"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You read THAT in three days. :eek:

It's just about possible if you do nothing else. I read most of it in a couple of days, though that was a while ago and it's certainly grown considerably now.

Anyway, I will just add my praise to that of everybody else. Though I am something of a heretic in that I prefer Grim Ned to Cawos. I am slightly surprised though that nothing much seemed to happen in Sweden and Denmark this time. I would have thought Magnus might have been doing something of note even if nobody else is.

It's just about possible if you do nothing else. I read most of it in a couple of days, though that was a while ago and it's certainly grown considerably now.

Anyway, I will just add my praise to that of everybody else. Though I am something of a heretic in that I prefer Grim Ned to Cawos. I am slightly surprised though that nothing much seemed to happen in Sweden and Denmark this time. I would have thought Magnus might have been doing something of note even if nobody else is.

Hey, even Magnus needs to time to recharge. Remember, his army may be scary, but it's pretty small.

And here's a portrait--young Dom Leander, King of Portugal.

Dom_sebastiao_1565.JPG

The family resemblance between he and his cousin is quite strong, I'd say.

Very much so indeed- certainly not as flattering as his other portrait. Guess that's what you get after all that incest!

Yep. Remember, Charles and Leander are double first cousins.

And so were their respective parents. (Alternate history FUN--a universe where Dom Sebastian is born a girl, and to maintain his son's claim on the throne, Philip betroths Don Carlos to her. Enjoy a Spanish pedigree collapse over a century early! Fun for the whole family!)

And so were their respective parents. (Alternate history FUN--a universe where Dom Sebastian is born a girl, and to maintain his son's claim on the throne, Philip betroths Don Carlos to her. Enjoy a Spanish pedigree collapse over a century early! Fun for the whole family!)

That would actually be quite interesting. Who'd have the stronger claims?

Considering that the entire world is about to decend into war and madness I do have a somewath humorous question. Did Young Bloodyhead have a dwarf in this timeline?

Charles_emmanuel_with_dwarf.jpg

A painting of Charles Emmanuel and his dwarf IOTL.

Yes, he did. Actually, it was something of the family dwarf.

While we're on the subject--a picture of Catherine Marie Emanuelle in the future with HER dwarf.

560px-Alonso_S%C3%A1nchez_Coello_011.jpg

Dwarfs! To a Renaissance nobleman--they're like pets!

Last edited:
Catherine certainly likes the Elizabethan style lace collars ( I wonder what will replace the name Elizabethan to describe the period in England. Henrican? Tudorian? Arthurian? )

Also, I wonder what spin Catherine of Aragon has gotten. How are children taught to learn about Catherine, or do they all just pretend it never happened. I could see ITTL Catherine & Lady Mary Tudor getting a sympathized, apologist spin somewhere in the future similar to Richard III or even Anne Boleyn IOTL.

Catherine certainly likes the Elizabethan style lace collars ( I wonder what will replace the name Elizabethan to describe the period in England. Henrican? Tudorian? Arthurian? )

Also, I wonder what spin Catherine of Aragon has gotten. How are children taught to learn about Catherine, or do they all just pretend it never happened. I could see ITTL Catherine & Lady Mary Tudor getting a sympathized, apologist spin somewhere in the future similar to Richard III or even Anne Boleyn IOTL.
Presumably as a reaction against them being demonized.

Most people have a family tree. The Hapsburgs had a family tumbleweed.

Tumbleweed? Tumbleweed!? That's the biggest understatement of all time! Not even "We will not have war with Germany" and "God himself could not sink this ship!" have ever been as big an understatement as that line!
No, no. The Hapsburgs are not a family tumbleweed, nor do they have a tree.
Merely, they, sort of, exist - it's grim, disgusting and thank the heavens they went extinct... or Spain would be in a lot of do-do by now!

Once again a brilliant update and great to see this continuing. One thing I have noticed it that infant mortality rates appear to have plummeted in this TL compared to OTL, especially among the Tudors but also more widely.

I'd rather not imagine that timeline, but -- spoiler -- I have something like this planned for my timeline!

For what I have planned -- see below. Be warned: BELOW THERE BE SPOILERS!

12323.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.