Chapter 48- Scottish Family trees

James IV of Scotland b 1473 m Anne of England b 1486 m 1503
Issue:

-James, Duke of Rothesay b 1505
-Stillborn daughter 1506
-Robert of Scotland b 1508

Is it wrong to say I enjoyed that?

Saves Maximilian some headaches :coldsweat:
Hehe, no you're not. In this TL Maximilian is still married to Mary of Burgundy.

Do any of you have any ideas what should happen next in this TL? I have a few loose ideas, but I don't know where to go now. Writers block!

Hehe, no you're not. In this TL Maximilian is still married to Mary of Burgundy.

Do any of you have any ideas what should happen next in this TL? I have a few loose ideas, but I don't know where to go now. Writers block!
Maybe Maximilian DOES get Hungary and Bohemia unlike OTL?

I've been rummaging over that with a couple friends this past week. Think I'm obsessed with Max XD

Feel free to do so. Let me know if you need any help.
I'm fairly knowledgeable about Maximilian and his dad (and most of the other Habsburgs) but I might need help with deciding the marriages for everybody. And since I'm a crazy writer, everyone expect TONS of OCs to pop up hehe.

Chapter 49 - I'm rather lost at the moment
I'm thinking of doing a time skip in this TL and move from 1508 to around 1517 with the next chapter. I don't really have anything of substance to write in 1509 to 1516.

Would that be okay with all of you?

Chapter 50 - We resume events in Burgundy in 1517
Keeping up with the Burgundians

The man tied to the stake only had a few moments left to live.

The morning of the 18th of January in 1517 started on a high note for the citizens of Breda in the duchy of Brabant. Large piles of wet snow had been cleared from the square outside of the town hall and the gathering crowd had trampled the rest to a greyish slush. Opportunistic vendors had set up stalls selling warm mulled cider, spiced hot wine, slices of appeltaerten and candied quinces to the women, men and children who had come to watch a man be burned on the pyre.

The landdrost Maarten van Soelen held the order to carry out the sentence in his hand. But he still waited for the Count of Somme to show up. Fortunately, the clopping of horses’ hooves and the retinue of armed guards told Maarten that his ever-diligent liege was precisely on time.

At twenty-six years old, Philip had assumed a stronger role in government, acting as his father’s deputy for several years. The Duke of Burgundy had slowed down in his constant travels during the past three years, due to his arthritis gradually becoming more severe. The duke and duchess remained in Ghent, where the Christmas celebrations had taken place. Isabelle, the Countess of Somme remained in the palace during her lying in, awaiting her fourth childbed. The countess had already given birth to two sons and a daughter, even if her firstborn had died a day afterwards. But Jean of Brabant and little Anne thrived in Bruges, being three and one respectively. The prayers of the court and the duchy were for a second son to ensure stability.

1675286182748.png

Philip, Count of Somme in 1517

But right now, Philip’s duty did not encompass his wife, the condemned man did. He rode up to Maarten, who was standing on an erected platform near the pyre. After a short discussion Philip nodded at Maarten, who stepped forth to read the verdict.

“For your crimes of murder and robbery, the estates of Brabant have rendered a sentence of death upon thee, and it shall now be carried out without mercy.”

After Maarten finished speaking, he nodded to a guard who held a burning torch to light the pyre. It took a few minutes before the damp wood caught on fire, but soon greyish smoke started to billow from the pyre and the screams of the man chained to the stake turned into agonising coughing and wretched vails. The chatter of the townsfolk increased, with parents putting their children on their shoulders or hanging out of opened windowsills from the buildings around the square.

Philip patterned the neck of his white gelding, as the snow began to fall. He rode towards the crowd clustered around the fire, stopping close enough that he could feel the heat of the leaping flames on his face.

“Let this be a warning to the people who dares to commit the foulest of crimes, they shall suffer the harshest of punishments.” Philip boomed. “My lord father will not tolerate murderers or bandits to rob honest christian people of their lives and safety. Neither shall I!

The man on the pyre had gone quiet now. The fire burned high and steady, and the falling snowflakes made a hissing sound when evaporating upon contact. A little while later the crowd began to disperse. Windows closed shut, wives went about their errands around the city, the shops started making their woollen cloth. Children played safely in the streets of Brabant, and with the winter snow still there, shouts of joy soon filled the air along with snowballs flying in flurry streaks of glistening snow.

The fire on the pyre died down after a couple of hours, leaving a piled of charred bones and smouldering embers behind. The remains were gathered by a young monk who had hired a couple of labourers to assist him. A small wooden crate had been acquired and would be buried in a pauper’s field outside of the city with a wooden cross to mark it.

It was a inglorious end for the infamous robber baron Hans Thomas von Absberg who for many years had terrorised and kidnapped merchants and magistrates around Germany and made the fatal mistake of straying inside the border of the Low Countries the previous autumn.

1675286239152.png

Hans Thomas of Absberg, robber baron who won the ultimate prize of the "F**k around and find out competition of 1517

Philip would begin to return to Ghent to see his wife Isabelle a few days after, but it would not be the happy occasion either had hoped for. Isabelle had gone into labour on the 28th of January, but her daughter had been stillborn. And her husband’s return to the ducal palace on the 6th the next month were greeted with dark curtains drawn and candles burning in the chapel. Isabelle managed to recover from her grief a few weeks later, and at her churching in the magnificent St Bavo’s cathedral the atmosphere might have been much more sombre then intended, but the thanks given for the countess’s survival was every bit as genuine. It would not be until four years later that Isabelle would become pregnant again with her namesake daughter. And her longed for second son would come four years after his sister, named for his great-grandfather Charles the Bold.

Isabelle patronised the religious community of the Brethren of the Common Life after 1517 and the funds provided by her would be used to educate, amongst others, Cornelius Jansen who would become the first bishop of Ghent in 1560. Jansen would be an important figure in the counter-reformation after attending the Council of Trent that started in 1545. Isabelle would not live to see that day, but Jansen came to be a councillor and envoy during the reign of her son, Jean.

1675286864878.jpeg

Isabelle of York, Grand Duchess of Brabant

Another figure to step into the ducal court during 1517 was Thomas Boleyn who arrived as the new ambassador from England during in early March with his family. His youngest daughter Anne entered the court as a lady in waiting to Isabelle of Burgundy, or Isabelle of Bazel as she was called, to distinguish her from the other Isabelle’s around court. As she were the same age as Anne, Isabelle was her father’s last child with the duchess Ana and a joyful girl to be around.
Thomas took it upon himself to inquire if Richard IV would be interested in a match between Isabelle and the prince of Wales, now ten years old, but Richard seemed determined to go through with the marriage with Infanta Isabella of Portugal, now twelve years old. Queen Catherine of Aragon however, wanted to wed her son to her one of her nieces, Infanta Yolande, or Infanta Blanche. And from the Holy Roman Emperor came offers of Archduchess Isabella’s hand in marriage to London as well. Another potential Isabelle was the eldest daughter of the king of France born in 1508 .

The negotiations between England and the Low Countries were cut short on the 22nd of April that year. Philip of Burgundy’s health declined even further after he caught a spring cold in early March and after a few weeks the forty-eight-year-old Duke could not get out of bed. As his father had been incapacitated in the ducal palace in Brussels, Philip took over government rule, while the duchess Ana tended to her husband leaving countess Isabelle to tend to Anne of Burgundy, Isabelle of Bazel and her own two children.

The last Duke of Burgundy died in the early morning. Philip’s last night was spent surrounded by his family, much to his joy during the few moments of wakefulness in the final hours. His passing spared him from the sorrow of his second daughter Magdalena’s horrific death in childbed in Lorraine the next autumn with her stillborn daughter

To the citizens of the Low Countries the next days would be days of mourning and church bells would toll hourly from Amiens to Amsterdam. Philip had not been a great conqueror like his father had been. Aside from the early fighting with France during his mother’s regency and the stinging loss of the duchy and county of Burgundy itself, the sole warfare happened in 1506 and Philip had been victorious there.

His reign had been a nearly uninterrupted peace for nearly forty years. A period of tranquillity since 1480 in which the Low Countries had become a more cohesive realm. The Low Countries had prospered, the trades network had at this point overtaken the Hanseatic League in the Baltic Sea, humanism spread out around the religious community as well as merchants and courtiers. The universities flourished and artist flocked to the ducal court, where men like Joachim Patinir and Hieronymus Bosch found steadfast patrons. Bosch became a favourite of the duchess, who financed several of his religious works.

1675286381112.png

The martyrdom of Wilgefortis, an Iberian maid who refused to wed a Moorish man
Made for Duchess Ana in 1497 by Bosch

Several leading lights in science also found a place in the court during Philip’s reign and his successors. Gerardus Mercator, the geographer who created the world map in 1569 that became one of the most important nautical charts at the time. It would become used by the voyaging Dutch sailors that established spice trades and the future trading company in the later 16th century.

Andries van Wesel also became connected to the court. His work De Humani Corporis Fabrica Libri Septem (On the fabric of the human body in seven books), became the most influential anatomy books during the renaissance. The Wesel family became connected to the ducal court for several generations. Andries grandfather, Everard, held the position physician to Duke Philip, and Andries became a lifelong friend of Jean of Brabant. Both his parents served at court, Anders as valet de chambre to the Philip the Elder and secretary to his son, while Isabel Crabbe served the duchess as a lady in waiting.

1675286470793.png

Andries van Wesel

Thanks to a network of marriages forged from 1492 and onwards the dukedoms many allies in 1517 included England, Castile and Aragon, Portugal, Denmark, Norway and Sweden, Lorraine, The Holy Roman Empire and Brittany as well.
Philip’s administration had given Luxembourg and Rethel to his brother John and his heiress wife, Marie. Their son Charles had married Marie d’Albret in 1506 and had several beautiful children together.

Philip of Burgundy’s son would go on to rule the Low Countries at the Grand Duke of Brabant.

You'all, the sheer headache I got from trying to keep all the different Isabella, Isabelle and Isabel apart in this chapter. I hope it was worth it. Turning out all I needed to get my head in the game again was to skip nine years forwards and burn a man at stake. Some solutions are easier then thought.

Last edited: