Sino-American CoDominium

As AH nerds, I assume most of you are familiar with the concept of CoDominium. For those who aren't, it's an AH story wherein Russia and the United States work together to control the world and IIRC (it's been a while since I read it) they end up merging into one country. Now I don't necessarily want the second part for this scenario - you're certainly welcome to try and pitch it if you want to go wild.

I'm more interest in the idea of America and China establishing an uber close relationship (with a POD post 1945) perhaps comparable to the US/UK's special relationship or maybe FDR's idea of the "World Policemen".

So, have fun!

If you do a google on "China's Three Worlds Policy" or "China supports right-wing militias in Angola" or "China boycotts the Moscow Olympics" or "the US and China support the Khmer Rouge" or even just "the US and China support pretty much every asshole dictator that the other one supports", you'll have a pretty substantial OTL scenario more-or-less mirroring the one in the OP.

Mind you, most of that probably amounted to China cheerleading US foreign policy, and only occasionally offering material or military support(as in Angola). Still, it did amount to the US and China working together to uphold a particular hegemonic order.

Makes me wonder about SEATO & the smaller communist powers in a Sino-American CoDominium timeline. Could China's own kids from the messy Sino-Soviet divorce like Khmer Rouge Cambodia fight alongside South Vietnamese soldiers against North Vietnam and Laos?

Hoxha could make overtures to NATO too.

Could China's own kids from the messy Sino-Soviet divorce like Khmer Rouge Cambodia fight alongside South Vietnamese soldiers against North Vietnam and Laos?

Well, I don't think there was a North or South Vietnam by the time Khmer Rouge Cambodia came along. But if we consider unified Vietnam as a successor state to North Vietnam, you could say that the Khmer Rouge were fighting against the North Vietnamese throughout much of their regime's history, and afterwards, with the ongoing battle against Hanoi-backed Hun Sen.

As for Hoxha, I believe the Sino-US alliance was one of the main reasons he broke with China. So it seems unlikely that he would make moves toward NATO. Maybe if there were an earlier break-up of Yugoslavia, with a subsequent cleansing of Albanians in Kosovo etc, he might become more positively disposed toward NATO intervention. Assuming NATO in that time period did want to intervene on behalf of Albanians.

Well, I don't think there was a North or South Vietnam by the time Khmer Rouge Cambodia came along. But if we consider unified Vietnam as a successor state to North Vietnam, you could say that the Khmer Rouge were fighting against the North Vietnamese throughout much of their regime's history, and afterwards, with the ongoing battle against Hanoi-backed Hun Sen.

As for Hoxha, I believe the Sino-US alliance was one of the main reasons he broke with China. So it seems unlikely that he would make moves toward NATO. Maybe if there were an earlier break-up of Yugoslavia, with a subsequent cleansing of Albanians in Kosovo etc, he might become more positively disposed toward NATO intervention. Assuming NATO in that time period did want to intervene on behalf of Albanians.

Ooh. What about a reverse Ho Chi Minh trail with Khmer Rouge backing ARVN vets and Montagnards?

For this to be at all possible, China and the United States would need to be allies. This means that the Republic of China and the Kuomintang need to win the civil war. In this scenario, the United States might well come to see China, not Japan, as its major ally in East Asia.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Actually the idea behind the CoDominium is anything but a proper union between the U.S. and the USSR. The idea was that the two countries froze the global status quo, each maintaining their sphere of influence while also freezing most tech (the better to ensure that no one can overtake the U.S. or USSR if any tech that is militarily useful is unable to be developed (which leads to the interesting situation of CoDominium military forces bopping around the Galaxy in starships armed with 1980's weaponry, something that become a major plot point in the series).

A FTL drive is discovered, and becomes the exclusive property of the U.S. and USSR. Far from becoming a single country, the eventual result of the process is the exact WW III that the CoDominium was supposed to prevent.

Also, it isn't a single story, but an entire "Future History" series of novels by Jerry Pournelle (who died 10 days ago), who was the long time editor of the "There will be War" anthologies. The CD series parallels/interacts with Larry Niven's Mote in God's Eye universe.

Remarkable series if you like military "hard" sci fi.