What if Kennedy 'release the beast' let Johnson had more influence?

Hello I was wondering if Kennedy let the beast lose within the sentor, the beast reference to Vice President Johnson had more influence than he had, I believe Kennedy once said that Johnson would take issues to a mile which was one of the reasons Kennedy had Johnson on a leash, what would Johnson had done with more power as Vice President, would we see different acts being signed in?

I think in the long term it would be beneficial if Kennedy hasn't been assassinated I think he would let Johnson handle the civil right bill to be pass,but on the other hand the two men I think didn't get along that well and I think one Bobby Kennedy wouldn't be to please with Johnson having any influence, what do you think?

Johnson had power from his time in Congress, but that became a sinking asset when he accepted the vice presidency. His ability to dispense pork barrel & influence were rapidly declining. Kennedy took him on to corral the Southern Democrat vote, and for his influence in Congress. The latter was still present, but weakening.

There was also the question of if a investigation or two ny the US Attorney Generals office might connect to Johnson. There was increasing evidence of corruption in the agricultural programs southwestern offices and evidence was collecting against several important associates or supporters of Johnson. Where that might have gone is difficult to say. Robert Kennedy as Attorny General may or may not have had a plan for Johnson.

Johnson had accepted the VP position on the assumption Kennedy would not last & he could leverage himself into the nomination for the 1964 election. In 1963 that was clearly not the case & Johnson was losing and incentive to work for or with Kennedy.

Last edited: