WI: NACA Modified P-38

@phx1138 , iirc there was some discussion in the past about why Allison (and many others) placed the carburator on the supercharger inlet instead of downstream. Well, I found a reference to a British paper (a reference I have since lost) which discussed the additional charge cooling effect of doing it this way, something like 25 Degrees C in the tested engine. Yesterday, I also stumbled across this SAE report from 1929 which discusses improved fuel vaporization by injecting into the Supercharger, something which could be rather important given 1930's fuel carburation and injection technologies.
Ths for that (again); you're a positive library of good stuff.:cool::cool:

25 degrees?:eek: I've never heard of a cooling effect from a draw-through system, & that's a really, really big gain. I'd bet some aftercoolers/intercoolers couldn't give back that much. I can only guess how much power gain it means, but it's pretty big, based on (vague) recall.:)

One request: have you got the title of the report? I'm getting a "null page" warning again... (Old computers are a pita...:confounded: The cranks are practically worn out.:openedeyewink:)

@phx1138 , the summary of the report (which admittedly is all I have read because I don't want to pay $28 for the full thing) can be found by searching:
"Effect of a Centrifugal Supercharger on Fuel Vaporization"

Last edited:
Everking,

During the early 'fifties, while at Wright-Patterson AFB, I and two of my associates were involved in AAA Sprint Car racing (Dayton, Ohio, with its high-banked asphalt 1/2-mile speedway was one of the centers of action). At that time 220 cubic inch unsupercharged and 134 CI supercharged engines were permitted. We worked with an older entrant/driver from Gary, on his engine setup, and the results apply directly to this topic. Several older engineers, both AF and civilian, including two paperclipped from Jumo also had input to the project. Note that the fuel was Methanol with its high latent heat of vaporization. Locally, there were two dynamometers available, and we made good use of them after hours.

Originally, the engine setup was a 104 CI Meyer-Drake (Offenhauser midget) with a direct drive Roots blower (one of two from a Masarati 8CLT which had competed extensively at the Indianapolis 500). A pair of Winfield side draft carbs were "Y"d down into the blower inlet . The outlet entered a cast aluminum intercooler (little heat transfer surface, inside or out), then directly to the engine's four intake ports.

Initial runs were to made to determine baseline HP (from memory, about 208 HP) and temperatures at critical points (thanks to borrowed AF thermocouples), then I disconnected the blower from the engine and installed a normally aspirated fuel injection system to determine HP into and air temperature rise across the (suitably restricted) blower. I took a lot of flack during runs when fuel was allowed into the blower, now disconnected from engine induction, to determine its effect on deltaT and power required. After all, the windows were opened even tho it was snowing outside.

To summarize results, the original intercooler setup was essentially useless as the introduction of fuel at the proper flow rate into blower inlet reduced dry blower temperature rise by 175-200 deg (these numbers are from memory) dropping summer temperature delta T (ambient to inlet) to less than 100F. The end result was modification of the four-outlet test fuel injector setup to five, with the fifth (20% of the fuel) dumping into the blower and the others directly into the intake ports as usual for a Hillborn injector installation. The intercooler, now with a doubled delta T could perform some useful heat rejection. With an improved intercooler (an aircraft oil cooler which could not be installed in the car) the engine dynoed at around 270+ HP. The car was now competitive with the 220 engines.

With aircraft centrifugal blowers, gasoline fuels and low ambient temperatures, I would still favor some fuel introduction into the blower to retain efficiency while permitting reduced intercooler size, drag and pressure drop. The bulk of the fuel should be injected at the engine intake ports. No carbs anywhere. The fuel mixture in the induction system would be sub-stoichiometric, so no backfire screens would be needed.

Dynasoar

Last edited:
@Dynasoar , that is an amazing experiment and it perfectly applicable to what I am working on. Allison was already at work developing (with Bendix) a fuel injection system for the V-1710. It was introduced, iirc, c, 1946/7 with the G series engines (famously, the G6R/L used in the OTL P/F-82 used Bendix-Stromberg SD-400D3 speed/density injection). After running into the cooling effect of vaporization in the Supercharger it left me wondering whether the fuel injection system would work on the Turbo-Charged engine with higher boost and perhaps smaller intercoolers. That would be mean I'd either have to re-design the nacelle for larger coolers or add some secondary cooling stage after the Supercharger (which I had originally toyed with in the form of a Water-to-Air aftercooler but I didn't like the installation or added weight). I think, however, it is reasonable that if you and your race team were able to figure out to add additional injection into the S/C in the early 1950's then Allison could also arrive at a similar solution during development of this ATL G-Series Turbo-Compound.

Thank you for sharing that!

Everking,

During the early 'fifties, while at Wright-Patterson AFB, I and two of my associates were involved in AAA Sprint Car racing (Dayton, Ohio, with its high-banked asphalt 1/2-mile speedway was one of the centers of action). At that time 220 cubic inch unsupercharged and 134 CI supercharged engines were permitted. We worked with an older entrant/driver from Gary, on his engine setup, and the results apply directly to this topic. Several older engineers, both AF and civilian, including two paperclipped from Jumo also had input to the project. Note that the fuel was Methanol with its high latent heat of vaporization. Locally, there were two dynamometers available, and we made good use of them after hours.

Originally, the engine setup was a 104 CI Meyer-Drake (Offenhauser midget) with a direct drive Roots blower (one of two from a Masarati 8CLT which had competed extensively at the Indianapolis 500). A pair of Winfield side draft carbs were "Y"d down into the blower inlet . The outlet entered a cast aluminum intercooler (little heat transfer surface, inside or out), then directly to the engine's four intake ports.

Initial runs were to made to determine baseline HP (from memory, about 208 HP) and temperatures at critical points (thanks to borrowed AF thermocouples), then I disconnected the blower from the engine and installed a normally aspirated fuel injection system to determine HP into and air temperature rise across the (suitably restricted) blower. I took a lot of flack during runs when fuel was allowed into the blower, now disconnected from engine induction, to determine its effect on deltaT and power required. After all, the windows were opened even tho it was snowing outside.

To summarize results, the original intercooler setup was essentially useless as the introduction of fuel at the proper flow rate into blower inlet reduced dry blower temperature rise by 175-200 deg (these numbers are from memory) dropping summer temperature delta T (ambient to inlet) to less than 100F. The end result was modification of the four-outlet test fuel injector setup to five, with the fifth (20% of the fuel) dumping into the blower and the others directly into the intake ports as usual for a Hillborn injector installation. The intercooler, now with a doubled delta T could perform some useful heat rejection. With an improved intercooler (an aircraft oil cooler which could not be installed in the car) the engine dynoed at around 270+ HP. The car was now competitive with the 220 engines.

With aircraft centrifugal blowers, gasoline fuels and low ambient temperatures, I would still favor some fuel introduction into the blower to retain efficiency while permitting reduced intercooler size, drag and pressure drop. The bulk of the fuel should be injected at the engine intake ports. No carbs anywhere. The fuel mixture in the induction system would be sub-stoichiometric, so no backfire screens would be needed.

Dynasoar
Thx a lot for that.

It's frankly astonishing to me, but it explains why people used blow-through 6-71s for ever & ever, & suggests the later theory (which is the one I came across), not putting fuel through the blower (for reasons of adding heat to it, IIRC) was plain wrong. (There may've been issues with popping the blower off at high boost, too, though.)

And really, upwards of 70 degF?:eek:
@phx1138 , the summary of the report (which admittedly is all I have read because I don't want to pay $28 for the full thing) can be found by searching:
"Effect of a Centrifugal Supercharger on Fuel Vaporization"
Thx for that, too. I have no intention of paying $28, either.:eek: I figger, if I look a bit, I may be able to find a freebie.:) If not, I'll settle for the summary (if I can find one on a site this antique will actually display correctly:rolleyes:;)).

Edit:

@EverKing: If you Google the title, you can find the paper at Jstor, if you can sign up for it; it claims it's free, & offers 6 papers/mo. (I can't even sign up to test that, sad to say, so I can't confirm it...)

Last edited:
If you Google the title, you can find the paper at Jstor
Yeah, I saw that link. I guess I didn't actually open it to look at it. I hadn't set out to find it or anything like it--instead I stumbled over it when I was trying to find some information on determining required intercooler size and so I figured the abstract was enough for me but I thought of you as soon as I saw it.

I have refined my Turbo-Compound calculation methods by adding in staged boost calculation (Exhaust driven turbocharger and engine driven Supercharger) and including a little algorithm to account for the Turbo Wastegate action since that will determine the exhaust backpressure experienced by the Blowdown turbine and has a direct effect on the Pe/Pm ratio which is the critical number to determine the potential power recover from the turbine. You will see the numbers soon but in summation, with a 2.83 square inch nozzle area over six nozzles with two non-overlapping cylinders per nozzle and after taking into account all other reasonable factors (pumping losses, frictional losses, a 72% efficient turbocharger, 76.5% efficient blowdown system including gearbox losses, 85% efficient supercharger gear box, and so on) at 45,000 feet you can set the engine for Max Cruise on AUTO RICH (0.083 F:A ratio) at 2600 RPM, still hold 39 in.Hg. MAP, the engine produces 815 bhp (the supercharger draws 99 shp but this is already factored in) the recovery turbine (with a Pe/Pm of 0.4 and mean effective exhaust jet velocity 2200 fps) returns 205 shp. Assuming an 85% efficient propeller, that puts our NTHP at 867 hp for a 25% increase over the same conditions without the Blowdown (693 hp) and a reduction in net thrust specific fuel consumption of 20%. This is the the "Best case scenario" and specific to the those exact settings and altitude.

I think I have it ironed out enough now to build the full engine power charts similar to those I built for TTL F32 engines used in the J/K series. Of course, I won't build the complete tables for the final production engine until after I make more adjustments to the base engine numbers as I am currently using the power calculation for the F32 which will be a little different than the eventual G-Series due to other changes in addition to the Turbo-Compound system.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that link. I guess I didn't actually open it to look at it. I hadn't set out to find it or anything like it--instead I stumbled over it when I was trying to find some information on determining required intercooler size and so I figured the abstract was enough for me but I thought of you as soon as I saw it.
I should've guessed you'd noticed it already.:oops: I tell you what: since this is one of those times I just can't get the browser to even load the page, I'm just going to follow your research & copy every bit of it.:openedeyewink: (And candidly, it won't be the first time.;) I've already figured out you're more likely to get it right than I am.:oops:)
2.83 square inch nozzle area
Where are you taking that from? (Or am I being denser than usual?)
a 72% efficient turbocharger, 76.5% efficient blowdown system including gearbox losses, 85% efficient supercharger gear box
Those sound pretty high, to me, maybe too high--but that's just a gut reaction, no basis in fact. If you're satisfied they're in range, I'll withdraw it.

Either way, performance is sounding impressive.:cool:

I've already figured out you're more likely to get it right than I am.
Nonsense. I'm wrong as often as I'm right and will usually admit it freely. I just tend to withhold fact-based statements until I have some confidence in the data first :)

Where are you taking that from? (Or am I being denser than usual?)
(1) NACA Technical Note No.765 (1942) - "EXHAUST STACK NOZZLE AREA AND SHAPE FOR INDIVIDUAL CYLINDER EXHAUST-GAS JET-PROPULSION SYSTEM" which was the basis of the Blowdown nozzle design referenced in OTL (2) NACA Report No.786 (1944) "Performance of Blowdown Turbine Driven by Exhaust Gas of Nine-Cylinder Radial Engine" and all the other background investigations into Turbo-Compound development.

Using the Pe/Pm:vdn/A (Exhaust Pressure/Manifold Pressure ratio : Displacement Volume in cu.ft. times Revolutions per second/Nozzle Area in sq.ft.) correlation from Fig.22 of Ref.1 for an 'S-Shaped' stack and targeting a Pe/Pm of 0.7, the corresponding vdn/A which would produce no engine power loss due to additional back-pressure is 210 ft/sec. Using that, and rearranging the vdn/A equation to solve for A we get a total nozzle area of just under 0.24 sq.ft., which solves to 2.83 sq.in. per cylinder. Since two cylinders can share a single nozzle the actual nozzle area is then 16.96 sq.in. which is the basis from which we can solve for the size of the turbine required depending on the actual nozzle dimensions (it is pretty small, actually, even if each nozzle is 1/2" x 5.65" with some space between the six, we end up with a rotor circumference of about 36" for a rotor diameter of less than 11.5", slightly larger than the engine driven supercharger rotor of the standard F-Series V-1710--with some adjustments to nozzle design there is no reason you couldn't make them the same size for ease of packaging).

Those sound pretty high, to me, maybe too high--but that's just a gut reaction, no basis in fact. If you're satisfied they're in range, I'll withdraw it.
The historical documents use 75% turbocharger efficiency and 85% S/C gearbox efficiency for their calculations on the V-1710. The Blowdown efficiency is based on the 90% shown in the 1944 reference reduced by 85% for the gearbox. Although, reading it again, it looks like they measured net mean blowdown efficiency (including all loses but it is unclear if this includes the gearbox) of 86% with an expected practical efficiency of about 80%. Regardless, my 72% for the turbocharger was based on expected turbo performance from an earlier reference and my computed blowdown of 76.5% is actually lower than the efficiency quoted in the reference, although I may drop that 90% to 80% on the assumption that the net total quoted in Ref.2 did not include the gearbox. That brings the net total for the blowdown and transmission to 68%.

Poor Captain Hilgert. He's been struggling to get home for two weeks. Even with just one engine turning over that plane must be running on fumes. :)

Poor Captain Hilgert. He's been struggling to get home for two weeks. Even with just one engine turning over that plane must be running on fumes. :)
Lol. I honestly never intended to write a completetion to that tale. His fate is in Schrödinger's Box and it will have to stay there until we circle around to them again. Next installment is a tech update on Allison's Turbo-Compound. It is pending time to work on it. I am out on vacation right now so am not writing...or doing any maths.

An update on the next chapter--the tl:dr version is that the chapter is still in the works but will not be posted until I am satisfied with the initial test numbers. The explanation follows...

I'm still working out the kinks with my V-1710 turbo compound test numbers. Every time I think I have it I run into another error. First it was with the wastegate (I didn't have it set up to be variable, only full open or full closed). That was an easy correction but then I realized the engine power and fuel consumption tables I was using were limiting me since I was using VLOOKUP on summary data charts instead of calculating it out for the specific running conditions. Once I fixed that I realized that I had a problem with the Turbo output when under throttled power (MAP less than the minimum boost offered by the Supercharger/Turbo combination) causing unrealistically low Exhaust Pressure and therefore unrealistically high power output form the Blowdown turbine. This required me to completely re-map the way the turbo works in my math including reconstructing the entirety of the Turbo and Supercharger boost and efficiency curves (once nice side effect of this is that it allows dynamic turbo efficiency instead of using a static value). Then it was issues with balancing Critical Altitudes which require additional tweaking of the compressor curves by trial and error. Now, I discovered that since I was rounding the Pe/Pm ratio to the nearest tenth I am getting a huge jump of power from the Blowdown turbine between ratio steps, especially at high altitude when transitioning from 0.3 to 0.2. To fix this I am generating polynomial equations to dynamically solve the constant values of the polynomial equation used to calculate the Mean Effective Exhaust Velocity through the Blowdown by Pe/Pm.

All of the numbers I am using right now are using the P-38J/K engine just to get a representation of the Turbo-Compound development process and performance. Allison is also working on an improved base engine for the T-C system, the G Series, which will be covered in more detail as we go forward.

I just tend to withhold fact-based statements until I have some confidence in the data first :)
So that's your secret. I'll have to try that.;)
(1) NACA Technical Note No.765 (1942) - "EXHAUST STACK NOZZLE AREA AND SHAPE FOR INDIVIDUAL CYLINDER EXHAUST-GAS JET-PROPULSION SYSTEM" which was the basis of the Blowdown nozzle design referenced in OTL (2) NACA Report No.786 (1944) "Performance of Blowdown Turbine Driven by Exhaust Gas of Nine-Cylinder Radial Engine" and all the other background investigations into Turbo-Compound development.
Thx. That, plus the formula, mean I can play with turbo designs for those Marmon-engined PT boats I've been dreaming about.;)
The historical documents use 75% turbocharger efficiency and 85% S/C gearbox efficiency for their calculations on the V-1710. The Blowdown efficiency is based on the 90% shown in the 1944 reference reduced by 85% for the gearbox. Although, reading it again, it looks like they measured net mean blowdown efficiency (including all loses but it is unclear if this includes the gearbox) of 86% with an expected practical efficiency of about 80%. Regardless, my 72% for the turbocharger was based on expected turbo performance from an earlier reference and my computed blowdown of 76.5% is actually lower than the efficiency quoted in the reference, although I may drop that 90% to 80% on the assumption that the net total quoted in Ref.2 did not include the gearbox. That brings the net total for the blowdown and transmission to 68%.
I confess being amazed. I'd never have believed it'd be so high.
I'm not sure if that's a testament to Lindberg's fuel efficiency lessons or to network TV's conditioning of us to accept cliffhangers before commercials.:openedeyewink:

I confess being amazed. I'd never have believed it'd be so high.
I think what they actually meant was MAX turbine efficiency. Based on that assumption, I built my efficiency curves with the listed maximums and some tweaking. This places the actual efficiency for a given operating condition (usually) somewhat below those numbers. This works well for my purposes as I am going to present the output numbers as "measured" rather than calculated in the narrative. So, at SL pressure with the engine at 1600 RPM and only 30"Hg MAP (essentially Atmospheric pressure) the Turbocharger is basically idling with only about a 30% compression efficiency and the Blowdown is showing me about 50% efficiency in power recovery. Conversely, at 23000 feet, 3200 RPM, and 60"Hg MAP, the turbo is running about 72% efficiency and the Blowdown at 73%.

Last edited:
I think what they actually meant was MAX turbine efficiency. Based on that assumption, I built my efficiency curves with the listed maximums and some tweaking. This places the actual efficiency for a given operating condition (usually) somewhat below those numbers. This works well for my purposes as I am going to present the output numbers as "measured" rather than calculated in the narrative. So, at SL pressure with the engine at 1600 RPM and only 30"Hg MAP (essentially Atmospheric pressure) the Turbocharger is basically idling with only about a 30% compression efficiency and the Blowdown is showing me about 50% efficiency in power recovery. Conversely, at 23000 feet, 3200 RPM, and 60"Hg MAP, the turbo is running about 72% efficiency and the Blowdown at 73%.
I've been presuming max efficiency, or efficiency at max output. It really doesn't matter what it does as you bump it into the lights, it matters what it does when the yellows go out (so to speak). And if the efficiency was that high somewhere except max output, I'd be calling fraud.

It crosses my mind they may also be taking each item individually, where I'm looking at the whole system "end to end": the turbine alone might well be 80+% efficient, but from inlet to intake manifold, it can't be.

I'll throw the switch to let the train get back on track, now.:)

@EverKing Have a look at tomo pauk's post in the minimum fighter's thread. About air-cooled hollow bladed turbines for turbochargers. My reply suggested using the same alloys as used in OTL turbines but built with hollow blades to allow air-cooling. I think those type of turbines would be ideal for a compound or blowdown type engine installation. Their improved resiliency would improve the efficiency and strength which may possibly allow higher limiting RPMs. No exhaust energy needs to go out the wastegate.

Last edited:
air-cooled hollow bladed turbines for turbochargers. ...No exhaust energy needs to go out the wastegate.
Unless there's a pressure or rev limiter, don't you run a risk of blowing the heads right off with overboost?

That said, hollow blades do have a benefit in responsiveness; they should spin up to full boost quicker. (Actually, spin up to any boost at all.) I'm less sure that matters in a fighter, where the throttle, in action, will be at or near WOT all the time, & where, in cruise, it won't be moving a lot.

I finally have the math done! Narrative in now being adjusted to explain the development and tests and review some of the key points. Below is a preview of the "Test Engine" (more details on the setup will be included in the narrative).

KEY
  • ALT : Altitude
  • MAP : Manifold Absolute Pressure [in.Hg]
  • BHP : Brake Horsepower after losses (friction, pumping, Auxiliaries, Supercharger, etc.) and adjusted for altitude [HP]
  • THP : Thrust Horsepower, assuming Propeller efficiency of 0.85 [HP]
  • BSFC : Brake Specific Fuel Consumption [lbs/hp-hr]
  • NTSFC : Net Thrust Specific Fuel Consumption [lbs/hp-hr]
  • I(tc) : Brake Horsepower of Blowdown Power Recovery turbine [HP]
  • NI(tc) : Net Horsepower of Blowdown Power Recovery turbine, assuming a Gearbox efficiency of 0.85 [HP]
  • NBHP : Net Brake Horsepower of entire system [HP]
  • NTHP : Net Thrust Horsepower of entire system, assuming Propeller efficiency of 0.85 [HP]
  • ∆NTHP : Change in Net Thrust Horsepower
  • NTSPC : Net Thrust Specific Fuel Consumption of entire system [lbs/hp-hr]
  • ∆NTSPC : Change in Net Thrust Specific Fuel Consumption
  • W/G Open : Percent the Turbo-Supercharger Waste-Gate is open to maintain MAP
  • [RPM] : Turbo-Supercharger impeller RPM
  • FAR : Engine Fuel-Air Ratio +/- 0.001
  • GPH : Total Gallons per Hour fuel Consumption
upload_2018-10-17_16-43-49.png

marathag

Banned
I finally have the math done! Narrative in now being adjusted to explain the development and tests and review some of the key points. Below is a preview of the "Test Engine" (more details on the setup will be included in the narrative).

[/QUOTE]

So, multiple PRTs like on the Wasp Majors, or one big PRT?

awesome performance at 45k

Last edited:
A single PRT, as per the OTL Allison and NACA tests. I was going to do two smaller turbines but it didn't seem worth the added complexity.

Re: FL 450 performance, the number here--as explained in the narrative--are extrapolated based on SL performance, the engine power curves for the TTL F32 engine (with some refinements), and using some simple assumption. The actual "test" numbers will be different (i.e. slightly lower) due to dynamic efficiencies in flight. Although Critical Altitude in flight will increase slightly due to the ram effect.

Ch.37 - Compound Magic (6 Sep 1944)
6 September 1944
Allison Engine Company
Indianapolis, Indian, USA

The bosses at Allison had kept Tom Kaczmarczyk busy over the past few months. His recommendation to build a Turbo-Compound version of the V-1710 for the Convair XP-81 had landed on the right ears and the Government had awarded Allison a development contract for just such an engine. While several of the most talented and brightest engineers were working with G-E on the I-40 Jet Turbine engine for the new Lockheed P-80; Tom was given a rag-tag team of the “leftover” engineers.

In truth, he could not have picked a better group.

The men working with him on the Turbo-Compound project were some of the most experienced engine designers at Allison. They were the men who first laid the V-1710 down on paper a decade earlier and prior to that had worked to improve the old Liberty engine. Some of these men were with James Allison from the beginning, working on “hot-rodding” cars for racing and pleasure. They were passed over on the Jet teams because of their lack of knowledge on the new Gas Turbine systems, but their ability to tweak, adjust, and improve the piston engine was unparalleled.

With full War Department backing, the Allison team was joined by a few NACA scientists who had worked on the Turbo-Compound concept the previous year. Chief among these was Leland Desmon, who was co-authoring the final NACA report on the findings of their investigation with Dick Turner. Dick Turner was the engineer who had developed the methods already being used to design proper exhaust stacks to produce the greatest benefit of exhaust thrust with minimal backpressure.

Taken together, the combination of those men at the forefront of exhaust turbine systems and some of the best piston engine builders in the country left Tom with a project team that had the exact set of skills and experience needed to make the Turbo-Compound V-1710 happen.

Work had started almost immediately after Tom made the proposal. The first phase of development was to get as much technical data from NACA as they could at the time and use that little bit of information to build a proof-of-concept engine prototype. For this, they had grabbed a surplus E-Series engine and cobbled together a power-recovery turbine by scavenging the exhaust turbine from a G-E C-Series turbo-supercharger. They combined all of the exhaust using standard P-38 exhaust collectors and fed the turbine through its standard single torus-type nozzle box.

Those first tests were limited and plagued with failures due to the rough nature of the construction but on the few full runs they were able to record they proved a gain of as much as 10% Horsepower in the engine system.

After the official acceptance of the R&D Proposal came down, work began in earnest on a production level prototype and NACA became officially involved in a development partnership.

Mr. Desmond had worked out, based on the available F32R engine data at 3000 RPM, that the most efficient use of exhaust blowdown power would be to use six, two-to-one exhaust pipes, each terminating in a 2.83 square inch nozzle. The arrangement of the pipes were such that only cylinders in a single bank with non-overlapping exhaust cycles would share a nozzle. They had tried finding an arrangement that would allow the impulses to “cross” the turbine wheel from each bank to better balance the forces on it but any such arrangement would result in overly complicated exhaust layouts. Instead they settled on a “mirrored” exhaust setup which—while not perfectly balancing the forces on the turbine—served to simplify the layout and allow adjustment in pipe length to improve the impulse timing. This arrangement provided impulse to the turbine, given the standard V-1710 firing order (1L-2R-5L-4R-3L-1R-6L-5R-2L-3R-4L-6R), at 30°-270°-90°-210°-150°-330°-30°-270°-90°-210°-150°-330°.

Exhaust-Impulse-Timing.png

The total nozzle area with this arrangement was about 17 square inches but because two cylinders each share a single nozzle the effective area was nearly 34 square inches. The area was calculated to be sufficient to nullify any additional exhaust back-pressure at the engine due to restriction at the jet nozzle at all Exhaust Pressure to Manifold Pressure ratios down to 0.7. At lower pressure ratios—when at high altitude or when running a Manifold Absolute Pressure above 48”Hg. at Sea Level—the restriction should be minimal and have only a small impact on the engine Brake Horsepower due to additional pumping losses.

This is where Leland’s insight from his work with NACA really made a difference.

“We honestly don’t need to consider any additional effects of back pressure for the engine system beyond that imposed by the jet stacks themselves,” he explained. “The F32 engine was designed to exhaust to a collector to stabilize the pressure for the Turbo-Supercharger, which means the engine power data already factors in the pumping losses from the increase of back-pressure at the given manifold pressures and altitudes.”

This prompted Tom to ask the obvious follow-on question, “But won’t the Blowdown turbine create additional backpressure on the engine?”

“No,” Leland continued, “the exhaust pressure critical to the engine is the net total pressure of the system at the turbine exit. If we continue to feed a turbo after the Blowdown turbine, then the turbo waste-gate will manage the pressure in the system as normal. All we need to do is collect the exhaust pulses after their work in the blowdown turbine to a collector ring and feed that right back into the standard turbo.”

“Oh-kay, but doesn’t the blowdown turbine then reduce the pressure available to the turbo?”

“In theory, it shouldn’t. Dick Turner, Ron Doyle, and I talked about it after our work on the R-1340. Since the blowdown turbine relies on an impulse jet and the exhaust turbine of a Turbo-Supercharger is a steady-flow system, we think that so long as the exhaust pressure at the blowdown outlet remains sufficient to maintain steady system pressure to the turbo, there should be zero loss.”

“And you’re supposing the turbo waste-gate will ensure that happens in fact.”

“Correct.”

To build the turbine they once again used the wheel and bearings from a C-Series Turbo-Supercharger, this time they were able to get a new C-23 exhaust turbine wheel directly from G-E which had a re-rated speed limit. They disassembled the torus nozzle box and removed the upper case of the housing. In its place they built new upper with the six nozzles integrated directly into it and reconfigured the oil supply to properly accommodate the new design. Within each nozzle was a series of vanes to deflect the incoming exhaust jets to the appropriate angle to achieve optimum impact on the turbine blades.

Since the C-Series exhaust turbine was already designed for toroidal gas flow, the modifications to the turbine itself were minimal. Over a series of “dry” tests, using compressed air to test the new nozzle box and blade-to-jet angle, they were forced to make small adjustments to the turbine blade design. Leland indicated that they would probably want to contract G-E or another turbine developer with building a new turbine specifically for their use, but that this arrangement should be sufficient for the initial development.

With the modified turbine and new nozzle boxes complete the next step was to fabricate a custom turbine exhaust manifold which would exit directly to a collector ring. The collector ring was built to match the 29 inch diameter turbine housing and was fed from a one-to-three split-pipe from the inside of the ring. The inner pipe diameter of the ring decreased slightly toward the exit until it was the same as the standard P-38 exhaust pipe.

For complete tests, they ran this pipe directly to the B-33 Turbo-Supercharger used with the F32 engine. In this way, they would have a complete system for thorough testing which would include both exhaust recovery stages—the new blowdown turbine and the existing turbo—as well as both induction compressors—the turbo and the engine driven supercharger.

The tests were carried out on the bench with the engine propeller shaft connected to a 2500 horsepower brake originally built when they were developing the F29/F32 engine. Since the blowdown turbine speed was dependent on the mean exhaust jet velocity and temperature, rather than on engine speed, they could not directly gear it directly to the engine. Instead they would need to build a custom gearbox utilizing a fluid coupling for power transportation but the design parameters of such a gearbox would be dependent on the speed and power differential between the turbine and engine crank. For the bench tests they instead connected the output shaft of the turbine to a 750 horsepower brake for direct measurement of the power recovery.

Induction, engine, and oil cooling were handled using standard P-38 radiators in a remote setup with high speed fans blowing across them to achieve the required airflow. They discussed testing under fully manual control but decided instead to use a P-38J Unit Engine Control system so they can make direct comparisons and estimations based on well-known performance characteristics at each setting.

The PT-13E9 carburetor was replaced with the PT-13E12, re-configured to use the newly available 115/145 octane fuel which allowed slightly leaner fuel-air-ratios. In all other ways the core of power unit was an unmodified F32R (V-1710-123).

For the past two months now they have been running the engine is a series of tests. The time was full of starts and stops initially as they worked out the kinks with the new turbine and adjusted the fuel and water-methanol Anti-Detonation Injection metering.

Although NACA’s estimation of exhaust pressure control was largely borne out, since the system was designed to always allow some flow into the turbo even with the waste-gate fully open, the minimum exhaust pressure at the blowdown turbine exit they were able to achieve was 33.2”Hg. When running at 1600 RPM and throttled down to 28”Hg. MAP this produced a pressure coefficient on the blowdown turbine of 1.2 and limited the power to a theoretical maximum of only 16.6 HP. Still, this was a free gain in the entire system and no additional pumping losses were observed at the low boost settings.

As they increased the pressure differential, however, they soon ran into a few limitations of the turbine, specifically design over-speeds at maximum settings and—more critically—high temperatures due to the direct impingement of the exhaust jets on the blades when running an Maximum LEAN.

These tests also uncovered an unexpected level of pumping horsepower loss at high boost, RICH fuel settings. Examination of the data revealed that the 2.83” nozzles were too small for 3200 RPM operation when pushing high exhaust masses, causing an initial restriction to the gas flow prior to entry to the blowdown turbine. Leland recalculated the design size and after some discussion they landed on 3.01 square inch nozzle size as a sufficient balance between increase jet velocity and minimal pressure loading. The result was that the net nozzle-box area was increased to 18.1 square inches with an effective area of 36.2 square inches. This had the additional benefit of permitting a slight increase in the turbine diameter to 12 3/16”, thereby reducing the blade-tip speed and RPM—although it was still insufficient to bring it below the design speed of the C-23 turbine wheel it did allow high power operation within the turbine over-speed limits for short periods.

With the re-built blowdown turbine, they continued the tests. A series of successful runs were completed at progressive engine power settings available through the UEC. They were unable to run all the way up to the theoretical MAP limit of 100”Hg. with the 145 octane fuel and ADI due to mass flow restrictions in the carburetor. At their tested atmospheric pressure of 29.17”Hg the best they were able to achieve before hitting the mass restriction was 78.8”Hg MAP. A few quick “back of the napkin” calculations and they determined that to achieve 100”Hg at Sea Level the Carburetor would need to be able to flow nearly 18,500 pounds per hour, 3,500 over the design limits of the PT-13E12.

Even so, the maximum power they hit on the bench at 3200 RPM running up to 78.8”Hg. MAP under War Emergency Power settings using ADI was 2,284.1 Horsepower on the engine brake and another 567.1 horsepower on the blowdown turbine brake. After assuming a constant propeller efficiency of 0.85—admittedly high but an easy number to work with for these tests—they calculated an Engine Thrust Horsepower of 1941.5. Adding in the Net Turbine Horsepower, less an assumed 0.85 gear-box efficiency, and then once more adjusting for a standardized propeller efficiency, the end result was 2,351.3 Net Thrust Horsepower with the Power Recovery Turbine in place. This represented a 21% improvement in usable power at the tested altitude pressure.

Similar tests were performed at each significant UEC setting and the entire system performance calculated with the same assumptions. Power gains ranged from 4% at 1600 RPM, 28”Hg. MAP, and a fuel-air ratio of 0.063, through 12% at Rated Power of 2600 RPM, 42.5”Hg. MAP, with a near Stoichiometric FAR of 0.069, and on to the high of 21%.

The power gains were impressive but just as important for the design requirements of the intended aircraft role of Very Long Range Escort was the reduction in Net Thrust Specific Fuel Consumption. These ranged from 4% at the low end on up to about 17% at the high end, with a calculated gain of about 8% at Maximum Cruise.

Tom knew the numbers were for “ideal” conditions and that the practical performance would likely be reduced due to the dynamic nature of the physics involved and lower than expected efficiencies but they were still sufficiently in line with the available NACA data for him to sign off of the final report to his R&D bosses for full dissemination to the affected parties.

With the static altitude tests complete, the Turbine Group started working out the formulas needed to properly predict the system performance under varying conditions and altitudes. Without full lift/drag and weight information for the airplane, they had to settle for base-line numbers assuming no Ram effect. Also, without the full propeller performance curves they stuck with the 0.85 maximum efficiency they assumed on static tests.

In the end, they were able to use the available test data to provide three performance charts: one representative of their bench tests; and one each showing the Performance at Altitude up to 45,000 feet under Normal Rated Power and the calculated Maximum Lean Cruise.

Power Runs, 29.17”Hg. Atmospheric pressure
PowerFL007.PNG

PaA-NRP.PNG

PaA-MaxCruise.PNG

When they looked deeper into the data another interesting possibly became apparent. At all of the tested power settings the blowdown turbine, before assumed gearbox losses, output more power than the engine driven supercharger required. This could allow them to decouple the supercharger from the engine and power it from the blowdown output. This would allow them to reduce the load on the engine by the amount used by the supercharger plus the amount lost through the supercharger gearbox. Assuming they could find a way to continue to route any excess power from the turbine to the engine they calculated a net gain of 1%-4% in available brake horsepower.

Supercharger.PNG

The Engine Group of the project team were meanwhile finding ways to massage more power and efficiency from the core power unit in what was already internally referred to as the V-1710-G.

Their first task, based on the input from the Turbine Group, was to increase the Mass Air Flow of the induction system and improve the fuel metering to match. They had considered going to one of the new four-barrel Bendix-Stromberg pressure carburetors but Bendix came back with a memorandum announcing to Allison their intent to develop new Speed-Density Fuel-Injection systems.

Moving forward with the assumption that they would use a newly developed Fuel-Injection system built specifically for the requirements of the G-Series engine they were now focusing on 4 main tasks:
  1. Integrate the Unit Engine Control directly onto the engine
  2. Develop ideal power settings for the engine
  3. Build specific engine exhaust parameters for more precise calculation of the exhaust nozzles
  4. Investigate removal of the engine-driven Supercharger and replacement with a blowdown driven supercharger
Together, the entire group were also exploring ways of improving the cooling for the turbines and the induction charge. Convair had set specific drag area and packaging benchmarks that Tom’s team at Allison were hard pressed to meet at the current stage of development.

There was a lot work ahead of them, possibly even several years, but Tom felt they had a good start and already they had drawn up an initial installation package for modification of an F-32 with the added blowdown turbine.

XP-81_EngineInstallation.png