WI: The 4th Crusade was actually a Crusade?

I wanted to build a timeline with as recent a POD as possible that achieved three objectives:

1) Roman Empire still exists in 1400 AD as a regional power at least, potential great power.

2) Roman Empire more integrated culturally and socially with Western Christendom without losing identity as an Orthodox state. "Renaissance" is a result of cultural interaction between Rome and Italian states rather than Italian states reaping the benefits of fleeing Roman scholars and texts.

3) Something left of the Crusader states in the Levant.

4) Did not have a major impact outside the Balkans/Anatolia/Levant until the 15th century, which precludes PODs like Heraclius living another ten years and kicking the Arabs in the teeth so hard they are never heard from again.

For there to be a major change culturally, there would have to be a major shock to the system, but no so bad as to be unrecoverable, like the sack of the City.

What I decided was "What if the 4th Crusade turned left at Albequerqe at the last minute."

The POD boils down to this: The 4th Crusade is camped outside the walls of Constantinople getting ready to attack again, and a disease sweeps through the camp, killing Enrique Dandolo and Boniface of Montferrat. In the confusion, the Papal letters excommunicating the Crusaders for attacking fellow Christians are published to the Army. At the same time, a monk arrives in camp, preaching that disease is God's punishment for attacking fellow Christians. The army immediately decamps, and heads for the nearest heathens available. Meanwhile Theodore Lascaris holds a coup which sweeps away the whole mess of Angeloi and establishes himself as Emperor. The Crusaders, followed by the Romans, actually head into Anatolia and straight for Iconium, where they topple the Seljuk sultans thereof, kicking over a pack of minor emirates along the way. The result is that the heartland of Anatolia returns to Roman control. I know it's pretty unlikely, but it's the only way I can figure out how to make this work out.

I'm presuming that cleaning up the Turks and confronting the Mongols absorbed a lot of energy, so Balkan history looks pretty similiar until after Stephan Dushan dies, with the exception that there is no Despotate of Epiros, of course. The Bulgarians and southern Serbians get conquered by the Empire on about the same timeline that they got conquered by the Ottomans, just because that saves me a lot of work in figuring out the course of various wars. There is no battle of Kosovo, but "Serbia" starts getting knocked off because after Stephan V dies and the Serbs dissolve into petty warring principalities, the Empire decides not to tolerate the chaos on their border. Prince Lazar's territory and the Kingdom of Bosnia are left alone -- and in fact, supported as buffer states. Just for kicks, I also wrote in the Empire taking advantage of the Sicilian Vespers revolt and Sicily returning to the Empire (Instead of Sicily, Aragons end up with Corsica and Sardinia earlier than in OTL).

I'm presuming that while Wallachia is definitely heavily influenced by the Empire, and Moldavia less so, the Empire has no desire to attempt to annex these areas nor to directly confront Hungary, it being a territory never part of the Empire and full of Catholics.

On the religious theme, I presume that without desperation driving it, the Uniate question never comes up. No incentive. Latin priests are permitted to erect churches in the Empire's major trading ports, but the appointment of bishops is not permitted. I'm wondering how Hungary would be likely to interact with an Empire which had no desire to conquer it at all. Then what butterflies would be kicked up to the north and east of Hungary?

John Kantakouzenos never claims the throne in his own right because he reacts more forcefully against his opponents in the capital. In July 1341, Alexios Apokaukos is killed resisting arrest after the failure of his coup, Anna of Savoy is kicked out of the city (earlier than historically happened), and the Patriarch John XIV is deposed in 1342. John Kantakouzenos is not playing. However, in 1354, he retires on schedule to a monastary in favor of John Palaiologos and takes up writing. Since in this TL, he is not associated with any Uniate efforts, and he doesn't fight a 7 year civil war, he is venerated as St. Ioasaph.

I also dropped a civil war in the late 1320s, using a 'Andronikos II retires to a monastary' gimmick.

The East looks totally different. Roman armies save the Kingdom of Jerusalem's holdings along the coast (though not Jerusalem itself) from the Mamlukes in 1265. In 1266 the Mamluke attack on the Principality of Antioch is stopped as well, but at the price of Antioch being returned to the Empire, and the County of Tripoli becoming a vassal state. The offering of the crown of the Great House of Armenia to Guy Lusignan just doesn't happen -- instead it is offered to John Kantakouzenos, who ends up negotiating a personal union between the Empire and the "Kingdom of Armenia". Cilician Armenia is ruled by a Despot, who is appointed by and takes orders from Constantinople.

I need to work out how interaction with Trebizond works out - remembering that the "Empire" was proclaimed BEFORE the capital was sacked, so it may have happened in this TL. I may decide that it didn't, and Trebizond is just another city, though a wealthy one with trade from the East coming in. The Kingdom of Georgia is getting torn up by Timur in 1400, and he's preparing to invade the Empire at this point. I'm also unsure how I should handle the Crimea.

The demographics are kind of sketchy, but I made some assumptions:
1) Foreign troops are settled, given land grants, and encouraged to marry local women and convert to Orthodoxy. It's a good gig for many, from the 4th Crusade and continuing. This is a more long-term method than hiring mercenaries. Even if the first generation does not become Orthodox, as long as the Empire holds the line against permitting Latin bishops to appointed for cities in the Empire, the next generation will.
2) A deliberate effort is made to convert, assimilate, and settle Turks. As well, incentives to include land ownership are offered to people willing to repopulate Anatolia. The choice is deliberate to encourage small-holders rather than granting vast estates to dyantoi.

There's some handwaving involved, but no matter how much handwaving I do, Anatolia is going to be pretty lightly populated except along the coastline, I think.

A native army is recreated, including western-style heavy cavalry, lamellar-armored lanchers in the traditional style, and horse archers, both armored dual-role medium horse and unarmored.light horse. Native heavy infantry corps is recreated, including a small professional element. Also, a fleet is recreated, and an artillery corps as well. Not sure how well this is going to do against Timur, but I'm having a hard time getting a clear picture of Timur's army, from a tactical and technical standpoint (anyone with useful info, please share!). I know it's big and it has elephants, That's not real useful information. What would really make my day would be someone with information on the logistical aspects of that army. It's big, mounted, and seems to move all over the place pretty fast. What the hell are they eating? What about fodder? Especially for elephants? They have cannon, how do they move them? I am assuming that in the Imperial Army during the late 14th century, there is a move away from shielded spearmen to pikemen, though with the better units (and thefront ranks of the middling grade units) retaining mail or lamellar armor. This begins in the western portions of the Empire, and is only slowly being introduced in the East, where fewer shock and more missle troops are the threat.

Osman was a Roman general. The Osmanoi are a Hellenized, Christianized land-owning aristocrat family in central Anatolia. Economic policy is much more sensible, no whoring out to the Italian city-states. Although there is an alliance with Genoa, Genoese merchants still pay taxes. Western fashions are popular in cities, and denounced at the pulpit. Michael VIII instituted a Roman order of knighthood in order to distinguish Roman soldiers and Westerners as well (also, becase I happen to think knights are cool). Roman icons are popular in Italy, while Roman aristocrats hang Italian (and Italian-style Roman) paintings in their houses. The Church is horrified by new artistic styles, and has so far kept them out of churches. The bronze horses are still at the Hippodrome, where jousts are routinely held. There is no Turkish state, and the Turks are themselves assimilating into the Empire in the same way the Cumans did.

Major question mark: Slavery. I can't really find much information on slave trade in Roman Empire post 13th century. I know the Italian city-states were heavily involved in trade from the Crimean peninsula into the Med. Not sure how this is going to play if the Roman Empire can do something about it -- because I'm fairly certain that if the Empire is confronting the Mamlukes, they are going to want to shut that down. For that matter, if the Empire is still a customer for slaves or not? I really can't find anything useful. Then, if the Empire does turn down the supply of slaves from the Steppe to Egypt, how does this impact the Mamlukes, and how quickly?

As a side note, I also assumed that an Empire which was stable and economically viable is going to stay away from the currency devaluation that happened historically. Which means the hyperpyron would be returned to a good standard of purity and kept full weight. How is this going to impact the monetary policy of the Italian states? Are they going to end up making the ducat or florin a 4.54 gram coin rather than the 3.5 gram?

Presuming that the Crusader states remain in existence, we have another issue, to wit the Templars. I'm presuming that the events leading up to their demise are not altered, but they are a critical element of the army of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.and Cyprus. I'm tentatively planning for their Middle Eastern priories to be absorbed into the Order of the Holy Sepulcher, which becomes very Templar-like. . .

OK, I know it could be considered Byzantine kinda-wank. I really don't care -- what I'm trying to figure out is how can I make it happen with a minimum of hand-waving, and what the impact would be if it DID happen. I've got a timeline worked out from 1204 to 1400, I'm going to refine it based on discussion of above points and then post it in all of its splendid pedantic detail.

Eh, that's actually pretty well done. It's reasonably plausible, and I like the idea of the Greco-Frankish cultural fusion. Furthermore, this board is pretty lenient when it comes to Byzantinewanks. One of the most popular TLs on the board, Isaac's Empire, has a steam-powered Byzantine Empire taking over pretty much all of the Mediterranean by 1400.

One effect, at least in the short term, is that the Venetians as well as not gaining the influence they did after 1204, will decline in power for a few decades compared to Genoa and Pisa due to being branded 'obfrusticators of God's Will'. More competition, as well as a more level playing field, should make the balance in Italy and the Med rather interesting.

I expect this also means that the 5th Crusade is radically different, definately won't go to Egypt. Perhaps a rough repeat of the 3rd? Although Jerusalem itself may be captured in the short term. We can expect Frederick II's 'Sixth Crusade' to be either an a part of the Fifth, or immediately afterwards, and as OTL sees at the very least return by treaty of Jerusalem, though if the Fifth has expanded the Kingdom of Jerusalem by any great amount he may get more.

In short, I think the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Byzantine Empire may be in a position to capatalise on the divisions created by the Mongols.

One effect, at least in the short term, is that the Venetians as well as not gaining the influence they did after 1204, will decline in power for a few decades compared to Genoa and Pisa due to being branded 'obfrusticators of God's Will'. More competition, as well as a more level playing field, should make the balance in Italy and the Med rather interesting.

I expect this also means that the 5th Crusade is radically different, definately won't go to Egypt. Perhaps a rough repeat of the 3rd? Although Jerusalem itself may be captured in the short term. We can expect Frederick II's 'Sixth Crusade' to be either an a part of the Fifth, or immediately afterwards, and as OTL sees at the very least return by treaty of Jerusalem, though if the Fifth has expanded the Kingdom of Jerusalem by any great amount he may get more.

In short, I think the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Byzantine Empire may be in a position to capatalise on the divisions created by the Mongols.

I'm thinking that without the spoils of the 4th Crusade, Venice would never develop a colonial empire--not to mention that most of it (Crete, Negroponte, other Adriatic islands, never mind parts of Greece) never fall into their hands in face of a functional Empire. Colonies in the Black Sea would be impossible in face of a hostile Empire with a navy worth mentioning.

As for Fifth Crusade, I'm not sure how that would impact targeting. My understanding was that the Crusader States were primarily in conflict with the Egyptians, and the arguments for going after Egypt directly are, if anything, stronger with a more functional Empire. The Empire doesn't need (and probably doesn't WANT) another offensive on their soil, as they are frantically trying to reorganize and repopulate the territory they already conquered.

The Empire has a less cordial relationship with the Mongols than historically, losing fights with them until 1256, and then later establishing positive relations with the Ilkhanate. It isnt't until after this point that they can start decisively meddling in the Levant. As I initially wrote it, I said that the Empire provided some naval support to the 5th Crusade, but could not afford to provide any land forces.

My thought is that this POD doesn't change the basic structural weakness of the Crusader kingdoms, which is a lack of manpower available on a constant basis, rather than intermittent crusades.

Eh, that's actually pretty well done. It's reasonably plausible, and I like the idea of the Greco-Frankish cultural fusion. Furthermore, this board is pretty lenient when it comes to Byzantinewanks. One of the most popular TLs on the board, Isaac's Empire, has a steam-powered Byzantine Empire taking over pretty much all of the Mediterranean by 1400.

I know, I've read it. It's interesting, but far more radical than the surgery I want to do.

For Pope, out of Catholics are Heretics. And for Ortodoxs, Catholics are Heretics. The word orthodox, from Greek orthodoxos "having the right opinion", from orthos ("right", "true", "straight") + doxa ("opinion" or "praise", related to dokein, "to think"),[1] is typically used to mean the adherence to well-researched and well-thought-out accepted norms, especially in religion. So Ortodoxs see themselves as true Christians and Catholics see themselves as true Christians. Exactly ıt was crusade...

I'm aware of the animosities, and probably in a more nuanced manner.

And you don't have to lecture a practicing Orthodox Christian on the subject. Note the pseudonym I adopt on this board.

However, a lot of this is post-1204 sentiments. Prior to that time, schismatic would be a more likely label applied between West and East.

But I'm less interesting in sharpshooting a tongue-in-cheek thread title than in the questions raised by the fallout from my POD. Do you have anything to contribute there?

Ioannes, go easy on him for a little while. As you can see, his English isn't great, and he's probably a teenager (we get a lot of those). In the mean time, keep up the good work.

One thing I'd thought about: Architecture. Your Byzantium has become more western influenced as the centuries wore on (not inconceivable, really). So, how is Byzantine architecture, which is rather unique as you know, affected by this? Is there a melding of it with Gothic? Cause that would be kind of awesome.

Ioannes, go easy on him for a little while. As you can see, his English isn't great, and he's probably a teenager (we get a lot of those). In the mean time, keep up the good work.

One thing I'd thought about: Architecture. Your Byzantium has become more western influenced as the centuries wore on (not inconceivable, really). So, how is Byzantine architecture, which is rather unique as you know, affected by this? Is there a melding of it with Gothic? Cause that would be kind of awesome.

I'm ignoring him -- I have neither the time nor inclination to teach both basic English and basic European History 101. I hadn't considered architecture. Not sure Gothic is going to go over too well with the more conservative elements in the Church, but I bet Antioch and Cilicia are going to have some stunning examples. And there is the Keeping Up With the Joneses (or their Italian equivalents) to consider. Good point.

I'm going to actually start posting the timeline shortly.

I'm thinking that without the spoils of the 4th Crusade, Venice would never develop a colonial empire--not to mention that most of it (Crete, Negroponte, other Adriatic islands, never mind parts of Greece) never fall into their hands in face of a functional Empire. Colonies in the Black Sea would be impossible in face of a hostile Empire with a navy worth mentioning.

As for Fifth Crusade, I'm not sure how that would impact targeting. My understanding was that the Crusader States were primarily in conflict with the Egyptians, and the arguments for going after Egypt directly are, if anything, stronger with a more functional Empire. The Empire doesn't need (and probably doesn't WANT) another offensive on their soil, as they are frantically trying to reorganize and repopulate the territory they already conquered.

The Empire has a less cordial relationship with the Mongols than historically, losing fights with them until 1256, and then later establishing positive relations with the Ilkhanate. It isnt't until after this point that they can start decisively meddling in the Levant. As I initially wrote it, I said that the Empire provided some naval support to the 5th Crusade, but could not afford to provide any land forces.

My thought is that this POD doesn't change the basic structural weakness of the Crusader kingdoms, which is a lack of manpower available on a constant basis, rather than intermittent crusades.

However, even in the first crusade, Venice, Genoa and Pisa had trading empires (including quarters in Acre, promised ones in Alexandria etc.). Without the massive gain in power Venice got after 1204, the playing field is more level, so we could see some interesting stuff going on due to the competition.

Good points on Egypt, probably turns out similar to the 5th Crusade, though it might just capture a few strategic towns for long enough to demonstrate that the Crusaders are still a strongish force.

Architecturally, I think we should look at OTL Venice, where we see a rather exotic fusion of East and West, and then make things a bit rounder. Perhaps we have some of the technology being applied, but not the aesthetics, such as pointed arches being built into walls, but with the large windows being in the more rounded romanesque style. Higher domes and towers, but still with the delightful tiered saucer domes and half domes that make the Hagia Sofia so pleasant.

Something else that should be fun: As it seems highly unlikely that the Venetian siege of Athens in 1687 will occur at any time around that, not to mention the various events during it, I reckon there's a 80%+ chance that the Parthenon survives pretty much intact to the present day. Which should be interesting to say the least.

Architecturally, I think we should look at OTL Venice, where we see a rather exotic fusion of East and West, and then make things a bit rounder. Perhaps we have some of the technology being applied, but not the aesthetics, such as pointed arches being built into walls, but with the large windows being in the more rounded romanesque style. Higher domes and towers, but still with the delightful tiered saucer domes and half domes that make the Hagia Sofia so pleasant.

Something else that should be fun: As it seems highly unlikely that the Venetian siege of Athens in 1687 will occur at any time around that, not to mention the various events during it, I reckon there's a 80%+ chance that the Parthenon survives pretty much intact to the present day. Which should be interesting to say the least.

I love it when some one discusses architecture. This is a good reference point with a few caveats. One being that Gothic was just developing in the Ile-de-France in the late 1100's. Most of the great French Gothic cathedrals, with the exception of Notre Dame, weren't started until the 13th century. So at this POD Gothic is still a sort of local variant of the Romanesque. Conversely Byzantine architecture is being rapidly exported westwards. In some cases its merely superficially such as Saint Front de Perigeaux which is an attempt at the spatial scheme of The Holy Apostles rendered in French Romanesque. Then there are there are some more stylistically closer versions like the Basilica di San Marco in Venice.

If the Byzantine Empire is more powerful and ergo more prestigious and the Crusaders have more interaction with it then this trend could continue. I would speculate that we might see Gothic radiating from the Ile-de-France and Late Byzantine emanating from Constantinople merging in Italy and Southern France to form a new style. Probably something that uses flying buttresses and lots of fenestration but keeps the large domes and spatial ambiguity of late Byzantine.

If you look at the development of Gothic we first see the structural system used to get greater fenestration, then greater height, then greater space (width/depth). I suspect we skip the second part and instead concentrate on greater space with attempts at large domed spaces. Ironically some great typological examples may be early christian, such as San Lorenzo in Milan (as it was not as it was rebuilt in Baroque style).

As for the rest of the timeline, it sounds very interesting to me. I hope you continue.

I love it when some one discusses architecture. This is a good reference point with a few caveats. One being that Gothic was just developing in the Ile-de-France in the late 1100's. Most of the great French Gothic cathedrals, with the exception of Notre Dame, weren't started until the 13th century. So at this POD Gothic is still a sort of local variant of the Romanesque. Conversely Byzantine architecture is being rapidly exported westwards. In some cases its merely superficially such as Saint Front de Perigeaux which is an attempt at the spatial scheme of The Holy Apostles rendered in French Romanesque. Then there are there are some more stylistically closer versions like the Basilica di San Marco in Venice.

If the Byzantine Empire is more powerful and ergo more prestigious and the Crusaders have more interaction with it then this trend could continue. I would speculate that we might see Gothic radiating from the Ile-de-France and Late Byzantine emanating from Constantinople merging in Italy and Southern France to form a new style. Probably something that uses flying buttresses and lots of fenestration but keeps the large domes and spatial ambiguity of late Byzantine.

If you look at the development of Gothic we first see the structural system used to get greater fenestration, then greater height, then greater space (width/depth). I suspect we skip the second part and instead concentrate on greater space with attempts at large domed spaces. Ironically some great typological examples may be early christian, such as San Lorenzo in Milan (as it was not as it was rebuilt in Baroque style).

As for the rest of the timeline, it sounds very interesting to me. I hope you continue.

This could get very interesting when it comes to the rebuilding of St. Peter's in Rome (there'll be one eventually). With a style already present in southern Italy that combines large domes with tall windows and a great degree of redolence for the early church and the original shrines that would have graced the apostles' tombs, we could see a new St Peter's that attempts to 'go back to our roots' by deliberately invoking the ancient domes, Mosaics and Arches of Rome, as OTL, but far broader and more open than the current structure.

It seems likely though that the Byzantines will at the very least construct some buildings using the gothic when it eventually reaches them (probably about the early 1400s). I suspect that the home of Gothic ITTL will be Northern France and Britain, even moreso than it was OTL, as southern France will have a style more similar to Venice of today, while I doubt the Byzantine influence will be more than in decoration in England (though the combination of the sort of mosaics we see in the Choir of New St. Paul's and the massive windows of York Minster and the like would be very impressive).

I wanted to build a timeline with as recent a POD as possible that achieved three objectives:

1) Roman Empire still exists in 1400 AD as a regional power at least, potential great power.

2) Roman Empire more integrated culturally and socially with Western Christendom without losing identity as an Orthodox state. "Renaissance" is a result of cultural interaction between Rome and Italian states rather than Italian states reaping the benefits of fleeing Roman scholars and texts.

3) Something left of the Crusader states in the Levant.

4) Did not have a major impact outside the Balkans/Anatolia/Levant until the 15th century, which precludes PODs like Heraclius living another ten years and kicking the Arabs in the teeth so hard they are never heard from again.

For there to be a major change culturally, there would have to be a major shock to the system, but no so bad as to be unrecoverable, like the sack of the City.

What I decided was "What if the 4th Crusade turned left at Albequerqe at the last minute."

The POD boils down to this: The 4th Crusade is camped outside the walls of Constantinople getting ready to attack again, and a disease sweeps through the camp, killing Enrique Dandolo and Boniface of Montferrat. In the confusion, the Papal letters excommunicating the Crusaders for attacking fellow Christians are published to the Army. At the same time, a monk arrives in camp, preaching that disease is God's punishment for attacking fellow Christians. The army immediately decamps, and heads for the nearest heathens available. Meanwhile Theodore Lascaris holds a coup which sweeps away the whole mess of Angeloi and establishes himself as Emperor. The Crusaders, followed by the Romans, actually head into Anatolia and straight for Iconium, where they topple the Seljuk sultans thereof, kicking over a pack of minor emirates along the way. The result is that the heartland of Anatolia returns to Roman control. I know it's pretty unlikely, but it's the only way I can figure out how to make this work out.
The problem is - how do they get there?

The main (?only?) reason reason they ended up at Constantinople is that the Italian state providing the shipping (?Venice?) dropped them there instead of where they were to go. So, they have no ships to carry them.

Can they march? Sure, but a force that size would have to pillage and plunder and devastate the land they crossed.

While they MIGHT do something against the Turks, they also might not, and they would guarantee active opposition by the Byzantine government. IMO.

Cute idea, and almost works, but I think it fails on logistics.

The problem is - how do they get there?

The main (?only?) reason reason they ended up at Constantinople is that the Italian state providing the shipping (?Venice?) dropped them there instead of where they were to go. So, they have no ships to carry them.

Can they march? Sure, but a force that size would have to pillage and plunder and devastate the land they crossed.

While they MIGHT do something against the Turks, they also might not, and they would guarantee active opposition by the Byzantine government. IMO.

Cute idea, and almost works, but I think it fails on logistics.

They originally landed across the straits, and then crossed again back to the City side. So they had enough ships at least to shuttle. The Venetian fleet didn't pack up and go home. In addition, I am pretty sure the locals would help them across on anything that floats in order to get them the hell away from their homes, and there are a lot of fishermen in the area.

Yes, an army is something like a swarm of locusts. But honestly, there isn't much the Empire can do about it -- if the Empire could concentrate the forces to actually defeat them, there would never have been a sack of the City. So with that, I'm presuming the decision is made to send what forces are available to shadow them and make sure they keep moving away from the City.

Battles are like dice rolls -- and it's necessary to the timeline that some battles go they way I want them to. That's necessary to any timeline that involves wars.

Actually, an even better existing example would be the architecture of Norman Sicily. It's already a wonderful blend of Byzantine, Norman Romanesque, and local Italian styles, along with major Islamic influence. The Capella Palatina in Palermo, for example, is every inch a Byzantine church.

On a related note, about your Byzantine takeover of Sicily during the Sicilian Vespers-I don't know how plausible that specifically is. I'd have to look at population studies and figure out how big the Greek Orthodox minority was at this point. I have a feeling that the Sicilians may be none too keen to swap one foreign overlord for another. HOWEVER, I can see the Empire establishing a protectorate over the newly independent Kingdom of Sicily, essentially making it an allied, and possibly vassal, state. Put on a locally respected but still pliable ruler on the throne, and you've got yourself a good piece of real estate without having to fight for it. As long as they keep a relatively light touch, they could draw it into the Byzantine orbit.

Actually, an even better existing example would be the architecture of Norman Sicily. It's already a wonderful blend of Byzantine, Norman Romanesque, and local Italian styles, along with major Islamic influence. The Capella Palatina in Palermo, for example, is every inch a Byzantine church.

On a related note, about your Byzantine takeover of Sicily during the Sicilian Vespers-I don't know how plausible that specifically is. I'd have to look at population studies and figure out how big the Greek Orthodox minority was at this point. I have a feeling that the Sicilians may be none too keen to swap one foreign overlord for another. HOWEVER, I can see the Empire establishing a protectorate over the newly independent Kingdom of Sicily, essentially making it an allied, and possibly vassal, state. Put on a locally respected but still pliable ruler on the throne, and you've got yourself a good piece of real estate without having to fight for it. As long as they keep a relatively light touch, they could draw it into the Byzantine orbit.

The population was a mix of Arabic Muslims and Greek Orthodox Christians, you do the math.

Even as late as the 1280s? Huh, did not know that.

To this day there are Greek-rite Catholics in Sicily and Southern Italy, some of whom still speak Greek at home.

Additionally, given that it ended up initially in Aragon's hands, I figure that the Byzantines would at least be familiar and more prestigious--if they keep the depredations of the tax collectors to a reasonable level. Which, given that the Empire is going to confiscate the estates of the massacred French nobility, will not stand in the way of turning a profit on the deal.