The Axade

The Introduction

Come forth and listen to the tales of woe when in the depths of G.rwasiah the gates of Jahannam were flung open. It was a time of death and doom when men became beasts and shayatin walked the earth clad in flesh of mortals.
Al-Dhahabi, Wars for the Mound

This is a little teaser for the upcoming timeline I have been pondering on for some time now. Though I have the historic part covered I will be thanful if anyone with knowledge in Arabic could help be correct any mistakes I might make in using arabic names/words. Also I will try and get some kind of Slavic-Arabic hybrid to spring up in the levant, at least for naming towns and regions once I get to making maps.

Come forth and listen to the tales of woe when in the depths of G.rwasiah the gates of Jahannam were flung open. It was a time of death and doom when men became beasts and shayatin walked the earth clad in flesh of mortals.
Al-Dhahabi, Wars for the Mound

This is a little teaser for the upcoming timeline I have been pondering on for some time now. Though I have the historic part covered I will be thanful if anyone with knowledge in Arabic could help be correct any mistakes I might make in using arabic names/words. Also I will try and get some kind of Slavic-Arabic hybrid to spring up in the levant, at least for naming towns and regions once I get to making maps.

Interesting. Were did you take the form G.rwasiah (which I gather is supposed to be the Arabic form for Croatia?) from? Is it attested? Three consonants in a row are usually not allowed in Arabic words (in Classical Arabic I mean), nor are two of them at the beginning of a words. I suppose that a Medieval form would probably sound more like "Khurwatiyya" or "Ikhruwatiyya" (modern Arabic should be "Kurwatya" I think, but I have not sources at hand).

G.rwasiah is the form I found on Al-Idrisi's Tabula Rogeriana. When you mention the consonant thing it seams Al-Idris took the Slavic name Hrvatska/Hrvati and then Arabiased(sp) it.

G.rwasiah is the form I found on Al-Idrisi's Tabula Rogeriana. When you mention the consonant thing it seams Al-Idris took the Slavic name Hrvatska/Hrvati and then Arabiased(sp) it.

Is it possible that the dot after the G stands for an uncertain vowel?

Could be so, now that you mention it. For example:

Zadar = Gad.rah
Bakar = B.q.ri
Senj = S.nah

but then again there is also:

Trogir = T.rguri

So I am not sure

Last edited:
Could be so, now that you mention it. For example:

Zadar = Gad.rah
Bakar = B.q.ri
Senj = S.nah

but then again there is also:

Trogir = T.rguri

So I am not sure

Well, a word like "Trguri" would need a vowel after T in Arabic, so it makes sense. Another thing is that it's not clear to me is which Arabic letter is meant with G.

Well, a word like "Trguri" would need a vowel after T in Arabic, so it makes sense. Another thing is that it's not clear to me is which Arabic letter is meant with G.

I don't know since Tabula is writen in latin script and I went to check the copy of the original.

In the original map it is writen garauasia - with g having a dash over it like this c = ć

So I feel a bit embaresed now for believing the croatian history atlas. I am writing a mail to the author to ask WTF? That is no way to teach the children.

The Cross and the Lightning​

18th century depiction of Christ the Conqueror, as produced for the "People's Book" edition of the Bible

It was the middle of winter and the peaks outside his window were covered in snow, but he was sweating like a pig. The light of life was fading from his eyes. A month of fever had made sure of that. Once a muscular colossus, a hero of his people, an heir to the throne was reduced to a human wreck, a shadow of a man. The priest had just performed the last rights and was mumbling something in the language of the city dwellers. There wasn’t a person in the room that expected the prince to see the next morning. Come dawn the church bells would ring proclaiming to the land the sorrow of the good king Zvonimir. As the sun disappeared behind Velebit only the king kept vigil over his dying son. The door creaked and a hunched figure intruded the solemn moment. The old maid had come to say goodbye to her charge and inform the king that the bishop was expecting him to join him in prayer for the soul of the soon departed.

The king left and the maid sat by the bed softly speaking into the prince’s ear. Those were the very same stories she used to tell him when he was but a boy. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she gazed into the distant glazed eyes of a dying man she was so fond of. Unable to bear the pain she stood up and decided to leave. With one last sign of affection she kissed his forehead and placed a carved wooden token upon his chest, he would never see her again. Her lifeless body will be found by a guard in a hollow of an oak overlooking the royal spring, her wrists slit and a smile dancing on her lips.

With the sorrowful sound of the scops filling his ears the prince sank into a feverish dream. He was walking through the upland meadows of Velebit following a furrow in the ground when he saw a bloodied man carrying a cross. A band of daemons poked him with spears and beat him with sticks driving him to the ground. Christ was in danger but the prince could come no closer to aid his stricken god. The cross fell into the mud and the daemons began to rend the flesh of their victim. Anguish and despair filling his heart the heir cried out for help and was answered by an eagle looking at the scene from a top of a dry pine branch. With a savage cry the bird descended upon the daemonic host and in a flash of light where once there was an eagle now was an axe wielding giant smiting his foes by the dozen. In moments the monsters were slain and the giant helped Christ rise to his feet but now the daemons fell upon the prince bent on taking his soul as a consolation. The giant handed the axe to Christ and walked away never to return. Now it was time for Jesus to smite the wicked and smite them he did. When the gaze of battle lifted the prince saw his gore drenched saviour atop a mound of slain foes. Soon he loomed over him with an extended hand and as Christ brought the prince to his feet so he woke up screaming, miraculously cured.

The doors of the royal chapel were flung open and the gathering stood petrified by the sight at hand, he who should have been dead stood before them griping an axe in his hands and panting heavily. Joy filled their hearts as they rushed to great the young man. Had they known the future they might have cut him down where he stood for history and the world will in time both celebrate and curse the next king of the Croats, Radovan the strong, Radovan the fair, Radovan the conqueror, Radovan the butcher...

Though the exact details what had transpired are lost to history or have been reduced to legends it is certain that events in the middle of the eight decade of the 11th century in medieval Croatia began an avalanche that would change the world. The heir of king Zvonimir and the future king, Radovan, was according to legend miraculously healed and granted a vision from God on what is the true form of Christianity starting the cult of Christ the Conqueror or as it would later be known as Christ the Slayer...

Extract from “When the Cross was made into an Axe” by Ivo Goldstein, Biograd 2007.​

The real timeline with historical events will start very shortly, this just the PoD.

Also here is the image that kickstarted this entire thing some months ago