What would the development of the independent Confederacy's Transcontinental Railroad look like?

In my TL, the Confederacy gets its independence after the 1864 election, electing a peace candidate, due to war weariness.

In the peace negotiations, the Confederacy gets the Arizona Territory and Kentucky (due to them seceding in my TL) The Confederate government repeals it's anti internal improvements articles in its Constitution. The Confederacy builds up its economy before beginning construction to make their Transcontinental Railroad.

How would the construction look like?

What would be the standardized gauge look like if they had a say in it?

How would they fund it differently from the Union?

Also I need options for three routes for their Transcontinental Railroad, where would the routes start and end based on these directions.

-North-South Route: The first route could start from the northern part of the Confederacy, and traverse all the way south to the Gulf of Mexico, connecting the major cities and rural populations along the way. This route could be challenging, as it may need to cross dense forests, rugged mountains, and big rivers.

-East-West Route: The second route could start from the eastern coast and traverse all the way west to the Pacific Ocean, through the sprawling plains, prairies, and deserts of the interior region. This route could have fewer geographic obstacles, but could cover vast distances and involve several different terrains.

-Diagonal Route: The third route could start from the north-eastern part of the Confederacy and traverse diagonally across the country, towards the south-western part. This route could cover almost all types of geographical features - from mountains to deserts to forests - and offer the most diverse experience to the passengers.

it could be paid for by a deal between the states involved or by private investment.
The big question is would there be enough passengers and trade to make the route profitable?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I think they would look for foreign investment, which is not a defeat or anything strange in these times - even a lot of France's early railways were financed/constructed by British firms. Later France helped to finance the Russian expansion.

If there is foreign investment then they are going to want to see the best financial return - this would look at a number of factors
1) Linking major cities
2) Linking in the ranchers to get the cattle traffic
3) Military sense for the route, i.e. getting soldiers to the front line or to muster points
4) Replacing roads, rivers and canals with faster more efficient routes that can carry more traffic
5) Opening new opportunities for settlement and trade and industry - e.g. see OTL Michigan producing cars for the whole USA

I think they would look for foreign investment, which is not a defeat or anything strange in these times - even a lot of France's early railways were financed/constructed by British firms. Later France helped to finance the Russian expansion.

If there is foreign investment then they are going to want to see the best financial return - this would look at a number of factors
1) Linking major cities
2) Linking in the ranchers to get the cattle traffic
3) Military sense for the route, i.e. getting soldiers to the front line or to muster points
4) Replacing roads, rivers and canals with faster more efficient routes that can carry more traffic
5) Opening new opportunities for settlement and trade and industry - e.g. see OTL Michigan producing cars for the whole USA
What could be the routes for the ones I described?

Grey Wolf

Donor
What could be the routes for the ones I described?
I would think it would have to run from Norfolk and Richmond (twin starting points) to Atlanta, Birmingham, Baton Rouge...

It's hard to do just one route when logically it has to take in places that would be off it, like Louisville

I'd think it would have to stay off the coast as that makes it vulnerable to bombardment and interdiction

From Baton Rouge to Houston?