What would a present day without World War 1 look like?

Essentially no Fascism, no Communism, no Art Deco, no Prohibition, no "Dieselpunk".

How do you think a world like this would evolve like in the 20th and 21st centuries?

People becoming increasingly sexually open and naturalistic, with an Art Nouveau style spreading its comfortable vines all over the place (Kinda like the Nightborne in World of Warcraft)?

Europe retaining its religiousity and America its traditional churches while Christian Fundamentalism is butterflied away?

The Ottoman Empire and the Arab World remaining in a better economic and social situation, retaining traditional Islamic culture instead of newfound Wahhabite fundamentalism?

Most countries of the world remaining old-school Republics, Kingdoms, and Empires?

What are your ideas? I can't help but to predict that such a world would be much better than OTL.

Even if archduke wasn't killed another thing would have just sparked another war. Europe was the brink of war so it depends on how to prevent any world war.

Even if archduke wasn't killed another thing would have just sparked another war. Europe was the brink of war so it depends on how to prevent any world war.

Maybe retain a stronger "Concert of Europe" system, or have some scientist or philosopher explain to national leaders that a war with modern technology would be too destructive both in human lives and societal ramfactions to ever attempt, kinda like an early version of the MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory.

It is interesting that Carl Jung, a post-Freudian psychologist of the times has been having Apocalyptic visions about the future in the early 1910s, probably triggered by witnessing the deteriorating social conditions of his time.

I feel that we still haven't recovered from WWI.

Another interesting thing about the Archduke's assassination is that Fate seemed to always intervene in Gavrilo Principe's plans, as if some divine power didn't want for him to succeed and trigger our OTL, but unfortunately he eventually succeeded.

Last edited:
Though if we just take away all the tension in Europe, here's what I think would happen:

• Colonialism would still be around maybe up until the 80s as Europe would have not beat itself to death.
  • The United States would have never become a superpower and remain isolationist.
  • The Ottoman and Austrian Empire would have still collapsed (Might survive into the 1930s or 50s.) They were still weakened from nationalism in their nations and their governments were corrupt.
  • Communism and Fascism would probably remain as fringed ideologies. I am unsure if a Russian Revolution would have happened but I assume Nicolas would have been less hated by his people than he was in OTL 1917.
  • 105 Million people would have not died, thus placing the World population at 7.9/8 Billion. (Ruff estimate)
  • Women's rights to vote would have taken longer in many countries since we saw many of them enter the workplace.
  • Technology would be less advance as the space race never occurred.
  • There would be more monarchies than there are today. World War 1 effectively ended Monarchies.
  • The Japanese Empire would still be around. I'm sure if they would still keep Korea. Also, Anime and K-pop would probably not exist (That's either a blessing or a cursed depending on the person)
  • War on terror won't happen. No skyes-picot to create Islamic extremism and no communism that would overthrow the king of Afghanistan.
  • Not sure if this would affect the civil rights movement or the LGBTQ one.
  • More might be added.

1598232608191.png

xsampa

Banned
Maybe the colonies industrialize because empires don’t want to deal with high tariff barriers.

Maybe retain a stronger "Concert of Europe" system, or have some scientist or philosopher explain to national leaders that a war with modern technology would be too destructive both in human lives and societal ramfactions to ever attempt, kinda like an early version of the MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory.

It is interesting that Carl Jung, a post-Freudian psychologist of the times has been having Apocalyptic visions about the future in the early 1910s, probably triggered by witnessing the deteriorating social conditions of his time.

Another interesting thing about the Archduke's assassination is that Fate seemed to always intervene in Gavrilo Principe's plans, as if some divine power didn't want for him to succeed and trigger our OTL, but unfortunately he eventually succeeded.

Got that right, brother :) Nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms....

Science is more advanced in some areas than others. One cause is the amount of possible inventors/geniuses not killed. Another is places like the Kaiser Whilhelm Institute does not suffer the brain drain in the 20s and 30s because of ideology.

Lots of multi engine passenger aircraft were prototypes just before the war started, Sikorsky’s Ilya Mouomets is a good example, these were stunted because of the need for single engine fighter types in WW1.

BAttleships last longer until viable means to render them obsolete. Carriers using wheeled landing gear don’t start being developed or used as early, seaplane support vessels would be the norm for both civilian and military use. Submarines stay a niche weapon until proven in combat by a major power.

Rockets could actually be more advanced with the work of Goddard and the German civilian programs.

Only if you blame the Second Reich for the onset of the Great War... which, as you are no doubt aware of by now, not all of us on here buy into ;)
One doesn’t have to believe that the German Empire was responsible for WWI to understand that the unification of Germany was a huge “system shock” to the post-Napoleonic that came to be known as the Concert of Europe

One doesn’t have to believe that the German Empire was responsible for WWI to understand that the unification of Germany was a huge “system shock” to the post-Napoleonic that came to be known as the Concert of Europe
Agreed... but Bismarck had his own system for preserving peace in Europe... worked pretty well for almost 30 years, not a bad run as far as Europe goes....

Starforce

Banned
Without the millions of deaths, extreme ideologies like communism and fascism I imagine the world to be calmer in the modern era. There would likely have been some war at some point, but I think it would be a better world currently.

In any case, the Concert of Europe, while it was a noble concept, couldn't have lasted forever.... simply too many conflicting ambitions on the part of all of the major powers. And while it lasted, it wasn't consistently successful in staving off conflicts between the Great Powers... Crimea jumps to mind immediately for me....

Sometimes the best way to win is to never play the game.
Agreed on that point! Although in Germany's position, wedged between Russia and France and with concrete treaty obligations toward Austria-Hungary, hard to see how things could've played out much differently, once Nicky II refused to demobilize... one plays the hand one is dealt.... though admittedly some cards may have been drawn or discarded differently...