"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thank you. For everyone's viewing pleasure, Dona Leonora, Queen of Spain...

Elisabeth_of_Austria_Queen_of_France_van_Straeten_1570.jpg

The author does not like the Habsburgs I gather?
It's not so much that he dislikes the Hapsburgs (he obviously likes them a heck of a lot more than the House of Valois, for one thing), but he is a big fan of irony - many Hungarians longed to be freed from the Hapsburg yoke, but all things considered, there are plenty of alternatives that would probably be even worse for them. Independence under a native dynasty isn't one of them, but they are in the midst of one of the most hotly contested regions of Europe, so that independence is very precarious...

It's not so much that he dislikes the Hapsburgs (he obviously likes them a heck of a lot more than the House of Valois, for one thing), but he is a big fan of irony - many Hungarians longed to be freed from the Hapsburg yoke, but all things considered, there are plenty of alternatives that would probably be even worse for them. Independence under a native dynasty isn't one of them, but they are in the midst of one of the most hotly contested regions of Europe, so that independence is very precarious...

Good Point!! But is there any alt hist wherein Hungary comes out as THE major power in cent/east Europe? (Other than the one I am writing in secret, LOL!)

I refuse to answer exactly what will happen in Hungary, on the grounds that I like being a sneaky bastard.

But I will say the Hapsburgs are probably not going to regain the seat in the immediate future--their credit is simply too low at the moment. Will it recover?

Maybe, maybe not.

And now--a little bonus update. A scene from THE TUDORS, Season 5, Episode 10 'Honour and Glory'!

EST SHOT--THE CITY OF PRAGUE

The city is festooned with banners and pennants. A large one depicts KING JOHN and QUEEN MARGARET looking noble, and radiant and good.

CUT TO: INT. BALLROOM

A great celebration is occurring. The ELECTRESS ELIZABETH TUDOR stands in the corner eyeing it all with a knowing gaze. Suddenly, ANNE OF DENMARK sidles up next to her--clearly pregnant.

AD: Ahh. Dearest sister. It is good to see you here again.

Elizabeth forces on a smile.

ET: Dear Lady Anne. Why didn't know you were in Prague! I heard you were in Jena...

AD: Well, you know that I cannot bear to be parted from my dear husband's side for long...

Elizabeth gives a slightly exaggerated admiring shake of her head.

ET: Such marvelous constancy. And from your little project in Jena that is so dear to you! I hear the instructors at your university do not make a move without you...

Anne gives a dismissive wave of her hand.

AD: Oh, people tell such foolish tales... Jena is the pride of my husband, and while I give him some assistance with it, he deserves the bulk of the credit for that fine establishment. Why, there we are ushering in a bold new approach in scholarship, just as his great-uncle did in Wittenberg. I can say, without a trace of pride, that he hopes to make a second Wittenberg...

Elizabeth nods.

ET: And my dear husband shall have to be satisfied with the first...

AD: Indeed, and you have done so well to defend it. Why all the Germanies resound with the mannish virtue you displayed at the walls... (She gives a sniffle.) I do not think I could be so valiant when the lives of my dear children lay in the balance...

Elizabeth shakes her head.

ET: And you with so many of the little darlings. It seems sometimes that hardly a year passes without another addition to your family. Why isn't this your... twelfth...?

Anne smiles.

AD: My thirteenth.

Elizabeth smiles back at her.

ET: I do not know how you find the time for it. Such an abundance of motherhood and your other interests...

AD: I do as my family always has. We are a sturdy lot, we of Oldenburg, and our women have always been fruitful.

The pair's body language is becoming increasingly more... openly hostile.

ET: Something your husband doubtless appreciates...

FEMALE VOICE: Sisters!

QUEEN MARGARET TUDOR rushes towards the pair and places her arms around both.

MT: Oh, isn't this wondrous? This whole festival is so grand!

Elizabeth and Anne both squirm, clearly uncomfortable.

ET: Indeed, darling Madge. A worthy tribute to your glorious accession.

AD: Bohemia is privileged to have you and your husband.

Margaret breaks away and turns to them, grinning like a loon.

MT: Oh, this will be marvelous! You will see--we three with our husbands--we are going to be the beginning of a new age upon this continent--a new age for Christ! From our lines shall spring a glorious renewal of faith and freedom!

Elizabeth nods.

ET: Yes... Yes... I've no doubt it will be... fantastic. (coughs) Why... Madge... I believe young Christopher wishes a dance with you...

MT: Oh, but I have danced so many already... Still... one more doubtless will not hurt.... (She hugs Elizabeth.) Oh, it is so good to be here, Bess!

And with that she rushes away. Anne looks at her sister-in-law.

AD: One does hope she doesn't overtire herself.

ET: Indeed. My poor Madge has never been the heartiest member of our family. Why consider how embarrassing it might be if she should faint in the midst of all this revelry in her honor?

AD: (nods) True. True.

The pair burst into quiet laughter.

ET: Oh, what wicked minds we have.

AD: I know. To think of such things happening to a dear sister.

The pair laugh again, and then glare daggers at each other.

Jealousy is a very ugly thing, Electress Elizabeth - and so are you, in anything backless.

Interesting to see the dramatists' take on the increasingly strained relationship between the two Tudor girls. The cattiness and duplicitous does remind me of how sad I was to hear that the character system used in CKII was not carried over to EUIV - can you imagine how much fun Renaissance and Reformation-era politics could have been?

It certainly seems that Elizabeth is the type who favours envy. Combine that with her obviously ambitious nature, and that can be a very dangerous combination.

Poor Margaret seems completely oblivious to the thoughts of her "loving sisters". She can't really have been so naive can she? Obviously it's a fictional version of her, so she must have got something of that reputation (or one for being exceptionally subtle), but it's hard to believe. If she is truly so open and trusting I fear for her future prospects.

Well believing religious pluralism could end in anything other than chaos and heresy is pretty naive and out there by Renaissance standards.

I'd like to ask a question about Michel Montaigne (great French Renaissance figure). Is he still going to have a career? He was born in 1533, and I ask because this TL has a surviving France Antarctique, and he mentions the Brazilian natives at least twice in his Essays...

Poor Margaret seems completely oblivious to the thoughts of her "loving sisters". She can't really have been so naive can she? Obviously it's a fictional version of her, so she must have got something of that reputation (or one for being exceptionally subtle), but it's hard to believe. If she is truly so open and trusting I fear for her future prospects.

Margaret and her husband have the reputation for being the 16th century equivalent to Jesus freak hippies. That said, yeah, the show version is a bit Flanderized.

I'd like to ask a question about Michel Montaigne (great French Renaissance figure). Is he still going to have a career? He was born in 1533, and I ask because this TL has a surviving France Antarctique, and he mentions the Brazilian natives at least twice in his Essays...

Yes, Montaigne will have a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.