Consequences of Confederate Hippos?

• It backfires, and the hippos become a problem for the CSA

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • It's a mixed result

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • It's successful, and hippos become a meat source for the CSA

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Alright. This idea is going to sound batsh*t insane, and kills thousands of Butterflies... But hear me out.

However, before we get into the scenario, some context around “Lake Cow Bacon." In 1910, Louisiana Congressman Robert F. Broussard proposed a bill, to fund $250,000, in importing hippos from Africa to Louisiana, for meat and to combat an invasive plant species. It was described as “Lake cow bacon”. However, the bill fell short in the US Congress, and was never passed.

Now what if the American Hippo Bill was passed... but not in the United States Congress. In this timeline, it gets passed in the Confederate States Congress...

... Continue to hear me out.

With a POD I've been using for most of my CSA Victory asks: In a POD where the Confederate States of America won independence around 1862, with international recognition from Britain and France, and war-wariness from Copperheads and Civilians of the North. In the post war borders, the CSA gains its seceded territories, and Confederate Arizona, and the Indian Territory gains independence, as both sides wasn't willing to give it up in the peace treaty, so they pulled a Uruguay. However, the CSA does not get any of the border-states, including Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, West Virginia (Who gets more territory to protect DC)

1632682870370-png.683032

What if in this scenario, the CSA faces a similar problem to OTL US, where they are facing a meat shortage. Now an alternate Confederate Congressman (Whoever that maybe) proposes Hippos as a good solution to their problem. This Hippo Bill gets passed in the Confederate States Congress and gets the necessary funds to import and breed these hippos, and “Lake cow bacon” is on the menu...

...Or so they thought.

Now with this crazy scenario that massacres all the butterflies, what would be some consequences of Hippos in the CSA? Will “Lake cow bacon” become a staple of Southern Cuisine? Or would they quickly become a problem for the Confederates? And if so, would the Confederates be able to eliminate the invasive hippos?

Presumably that invasive plant species was the 'Water Hyacinth'? From what I've read, Manatees at are actually better than Hippos for controlling it: Despite spending much of their time in the water, Hippos really do most of their feeding ashore.

I haven't experienced anywhere near the depths of Southern cooking, so I wouldn't put it past them (no offense).

Are hippos a problem for their immediate environment, like how pigs tear everything up? Where would they fit into the local food chain?

Are hippos a problem for their immediate environment, like how pigs tear everything up? Where would they fit into the local food chain?
They don't root things up as pigs do, AFAIK, they're primarily grazers... but that makes them potentially very bad news for anybody nearby who's trying to grow maize or other 'grain' cropss.
They're [even] more likely than wild pigs to respond to perceived "threats" -- or just intruders into their territories -- by attacking, though, and not only do they have a very powerful bite (As already noted, they can kill Crocodilians with it despite the latter's armour) but also they're surprisingly fast over short distances. Adults are basically immune to most predators that they're likely to meet, unless a weakened adult meets a powerful Crocodilian, and are large enough that most firearms are unlikely to kill them quickly enough to save their firers. Fortunately it seems that most of them stick to a vegetarian diet, but there are just enough stories floating around about ones that haven't done so to make caution advisable..

IIRC, the Colombian government sent out teams that tranked and sterilized the hippos, and let them live out their remaining years in the wild.
That was after the german killed like 3 or 4, but again those were asked by the local government them move the rest to a less populated area of the Magdalena river.

Going back a bit, If Hippo meat becomes popular in the CSA, I wonder what type of dishes could come out it. Imagine, Alligator Meat and Hippo Meat...or Rough and Tough® :D

Going back a bit, If Hippo meat becomes popular in the CSA, I wonder what type of dishes could come out it. Imagine, Alligator Meat and Hippo Meat...or Rough and Tough® :D
I read it tastes like beef, only leaner and stews well. So kinda like bison?

It would be fun to put this in a world with a continued Confederate Camalry Corps and introduced African Elephants (ivory, hunting, rule of cool).

It would be a fun Confederate TL, which you have to admit, would be highly unusual.

IIRC, the Colombian government sent out teams that tranked and sterilized the hippos, and let them live out their remaining years in the wild.
Only about 25 of the now 130+ hippos have been sterilized and population estimates still puts their numbers at 400+ by the end of the decade and 1500+ by 2034. The expense and fact the locals are making good tourist money off the hippos is also a big barrier to controlling numbers.

I've seen hippo and elephant introduced into the US tls in a speculative evolution forum of all things and basically the environmental impact is quite interesting. Also rhinos in Australia.

Isn't there a reason no African culture ever domisticated the hippo? I don't know but just from the top of my head: the Egyptians revered the hippo for its ferocity... They even had a hippo deity as God of childcare. I guess being called a hippo-mom was a compliment for them just like being called a momma-bear is for us today....

And to make things even more challenging: try to herd an animal that is ten times your size, can shrug off most small gun fire and spends half it's time submerged in a swamp.

Or would they quickly become a problem for the Confederates?
Oh, this will be a huge problem. Hippos are notorious killers of humans.

I can imagine how hippos will constantly kill curious children, random settlers, farmers, etc who accidentally enter their territory.. Most likely, local Minutemen will start shooting hippos, destroying their population.

Isn't there a reason no African culture ever domisticated the hippo? I don't know but just from the top of my head: the Egyptians revered the hippo for its ferocity... They even had a hippo deity as God of childcare. I guess being called a hippo-mom was a compliment for them just like being called a momma-bear is for us today....

And to make things even more challenging: try to herd an animal that is ten times your size, can shrug off most small gun fire and spends half it's time submerged in a swamp.
More people are killed in Africa by hippos annually, than are killed by crocodiles... they're basically like a 2-tonne wild boar, but more irritable :p

More people are killed in Africa by hippos annually, than are killed by crocodiles... they're basically like a 2-tonne wild boar, but more irritable :p
Yeah, Hippos are often considered the most dangerous creature in Africa. And this is the continent with crocodiles, lions, leopard, hyeanas, buffaloes, elephants and rhinos.

Last edited:

Deleted member 90563

Most likely, local Minutemen will start shooting hippos, destroying their population.

Local minutemen with the massive funds necessary to have rifles in custom calibres imported from one of renowned gunsmiths in England, which are the only ACW-era guns with a hope of harming hippos?

Crazy Boris

Banned
Local minutemen with the massive funds necessary to have rifles in custom calibres imported from one of renowned gunsmiths in England, which are the only ACW-era guns with a hope of harming hippos?
There goes the idea of using hippos as a food source. I have a feeling a hunter would give up after unloading every bullet he’s got into one of them and it did nothing but force him to run away from a very angry hippo more times than he’d care to remember.

Unless some absolute psychopath wants to jump on top of a hippo and try to slice some vital arteries and ride it out before it can bite him in half, the only real way southerners ITTL can enjoy hippo meat is by scavenging, which is basically asking for food-borne illnesses.

Of all the animals someone could try and hunt for meat, hippos might be one of the worst options.