Which world war did Germany have a better chance of winning?

Which world war did Germany have a better chance of winning

• World War 1

Votes: 506 95.3%
  • Wolrd War 2

Votes: 25 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WW1 having bad but not insane leadership helped. Plus in real terms Germany was rather weaker in WW2 and it's main foe in WW2 was far stronger.

I've just cast the 74th voat in favour of World War I being the most "winnable" for various reasons. Miletory history isn't really my strong point, but I got the impression that the Central Powers were actually "winning" for quite sometime during 1916.

Sumeragi

Banned
78 votes and counting. Still 100% :eek:

All things considered, WW1 could have been won if the US didn't join the war, while in WW2 Germany and the USSR were going to clash one way or another. Therefore, I would say just slight changes in policies could have made France collapse, leading to a Central victory.

I've just cast the 74th voat in favour of World War I being the most "winnable" for various reasons. Miletory history isn't really my strong point, but I got the impression that the Central Powers were actually "winning" for quite sometime during 1916.
The Central Powers were literally on the cusp of winning the war in February 1917.

Green, you goldilocks madman!

Greensheviks forever!

Black Gold! Texas Tea.

Oh shoot, sorry to break the streak in the poll. I have to say though that Germany practically did win WW2 up until it invaded Russia and Japan decided to attack the US. All that was left of a last hope was England's self defense. It's scary, but they basically conquered continental Europe and killed millions of people with nobody stopping them. Everyone just bent over for the Germans as if they were invinsible. All continental europe was shocked and awed by the Germans. People were neutral or cutting deals left and right.

:/ my bad

Black Gold! Texas Tea.

Oh shoot, sorry to break the streak in the poll. I have to say though that Germany practically did win WW2 up until it invaded Russia and Japan decided to attack the US. All that was left of a last hope was England's self defense. It's scary, but they basically conquered continental Europe and killed millions of people with nobody stopping them. Everyone just bent over for the Germans as if they were invinsible. All continental europe was shocked and awed by the Germans. People were neutral or cutting deals left and right.

:/ my bad

Except that Blitzkrieg was falling apart at the Battle of Smolensk, where in World War I Germany was overrunning countries when pretty much every other country had a problem simply finding out how to attack and do an attack properly.

Sumeragi

Banned
Yes, but even if Hitler didn't invade the Soviet Union, Pearl Harbor would most likely have made him at war with the US, and who's to say that Stalin wouldn't backstab Germany as the Western Front hold downs forces? That's the problem with WW2: While Germany could have gotten away after victory, Hitler didn't have any ways to ensure the post-war peace.

Except that Blitzkrieg was falling apart at the Battle of Smolensk, where in World War I Germany was overrunning countries when pretty much every other country had a problem simply finding out how to attack and do an attack properly.

Yes, but even if Hitler didn't invade the Soviet Union, Pearl Harbor would most likely have made him at war with the US, and who's to say that Stalin wouldn't backstab Germany as the Western Front hold downs forces? That's the problem with WW2: While Germany could have gotten away after victory, Hitler didn't have any ways to ensure the post-war peace.

France!

The USSR and the US were indeed going to be too much for Germany, but part of that was diplomatic and ally-related. Should have broken off relations with Japan before tensions with the US rose too much or something, and they would've gotten even closer (let alone invading USSR). Glad it didn't happen, but easily could have happened.

During WW1, Germany couldn't even conquer France. It had no-name allies the entire war. Russia withdrew from the conflict instead of fighting it out. Civil war style. Germany did capture as much territory in WW1!

Edit: Plus trench warfare meant there would be no sudden chance to envelope a nation's army, it was a doomed-to-be-ground-down situation.

how does blitzkrieg "fall apart" in a battle where you take 350k prisoners at little loss to yourself?