Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Is there any way to make theater popular in Hollywood/L.A.? I think the idea of having theatre and stage plays becoming a popular past-time in L.A. at levels similar to Broadway in NYC would be interesting. LA certainly does not have any shortage of actors. The POD here would be around 1910.

Is there any way to make theater popular in Hollywood/L.A.? I think the idea of having theatre and stage plays becoming a popular past-time in L.A. at levels similar to Broadway in NYC would be interesting. LA certainly does not have any shortage of actors. The POD here would be around 1910.
Considering that this is the center of film production, and the biggest and most luxurious premieres take place there, the competition is very tough.

Some MCU questions:

What time period and which franchises would cause the most change in the MCU set up? For example, imagine they get back the rights to the X-Men in 2010. At that point they’re pretty well committed to at least one Avengers movie, but after that it’s a question mark.

Between Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, or X-Men which rights would cause the biggest waves in planning the McU if regained after they at least partially started?

I’m thinking 2010 is the earliest where you can still have some form of McU. Otherwise like if they got any of the major characters back in 2008 we might not see much of an expansion past maybe an Iron Man sequel.

Some MCU questions:

What time period and which franchises would cause the most change in the MCU set up? For example, imagine they get back the rights to the X-Men in 2010. At that point they’re pretty well committed to at least one Avengers movie, but after that it’s a question mark.

Between Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, or X-Men which rights would cause the biggest waves in planning the McU if regained after they at least partially started?

I’m thinking 2010 is the earliest where you can still have some form of McU. Otherwise like if they got any of the major characters back in 2008 we might not see much of an expansion past maybe an Iron Man sequel.
I think if Marvel had Spider-Man and all his supporting characters that would be a huge change for the early MCU as Spidey is their most well known character. His rights where sold in 1999 likely as fallout from the bankruptcy - change that and change the whole cinema timeline.

Having the Fantastic Four at the start would probably see a MCU kicked off like the comics with the birth of the FF. Having said that those rights sold in 1993, so you would probably have to stop Marvel being brought by Perlman to keep them, which would be for the better frankly.

A Hulk movie that does well in 2003 might have kickstarted more of a universe even without the FF, mutants or S-M.

One possibility that comes to mind if Sony buying all of Marvel in 1999 or Fox buying the bankrupt corp in 1995 - or indeed anyone else but the OTL Skybox buying Marvel would result in an different MCU.

As to post the start of the MCU with Iron Man, Hulk 2, etc? I cannot see Sony or Fox giving up their prizes once it is established there is bank to be made unless Marvel can write a HUGE cheque which they cannot without Disney's long pockets as seen OTL.

Question, theoretically if Capcom had entered the home console game at some point instead of staying as a third party dev how well do you think they'd do? Could they be a player 3 that rivals both Nintendo and Sega in their heyday and survive to the modern day or fail like Sega and eventually return to being a third party?

Question, theoretically if Capcom had entered the home console game at some point instead of staying as a third party dev how well do you think they'd do? Could they be a player 3 that rivals both Nintendo and Sega in their heyday and survive to the modern day or fail like Sega and eventually return to being a third party?
Say namco and would have been pausable, they were working on a console, Capcom for what I read and heard, wasn't interested in consoles and used as an extension for their arcade business

Say namco and would have been pausable, they were working on a console, Capcom for what I read and heard, wasn't interested in consoles and used as an extension for their arcade business
If they teamed up with the right people, it could have worked.....

What niche music genre are darker and more depressed than emo?
I'm thinking a world , which Bush was killed in white house during 9/11, war on terror escalated under president Cheney

What kind the music would dominate TTL 2000s?

*This question was inspired by a brilliant No 9/11 TL which written by Iwanh
In his story, an OTL niche music genre "New rave" replaced the popularity of emo , dominate the no 9/11 2000s

I just read this article at Sealion and it got be wondering: https://www.sealionpress.co.uk/post/popular-culture-without-star-wars

Without Star Wars existing could Superman in 1978 have sparked a late 70's superhero movie wave?

It was the second highest grossing movie of 1978 at $300.5m OTL, with an audience hungry for some fantastic escapist action could it have beat Grease? ($366.2m) and been a start of something? Wonder Woman was still on TV screens - has it been far enough along that the '66 Batman was forgotten and he could be piloted in WW? Could Superman himself crossover with Diana Prince? Shazam! only went of air in 1977 could it be revived? Would the Challenge of the Superheroes in 1979 be something a little more serious?

Marvel has The Incredible Hulk and Spider-Man on screens. There where 2 Captain America TV movies in 1979 that could have been a series instead ( and better!), Doctor Strange had a very trippy TV movie in 1978.

Then there was stuff like Man from Atlantis, Six Million Dollar Man, etc.

What would a superhero explosion in 78 onwards have looked like?

How do you mean? Could you elaborate please?
That Superman might has been the first seed but that still lead to nowhere, the sequels got less and less returns and the project of supergirl was a fiasco that ended up bombing..i took till Batman to try again and like super, that was overmilked.

But Blade did proved minor heroes could success in the box office if faithful to the source material

That Superman might has been the first seed but that still lead to nowhere, the sequels got less and less returns and the project of supergirl was a fiasco that ended up bombing..i took till Batman to try again and like super, that was overmilked.

But Blade did proved minor heroes could success in the box office if faithful to the source material
Ah, but that is what I am wondering about, that the 1978 Superman leads to a wave of Superhero movies in a world without Star Wars. Lots of sequels and debut movies for Shazam!, Cap America, Hulk, Spider-Man, Avengers, JLA etc etc.

They might not be good movies, but they are movies never-the-less, and if there is such a wave happened is possible that instead of using Adam West's Batman as the template the character gets a reboot more in line with OTL's Burton's Batman than Batman '66? A line of more serious takes on things?

Indeed if there is that Superhero wave with Batman, Incredible Hulk, Cap, etc etc but its light and 'comedic' in tone would that kill Superhero movies for ages?

Question - are there anyone on the forum who understands the topic of French cinema?

Yes, I'm fairly well versed in French and French-language cinema. Mostly the 50s to 70s, the Nouvelle Vague, though I'm familiar with the silent period and modern French film as well.

Yes, I'm fairly well versed in French and French-language cinema. Mostly the 50s to 70s, the Nouvelle Vague, though I'm familiar with the silent period and modern French film as well.
What I’m interested in here is the current state of things—more precisely, the trends that are worth paying attention to and that can be used in the timeline.
Here it is worth paying attention to the change of political regime, and secondly, the transformation of Eastern Europe into a French sales market of cinema.