Top Twenty Pre-20th Century Commanders?

Manuel I Komnenos is a good pick, too. His campaigns against the Seljuks, Normans, and Pechenegs practically saved the Byzantine Empire from collapse, and the way he exploited the First Crusade is intriguing, except for maybe the mistake of not relieving the Crusaders at Antioch.

Last edited:
Suvorov, Wellington, the Archduke Charles, the Duke of Parma, Turenne, Charles XII, Moltke the Elder, Shaka, Edward of Woodstock, El Cid, Belisarius

I'm just throwing names out there for consideration; I can see a lot of these guys not quite making top 20.

Actually, my original list features a lot of guys who wouldn't fit under the new criteria I laid out, so there needs to be a new one.

I think we should keep Julius Caesar and Sulla from the Roman Republic's guys. Belisarius is a good addition, but I'm wary of stuffing this with Romans when there are so many greats out there. Seems a little Eurocentric.

Anyone else to be removed according to the new criteria? Suleiman and William the Conqueror are prob gonna have to go, like most of those famous for land-grabbing, but I'd keep Subutai and Khalid out of the great conquerors. Those two were conquer-machines, but they also displayed incredible tactical skill in the face of almost-cartoonishly outsized opposing forces.

Actually, my original list features a lot of guys who wouldn't fit under the new criteria I laid out, so there needs to be a new one.

I think we should keep Julius Caesar and Sulla from the Roman Republic's guys. Belisarius is a good addition, but I'm wary of stuffing this with Romans when there are so many greats out there. Seems a little Eurocentric.

Anyone else to be removed according to the new criteria? Suleiman and William the Conqueror are prob gonna have to go, like most of those famous for land-grabbing, but I'd keep Subutai and Khalid out of the great conquerors. Those two were conquer-machines, but they also displayed incredible tactical skill in the face of almost-cartoonishly outsized opposing forces.

What about King Alfred?

Good point! I think it'd be a more interesting list if it was ranking people by tactical skill rather than just sheer conquering ability. Bonus points if they were able to pull off wins under serious logistical strain or against overwhelming numbers/better equipped troops consistently.

Does Hannibal stay under these requirements?

Since we're going by tactics I'd say Belisarius deserves it more than the other two, his campaigns in Italy were like the upper limit of what can be accomplished through tactics in spite of a strategically hopeless situation.

edit: Also I wouldn't be too quick to write off William, his use of cavalry was pretty ingenuitive. Hastings, along with Lechfeld, is often cited as the point when heavy cavalry became the deciding factor on the Medieval Battlefield.

Last edited:
Sun Tzu deserves to be on the top 10 of the list

It's hard to make room for somebody whose very existence is questioned by some scholars. We also know rather little about any actual campaigns he may have led, at least that I've heard about.

Does Hannibal stay under these requirements?

Hannibal consistently made both strategic and tactical moves which caught Roman generals flat-footed. He deserves a top three spot in just about any 'best generals ever' list as measured by just about any metric.

I mean, he was fighting the Roman Republic, a highly militaristic nation with an incredible military record, on their home turf, long before their decline, with a substantially smaller force and he consistently won battles while avoiding critical defeats for over a decade.

Hannibal consistently made both strategic and tactical moves which caught Roman generals flat-footed. He deserves a top three spot in just about any 'best generals ever' list as measured by just about any metric.

I mean, he was fighting the Roman Republic, a highly militaristic nation with an incredible military record, on their home turf, long before their decline, with a substantially smaller force and he consistently won battles while avoiding critical defeats for over a decade.

I think the top 3 all time has to be Hannibal, Caesar, and Perhaps Robert E. Lee?

I think the top 3 all time has to be Hannibal, Caesar, and Perhaps Robert E. Lee?
I love Robert E. Lee********** but no he's not quite top three material. I would put him in top 20, maybe even higher, but he doesn't beat Alexander or Napoleon or Frederick the Great imo. I do think he's a better general that Gustavus Adolphus, who's just badly overrated imo, and did not deserve his spot in Napoleon's top seven.

********** as a general; as a person, very complex figure

I love Robert E. Lee********** but no he's not quite top three material. I would put him in top 20, maybe even higher, but he doesn't beat Alexander or Napoleon or Frederick the Great imo. I do think he's a better general that Gustavus Adolphus, who's just badly overrated imo, and did not deserve his spot in Napoleon's top seven.

********** as a general; as a person, very complex figure

I’ll go with Nappy then

Good point! I totally forgot that navies were, y'know, a thing....

This would push some of the less able generals off the list, which is something to note. Currently, we've got - in no particular order:
  1. Alexander the Great
  2. Julius Caesar
  3. Hannibal Barca
  4. Subutai (The most notable/capable Mongol general, so I put him in for the whole group)
  5. Napoleon Bonaparte
  6. Jan Zizka
  7. Khalid ibn al Walid
  8. Horatio Nelson
  9. Yi Sun-Sin
  10. Michiel de Ruyter
  11. Ulysses Grant
  12. Liu Bang
  13. Alexander Suvorov
  14. John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough
  15. Suleiman the Magnificent
  16. Eumenes
  17. William the Conqueror
Edit: Updated again!
I think I could vouch for Liu Bang, Alexander Suvorov and the Duke of Marlborough for a spot in the top 20 generals.
Why is Liu Bang actually on the list? He was universally regarded as a pretty shit general,and was mainly effective as a political leader and manager of talent. When he’s personally out in the field,he generally suffered massive defeats against his enemies even though he outnumbered them by an enormous margin. Most of the successful fighting were conducted by his general Han Xin.Basically,Liu Bang is a guy who consistently suffers Gaugamela style defeats.

Last edited: