the marriage has been legitimated, and that the Herberts have returned to court.

Space Oddity said:
And Henry's had more good news. After his completely unwarranted bit of pique, Edward has come back and agreed to marry Princess Madeline. While the exact impetuous behind this about-face is mysterious, the Duke of York did pay a visit to his mother recently. Further, his dear Diane is recorded as having noted to Edward that such a marriage would be a great service to her fellow Huguenots. And that kings in her admittedly limited experience don't like getting thwarted on these matters. To Edward's relief, Henry has agreed to go back to ignoring Diane, a decision that Queen Mary can be thanked for. Mary Stewart knows the value of a loyal brother who'll stint for you, and she knows that loyalty is a thing that must be fed.
And in the end, the Duke of York can always be counted on to do the right thing. Would that all Kings had younger brothers like him!

Space Oddity said:
With that done, the night shall also see the unveiling of a new painting, which depicts Henry in the aspect of Mars, Mary in the aspect of Venus (a modestly clothed Venus, mind you), and little Prince Arthur as Cupid.
And let me guess, little Prince Arthur was depicted nude, like all other putti depictions of Cupid from the Renaissance. That would certainly explain his desire to relocate it!

Glad to see that France Antarctique is doing well. Successful French colonies in North America are a rarely used idea, and so it's interesting to see that happen.

Also interesting to see a reversal of OTL's colonial situation in Florida, with France acting as the aggressors against Spain-though it seems as though France will not be quite as affective as Spain was IOTL at removing rivals:D

Glad to see that France Antarctique is doing well. Successful French colonies in North America are a rarely used idea, and so it's interesting to see that happen.

Also interesting to see a reversal of OTL's colonial situation in Florida, with France acting as the aggressors against Spain-though it seems as though France will not be quite as affective as Spain was IOTL at removing rivals:D

Well the current colonies are Rio de Janeiro and Bermuda and is Bermuda really in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.