What if France obtained eastern Hispaniola earlier, for longer?

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
In OTL, France, via buccaneers, obtained neglected Spanish western Hispaniola during the middle 1600s. Over time they imported sugar planters and slaves from Martinique, in 1697, Spain belatedly recognized French control and Sainte-Domingue had become a big sugar plantation colony. By the mid and late 1700s it became a huge moneymaker for France.

meanwhile, the Spanish eastern two-thirds of Hispaniola, Spain’s inaugural Santo Domingo colony remained a relative backwater, lightly populated as colonists became attracted to the middle rich mainland after the Cortez and Pizarro expeditions, with the Spanish never intensively investing in sugar plantations in the later 1500s, 1600, 1700s, its economy was about ranching and small scale agriculture and crafts.

Near the end of the French period in Haiti/Sainte-Domingue, as a consequence of beating Spain in the war of the Pyrenees in 1795 or 1796 and the treaty of Basel, France compelled Spain to cede eastern Hispaniola, gaining the whole island for the first time.

I imagine the French were thinking this simplified defense, but also that this provided an opportunity to extend Haitian style intensive sugar cultivation across the entire island, and gain the profits therefrom. But they never got the chance because Haiti was in rebellion in this period, which largely succeeded by 1803, and France was at near constant war.

But could France have obtained all Hispaniola substantially earlier, developed it on Haitian lines, and profited immensely?

Possibly during the 1600s? Or during the War of the Quadruple Alliance against Spain in 1718-1719?

Or diplomatically, as part of an intra-Bourbon land swap- perhaps exchanging it for the claims on Louisiana territory or its Gulf Coast, especially in its early years when barely developed?

Or perhaps swapped in 1766 or 1768 when the French gave up their Malouines/Malvinas/Falklands fort to Spain?

In any case - if France had gotten all of Hispaniola, either starting in 1697, or 1719, or 1768, and from that point had start planting sugar cane on it, wall to wall, as quick as practicable, what kind of money would the French state and economy make from it- could it be in solid enough fiscal shape to avoid calling the Estates General in 1789, or even to avoid appeals to the Parlements several years earlier?

what kind of money would the French state and economy make from it- could it be in solid enough fiscal shape to avoid calling the Estates General in 1789, or even to avoid appeals to the Parlements several years earlier?
The short answer is "no".

The long answer is: Usually state revenues and expenditures were considered a state secret, but on the eve of the revolution Necker did publish a full account of the state's finances, and they painted a very bleak picture. Here's that report summarized:
1701789616045.png1701789963180.png
In total France was running at a 160 million livres deficit for 1788.
One of the biggest problems was the poor tax collection system, in which for-profit private firms were basically sold the right to collect taxes, of which they could then keep a substantial share at the end of the year. More than half of all the collected taxes were lost this way before the state even got the opportunity to spend them (that's the -260 million number in the first picture).​

Hispaniolan sugar, and other colonial goods, would have had to single-handedly increase France's net income by approximately 75% (from 210 million to 370 million) just to break even in this year. That seems pretty unlikely... (Honestly I wish I could find a source that actually determines what share of OTL's customs duties and sales taxes originated from Saint Domingue's colonial goods, but so far I've found nothing.)

And mind you this is a year where France was at peace, because of which military spending was low at "only" 100 million livres. At times of war military spending would have easily doubled (shown below), meaning the deficit would have been substantially worse than it already was.
1701793374396.jpeg

A unified Hispaniola would have been a stupidly profitable colony to any power that develops it, however I doubt the incomes would have been quite that large. French finances would be somewhat better but they wouldn't have been fixed, and many inherint issues of the French financial system would still be there.

One of the biggest problems was the poor tax collection system, in which for-profit private firms were basically sold the right to collect taxes, of which they could then keep a substantial share at the end of the year. More than half of all the collected taxes were lost this way before the state even got the opportunity to spend them (that's the -260 million number in the first picture).​
And to think that most places that had tax farming implemented it because it was seen as more efficient and reliable than the preceeding tax collection schemes. But more than half of collected taxes as 'expenses', holy cow! No wonder that the commoners were pissed at the gabelle, taille and capitation.

Update, I finally found a source with some useful info!

"France was the world’s principal exporter of sugar, and the value of production from Saint-Domingue in 1789 alone was 217.5 million livres"
-Martti Koskenniemi, To the Uttermost Parts of the Earth. Legal Imagination and International Power 1300–1870
"Products from its Caribbean colonies accounted for something between one-third and two-thirds of the total of France’s foreign trade."
-Laurent Dubois, A Colony of Citizens. Revolution and Slave Emancipation in the French Caribbean 1787–1804
To avoid some possible confusion, the value in the first quote is the total value of the produced goods themselves, not the value of the taxes collected on them (I still don't know the rate for France lol). And the second quote is only talking about foreign trade, whereas the number in the table is a combination of all tolls, sales taxes, and duties on both external and internal trade. And then we still need to think of the inefficiencies of the taxation system that will see a significant share of the collected taxes being lost to the state.
Doing some back-of-the-napkin math I think this confirms what I said before, it'll contribute quite a bit to the state's incomes but it won't pull it out of debt unless production would increase much more than I'd expect.​

And to think that most places that had tax farming implemented it because it was seen as more efficient and reliable than the preceeding tax collection schemes. But more than half of collected taxes as 'expenses', holy cow! No wonder that the commoners were pissed at the gabelle, taille and capitation.
The wild thing is that technically it was, especially in regard to reliability. After all the money was collected and the state did get the money it requested fairly consistently. But the terms were clearly more advantageous to the firms.

Bigger Mulatto population, more agitation probably colonial whites alongside mulattoes unite. Because they were divided due to legal restrictions

The short answer is "no".

The long answer is: Usually state revenues and expenditures were considered a state secret, but on the eve of the revolution Necker did publish a full account of the state's finances, and they painted a very bleak picture. Here's that report summarized:
View attachment 873505View attachment 873507

Hispaniolan sugar, and other colonial goods, would have had to single-handedly increase France's net income by approximately 75% (from 210 million to 370 million) just to break even in this year. That seems pretty unlikely... (Honestly I wish I could find a source that actually determines what share of OTL's customs duties and sales taxes originated from Saint Domingue's colonial goods, but so far I've found nothing.)

And mind you this is a year where France was at peace, because of which military spending was low at "only" 100 million livres. At times of war military spending would have easily doubled (shown below), meaning the deficit would have been substantially worse than it already was.
View attachment 873515

A unified Hispaniola would have been a stupidly profitable colony to any power that develops it, however I doubt the incomes would have been quite that large. French finances would be somewhat better but they wouldn't have been fixed, and many inherint issues of the French financial system would still be there.

In this case, the French and Haitian Revolutions would proceed as in otl, but with France controlling Santo Domingo longer than otl and with fewer Spanish descended people, Haiti would be more inclined to invade Santo Domingo and annex Santo Domingo into and treat Santo Domingo/ the Dominican Republic as if it were Haiti. In the long run, Santo Domingo, instead of being Santo Domingo/ the Dominican Republic, would be Haiti.

In this case, the French and Haitian Revolutions would proceed as in otl, but with France controlling Santo Domingo longer than otl and with fewer Spanish descended people, Haiti would be more inclined to invade Santo Domingo and annex Santo Domingo into and treat Santo Domingo/ the Dominican Republic as if it were Haiti. In the long run, Santo Domingo, instead of being Santo Domingo/ the Dominican Republic, would be Haiti.

Santo Domingo would be part of Haiti.

It is interesting to imagine how the human geography of the island would change. If the whole island fell to France, perhaps established Santo Domingo would become the hub of the colony.

It is interesting to imagine how the human geography of the island would change. If the whole island fell to France, perhaps established Santo Domingo would become the hub of the colony.
Oh Santo Domingo would definitely be the hub of the colony. The ideal land for sugar cultivation is flat and well-irrigated, and it just so happens that southeastern Hispaniola is a massive plain. Or at least a much bigger one than any on the west coast. So the lands around SD would attract planters pretty much instantly, and the region would quickly become the primary sugar producer on the island. As the main port on the southern coast SD will be booming, in fact I'd predict it becomes one of the biggest and richest cities in the entire Caribbean region.

Port au Prince meanwhile is probably going to be a somewhat minor city, especially compared to otl.​